Leak on Official Civ Japanese webpage details on Gauls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that there is a ‘Belgian’ civ, I wonder if one of thwir alternate color schemes would be black/gold or red/god
That's easy enough to edit in : )

There is a declared colour of pure black that isn't used in the 28-colour palette assigned to civilisations. It actually looks really good and is quite easy to differentiate from the darkest grey shade when used as a primary colour. (It's just called COLOR_BLACK, I think it's used for text outlines or something).

On the other hand, almost nobody uses the qoton spelling in English and everyone uses the cothon spelling. A quick Google search confirms this. Since part of the fun of Civilization games is learning about new things, it's probably best to use the same words that everyone else uses so that players can find more information.
Hmm, I stand corrected: cothon isn't Phoenician at all; it's Greek, κώθων. I can't find in my notes what the Phoenician word for "harbor" actually is, nor even its Biblical Hebrew cognate. :( TBH learning anything about Phoenician is difficult without going considerably out of the way to do so. It took me ages to track down Charles Krahmalkov's books, and I'm still missing a couple, I think.

"Belgian" leader, "Swiss" UU, "Latin" UD, and mostly located in present-day France. We basically are getting a Western EU Civ. :lol: :mischief:
Jean-Claude Juncker leads Europa in Sid Meier's Civilization 6...
Capital: Europolis

I'm not positive towards any industrial zone-related UDs. Factories and power plants don't stack, so there's little use of having the 2nd one within the 6-tile radius of an existing one.

I noticed the names they used for the Incan civ appeared to be based on academic spelling or transliteration, like Mit'a, Warak'aq, and Qhapaq Ñan. There could be a possibility of using that kind of spelling, unless it's reserved for non Western or classical civs.

I'm not positive towards any industrial zone-related UDs. Factories and power plants don't stack, so there's little use of having the 2nd one within the 6-tile radius of an existing one.
For people who don’t just focus on deity / efficiency, I think the draw will be
1) it combines production and defense
2) potential for some nice early adjacency with iron/horses/quarries, since it apparently unlocks in classical
Is a third defensive district (on top of encampment and city center) that great vs the AI? Probably not, but I’m sure it’ll be kinda fun.

That's often not feasible, given the limitations of English; e.g., English has no simple way of distinguishing the sounds represented by Pinyin SH and X (/ʂ/ vs /ɕ). For example, English doesn't have a sound like the Q in qoton, which is /kʼ/. It's also not simply academic. Q is used for ق in all transliterations of Standard Arabic, e.g., Qatar. The goal of academic transcriptions isn't to be clever--it's to be precise. Plus, as I noted, "cothon" is already misleading because the TH isn't pronounced like English TH but like English T, which means that an English speaker is likely to get closer to the actual pronunciation from "qoton" than they are "cothon," even if they're not familiar with how Semitic languages are usually transliterated.

I think when you hit tonal languages you realize that putting things into Latin characters (or Hangul. Or kana) is simply a pointless process.

I think when you hit tonal languages you realize that putting things into Latin characters (or Hangul. Or kana) is simply a pointless process.

Reminds me of when I tried to explain the difference between "Shanxi" and "Shaanxi" to native speakers.:lol:

As a non-native speaker I think the current implementation is largely okay, we all know that we are not playing this game for learning how to transliterate/transcribe a foreign language.

(Although I do think things like "Xian" without the apostrophe (it should be "Xi'an") can cause a lot of confusion to native speakers, but let's left that for another thread)

It's weird to think that Gauls will probably reach Political Philosophy before Greeks and Romans, quite ironic :D

I can think of agendas not related to production and mines :
- hates those with stronger units, or a higher military score
- respects a strong culture output

It's weird to think that Gauls will probably reach Political Philosophy before Greeks and Romans, quite ironic :D

Unlikely. Rome's 2 culture from Monuments is huge and starts on turn 1. And turn ~20, or whenever you get a city down. Gaul might get culture from mines, but we don't know that for sure, yet. And, you need to get Mining and a builder to get there, anyway. Again, Rome gets culture on turn 1.

I assume the "build unit receive culture" ability will be similar to Gorgo's, provides culture equal to 50% (or less) the unit's combat strength. That might beat the Greeks to PP, but it is hard to think it can beat Trajan's free monument since it is effective since turn 1.

Well ok, not "probably", but potentially if you produce a lot of units. I was under the assumption that you'll get 100% of the production involved, but nothing proves it at this point.

Well ok, not "probably", but potentially if you produce a lot of units. I was under the assumption that you'll get 100% of the production involved, but nothing proves it at this point.

Well, maybe. If you get at least 50% and spam units, then you could probably beat Rome. But, then you aren't building Settlers or early wonders or anything like that. I don't know if that's a good long-term strategy. Maybe.

In regards to the mines/culture bonus, I’ve definitely seen the tooltip include some existing terrain yields in its count of yields from the improvement. It’s one of the more annoying bugs to build something and get less than you expect out.

Oppidum, Gaesatae, Ambiorix and Ebrones are very unlikely to be mistranslated, because they're not a translation, just a transliteration of the Latin.

What I think is more possibly mistranslated is 戦士 ("senshi") as "Warrior." I think probably 70% chance they mean the Warrior unit, but "senshi" can be any kind of soldier.
No need to worry, all one has to do is to simply check in-game :p Yes, I know for a fact that the starting unit is indeed the senshi.
upload_2020-9-20_19-31-58.png

There are some quirks about certain translations in this game too. For one thing, gold is called by its romaji spelling "Go-rudo" in the game as per the screenshot above rather than being called other normal Japanese words which mean money/currency (zeni, o'kane, kinsen etc.)

I was going to say that most languages work best in the script they're written in natively, but then I remembered Persian exists (my favorite phase of Persian being when they just used Aramaic as logograms :D ). Though Latin alphabet handles simple tone fine for languages like Yucatec, Mohawk, or Cheyenne. Complex tonal languages like those from East and Southeast Asia, on the other hand...

I was going to say that most languages work best in the script they're written in natively, but then I remembered Persian exists (my favorite phase of Persian being when they just used Aramaic as logograms :D ). Though Latin alphabet handles simple tone fine for languages like Yucatec, Mohawk, or Cheyenne. Complex tonal languages like those from East and Southeast Asia, on the other hand...

Honestly, the tone markers for e.g. Mandarin aren't hardly the worst part of transliterating. The worst part is trying to represent sounds like 'yu' and 'zh' and so on.

Honestly, the tone markers for e.g. Mandarin aren't hardly the worst part of transliterating. The worst part is trying to represent sounds like 'yu' and 'zh' and so on.
Pinyin is weird, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. Its slavish insistence on representing sounds as "coda + nucleus" is baffling, but once you know how to read it it gets better--certainly much more accessible than Wade-Giles, IMO. I do find Pinyin's tone diacritics much easier to read than Cantonese tone numbers, though. I've just accepted that the transliteration of Vietnamese is unreadable. :p

The idea that the Oppidum just directly unlocks Apprenticeship makes sense to me, because if it didn't you'd have to wait an entire era to build the Workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom