Legion versus Phalanx

Fuddster

Chieftain
For my first post here on the forums, I'd like to draw attention to a book I'm halfway through called Legion versus Phalanx: The Epic Struggle for Infantry Supremacy in the Ancient World by Myke Cole.

It's a fascinating look at the Roman Legion and the Hellenistic Phalanx, and what happened in six ancient battles when these two forces met. There is a lot of history about the evolution of both, with discussions about the people, the armies, the weapons, and the battles from the time periods involved.

The best part is that while it is a detailed accounting of those six battles, it is a very relaxed read. At no point am I feeling like I'm having a dry high school history book shoved down my throat. Cole has written several military history books as well as a couple military fantasy novel trilogies.

And right now the Kindle version is $1.99.

I'm not associated with Myke Cole or his publisher at all, other than I follow him on Twitter (he's very entertaining!).

I just thought there may be more than a few Civ players here who would enjoy a look at the realities of these ancient units that we push around on our screens.

Top Bottom