Let's do a Best Movies thread

unscratchedfoot

War is a good thing.
Okay we got the worst, now let's do the best.

Here are the movies I think are the best ever made. Please add a list of your own with however many you want with a comment why.

Starship Troopers: simple fun action movie, very creative
Cyborg: unique in being near silent, simple & good action, realistic crunches
Terminator 2: all of Cameron, Furlong & Arnold the best they ever were
The Unforgiven: best ending of any movie ever made
The Mask: creative & funny comedy with Jim Carrey perfectly fitting the part
Rambo series: rock solid story & action and Stallone is cool
Nowhere to Run: good old fashioned drama with nice fighting as a topping
Blade: who could ever have known Wesley Snipes was such a brute?
Blackhawk Down: totally non-fiction adrenaline pumper, wished I was there blowing away skinnies

Wow, unorthodox selection (by which I mean most people think those movies are terrible).

To sound pretentious, I will go with The Seven Samurai; although long, and it made the opposite error of too-gory movies with unrealistically gentle violence, it had subtle but deep characterization, and brilliant cinematography.

I'm going to nominate the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the first Matrix, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade just to get the obvious out of the way.

I like an awful lot of movies, most made in the last decade or so by American companies (Lord of the Rings being my three favorite). But, again in the spirit of sounding pretentious, I will bring up The Third Man, made in 1948. It had a sort of dreary post-war feel to the whole thing, and I really got the sense of an entire continent trying to come to grips with the horror that had just happened, as seen through the eyes of an American unwilling to believe the worst about his dead friend.

These I would consider to be candidates for 'the best movie ever', none listed so far even come close.

The Usual Suspects

The Big Lebowski

2001: A Space Odyssey - one comment, if you can't handle this movie because you have the ficticious disease of ADD, you don't deserve to watch movies.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Lawrence of Arabia

12 Angry Men

The Shawshank Redemption

Pulp Fiction

Saving Private Ryan - According to WWII D-Day vet very realistic.
Full Metal Jacket - Realistic Marine bootcamp. (Less shooting the Drill Instructor)
Duck Soup - Clever, witty funniest movie of it's era.
Frankenstien - the original.
The Godfather - need I say more?
Indiana Jones Trilogies
Bruce Almighty - Stupid Funny (and I'm not a Carrey Fan)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail- Classic stupid funny ... tis nothing but a flesh wound.
oh so many, so little time.

Goonies
Red Dawn
King of NY
The Wanderers

Now homeyg has a list there. That's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup: I'd add No Man's Land (movie about Bosnia-Serbia conflict, with opposing soldiers trapped in a trench together, with one of the best, yet horrifying endings ever), Dr. Strangelove, The Silence of the Lambs, and A Night at the Opera.

Here are my favorites.

Pulp Fiction
Clerks II
Anchorman
Indy Jones (the first and the 3rd are the best...temple of doom kind of sucked)
Kill Bill II
Jurassic Park
The Godfather
The Naked gun movies
Airplane!
Forest Gump
Star wars (my favorite is return of the Jedi)

Syterion said:
Now homeyg has a list there. That's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup: I'd add No Man's Land (movie about Bosnia-Serbia conflict, with opposing soldiers trapped in a trench together, with one of the best, yet horrifying endings ever), Dr. Strangelove, The Silence of the Lambs, and A Night at the Opera.

I'm going to try this No Man's Land movie you recommend. Thanks for that. The others, I'd rather go swimming in kerosene than go near. :)

homeyg said:
If you can't handle this movie because you have the ficticious disease of ADD, you don't deserve to watch movies.

Err, not to get too OT but I can assure you that it is very real, just because it is overdiagnosed doesn't mean that it is not a real problem, and I'd like to see you deal with it.

But now that it has been established that I don't deserve to watch movies, what other unworthy choices could I add? This will be my list of movies I really like, I do not claim they are "the best ever" but just my favorites:

The Lord of the Rings: All three, in descending order of release (ie I like the third one best).
Braveheart: So historically inaccurate as to be completely fictitious, but still inspiring.
Apollo 13: Also inspiring, showing people "just doing their jobs" but in the most amazing way.
The Big Lebowski: Just, well, weird.
Ghost World: Bitterly funny, hot actresses.

And lots of others I suddenly can't remember. I will add them as remembered.

Saving Private Ryan - According to WWII D-Day vet very realistic.

Not realistic.....at all.

The godfather: I love the cold calculated cunning of the corleones.
Jaws: The first movie was so awesome, i love the scenes with actually sharks, something they didnt repeat in the sequals.
.... brave heart........ fight club..... starwars.....Ghost Busters.... once were warriors...... lion king... crocodile dundee...... pulp fiction... harold and kumar... first night mare on elm street..... others.....

And seris...

Diehards: Awesome, blowing **** up.
Back to the Future:

Requiem for a dream is pretty damn good.

Here are my favorite five (in the orader listed)

1)Star Wars all of them-Duh!

2)Airplane!

3)Jurassic Park

4)Raiders of the Lost Ark

5)E.T.

Top Bottom