LINESII- Into the Darkness

Yes you should. If it isn't already too late... Quick! While Iggy is still sleeping!

Something strange happened! :scared:

ARGH! I just wrote a story about Crystalism, and it appears like a pentapost, and now it's gone!!!!

RRRRGH! [pissed]

MWAHAHAHAHH! Er.. I hate when that happens. Is a mod on the loose? :mischief:

Your sarcasm does not hurt as much as the loss of a story, you Finn! (not really an insult) Anyway, I will write anew. But bear in mind that the one I wrote was much longer and better written (I spent half an hour on that thing!)

That is the worst "O RLY" pic I have ever seen, I'm very disappointed Azash.

On another note - most of my stories will be recycled from one of Jason's aborted NESs a first. I wrote about 20 of them about the Gargari, but am going to have to repost the older ones so the new ones make sense :lol:

Hey Disen, if you knew me at all you would know I made it bad on purpose ;)

That is the problem, see? People remake their old nations and repost their old stories and are rewarded like they had come up with something new. Think of us newcomers who haven't had time to create longtime traditions and successful nations! Make new nations, I say! Come up with new ideas, I say! And agree with me, I say! :p

An Introduction to Crystalism

Crystalism as it is practiced today by the people of yath al'Shanaal was founded by the first Priest of their people, Vuori Lasi. His wisdom has been handed down from generation to generation as one Priest succeeded the other. Only a vague memory remians of the very beginning when Vuori Lasi met The Red Lady for the first time.

The traditions say that the Yath tribe were flitting around as they always have, when the came to the mountain range now called the Crystal Ridge. There, Vuori went up into the mountains to gather herbs and leaves for Divining. As he hiked among the crags and valleys, he discovered a small cavern in a steep slope. He went in, and saw that all the walls were lined with large, clear crystals. The small light that came through the cave mouth glittered in them and created an eerie light that seemed to came from everywhere. Compelled by this sight, Vuori resolved to venture on and explore the depths of this mysterious cave.

As he went deeper, the light became dim, and the strange shadows cast by the refracted light gave Vuori chilling sensations. Finally, he came to the end, and what he discovered was a crystal unlike any other. It was brilliant red, and glittered with unnatural brightness. It was imbedded in the rock, but when Vuori reached out to grab it, it slid easily out. Then, like a lighting, he was struck down by an intenst spiritual experience: a direct contact with the divine.

What Vuori had discovered was the sacred place of The Red Lady. Vuori was terrified, but luckily, The Red Lady embraced him as her mortal servant, and told him many secrets. Among these were the truths about the Underworld and the dead spirits. When Vuori entered a trance to divine, he contacted these spirits, but now he understood the Underworld with a whole new perspective. He also knew that he would gain great power through this knowledge. The Red Lady also spoke to him about crystals and their use in contacting the dead. This became one of the pillars in Crystalism, hence the name.

When Vuori came back, he soon rose to be the tribal chief of the Yeth. he told them of The Red Lady and her gifts of knowledge. He structured the tribe to be centered at the Priesthood, as Yeth al'Shanaal is ruled now...

More to follow.

Update 1- Prehistory- Year 220: Dawn of Civilization

In the beginning, the world was at peace. Animals and nature lived in harmony, all was unchanging and slow. Then came man. From lands unknown, the human species exploded into the world. The tribes of humanity traveled hither and thither, moving on from land to land. But one place was unique.

Surrounded by two great walls of mountains, a rich valley existed. The abundant resources and good life provided by these lands created an irresistable lure to anyone passing by. Over millennia, more and more tribes moved into the area, sparking intense competition for lands. This competition was the catalyst for the dawn of civilization.

The first true nation to form was Veritas. They were originally a powerful tribe, strongly devoted to their god, The One. But they were defeated by an alliance of other tribes, and fled to an island at the farthest corner of the known world. For centuries they lived, and their defeat developed into a pillar of their religion, the tale of The One casting them out of a paradise on Tellus (the mainland) for their sin and corruption.

Gradually, the Veritasians advanced, building a great marble capital on their rocky island. They faced their trials, but survived and came out strong, with their religion always showing them the way aread. Due to their belief that any human with power will be corrupt, they refuse to let a single man rule their nation. So the oligarchic Elders were chosen to lead Veritas, the Assemblum Popularum Veritasum was created to oversee their actions. It was declared that the years would be counted from then on. With the creation of this republican government, the modern nation of Veritas was truly born.
(+Veritas Religious Center)

As the Veritasians developed on their island, nations began to coalesce on the mainland. Because they were less into recording history than those living on the island; and more into fighting for their survival, the exact dates of their foundations are unknown. But it is generally acknowledged that either the Moguls or the Khemri were the first.

The Moguls built their capital of Delhi at the mouth of the great river Wardash, and fought off every tribe who challenged them. As nations around them began to mature, they developed into the major traders of the region.
(+Delhi Economic Center)

At the marshy mouth of the River Khim, the nation of Khemri was born out of numerous agricultural tribes, banding together to hold off barbarians to the west. The rich floodplains and rich fishing caused Khemri to become the most populous nation in the world, a title they still hold.

Khemri became a massive exporter of grains to less well-off nations. Due to the fact that the Kehexou people to the east were self sufficient, all of their trade would go over treacherous roads in the Crystal Ridge mountains. Bandits were causing huge problems for trade, until the frustrated King Alexander Khemr sent in a great force of spearmen to flush them out. While he has made trade much safer, the raiders still exist in very difficult to reach areas high in the mountains. Fortifications are being constructed in the mountains to ensure total safety for traders.
(+Khadon Trade Center, -500 Khemri Spearmen)

The nomadic tribes of Nurmafer have recently begun to close in on Khemri's western border, displacing or assimilating many smaller groups. How these nations will interact remains to be seen.
(+1000 Warriors)

On the far side of the known world, the Kalmar tribes have been united by a great warrior, Odin. The Kalmar are skilled warriors, but good farmers and sailors as well. A great port is being built by the masons of Copenholm, which will help facilitate great trade with other coastal nations, notably Veritas. The Kalmar people look forward to a bright future under the rule of Odin the Mighty and his successors.

Upriver from the Kalmar is the unique double nation of Dula-Hathran. The settled, agricultural Dula and nomadic Hathran were rivals at first, but soon realised that uniting would be a huge advantage for both nations. While there have always been a few tensions between the two different peoples, their union has for the most part been smooth.

On the hilly southern peninsula, the nation of Zibon was founded by a dark-skinned tribe migrating down from a land far to the north. Perpetually out of place, these people were feared by nearby primitives, for their dark appearance and their strange ancestor-worshipping religion. Fortunately for the Zibonese, they were used to fighting, and repelled all attacks.
(-1000 Zibonese Spearmen, +500 Archers)

Upriver from the Moguls, the Gerber nation formed. They enjoy trade with Khemri and Aney Tigot, serving as a halfway point between the two nations, but have mostly kept to themselves. After annoying a Mogul ambassador, the Gerbers went into a state of war with the Moguls, but there hasn't yet been any fighting.
(+Cirta Trade Center)

Just to the west of the Mogul Empire is what could barely be called a nation. The people of Kehexou live in small, scattered fishing villages, fishing enough to live comfortably. They don't really have a central authority, even their chief has little control over his quiet people.

Some sailors insist that they have seen land to the south, but this hasn't been confirmed.

Between the Kalmar river and the North Keran Range is the warrior Gargari people. The clans have been recently united by Karkryekoj Kerseyi Gargari, a very cunning chief who his opponents underestimated a few times too many. Now, the Gargari have begun to consolidate their control over their lands, expanding further into the mountains and further along the Kalmar river. Their regular conquests have made their capital of Gar Korays a rich city, but it is uncertain whether this will remain once the plunder runs out.
(+Gar Korays economic center)

The Nkondi have, like the Zibon, only recently migrated down from the north. They are a fierce, female-dominated society, as skilled at fighting as the Zibon but much more organized. A new group of soldiers, the Shaka, are being trained. They are very skilled fighters, and very fast. But their bloodlust is causing some problems, as regular forces are nervous around the mindlessly violent Shaka.

Teaching many youth knowledge normally held in the hands of elders has enlightened the Nkondi somewhat, but this education system is going to be expensive to maintain.

The Aneyan people of Aney-Tigot are a very unique group. They have lived in their single roofed city for as long as they can recall. The Aneyans disagree with the claims of the Moguls and Khemri to being the oldest nations. For they have been in the same city ever since massive forests covered the plains, believed to be over a millennium ago.

The Aneyans are extremely pale skinned, to the point of being almost 100% albino. They are also extremely tall. Due to their albino nature, they almost never travel outside of their shaded cities. This caused a problem in that they couldn't produce enough food, but they traded their refined goods to the Gerbers and Khemri for food to make up for that.
(+Tigot Trade Center)

From a sheltered valley on the east side of the Keran Mountains came the Eldranians. These people are deeply religious, following a faith quite similar to that of Veritas, hinting that they may be two branches of the same ancient people.

But there is one majour difference between Veritasian and Eldranian beliefs. The Eldranians were convinced that they were the only people, and that it was their duty to expand into the world. So all-pervasive was this conviction, it was no surprise to anyone watching them that they were totally shocked when their worldview was turned upside down by contacting Gargari explorers in the mountains and Dula-Hathran to the south.

The Eldranians, while at first very disoriented, quickly became extremely hostile to this challenge to their beliefs. On the command of their High Priest Eldan, they began to attack the people who shouldn't exist, namely the Dula-Hathran, in the name of their god Eldos. The borderlands of Hathran are already under attack.
(+Eldrar Cultural Center)

Far up the river Wardash are 3 nations, all radically different from each other. The Gorin are by far the most warlike and nomadic, regularly fighting minor tribes and sometimes even themselves. Fortunately for their border nations of Qua'laen Jal and Yath al'Shanaal, this aggression has yet to be directed at them.

The Yath al'Shanaal are more settled and peaceful. Their religion, Crystalism, is quickly gaining followers among the Qua'laen Jal and to a lesser extent, the Gorin. These people are not far away from building permanent settlements.

To their north, the Qua'laen Jal are by far the most settled people in their region. Their city of Har'luth has always been a bastion of civilization, from numerous threats. The latest is advancing barbarians from the north. Will these people once again battle back their threats?

A recent alliance between Qua'laen Jal and Yath al'Shanaal is likely to become quite a problem for the violent Gorin.

Recently, Veritas has begun sending settlers and priests back to Tellus (the mainland). They have created a few settlements, and conversion efforts on the local barbarians, who were very impressed with the strength of Veritas, are going well.

And here's the first turn map:

Do you think I should name that mountain ranges and rivers, or does it just make it unnecessarily cluttered?

cluttered.. make another empty map for those names :)

oh and.. my stats should have the spearmen but i'm going to create my own speicel army units (not UU's thought as they will function like the usual ones..)

Top Bottom