1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Murphy613, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

I am working on goblins, will start on archer and marksman soonest. I already have a goblin wolfrider and so does Deliverator (matter of fact, it was built from Deliverator's :D )

I am pulling the graphics for these from Dragonia II (Civ IV mod). The original graphics use loincloth, leather, and chain armor varieties. Any particular for your request? Otherwise, I will do a leather armor archer and a chain armor crossbowman and you can use them as you see fit.

An Orc Wolfrider and an Elven Wolfrider are two plausible varieties that I will also build in the near future. Oh, and a SPIDER RIDER!!! :D (ah, but I get ahead of myself - I don't have that kind of talent yet, Padawan learner I...)

2. Murphy613

Murphy613 Chieftain

I didn't notice anyone request that, but thanks! I never imagined this thread would be so successful. With the addition of Nomad or What's Lizardman Warrior and Spearman mod, we've got 32 units on this list.:clap:

3. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

I'm being invaded by Goblins! Oh my!

Crossbowman! Great! I forgot that on my list but I need it! Actually, my goblin crossbowmen are supposed to upgrade to arquebusmen (there's a challenge for you).

I'm also looking for goblin scout, tracker and ranger (one upgrade path of recon units). I'll probably use your "warrior" for my scout. The tracker and ranger have better combat ability, so they should have something better than a club. Maybe leather/spear for tracker and chain/sword for ranger. But I'll take whatever I can get.

Great job!

4. Nomad or What

Goblins with guns? Now there is something that you don't see everyday... :lol:

Should be easy enough to do, though - but what kind of armor?

I am almost done with the scout. Base scout is loincloth w/spear, tracker will be leather w/axe, ranger will be chain w/sword. Tracker has a backpack and ranger will use a cape - if I can get it to function properly :confused:. Hope that is acceptable :)

5. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

Sounds great on the recon goblins!

I think the goblin arquebusmen should probably have chain.

6. Nomad or What

I fibbed a bit. The scout uses a stone hatchet, download is here; the rest should remain unchanged. I will probably use barbarian hand-axe animations for the hunter (i.e., tracker). Ranger animations I am still thinking about; I am trying to incorporate cape animations like Civ V scouts do, yet still use swordsman mechanics. any ideas? :confused:

A chain-wearing, gun-wielding goblin arquebus. Got it. :crazyeye:

7. Nomad or What

So does anyone know where the Deliverator's dragon from this tutorial can be found? If there is an image of it in Civ V I would assume it has been converted - but he doesn't seem to have posted the files...

8. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

It's not in Civ5, there's a copyright problem I think.

9. Murphy613

Murphy613 Chieftain

I think it was copyrighting back when Kael planned to make a sequel to FFH. Maybe now that he's quit that they'll let us use it. I'd love to.
    I just added several great new units created by Nomad or What. By the way, most FFH units cannot be found on civfanatics so if you want to convert them you'll have to download FFH.

10. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

There's no copywriting issue.

This was a test I did rigging the walking Dragon that is used for Acheron in FFH2 to the animations from converted Kohan II Drakes then editing the animations for the forearms and head etc. This was quite a complicated job and I never finished creating all the necessary animation states.

If you want to convert the walking versions of the dragon from FFH2 that can be done pretty simply by following the full conversion tutorial.

It is worth downloading and unpacking the FFH2 art pack anyway because not all the units in it are uploaded to the CFC database. Also the modmods for FFH2 such as Orbis and Master of Mana have some great fantasy graphics that probably aren't in the CFC database either.

I still have the flying dragon files - I might be able to upload some of the blend, nif and kf files to see if someone can finish it off.

I also discussed with hugojackson18 the possibility of rigging the Dromon Greek Fire effect to have the dragon breath fire here. This is definitely possible, it just needs some bones to be added for the fire to emit from - take a look at the Greek Dromon unit.

At one point someone suggested switching the Dragon graphic between flying and walking states using Lua or SDK code which would obviously be pretty cool.

11. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

That's me. It's a bit of a hack, but the idea is to use Lua to swap between a land unit dragon (with melee animation) and an air unit dragon (with a strafing animation). The Lua is straightforward and the AI logic isn't too hard either: use air attack when possible (and melee not) and not too damaged.

If any of you excellent artists do the unit animations, I'll do the Lua...

12. Nomad or What

Good to know! I was curious because I have spent about 6 hours on converting this - using several different base .nif's - and having the same issue every time. Using your full conversion tutorial as mentioned (and I have made several successful conversions already - thanks! :goodjob:), I begin to have issues with it in Nexus. It appears beautifully in Granny, but when looking at it in Nexus it appears like this:

In-game it looks like a flurry of meshes. I have carefully repeated the process several times and it appears deformed like this every time. At first I though there was a problem in the wings so I tried isolating only the base mesh without the wings, but it still had the same distortion. Any ideas? If someone on the forum wants to take a look at the files, I will attach them with this post.

Yep, way ahead of ya - I have unpacked MoM, FFH, Warhammer, Dragonia, Kohan, and more. I am finding lots of hidden gems :) - and some unique issues with them as well :(. For instance, some of the .kf animations are non-Oblivion so they won't import into Blender. Anyone know of a workaround to this? I was thinking it could be done with a 3ds MAX plugin (import and then export as Oblivion .kf) but I don't have a copy of that software unfortunately.

All of this sounds like great stuff - and I am interested in finishing at least some of it off. Modders have put a lot of time and effort into making so much amazing art and I want to convert as much as I can into Civ V so that their hard work and creativity isn't lost. I am a huge FFH fan and I want to see the quality of the Civ V mods reach the potential that so many Civ IV mods did - and still do.

Attached Files:

13. ShiroToraRyu

ShiroToraRyu Civ 6 Modder

@Nomad or What

perhaps this will not help cause you already knew this,but deformations are mostly rigging or bone/vertex weights problems...

14. Nomad or What

I do know this but it doesn't hurt to remind me - I am still pretty new at it :)

I experimented with the mesh in many different ways to try to isolate where the problem could be. I tried weighting the entire mesh by assigning the entire mesh to one of the bones (knowing of course that it would ruin the animation, but I was trying to rule this out) and it still deformed. Usually if there are unweighted vertices it will not even export to .br2. So I have no idea what it is - which is why it is a good time to walk away and have some fresh eyes have a look at it. :confused:

15. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Had a look at your files. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to identify why the distortion is happening but I did find a couple of things.

1) Your animation .gr2 still has the model in it - you should uses Save Animation to create an animation file that only has the animation data. That is why you have the pink dragon appearing as well as the distorted one in Nexus Viewer.

2) Assigning the entire model to a single bone doesn't work for this type of thing. There seems to be a funny issue where meshes need to be assigned to at least two vertex groups/bones to not distort. Anyway, if I assign the two meshes of the dragon to only two bone vertex groups each and delete the rest then export to .br2, I can get the textured dragon to show up in the Nexus Viewer without any issues.

Spoiler :

Sadly so far I haven't managed to get a non-distorting dragon with the original vertex groups intact. I can't remember exactly how I got around this for the flying dragon test, but I obviously did. I know I combined the meshes into one, but trying that for this walking dragon doesn't resolve the issue.

It seems that it is something to do with vertex groups/bone mappings, but I'm not sure what exactly. I have seen this happen before so it would be good to get to the bottom of it. If we can identify the scenarios that cause this it might be possible to script a fix.

Attached Files:

16. Nomad or What

I am certain you will eventually figure it out! Thank you for the advice - I was wondering why I kept getting pink animations in Nexus! As a relative noob, I think I bit off more than I could chew with the dragon conversion - but am confident that it will eventually be resolved in time. The evolution of the import process has shifted dramatically in our favor recently - thanks in great part to tireless modders such as yourself. I would not even endeavor to import Civ IV units into Civ V without your tutorials - I would have run out of patience long ago. Keep up the good work! :hatsoff:

17. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

It seems that fantasy units are actually taking over the civ5 unit graphics forum for a change!

18. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Murphy, hurry up and update! This thread is getting quite behind the times;), especially with Nomad or What's monsters.

19. Murphy613

Murphy613 Chieftain

Not to mention your awesome elves! I have added them all to the OP. Thanks so for pointing them out to me.

20. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Great! And I've got orcs, dwarves, and Drow coming too - Nomad is already doing very similar orcs for Pazyryk I believe, but I've already done a few so I'll start an Orc Pack thread soon. The orcs all use Deliverator's spearman as a base.