LotR Series

While I'm in no rush to get Civ5, I know I wouldn't want to start with variants.

The LK series was mostly generic at the begging of 3 and 4.

For a while, it seemed like everyone was looking for more SGs -- without a limitation on who could sign up.
Yes, I'm surprised too how few SGs are running and how hard it is to fill up the roster. When Civ 4 came out, we could run several RB SGs in parallel, now I'm glad I found enough people for mine.

I for one have mixed feeling about the game so far, but I'm looking forward for some heavy variant games nonetheless. But I'm playing one Civ 4 PBEM and two Civ 5 SGs at the moment, so I'd better not sign up for more until one has completed. :)

I may help to to 1) post in the registration thread 2) put up a current signup on page 1.

I meant registration thread. Probably does not matter, but just another shot.

Yes I am quite surprised, but I admit I had not played or followed Civ4 for a long time, so I am not sure how it was doing. Did it have a nice jump of SG's to start off or did it take time to get rolling?

Maybe many are just afraid of looking bad in front of an audience. A few training SG's may be needed to get more players involved.

The General forum is still so busy, I do not open it, so there are a lot of players around. Once the General and Strategy forums slow down, I suspect more will widen their scope and check out this forum.

Right now they probably can barely keep up with those and their sub forums.

I just checked and there are 9 going and 1 more sort of going and 1 trying to get off the ground. That is probably not too bad at this stage.

For your "Angry" game, it looks really hard :eek:.

I noticed that you didn't ban the most powerful happiness wonder in the game, the Forbidden Palace. In addition, you didn't forbid the use of Freedom, which can be an instant 10-15 happiness, more if you run a hardcore SE.

If that is intended, then great. I know what I'd do ;).

I'd sign up, but I'm in two SGs in addition to two Civ 4 PBEM games (which granted only take about 5 minutes every other day). I certainly hope to grab a spot in one of these in the near future :).

Darrell

We have three signed up. If I get one more in the next 7 days, I'll run with four (or five, if I get two sign-ups). I'm willing to compromise to emperor if people want, but I think immortal/demigod is a truer test.

If I don't get filled in another week, I'll change my gameplan.

Arathorn

If one of my current SGs gets finished I'll join whatever LotR SG is starting at the time. So, there's a small possibility that I could actually play this one as 2 of mine are close to being abandoned and another is close to victory. :( or :) (depending on if you want my average level play). Just don't include this as a sign-up, it's a declaration of interest.

LotR29 Odd Aztecs
Version: Latest of Civ5
Civ: Montezuma of the Aztecs
Difficulty: Emperor
Map: Standard-size, standard # of opponents+2, 2 extra city-states, Lakes (hot and wet)
Win Condition: Cultural (all enabled but anything but domination feels/counts
as a loss)
Variant: Odd (described below) Basically, we will not build cultural buildings and try to win culturally
Start Date: As soon as filled
Arathorn
<open>
<open>
<open>
<open>

Odd!

We can build a monument but not a temple, monastery, opera house, museum, broadcast tower, etc. Wonders are OK but only those which have a purpose other than "just" culture (so no Stonehenge, for example). Details still coming.

Thoughts.....
- Cultural city-states
- KILL UNITS FOR CULTURE!!!
- Use/abuse puppets and hope they build cultural buildings
- Keep our non-puppet cities very very minimal

Side effect -- I'd like to experiment with highly promoted units. March, in particular, is an awesome promotion. Barracks + Armory and maybe a few other things will provide lots of starting xps.

Hoping for sign-ups this time!
Arathorn

Count me in!

In the HOF Beta 1 competition it appears the fastest date for culture games is with a single city. While we probably don't desire to do that, I do suggest that we keep our number of cities small. Note puppet cities don't count towards increased policy cost.

Other than the first game, the LotR series is almost always first come, first served. So, Sparthage, you are definitely in.

We can certainly make this a one-built city game and conquer the rest. That might well be best. But we might want to have 2 or 3 cities, simply to crank more military. I'm hoping puppets will provide some culture for us. I think we might end up puppeting half the world. :)

Arathorn

Top Bottom