LotR Series

My current game is full. Sorry. There will be more chances, though I tend to play difficult games. I will be starting another one relatively soon, I think/hope.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383236 is where it is. Many of you found it, but I had problems linking to it earlier. Internet misbehaving and then gone most of the day.

Final roster:
Arathorn (a lot)
Corbeau (0 games)
ThERat (2 games)
Jaffa Tamarin (5 games)
Kylearan (6 games)

Should be FUN!!!!!!

Arathorn

I broke down and am downloading the deluxe edition from Steam while writing this (not surprising, really). Consider me a sign-up for the next SG.

lurker's comment: I have no interest in playing Civ V but I plan to enjoy the SG's. Have at it gentlemen

Arizona_Steve -- too late for preferential sign-up for LotR29. That'll be first-come, first-serve, when I post it. Which will hopefully be before too long. I just have to pick which of my 17 seemingly fun ideas I'm going to go with first.

Lurking is absolutely fine! Readers are great.

Arathorn

LK, great to see you, aren't you going to get Civ 5?
Not in the near future. I'm still mostly burned out on Civ

I see even more old names since I first caught this.

Best of luck, gents. Not sure if I'm up for Civ again, but it sure is fun to wax nostalgic.

LotR29 Angry Aztecs
Version: Latest of Civ5
Civ: Montezuma of the Aztecs
Difficulty: Immortal
Map: Standard-size, standard # of opponents, continents, high water level
Win Condition: Domination (all enabled but anything but domination feels/counts
as a loss)
Variant: ANGRY! (described below) Basically, we will not have happy people once we cross a certain threshold fairly early in the game
Start Date: As soon as filled
Arathorn
Vmxa (24 hrs to sign up or lose preferential spot)
Aretii (24 hrs to sign up or lose preferential spot)
<open>
<open>

See first post for general rules and notes and such. 24/72. No worker steals. Maximal ethics.

ANGRY! Rules
(under construction)

Restrictions:

Policies:
No Legalism (in Tradition)
No Meritocracy (in Liberty)
No garrisoning cities if Military Caste (Honor) is active
No Piety at all
No Protectionism (Commerce)
No Humanism(Rationalism) or Sovereignty (Rationalism)
No Planned Economy (Order)

Buildings:
Circus
Colosseum
Courthouse
Theatre
Stadium

Wonders:
Eiffel Tower
Notre Dame
The Hanging Gardens

War:
Can not raze or puppet cities – must capture every city.

My thoughts:
Unhappiness has multiple effects.

At low levels, it cuts excess food by 75%. That means cities essentially stop growing and/or grow very slowly. This is not a huge deal, and it’s often temporary (though it won’t be for us). Population can be gained in other ways! :hammer:

At high levels, it also cuts production by 50% and eliminates the chance to build settlers. Well, we can still grow our population :hammer:, but we can’t found additional cities. That kinda hurts. Production also becomes relatively a complete loser to gold. By this point, I expect we’ll be very heavy into trading posts. Buy units cheaply, upgrade ‘em, etc. Food and hammers are both semi-nixed at this point.

Also, at high levels, our troops "lose effectiveness". I don’t know what this means. 33% loss of combat strength? I think I saw that somewhere, but it's hard to tell for certain. Something like that wouldn’t surprise me. We’ll find out for sure. But it’ll make our accumulation of additional population more challenging.

I should point out that the map settings will mean we’ll have to tech a fair ways – at least to Navigation. Fortunately, beakers are only indirectly affected by happiness (by way of population growth). So we will need/want a large population base. And research agreements might be valuable – or they might not be. Something to keep in mind and discuss.

Potential sign-ups, do note difficulty level and variant nature of this. Please be ready to at least consider the possibility of defeat. We will need good play and good discussion and good luck to beat this, maybe….

Arathorn

I'll pass, as my current game seems like it'll be containing a fair amount of happiness management while waging war. Looks interesting, though. Have fun!

I only just saw this, but I am holding back. Want to see, if Civ5 will hold my interest longer than IV did. Otherwise, I would say yes the variants are premature. Most are gong to want more experience, before trying variants.

The reason variants are appealing is that players had many games under their belts and wanted new challenges. Here we have not even tried many of the features.

You have a good point, vmxa. For me, though, exploring variants is a way to explore the new features of the game. Does happiness work? What's it mean to be unhappy? That's what I am trying to get at.

For a while, it seemed like everyone was looking for more SGs -- without a limitation on who could sign up. I guess some of them have disappeared.

Oh well. I'll be patient and if this doesn't fly, I'll get something else going.

Arathorn

Arathorn, I hope that the board slows down and you get the SG going. It is so hard to follow or contribute for me. I want to play and when I take a break to come here, server busy.

If it is not busy the pages get so many post I cannot find ones I wanted to follow in General or Strat.

Anyway I figure in a week I should know, if Civ5 will go the way of Civ4 for me or the way of
Civ3. Then I will be able to join SG's. I do not want to join and wish I never played the game as I did in Civ4.

Difficulty level scaring people of? Concept not interesting? Just nobody doing Civ5 SGs?
I'm lurking, but I don't feel comfortable joining when I don't have a grasp of the basic mechanics. I don't get much time to play except weekends.

I'm curious myself how unhappiness works and it looks like this game will allow us to figure it out.
me too.

The last LOTR game I was in got a little contentious, so I figure I should wait until how I've figured out why I can't just whip axes and go kill everyone. ;) :wavey:

Top Bottom