[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Is this the first real two UIs? (I know that the Khmer are also basically that).
Yes, although the Legions can build "Roman" forts in the Classical Era, but that's different as well.
Edit: Forgot about Brazil getting the Copacabana as well in R&F.

Last edited:
Looks really unique and fun, not unlike Polynesia in Civ 5 except more extreme. Very cool.

"Passable features" is confusing, though - do they mean tiles with bonuses on them on top of normal terrain features, or what?

The symbol of the Maori Civ:

Maori symbol.png

OP - until you read the description. "Resources cannot be harvested" "Great Writers cannot be earned"

So, they're kind of like another Kongo - some strong bonuses, but with some downsides. Certainly a very unique civ to play with.

So they're only

1. Starting a mile ahead of everyone else.
2. Better conquerors than classical era Romans.
3. Better seafarers than Norway.
4. Gaining free lumbermills on all forest and jungle tiles (yes I know jungle can't normally build lumbermills), plus 2 culture and 2 faith on those and flood plains if you invest in an Amphitheater.

This is honestly the first time my first thought was "OP".

I love that they included "cannot harvest resources" not just for flavor, but also to prevent the Toa from becoming the Legion, but better.

Sorry, how is this not a better version of the legion?

Combat strength: Same.
Can build a fort: Both yes.
Enemy gets -5 combat strength: Only Toa.

OP - until you read the description. "Resources cannot be harvested" "Great Writers cannot be earned"

So, they're kind of like another Kongo - some strong bonuses, but with some downsides. Certainly a very unique civ to play with.
Ok so there's a bit of a balance, which is nice.

Him i wounder if the Great Writer thing is in for the civ or not?

So they're only

4. Gaining free lumbermills on all forest and jungle tiles (yes I know jungle can't normally build lumbermills), plus 2 culture and 2 faith on those and flood plains if you invest in an Amphitheater.

Don't forget the extra housing/amenity in the palace, and the extra food on sea resources. They definitely feel very ripe for abuse. I do wonder if the best strategy is to search far for a capital, or go settle quickly, though?

So they're only

Well, I'm unsure if you want to build a lot of Theatre Districts. My feeling was always that the writers are the best of the Great WAM. Is it worth building those for extra culture and faith? We need to see how often it will feel right.

Edit: at 0:50 you can see that it works for forests and rainforests.

Top Bottom