1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I decided to make the best out of my start but as I'm playing along I'm not having fun so I probably will restart. I landed on a small island with one city state and near tundra while colonizing the next door island that is exactly the same.

2. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Pretty rad ocean start...

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I just started a game with them last night. Standard Fractal. Sent the settler one way, warrior the other. Warrior found some islands, but they were only ~10 tiles each, without a lot of resources, so didn't end up choosing that. Settler the other way found a large cluster of city-states - 5 or 6 of them taking up virtually all the coast (literally 1 tile that was valid to settle on, and didn't have any seafood). So I went inland to see if I had better fortunes. Saw a large desert, but kept going, and found Ik-Kil, with a little bit of jungle/forest around it, so settled there. Got 2 cities in that jungle area that are nice for the Maori bonus, and then snuck a settler past the city-states to get the Galapagos Islands.

It's weird - my capital has only gotten up to size 5, since there just simply isn't enough food around. But its production is fantastic - having 2 plains hill forest deer tiles at 5p each, plus forest/rainforest, it's still churning things out crazy fast. Ended up grabbing desert folklore for some 5-6 faith holy sites, and even got lucky enough to get Jesuit education. So now a bunch later, I'm just swimming in culture/faith.

I do want to try another game with them where I focus more on seafood, but they're a fun civ to play. I haven't chopped once, and I'm doing my best to not even build districts over forest/jungle (which is a challenge - my Galapagos city got squeezed in by envoys, and only pushed back because I won the WC to have my districts give culture bombs). They're definitely a strong civ, and a fun one to play (although frustrating before you settle that first city, not knowing where to go).

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Could always try this month's Game of the Month. :mischief:

Civ VI - 6otM 57 Details:

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Decided to try a Pangaea map and oddly enough I am doing much better. I have cities right next to Ha Long Bay and the Galapagos and even built Stonehenge in my capital. :crazyeye:
    Maybe you could become the Dothraki and explore the Dothraki Sea. :mischief:

6. azmundai

azmundai Chieftain

funny every time I goto war early they have walls up too fast for me to warrior spam them. blessed life i guess

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

Oh well. I set out to try a Toa rush and didn't find anybody around to rush. It was kind of like walking briskly up to shove open a heavy door, and somebody opens the door. "Perils" of an Island Plates map, I suppose, either nowhere to go or a wealth of choice. Meanwhile, was first to find about 10 different CS so high-powered capital, first to circumnavigate and a ridiculous number of Era points. Meanwhile, kind of forgot to grab more than one other choice site, and now picking at the edges. A different sort of learning experience.

8. McSpank01

McSpank01 Chieftain

The Maori have aroused my interest in the game again!

I've decided to play them in the way I play the Wood Elves in Total Warhammer.. ie, the angry GreenPeace faction. My idea was to settle and wipe out anyone who was polluting the atmosphere, razing all their cities and eventually settling and replacing the area with woodland and national parks! Its a glorious way of playing the game.

I would like to play a much more peaceful method of the same tactic with no war, just expanding rapidly and using Loyalty flips and hopefully get a larger empire, but its pretty hard as many have mentioned it very difficult to settle in a place that isn't already densely packed with Civs.

Victoria likes this.
  9. azmundai

azmundai Chieftain

its mind boggling. ive resorted to generating large maps minus 2 civs and 2 CSs .. and every game, the coast is loaded with CSs and 3-4 turns after I settle, there's another civ like 5 tiles away. i hate nerfing the game so I just go play other civs and its fine .. but I wanna try the maori ..

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I ended up settling near the city-states and carving up my neighbors for some room. It seems to be what the Maori are designed for with that sweet, vicious Toa. They don't really become pacifistic eco-tourism hippies until Flight.

Zaarin likes this.
  11. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

I have a question: the Marae description says "All tiles...with passable terrain...(woods, rainforest, marsh, oasis, etc.) give [bonuses]." Does that include grassland and plains as well? They are certainly "passable." (I assume that coast and ocean are not included.)

12. Eagle Pursuit

It says passable features, not terrain. So regular grassland and plains do not count.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I'm guessing it would include geothermal fissures and maybe volcanic soil. Anyone tested that?

14. Eagle Pursuit

Yes to Volcanic Soil. I am unsure about Fissures.

AmazonQueen likes this.
  15. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

Thanks. On my current map they aren't going to be worth much (likewise the unimproved woods and rainforest bonuses.)

16. Eagle Pursuit

Floodplains do count as a passable feature, as does marsh.

17. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

Thank you. Many of my floodplains have been bravely developed so won't count. "Brave but schtupid!"

18. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

If you want to win a culture victory and the Maori are in your game, you have to kill them right?

19. Eagle Pursuit

If you want or need to win it quickly, yes.

20. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I also had an archipelago game with them where I started on an island and not in the ocean. Weird.