1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I plan to swim around until I find a natural wonder, or Canada to forward settle and kill.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I'm just gonna land and toa the line toward CV.
    There should be a Moa resource to harvest, thats a mod I'd take on board.

3. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

I'm curious...

I see that they're designed as the civ that you don't chop with - bonus production to unimproved woods and rainforests, and cannot harvest resources.

But being unable to harvest resources - does this mean that you can't place districts/wonders on tiles with resources, or that you'll just not get the boost from harvesting the resource (similar to if you place a district or wonder without first harvesting.)

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Resources block districts, and presumably wonders too.

5. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Yep, you are blocked from placing them. They showed it in the livestream.

6. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I think if the dice rolls right with the Maori (regarding settling their first city) they can be a very powerful Civ. They get a free builder, a very strong UU and their UB the Marae is outstanding. Plus getting bonus production from unimproved woods and jungle as soon as you settle your first city is very strong.

I'm hesitant though to play as the Maori first in GS since, as I said, settling their first city is a roll of the dice. I'll definitely give them a go sometime though. (before the Inca for sure.)

7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, that part of it worries me. They kind of feel like they could be Civ5 Spain of this game.

George Abitbol and Jewman like this.
  8. Jewman

Jewman Prince

yeah but Spain in Civ5 was almost always worth rolling the dice with cuz that 1/500 chance of a great opener was amazing.

starting in equatorial waters and quickly settling a nice jungle coast could be extremely lucrative. imagine beelining chicken pizza.

9. Eagle Pursuit

I think, going Jungle will put them on the Culture path. While going Woods will put them on the Domination path (with Lumber Mills).

They should focus on finding these environments.

Jewman likes this.
  10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

If you've been stuck at sea for generations, you're just focussed on finding land, and grateful for whatever you get. :)

11. Jewman

Jewman Prince

Apparently the City State's Rapa Nui's Moai improvement cannot be built next to woods/rainforest. Interesting that it has anti-synergy with the only other Polynesian civ in game since Maori do not want to chop their woods/rainforests lol

12. Eagle Pursuit

But it references the controversial assessment that the people of Rapa Nui committed ecocide in order to build their statues.

Zaarin and Jewman like this.
  13. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Was that assessment controversial? I thought that's what happened.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Eagle Pursuit

It's considered out of date now. Scientists now believe islanders used a series of ropes to "walk" the statues from the quarry to their various locations instead of rolling them on logs.

15. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

The island was still deforested when the Europeans arrived.

16. Eagle Pursuit

Yes, but not out of some mad desire to erect giant statues.

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Not sure I buy that explanation, but I'll have to look more into it. If they didn't use it for the statues, then what did they use it for? Surely it can't all be boats (they were extensive fishers).

edit: I did look it up, and the rope method (walking the statues while upright) actually did require the least amount of manpower and seems like it could be what likely happened. But then what happened to all their forests? The forests were gone on first European contact (the statues were upright, and only were toppled after European contact).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  18. Cyberian

Cyberian Warlord

I guess contrary to what the CIV is meant to do I settle the first place of land I find. Not wasting turns is just so much more beneficial. If you disembark on turn 2 and settle on turn 3 you have such a big headstart compared to any other Civ you would have chosen.
    If you have at least one fish and wooded hills you can work a food 4, gold 2 and a prod 3, food 2 tile and you got the housing and amenities to go big fast. Its not that common to find coast without any fish or land without any woods or rainforest. Does not have to be the best spot. It could even be anything that has woods or rainforest. Even working just 2-2 tiles would be great even if there are no wooded hills or added other resources.
    If you find more good places later with your movement 4 water warrior scouts its not an issue. Just build settlers and get those as well by going there over sea. I don't see an issue on deity either since you can build slingers and warriors faster than others. It might even be an advantage starting closer to other civs as you can overpower an enemy capital faster than any other Civ. Could be giving you additional cities and potential capped builders/settlers faster. Better scouting and early uniques will probably also mean easy Golden Age for classical and Monumentality.

And if that Toa really is a Swordsman that might just add insult to injury. Swordsman Rush everyone to death bit it might not be a Swordsman replacement right? I guess this CIV gets nerfed so enjoy it while it lasts I will play it first on release.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  19. Harlequeen

Harlequeen Chieftain

I think the Maori will like Reyna's Forestry Management ability. Gold and appeal from unimproved features.

Zaarin, Deggial and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  20. Jewman

Jewman Prince

If you're Maori then you're definitely not going for Magnus first, which means Reyna is the shoe-in for first governor? or do you go liang for the builder charges + fisheries??