1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Scientist's RPC summary

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by madscientist, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

I love this idea! Haven't we played Zara though? Or has he already been selected with a different RP?

2. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

Zara was played in the wrath of the gods RPC.
    good idea for an RPC though, would need to be for another leader though
    I still prefer the no improvement game though for a real challenge!

3. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

If Atilla the Hun was in, he'd be a very good subject for the uncivilized RPC.

4. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

Just checked, all the leaders have been chosen. Guess we can't use this idea... :(

5. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

NAture-Boy Gilgamesh is up next!

Ideas for rules

1) We cannot chop forrests. We must use worldbuilder to add forrests to any city BFC grassland or plains tile without a resource. Unforrested hills can be mined but NOT forrested ones. Also jungles CAN be chopped but MUST be replaced with a forrest.

2) We can only build roads and improve resources. Cottages and/or farms may be built on floodplains. Workshops, Lumbermill, and watermills are not allowed.

3) We cannot build any Polluting Buildings, including forges/factories/plants/airports/drydocks/industrial Parks/ironworks.

4) We must adopt environmentalism. Nukes are forbidden!

5) There is absolutely NO restraint on the military game. He loves trees, not people!

I am undecided about coal and oil, but I guess if there's no Polluting buildings we are OK. No reason to omit railroads, tanks, airplanes, or destroyers.

What do you all think?

6. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

What about forest preserves? They're pretty tree huggy and may actually prove vital with environmentalism. (and you'll be showing off a rarely used civic/improvement combo)

Plus between the health from all those forests and environmentalism and happiness from all those preserves, your cities could grow huge if you can find the food. (probably will want corps again)

7. Stewie0416

Stewie0416 Who Cares?

I think it would be interesting considering I'm still coughing from your last RPC

8. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I'd say you don't need to throw trees in everywhere. Playing on a tropical map, and not being allowed to chop any trees would be enough. Maybe even throw in saying you can't build improvements directly in the line where a tree could grow (including roads).

Maybe throw in a rule saying no city can ever grow past its healthiness point (must avoid growth or whip to prevent that).

Finally, I think you should avoid sprawl at all costs. No unnecessary roads on every square - you may only build roads on a path to connect your cities together, and to connect to resources.

9. Joshua368

Or play an arboreal map. ;) (forests everywhere)

10. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

Adding more forests on all the grasslands and plains is overpowered. Plus, Emperor games for you have been too easy for you recently. Finally, adding forests on all of the those plains and grasslands is a huge hassle.

I say, leave those grasslands and plains alone, and wait for Scientific Method. Then, add Forest Preserves to increase the chance of spreading forests. Finally, you have to have a forest in all of your grasslands and plains before you win. So, if you are going for space, for example, you have to delay it until forests are in all the plains and grasslands.

No lumbermills?! Makes the rule above easier to cope with, as adding Forest Preserves won't be a disadvantage because the only thing you can add to forests in this game are Forest Preserves.

11. Ormur

Ormur Prince

I don't know about using the WB to add forests to every flat grassland and plain tile. Isn't that a little bit like cheating.

12. Joshua368

And between marathon speed (which does not scale forest growth), not building any improvements or roads on flat lands, and later forest preserves he could probably get his lands naturally filled up with forests the good and fair way. It might even be fun trying to fill every space up like that!

Or once again, the arboreal map...

13. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

This will be interesting - all that health and yet with so many trees it will be difficult to grow the cities in pop. Look for seafood.

I think you should insist that you capital build the National Park wonder before any victory can be claimed - with lots of preserves it could be quite a nice boon!

I agree with the road restriction too. Won't roads inhibit the growth of new trees? So only build roads through forests or resources.

Fun.

14. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

I think this sounds like a good idea but restricting roads will hurt you even more than you're already hurting yourself. Just call them dirt roads instead of paved roads and when you get to the industrial age, just insist that they were simply painted with an organic paint ;)

15. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

how about no improvements except on trees, so the forests have more chance to spread?
    Is there a way of giving all Mads units woodsman promotions free as that would balance the lack of roads

I thought that the arboreal map effectively cripples the AI, that was why it was banned from HoF games

16. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

Arboreum maps is one of the hardest maps for me (I mean the one with all the forests and deers and grassland). I always get trashed because somehow the AI chops like mad and invades me with a big army at monarch. But for this theme it is perfectly suited.

Boreal is one of the easiest map against the AI. If you have a good starting spot you outtech/outrex the AI like mad.

Forest preserves however are a must I have to say. You are a tree lover!! And with environ it is actually pretty ok. Good luck.

17. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

The Arboreum map looks interesting and I think I will use it.

So after some thought

1) CHop jungles, but not forrests. ONLY Forrest preserves are allowed, no lumbermills.
    2) No cottages or farms except for floodplains if I get them. Open grasslands and plains will be left alone and we shall hope forrests spread there.
    3) Unforrested hills can be mined, but not forrested ones.
    4) Roads and Railroads can be built but only enough that is needed. Summerians like to take walks and drives through the lovely wooded areas!.
    5) No unhealthy buildings and mandatory environmentalism. We shall beeline Scientific Method/Biology/Medicine if possible!

18. nbcman

nbcman King

Can you build polluting buildings after Ecology/Recycling Center? I know that will be late in the game but you may need the production from forges/factories if you are going for another space win.

19. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

You should really prohibit nukes: they deforest every tile they hit!

20. Joshua368

Not factories or industrial parks as those still produce unhealthiness, but stuff like forges/airports/drydocks/labs should be fine after recycling centers.