[MOD] MagisterModmod

I put the code in def onUnitCreated, in an else statement after bCrucible; Disciples won't get affinity while if the Crucible exists. The Pacts with Demon Lords won't give their bonuses then either.

About the iLevel assert you reported earlier: you are randomly setting the level of your sluaghs (aparrently spawned on graveyards) to 0 in CvEventManager.py:
Code:
unit.setLevel(CyGame().getSorenRandNum(7, "Grave Sluagh level "+str(unit.getName())))
That should be something like
Code:
unit.setLevel(1 + CyGame().getSorenRandNum(6, "Grave Sluagh level "+str(unit.getName())))
Please also check the other setLevel calls, the one in ScenarioFunctions, line 2739(?) seems suspicious:
Code:
caster.setLevel(caster.getLevel()-2)

I do have a question. Is there a reason it was changed that cities have to be 3 hexs away from each other rather then the base game amount which was two?

I redownloaded the mod. The Civilopedia is working normally again. :)

Another possible fix for the Arquebus thing (it hit me too lol) is to nuke Civilization4.ini's Game Options and Victory Conditions via either using the Play Now option, or manually doing it via Notepad. If that doesn't do the trick, purging the entire Beyond the Sword folder in "My Documents" should be pretty fool-proof.

Your case must've been a file corruption issue; I'm simply throwing this for posterity for others who might've had this issue.

Last edited:
Game crashes when completing the White Hand. This is a new installation of the mod so it's possible I may have erred in the installation process. Does installing the FFH2 media pack create a problem?

Attachments

• MM FFH2 Issue.zip
    203.2 KB · Views: 123
I debugged the crash. When the project is finished, the python callback tries to change the owner the city where the project is built (or rather, its plot), to Auric. Now the callback happens while the city is executing doTurn(), and changing the owner of a city destroys the city and rebuilds it. This means, when the callback is finished, the city tries to continue executing doTurn(), when it is already destroyed, leading to the crash.

@MagisterCultuum: If you really want to change the owner of the city the project is built in, your best bet would be to set a flag and do the project effect in another python callback, maybe when ending the turn. Allowing setOwner() in that callback seems too complicated, although I will try to at least provide a meaningful assertion message in the next version of MNAI-U.

Normally we play with Compact Enforced checked so Hyborium and Mecurians can't enter the game.
We decided to try it with them in again.
When Sheiam brings Hyborium into the game, sometimes they create their own city and sometimes they take over a city owned by a player.
We found this out in a multiplayer game when Hyborium took over one of my cities that I just built to gain my Horse resourse (critical to Hippus). It had the same religion.
We reloaded and it created a new one. Then my friend created a 2nd one and it took over a different city. This one didn't have the Ash religion.
I got frustrated and gave up. It becomes near impossible expand normally when another player chooses to build 3 Planar Gates one after another taking your cities in the process.
Is there a way to just have Hyborium create their own cities?

In the Body 3 Special Abilities section of the Civilopedia (and other places), it states "Damns to an afterlife in hell".
What does this mean?
I looked in the Special Abilities section and it doesn't have it listed yet.

In the Body 3 Special Abilities section of the Civilopedia (and other places), it states "Damns to an afterlife in hell".
What does this mean?
I looked in the Special Abilities section and it doesn't have it listed yet.

It means if the unit dies and the Infernals are in the game, it returns as a Mane. Same story as if the unit's religion was Ashen Veil.

It means if the unit dies and the Infernals are in the game, it returns as a Mane. Same story as if the unit's religion was Ashen Veil.
Ahh.
Here's another.
The Warp Bubble has an ability to "Move City" and a paradrop range of 21.
Does this mean if cast in a city that we can actually move that city up to 21 tiles away?

When the Infernal are summoned they take the city chosen by the def getInfernalIngress(self,iRitualistPlayer): function in CutomFunction.py, but there is no way that function can choose a city which does not already have the AV religion present and ti is very unlikely to take a city from a player with Av as a state religion.

I'm guessing AV must have just spread to that city right before this code ran.

If cf.getInfernalIngress(iPlayer) returns -1, then def doSummonDemonLord(iDemonLord, iPact, liStartingUnits, argsList): in CvRandomEventInterface.py instead picks a plot without a city and places the Infernal units on a Hellfire improvement there.

Infernal Settlers have the ability to create Cities in Hellfire, but the AI does not always use it.

In general, I find that unless I give the Infernals an established city they usually just hole up and never do much of anything.

---
The paradrop range has nothing to do with the Move City spell.

Warp Bubble can paradrop up to 21 tiles away, an ability that is rather superfluous as they can also move an infinite distance when moving like an ICBM. The nuke mode method however cannot take them too close to rival units or territory without declaring war. The game also takes a while to update the graphics after the nuke animation shakes the globe.

The Move City ability transports a city (and all your units in that city) to the current location of the Warp Bubble's Summoner. The summoner has to be on a tile that can support a city, not in the ocean, or a peak, or in another city, or at a unique feature. There is however no limit to the distance the city may be moved, provided the summoner can move that far before the Warp Bubble's duration expires. With Twincast you could load the summoner into one Warp Bubble to ICBM or paradrop him anywhere you like before using the other Warp Bubble to bring the city to him.

---

I just added a second Kidnap spell, to allow Council of Esus units to kidnap great persons that are rival units rather than only those settled in cities. At first I was going to just add that effect to the existing Kidnap spell, but the code is simpler when separate. I am still playing around with what I think the best odds of success are, and not sure if I want to allow it to cause war or only a diplomatic penalty.

I would like the Aphotic Throne building to have different effects based on whether or not you have the Council of Esus State Religion/Undercouncil Membership. Having the building help your enemies gain enough culture to overcome your Disruptions seems wrong. Being able to use the building to reduce your rival's culture or commerce seems more fitting. The xml does not really support different effects based on state religion, so I'm about to test out using two different buildings that get swapped in python.

Speaking of Warp Bubbles, I should mention: when they're around, their size is so big, I can't click on adjacent units to select them, which makes things a big pain in the backside as I try to load units into them. Can that be fixed?

I just added a second Kidnap spell, to allow Council of Esus units to kidnap great persons that are rival units rather than only those settled in cities. At first I was going to just add that effect to the existing Kidnap spell, but the code is simpler when separate. I am still playing around with what I think the best odds of success are, and not sure if I want to allow it to cause war or only a diplomatic penalty.

A simple diplomatic penalty (albeit a substantial one) would be best. It should be able to make a civ angry enough after 2-3 exposed tries to declare war on the offender, but it shouldn't be guaranteed unless they're already Furious or something (maybe a chance based on relations?). As it's a Council of Esus spell, do the Empyrean state religion and Guardsman promotion affect success rates?

Last edited:
Weird minor issue not effecting gameplay.
I play on Pc. My friend plays on his laptop 5 feet away from me.
His install has the original red start up screen. Mine has the newer tan start up screen.
Any way to make his load the same as mine?

A separate issue.
I read the Hallowed Ground section in the Civilopedia. It sounds great. I wished it explained how to create it and how to counter it there too, or links to those sections.
As a player, I have to fumble around the Civilopedia thinking, Is it Life Mana? Is it Spirit Mana? Could it be only by special units? probably disciple units? If it is a mana, which Civs start with that advantage?
Also, is it only on Graveyards? or anywhere? Can Graveyards be placed anywhere by anyone? Probably not those with Undeath. Is any Civ excluded, such as Sidar? Or would they be more likely to?

When I choose to play a different Civ, I like to do my research to see how this one might be different than another. So I spend a lot of time in the Civilopedia.
I know it's not a priority. I know fixing game bugs is more important.
Hopefully when those more serious bugs/gameplay additions are added some Civilopedia enhancements can be made as well.

Last edited:
His install has the original red start up screen. Mine has the newer tan start up screen.

To change the main menu screen (also changes the theme song as an fyi, they're a package deal), you go to advanced -> options -> graphics and change the "Opening Menu" drop down setting. I use the June 30 version currently, so my choices are Hyborem (the default), Master of Magic II (shown as MoM), Sphener, and a credits picture (shown as Thanks).

I most of my games I feel compelled to beeline for The Eyes and Ears Network, postponing any techs that don't lead towards Guilds because I know I can use the wonder to steal those from rivals. It was a fun strategy at first but is less enjoyable once it starts to feel almost mandatory. It also is really annoying if a rival manages to build the wonder just before I can and I'm left without the techs needed to fight a war to capture it.

As such I am thinking of changing what this wonder does almost entirely.

It would never steal any technologies.

It would still let the wonder's owner see what others are researching, but much more importantly would let the owner of this wonder see everything that all known rival civilizations can see.

The code for this is actually much simpler. It is basically the same as what I use for the Share Maps Overcouncil resolution, except not reciprocal.

---

What would you think if I let the Drown spell be cast on tiles with a Cultist, instead of or in addition to in cities with Temples of the Overlords?

What if I gave the Sheaim a similar ability to make Pyre Zombies out in the field?

Speaking of Warp Bubbles, I should mention: when they're around, their size is so big, I can't click on adjacent units to select them, which makes things a big pain in the backside as I try to load units into them. Can that be fixed?
Warp Bubblesare not the only units that are large enough to make it hard to select other units nearby, but are the worst offender.

I can make the graphics a bit smaller, but I don't want to go so small that they can be confused with Sever Souls of Sluaghs.

A simple diplomatic penalty (albeit a substantial one) would be best. It should be able to make a civ angry enough after 2-3 exposed tries to declare war on the offender, but it shouldn't be guaranteed unless they're already Furious or something (maybe a chance based on relations?). As it's a Council of Esus spell, do the Empyrean state religion and Guardsman promotion affect success rates?

Not yet, but I may change that. My first thought would be to just make the spell a lot more likely to succeed if the caster is not visible, as most Empyrean units can see them and the Dies Diei makes all of them visible within one's territory.

You can select which of the opening screens you prefer through Advanced > Options > the Graphics Tab > Opening Menu (the dropbox at the bottom) The brownish screen with a falling angel and credits to people who helped Kael out is called "Thanks." The Reddish one that was the default for base FfH2 is called "Hyborem." There is also a Sphener and a Master of Magic option. I think whichever screen you used last gets saved in the mod's .ini file. I usually use thanks and sometimes include the .ini with my mod but have left it out of at least one version. I don't think it really matters as the game will generate a new one upon starting.
A separate issue.
I read the Hallowed Ground section in the Civilopedia. It sounds great. I wished it explained how to create it and how to counter it there too, or links to those sections.
As a player, I have to fumble around the Civilopedia thinking, Is it Life Mana? Is it Spirit Mana? Could it be only by special units? probably disciple units? If it is a mana, which Civs start with that advantage?
Also, is it only on Graveyards? or anywhere? Can Graveyards be placed anywhere by anyone? Probably not those with Undeath. Is any Civ excluded, such as Sidar? Or would they be more likely to?

When I choose to play a different Civ, I like to do my research to see how this one might be different than another. So I spend a lot of time in the Civilopedia.
I know it's not a priority. I know fixing game bugs is more important.
Hopefully when those more serious bugs/gameplay additions are added some Civilopedia enhancements can be made as well.

Hallowed Ground is used in some scenarios (most notably the Fane of the Lessers, where it makes the mountain ranges impassible to the demons and stops hell terrain from spreading except through the 3 passes), but I assume your inquiry was more around a normal game.

The feature can be placed on Graveyards by the Sign Arawn Constellation event. Those Hallowed Ground features are temporary and will revert after a random number of turns (less than 10).

(In the last release the event did nothing to graveyards that already had Hallowed Ground. I just changed that so it increases the TempFeatureTimer by up to 10 as well.)

Most of the time the feature is created through (Arawn) Death magic.

Arawn's Death 1 or Death Affinity allows Hallowed Graveyard, which places Hallowed Ground on the tile as a temporary terrain feature.

The Hallowed Ground will last longer if cast with affinity, but the tile's feature will eventually revert to whatever it was before being hallowed.

Hallowed Graveyard can be cast on a variety of improvements, including Graveyards, Barrows, Ruins, and City Ruins, but will place a Graveyard improvement on the tile if it is not there already.

Graveyards allow the use of Rob Graveyard ability. Using this will always remove the Hallowed Ground feature, making the previous feature return.

In the version currently on my computer, only evil players may cast Rob Graveyard while on Hallowed Ground. I think that was a change made after the last release though.

Arawn's Death Affinity + Channeling 3 allows the Unseal Well ability, which may only be cast at the site of Bradeline's Well. It places Hallowed Ground on that and all adjacent tiles, reduces the plot counter to 0 to the tiles cannot be hell terrain, and removed Tormented Souls.

Undeath Affinity + Channeling 3 allows Seal well, which may also only be cast at the site of Bradeline's Well. It places Tormented Souls on that tile and Defiles it and all adjacent tiles, removing Hallowed Ground and changing the plots to Hell terrain.

(The Wonder and Read the Infernal Grimoire spells may also randomly trigger that Defile ability, removing Hallowed Ground and making Hell terrain.)

The Spirit 3/Spirit Affinity+Channeling 3 Assuage spell transformed Tormented Souls to Hallowed Ground, but Tormented Souls don't often appear outside of scenarios except for from Seal Well.

It looks like Life1/Life Affinity's Sanctify also places (permanent) Hallowed Ground on graveyards, as well as summoning Tomb Warden's there. I had forgotten about that and will likely change it.

The Chancel of the Guardian building also had a per turn effect equivalent to Sanctify, also creating Hallowed Ground on graveyard and summoning Tomb Wardens.

Last edited:
Wow! That's a lot of information. Thank you.
I'm sure you figured out that would be a lot less to repeat if others could read it, or more detail on others such as: Diseased, Fatigued or Plagued and how to reverse them or prevent them in the first place, in their Civilopedia. ;)
I don't think Life1/Life Affinity's Sanctify is too powerful as it's effect is not on all tiles. Most Life users don't have an uber powerful unit like a dragon or Auric's late game Ice units. Yet, Life should prevail.

Hey, when the Illians construct their Temple of the Hand, it snows over the land.
This actually looks pretty cool (no pun intended) and I like playing the Illians because of this and their long term goals and Rituals.
If these tiles are melted with Scorch to Tundra can the Illians permanently turn a tile back to snow somehow?
I know the Snowfall spell changes them to snow temporarily.
If not, this would be a nice ability for Drifa the White Dragon and perhaps other high level Ice type units like some kind of Ice version of an Eidolon since they are already Evil or Illian Knights or Nive Frost Wolves or Aquilian birds.

Last edited:
I hoped that building a temple of Empyrean would reduce local instability to rebel, but alas, it did not.
Any chance that temples will soon be able to?
Or at least certain ones.

Do stability bonuses of the same type stack?
For example, If I build a Dungeon in one city, I gain +1 local stability and +1 national stability.
If I build another in a 2nd city, that city too should have the same, but will it gain another +1 from the other dungeon's +1 national stability bonus as well for a total bonus of +3 each?

Last edited:
Speaking of religions, I have noticed the following: a good-leaning civilization can have up to 4 religions coexisting on all its cities (and have up to 12 mana types via shrines), while an evil-leaning civ can have 5 religions (and enjoy 15 mana types via shrines). As it is currently, that's because the Order is incompatible with the Ashen Veil and Overlords, and the Empyrean is in compatible with the Veil and Council of Esus, with Runes of Kilmorph and Fellowship of Leaves being compatible with everything. This means a civ can have 4 combinations, ignoring special cases like the Hand, the Dragon cults, and the Children of the One:
  1. Order - Empyrean - Runes - Fellowship
  2. Order - Esus - Runes - Fellowship
  3. Empyrean - Overlords - Runes - Fellowship
  4. Veil - Esus - Overlords - Runes - Fellowship
How much sense would it make for Runes and Esus to conflict with each other? I know Kilmorph worshipers have it against Mammon the most, but would they see the Council as enough of an enabler to act against them? I'm not sure if they're able to even uproot a Council infestation in the first place; that sounds like something only the Empyrean is able to do.

Would Runes and the Veil also conflict with each other, or they don't care that much for each other? I see the Veil hijacking the Runes for its own ends, really.

Petitioning to give Illans a unique version of the Summer Palace that's functionally identical but just named "Other Winter Palace" as to not ruin my immersion.

Top Bottom