Main Download Information

Work is continuing?! That's great news. At least, I'd love to see the bugs fixed. Just had a CTD on a game I'd been playing. Always a sad thing. :(

I might be willing to lend a hand. Ess Tee Eee Vee Eee at crocker dot com. C++ programmer. I have mod experience on M&B and Sots (scripts / code / data files, not art/modeling). buzz me if you're interested. :p

Firstly, thanks for producing such an awesome mod!

If feature requests are still being taken, lately the way routes are used in CIV IV really bugs me. I had a quick search for a mod that changes the way roads work but didnt find much. I know i'm not the only one who dislikes roads on every tile, i've seen it mentioned a number of times in other threads.

Here's what i'd love to see:

• Remove production and commerce bonuses for certain improvements with a route. OR change so improvements get the bonus if they're within 2 plots of a route.
  • Don't link routes of different types (seeing MagLev routes change to link up with a cart path is just silly)
  • Routes cost money to upkeep
  • No half bridges

Is this kind of thing feasible?

Firstly, thanks for producing such an awesome mod!

If feature requests are still being taken, lately the way routes are used in CIV IV really bugs me. I had a quick search for a mod that changes the way roads work but didnt find much. I know i'm not the only one who dislikes roads on every tile, i've seen it mentioned a number of times in other threads.

Here's what i'd love to see:

• Remove production and commerce bonuses for certain improvements with a route. OR change so improvements get the bonus if they're within 2 plots of a route.
  • Don't link routes of different types (seeing MagLev routes change to link up with a cart path is just silly)
  • Routes cost money to upkeep
  • No half bridges

Is this kind of thing feasible?

Are you serious? Road maintenance is one of the things that made Civ V so horrible. It would not be a smart move at all.

I've not played civ V so i wouldnt know about that :)

i just dont like the look of roads on every tile, they're very unrealistic and make my perfectly micromanaged terrain look a complete mess :(

I've not played civ V so i wouldnt know about that :)

i just dont like the look of roads on every tile, they're very unrealistic and make my perfectly micromanaged terrain look a complete mess :(

That's the same reason the Civ V designers did it, and it turned into a mess.

To quote Sulla, "Civ5's design suffers from way too many of these penalties, in which the player is actually hurt for doing something good. The classic example of this is road maintenance, something new to Civ5 with no previous precedent in the series. In past games, there was never a cost associated with building roads. It was understood that the "cost" of building a road with a settler/worker unit was an opportunity cost, because the unit in question couldn't be building a farm or mine or whatever while it was building a road.

In Civ4, for example, building lots of roads early on with workers is a very weak play, because roads only increase unit movement and do not boost tile yields. Civ5's decision to penalize players for building roads is simply baffling, especially since roads are still mandatory to connect cities for trade routes. The game might as well be laughing at you: "Haha, you need this road to connect your cities, but it's gonna cost you!" This design decision alone essentially cripples any chance of Civ5 Multiplayer succeeding, because any competent online player knows that you can never have only one road link to each city. But building the necessary road network you need to be safe carries a crippling economic burden in Civ5 - the player is literally getting slammed for good play!"

It wasn't that bad in Civ V. It isn't like you will go bankrupt unless your economy is stifled. The game is much more realistic with road maintenance anyway. Just make it an option pre-game start.

The bad thing in Civ V was the worker automation... spamming roads and trading posts but that seems to have been taken care of now. I'd love to see some things from Civ V brought into AND such as the way naval war is played and units can be killed by bombardment from archers, cannons, navy, etc... but I'd love to see much much more AND things brought into Civ V... I still don't like Civ V much.

It wasn't that bad in Civ V. It isn't like you will go bankrupt unless your economy is stifled. The game is much more realistic with road maintenance anyway. Just make it an option pre-game start.

The bad thing in Civ V was the worker automation... spamming roads and trading posts but that seems to have been taken care of now. I'd love to see some things from Civ V brought into AND such as the way naval war is played and units can be killed by bombardment from archers, cannons, navy, etc... but I'd love to see much much more AND things brought into Civ V... I still don't like Civ V much.

But what is the point of it? Does it serve any purpose except making the game "look" more realistic?

In war for example, mobility is usually the key to defending or losing a city. If the enemy can push into the territory enough to disrupt your roads between cities, that would give a huge advantage. Spamming the entire territory with roads isn't realistic... so even if you would do it, you'll be paying for it with increased maintenance costs. It just makes more sense.

In war for example, mobility is usually the key to defending or losing a city. If the enemy can push into the territory enough to disrupt your roads between cities, that would give a huge advantage. Spamming the entire territory with roads isn't realistic... so even if you would do it, you'll be paying for it with increased maintenance costs. It just makes more sense.

Why would I spam the entire thing with roads? I don't do it on hilly or forested terrain unless it is more convenient. Civ IV roads are much more realistic than in Civ V.

It doesn't matter _why_. It matters that it is _possible_ to spam roads on entire territory without any real consequence. In fact, you'd be crazy not to. _Especially_ in those tiles with +25-50% defensive bonuses... I would love quick access to those tiles. So, having to pay per turn to upkeep my infrastructure is realistic. Free infrastructure is _not_ realistic. Repeating the antecedent doesn't make it true.

Spamming roads everywhere is, in fact, completely realistic. Anywhere on this planet with a city anywhere near it is positively crowded with roads leading everywhere (and, occasionally, nowhere). Based on the real earth you should not only have routes on all such plots but be able to build multiple copies of each type of route on them (making it take longer to destroy all the routes).

Even on the largest maps that represent an entire planet, a single plot is about 100 miles across in both directions for equatorial plots (away from the equator the E-W distance should shrink, but doesn't), and it is larger for smaller maps. Good luck finding very many places on the planet Earth that measures 100 miles by 100 miles that do not have some sort of road (or, at least, dirt path) or railroad in it. Antarctica, central Greenland and some other arctic locations, and probably some large deserts and a few large regions of jungle with lots of waterways are the main places you could find such locations (most of them have few people living there, some of them have none). Other than that, they are very rare.

As for cost, roads that connect places to other places (like the places your food and other things come from) pay for themselves. The increased commercial activity more than covers the cost. If this were not true, you would not be able to find them all over the place in the real world.

As long as we are talking "realistic", you should not be able to work (at all) a plot that is not connected to the city via a route of some sort (rivers count as routes for this). Hauling tons of broccoli (or whatever it is that the farm 2 plots away from your city is growing that has no specific resource) across 100 miles or more of roadless and riverless terrain just does not happen, except in the modern world where stuff can (but mostly isn't, except in an emergency) be moved by air. From a game play perspective this would make pillaging the plots around an enemy city more effective.

Spamming roads everywhere is, in fact, completely realistic. Anywhere on this planet with a city anywhere near it is positively crowded with roads leading everywhere (and, occasionally, nowhere). Based on the real earth you should not only have routes on all such plots but be able to build multiple copies of each type of route on them (making it take longer to destroy all the routes).

Even on the largest maps that represent an entire planet, a single plot is about 100 miles across in both directions for equatorial plots (away from the equator the E-W distance should shrink, but doesn't), and it is larger for smaller maps. Good luck finding very many places on the planet Earth that measures 100 miles by 100 miles that do not have some sort of road (or, at least, dirt path) or railroad in it. Antarctica, central Greenland and some other arctic locations, and probably some large deserts and a few large regions of jungle with lots of waterways are the main places you could find such locations (most of them have few people living there, some of them have none). Other than that, they are very rare.

As for cost, roads that connect places to other places (like the places your food and other things come from) pay for themselves. The increased commercial activity more than covers the cost. If this were not true, you would not be able to find them all over the place in the real world.

As long as we are talking "realistic", you should not be able to work (at all) a plot that is not connected to the city via a route of some sort (rivers count as routes for this). Hauling tons of broccoli (or whatever it is that the farm 2 plots away from your city is growing that has no specific resource) across 100 miles or more of roadless and riverless terrain just does not happen, except in the modern world where stuff can (but mostly isn't, except in an emergency) be moved by air. From a game play perspective this would make pillaging the plots around an enemy city more effective.

Here! Here! Well said G-E, Well said! This whole "spamming" idea has ruined many a good feature of BtS with needless restrictions and penalties.

It's really quite simple. If you don't like something in the game leave it alone! Because someone else Does enjoy it. And your perception now impedes their pleasure and reason to play. If it bothers you enough build your own mod how you want and play it.

JosEPh :)

It's really quite simple. If you don't like something in the game leave it alone! Because someone else Does enjoy it. And your perception now impedes their pleasure and reason to play. If it bothers you enough build your own mod how you want and play it.

JosEPh :)

I totally agree. :)
In fact, that's what I've done, although some rebalancing I've made are meant for normal gamespeed which was not very well balanced in the original game because that speed wasn't meant to be used.

Using SVN for

1) Download and install Tortoise SVN if you don't already have it (http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html)

2) Prepare a folder to contain your copy of the project
Create an empty directory that will hold your working copy (i.e. - local directory on your machine which will be your 'image' of the central repository - this is where you will make your changes when you want to contribute them and where other people's changes will sync down to). I strongly recommend that this is NOT your 'live' copy in 'program files/firaxis/...'. Mine is in \development\RoMAND, but the location doesn't matter - just put it somewhere convenient where you have space.

3) Checkout from the repository to the folder you created in (2). This will get the current revision and make a permanent connection between your working folder and the repository. Assuming you have installed SVN as in (1) you can do this by right-clicking the directory in Windows Explorer and selecting 'Tortoise SVN/Checkout...'

When it asks you for the repository URL enter:

https://anewdawn.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/anewdawn/Trunk/Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn/

Future refreshes or uploads (aka Commits) only get changed files, so they will be much, much faster, especially since the really big things like art assets and movies don't tend to change much.

4) After it's all copied you are up and running! :thumbsup:

Getting the current version into play:

1) Create an empty folder somewhere not inside 'program files'
2) Right click and drag the root folder of your working copy to this new folder
3) Select the 'export versioned items here' option
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it to Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn)

*Edit* fixed repository url, also removed coinage fix link as its now included in the svn.

Your URL is still screwed up. You want:

https://anewdawn.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/anewdawn/Trunk/Rise%20of%20Mankind%20-%20A%20New%20Dawn/

Top Bottom