Many Leaders Game 2 - Sword Training

Ozbenno said:
Gandhi was chosen as the tech hungry AI (runner up Mansu), Alex as the backstabbing crazy person (runner up Montezuma), Kublai as a cross between the two leaders above (runner up Qin), Mehmed for the exp/org traits as the AI tends to expand faster and harder in BtS. Washington and Churchill were fairly random picks.

I was expecting Tokugawa to make the Apostolic victories harder. Mehemed was grumpy when I met him, as he usually is when met later in the game. I'm sure I can soften him up.

Nice empire Oz. Your 'horsehockey ice town' at least got the fish. I foolishly settled one tile south because I didn't see them. Being peaceful certainly helps the tech rate. Still, I'm enjoying the savage nature of my game.

Gilgamesh 1400ad

The Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/90414/Gilgamesh_AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave

Spoiler :
Another peaceful round. Got involved in a faux war between GK and GW but no military action. Apart from that growing cities and a bit more research.
Marble island has become a 2 city colony governed by Hammurabi.
Established a city near the stone.

Had a couple of golden ages: one from music's free artist, other from Taj Mahal.

Techwise: machinery, music, optics, philosophy, nationalism, paper, construction (trade), eng, feud, guilds, educ, banking, economics (GM), constitution, drama, PP(1 turn to go).

Got circumnavigation in 1140. Gandhi has built AP. Couple of small wars between AI. Its a bit dull really.

Wonders: Colossus (980ad!), Taj, Notre Dame.

Thoughts for next round:
Spoiler :
Haven't picked up liberalism, no real pressure but I'll probably pick it up next and get democracy. Maybe a quick GA while swopping civix then go gunpowder-chemistry-steel-milsci.
One thing I've noticed is that compared to monarch AIs tech really slowly, even more noticable in BTS so if I'm going for space I'm going to have to research the tech tree by myself. This means a substantially larger empire than I have at present.
So I feel war coming on next round; try to wipe out Alex, Gandhi, probably Ch'ill, maybe Kublai. Mind you, if i get that far with a veteran army its probably as easy to go for conquest or domination :mischief: .

Report from Lisboa, 1400 AD
Spoiler :
Turn 152 Finished Calendar. Research set in Paper

Turn 154 Taoism founded in York

Turn 155 Chirstianity FIADL

Turn 157 Gandhi cristian missionary detected in our lands

Turn 165 Ottomans appear in scene. They are the weakest link of the game...

Turn 166 Rushed Sankore ( it makes sense: I’m the only confucian and I’ve a lot of temples )

Turn 167 Another tech from hut ( :p to those that got BW from huts :lol: )

Turn 168 Chirstianity is spreading like bush fire in the east of the empire. War with Gandhi for holy city looks inevitable in the long run.

Turn 171 IBT Gandhi still in the weed:

Turn 175 Education is in. Lib for astro is online ( 7 turns )

First step for colony:

Turn 176 IBT traded Paper for Feudalism ( need it for Guilds )

Turn 177 I discovered that the world is round and a spy ( betting on Gandhi ) has been caught in Libian.

Took the second step for colony ( I know, is a good spot... But I want a strong colony, not a crippled guy that I have to defend from everyone )

Turn 183 A little comic book on how to amke colonies ( for all those that can't find the fist button in the F1 screen... ):

Liberated that city too to Ramesses

Turn 187 quest : The Blessed sea (not worth the work )

Turn 190 Alex retreated his massive and outdated army from near my lands. He´s preparing for war....

Turn 192 Alex Dowed Churchill. Maybe I should help the bull dog :devil:

Turn 195 UB is in

Turn 199 vote for buddha AP. Not good.... ( 3 tries to discover who build it... Clue: leader that ressembles more Woody Allen )

Turn 200 Alex is the resident of the Budhist AP :crazyeyes: . Gandhi piles another wonder.... a GG is born. Gunpowder is online. The privateer era is coming...

Thoughts

This AP thing is getting me in the nerves.... it popped in a new city and it will need a lot of work to get it spread ( and I’m unsure of wanting it ).
Soon I’ll make a civic switch to Free market and FR.
Maybe I’ll force someone out of Budhism to weaken the AP
Need to strengten Ramesses and maybe to found another colony
Decided final game objective: Alpha centauri ;)

The Save

r_rolo1,
Spoiler :

That's an awesome UB. If you're going for space, wouldn't keeping the islands be better? (I realize you might be exploring the colony function just for the thread)

The maintenance for the gem island in my game is not to high and the city is well justified. With the Feitoria it would make more money sense to keep it.

mice
Spoiler :
I agree that keeping the islands would be better, but I promissed colonies... With GLighthouse and Feitoria, any coastal city would pay the maintenance fee easily

Spoiler :
I really wanted to fill out our continent and did it vigorously this time, with ten Settlers. Stonehenge was great.

Picked up The Great Library (Oxford city), Hagia Sofia (helpful, I'm very short on Workers), Apostolic Palace (mainly for the hammers), plus the Parthenon and Swedagon because I could.

Built some Temples and Monasteries and am finishing Sankore.

Got the Artist from Music (saving for a Golden Age), a Scientist which I Academied in my Oxford city, and a couple Prophets which I settled in the capital with my shrine (for a total of 3).

Finally signed a couple OBs (Alex and Kublai), and made a couple small tech trades:
Theo and Priesthood to Alex for Med, IW, Alpha + 25.
Aesthetics to Kublai for Construction.

Researched through Banking and Philo and am on Education for Liberalism. I'll probably go for Conquest. No hurry, but once I get Banks and Universities up there won't be much left to do. I'll probably just take Nationalism, then Engineering for Notre Dame: it might be too late, but I'll probably do some kind of restricted-land challenge to give the AIs some kind of chance. I think I would at least like to take Alex's Dyes and maybe Gems Island.

There have been a couple wars, which seem to have been inconsequential: Kublai versus Washington, and Churchill versus Alex. Alex is somehow in second place even though he has Archers defending his cities in 1400. To his credit, he does finally have Monarchy. Maybe it's the proximity to my awesomeness. Haven't noticed any Great General messages, although it's possible I missed one.

Civics are as before: are HR, Vassalage, Slavery, Decentralization, OR.

My power still stinks (6th place,) but the only AIs whose power I can see are Alex (only 10% ahead of me), and Gandhi (5% ahead). I've built mainly Longbows and have started on Macemen.

Builds:

Land:

Whatever civ i'm using to whatever time i end at:

Spoiler :

Ok my goals for this round is, fix my ****ed economy and settle the rest of my continent, plus the areas Alex didn't settle. Then on my next round i'll destroy Ghandi.

Goals for this round: build up continent, fix economy, provide alot of nice pictures for the lurkers to gaze at my awesomness.

Before turn: I noticed i played sloppy at then end of my last turnset, so i'll provide you with some info.

My empire currently looks like a giant key:

Rome is 4 turns away from completing the hanging gardens
Tech Situation:

Recouces:

Turn 1:
All round whipping.
Turn 2: I wish that was my home :sad:

Turn 4: Jeane D'arc (great prophet) born in rome. (put her to sleep)
Turn 5: Kublai Khan convrts to judaism.
Turn 6: Spy stumbled upon on Rome. (i bet ghandi)
Turn 7: Ghandi adopts Vassalage,
Turn 8: Budhism spreads in antium Wake GP in Rome and bulb Theology.
Turn 9: Taoism founded in a distant land, Churchill adopts pacifism, (he probbaly founded it)
Turn 10: Meet this basturd:

Turn 13: Enemy spy found of Athens
Turn 15:Churchill gives me a deal! And i accept.

Boost research up to 40 % :D
Turn 16:

Ghandi adopts Beucracy.
Turn 17: I say Jack Off

Turn 18:

Turn 19:My people love pointy objects! That's why they amde the Pyramids, the hanging gardens and now this!

Turn 20: Boot research up to 50%
Turn 21: Might as well...

Turn 22: Foudned Arretium,
Turn 24: Founded Mediolanum
turn 27:

Turn 28:I OP with Kublai Khan
Turn 29:

Turn 30: Great ARtist born in Rome, Send him to corinth,

Rome's Build order: Library, Collosium, Settler, Settler, Statue of Zeus, Shwedong Paya, Theatre, Great Library,
Antium's build order: Collosiuem, Lighthouse, Budhist Monastary, Budhist temple, Forum, theatre, Wealth,
Cumea's Build order: Library, Lighthouse, Hindu Monastary, Theatre
Neapolis's Build order: Library, Colloseum, Budhist monastary, Forum, Theatre, Wealth,
Ravenna's build order: Library, Chichen Itza, Budhist MOnastary, Parthenon, Theatre, Colloseum,
Corinth's build order: Courthouse, Barracks, Library, Hindu Monastary, Forum,
Sparta's build order: Courthouse, barracks, Library,
Athen's build order: Barracks, Library, Colloseum, Mausleum of Mausallos, Forbiden Palace,
Arretium's build order: Granary, Barracks
Tech order: Monothiesm, Civil Service, Theology(bulb), Currency, Aesthetics, Horse Back Riding, Literature, Drama, Metal Casting(trade), Compass, Paper, Philosophy, Music, Feudilism,
GP's used: Bulb Theo, Culture bomb on corinth,

Because of max of 20 images per post, i'll post the second part after this part.

Part 2:

Spoiler :
Turn 31:
Play nice children! ;)

(did not accept)
I'm getting wonder happy. :)

Borders of Antium Expand.
Turn 32: Rome's borders expand, mediolanum's borders expand.
Turn 34: Trade for everyone's world map Washington and the mongols are on my continent.
Turn 36: I thought my people were done with making large stone temples...
Boost research to 60%
Turn 37:Fobiden Palace built in Athens. (does that count as a wonder?) Boost research up to 70% Islam founded in India.
Turn 39: Ravenna's borders expand.
Turn 41:
First stone Temples now stone Libraries!!!!

Turn 42:
I'm afraid he'll attack me so i say yes:

Turn 43:ROFL HAHAHAHA

I say yes, Kublai khan won't want to attack 2 of us! I did some trading with him.
Turn 45: Ghandi completes the Apolistic Palace, I vote for him as leader.
Turn 46:Churchill wins the vote. Us, Ghandi and Washington voted for Ghandi, The only other person who voted was churchill who voted forhimself and one... He could win a diplo victory like that, i hope mongols kill him...
Turn 47: Great Prophet born in my lands. Send him to athens to build the special building.
Turn 50:Both christanity and islam spread iunto my lands in the same city at ounce. Strange. *stares at Ghandi's missionary's*
Civic Changes: Despotism - Heridatory rule, Barbarinism - Beucracy, Paganism - Free Religion, Decentrilization - Mercentilism.

My Empire:

Tech:

Resources:

My Continnet:

Yes ghandi has been founding cities on my continent.... I'll wipe them away eventually.
My planet:

Rome's Build order: Library, Collosium, Settler, Settler, Statue of Zeus, Shwedong Paya, Theatre, Great Library, University of Sankore,
Antium's build order: Collosiuem, Lighthouse, Budhist Monastary, Budhist temple, Forum, theatre, Wealth,
Cumea's Build order: Library, Lighthouse, Hindu Monastary, Theatre
Neapolis's Build order: Library, Colloseum, Budhist monastary, Forum, Theatre, Wealth,
Ravenna's build order: Library, Chichen Itza, Budhist MOnastary, Parthenon, Theatre, Colloseum, Forum,
Corinth's build order: Courthouse, Barracks, Library, Hindu Monastary, Forum, Colloseum,
Sparta's build order: Courthouse, barracks, Library,
Athen's build order: Barracks, Library, Colloseum, Mausleum of Mausallos, Forbiden Palace, Theatre, Forum, Spiral Minerat,
Arretium's build order: Granary, Barracks, Theatre, Library,
Mediolanum's build order: Granary, Baracks, theatre,
Tech order: Monothiesm, Civil Service, Theology(bulb), Currency, Aesthetics, Horse Back Riding, Literature, Drama, Metal Casting(trade), Compass, Paper, Philosophy, Music, Feudilism, Optics, Printing Press,
GP's used: Bulb Theo, Culture bomb on corinth,

Jesus .... you guys are already on to AD1480!!!! :eek:

I thought I was just like 3 weeks late? :sad:

1400AD actually, 200 turns in.

Well, you'll have the game (hopefully) tomorrow, so we'll see that report by tomorrow night, yes :mischief:

Let me know when you do get it though, so we can start some AW action :)

Spoiler :
Your game shows that the axe rush is alive and well in BTS. Taking Alex on later is a big hammer outlay, and you have Gandi in the pocket too. Nice play.
Actually the early axe rush is probably more powerful now, unless you have Agressive AI checked, as the AI will grab the land fast and overstretch somewhat in the early game. It's not that unusual to be confronted with warriors defending, rather than archers.

Ozbenno said:
Actually the early axe rush is probably more powerful now, unless you have Agressive AI checked, as the AI will grab the land fast and overstretch somewhat in the early game. It's not that unusual to be confronted with warriors defending, rather than archers.

(this doesn't need spoiling I think) It's funny though, I see more opportunities for peaceful expansion with BTS. Maybe it's monarch and up that the AI is grabbing land fast. I've had lots of games with land for me to grab.

I agree that the early cities we meet are more lightly defended at first.

Posting, then going back to read the reports. Ironically, I made a comment in my report about how difficult it is to play 50 turns of war. I'm fine with playing 50 turns per week, but I will definitely do less micromanaging.

Anyway:

Hammy, Round 4 – Alex, You are the Weakest Link!:

Spoiler :
I played this turnset in a hurry; it’s funny that it was harder to find time to play during my vacation then on a regular work week. :o That’s my excuse as to why my capital is still size 6. I think I was max hammer hurrying the Statue of Zeus and never got around to reassigning tiles. :smoke:

Two World and one National Wonder were added to the Babylonian Empire. Besides Zeus in the capital, I built the Great Library in Akkad (ClamClamDeer). The Heroic Epic was built in Sheep Elephant Flood Plains, which currently produces units in about two turns. I added two Great Generals as military instructors there as well.

Mehmed the Wonder Wh*re built ToA in 820 A.D. Gandhi built the unspellable religious civic wonder (I watched him build it with my EPs), and also built the Apostolic Palace in 1230:

Gandhi won; I was the only one who voted for Abstain. Poor Abstain. I did, however convert to Hinduism to take advantage of the event. Gandhi had conveniently converted every city of mine save Babylon itself to Hindu anyway. (Note to self: Still haven’t built Hindu Missionary for Babylon.)

On the Warfront: When last we left our hero, war was ongoing in Greece, with the capital in sight. War with Greece continued; with two cities of Alex’s left to capture, and troops massed around the verdant Thebes (East of the copper, lots of river grasslands), in 1330 A.D., Alex was voted off the island:

Alex, you are the Weakest Link. Goodbye! (I like mixed metaphors, OK?)

I took Thebes next turn, and Churchill finished him off a couple of turns later.

As a Vanilla to BTS player, this is my first look at Trebs, which I understand were extremely powerful back when they could kill stuff. This wasn’t so bad, but it wasn’t facing Longbowmen either:

Alex managed a counterattack on Sparta, too bad it was mostly spearmen:

A look at the garrison post-attack (My spearman was previously unpromoted):

I teched Engineering – Education – Gunpowder – Chemistry, Gandhi can research Education now, so I will go to Liberalism soon. I backfilled for Horseback Riding (for Elephants) and Calendar, trading away CoL in each case. I also grabbed Feudalism in 1390:

I almost refused Gandhi’s request for Construction, but a closer look suggested that it probably wasn’t worth getting him upset:

Interesting. I wonder how often requests aren’t as big as they seem.

I continued to explore the islands, and found three more huts, giving 104 gold and more experience. Nice scout, eh?

Any chance of finding the Northwest Passage has been seriously hampered by the loss of my only galley to a Barbarian one. Superscout sits idle on an island just being colonized by Washington.

State of the World, 1400 A.D.:

Gandhi will not get an early diplomatic victory :p

Racing toward the domination limit (beginning and end of turnset) :rolleyes:

This was a tough round to play; 50 turns of troop movement gets long, and I tend to neglect my cities at that point. I think I might just go on a massive troop buildup and take out Gandhi as quickly as I can. I suspect I should go for the Apostolic Palace city first, but I haven’t found it yet.

Attachments

• MLG2_1400AD_Hammurabi.CivBeyondSwordSave
    233.3 KB · Views: 47
Bindamel
Spoiler :
Yeah, I noticed.... I'm still flirting the idea of conquering Gandhi ( Fin civ with good land, holy cities, AP, you know :drool: ), so no help for a likely target
Actually I'm quite worried with the AP stuff, not because of me, but because of my colony. Ramesses is still weak ( I gifted him cities, workers, work boats, some military and even a Carrack :crazyeye: . With Alex as the AP resident, he is a sitting duck target for a war against the infidel. I'm having a not so good vision of a war with the Budha bloc to defend Ramesses ( and I really wanted a peaceful game :lol: )

Top Bottom