Map Discussion

Tubby Rower

Chronic Slacker
Since we need to decide on this and more ideas are better than few in a poll, here is what I've heard of or thought of so far.

Pangea - would result in a free-for-all but could be interesting
Archipeligo - add a naval aspect to the game
Hub - similar to [civ4] Hub map script, central land mass with 5 fingers coming off
Wheel - Similar to a hub, but has a ring of land connecting the ends of the hubs

Continents - would result in 3 teams on 1 and 2 teams on the other. Unless you have 5 islands and then you really have a large island archipeligo map

he just wants to be worshiped :p

Tubby Rower said:
Pangea - would result in a free-for-all but could be interesting
Archipeligo - add a naval aspect to the game
Hub - similar to [civ4] Hub map script, central land mass with 5 fingers coming off
Wheel - Similar to a hub, but has a ring of land connecting the ends of the hubs

Continents - would result in 3 teams on 1 and 2 teams on the other. Unless you have 5 islands and then you really have a large island archipeligo map
Don't like Hub and Wheel 'cos you know too much of the world. Exploring would be sorta dull. Go one direction or the other until the land ends/joins.

Here's another option:
Splatter - large central landmass surronded by a ring or two of islands, with everyone starting on an island.

Bob with a Badge said:
Don't like Hub and Wheel 'cos you know too much of the world. Exploring would be sorta dull. Go one direction or the other until the land ends/joins.
well then we just won't tell you :p

see above said:
Here's another option:
Splatter - large central landmass surronded by a ring or two of islands, with everyone starting on an island.
I forgot that you had mentioned this one. I like it. This one gets my vote unless....

Oh oh oh.. I just had a brain fart idea how about everyone start with a galley and a settler and warrior? Have the entire world as coast and then have islands throughout? I call it Cluster-well I can't say that last part.

My vote so far is my patented Cluster map or a Splatter map

Rik made for sure.

Archs clusters will make for a really interesting game. A starting curragh would be pretty critical because everyone would want alpha as a starting tech.

My vote would be for a Meleet world, for sure. Preference would be for Pangaea with convoluted geography -- chokepoints, inconvenient mountains, lakes, archipelagos, islands in the middle of lakes. The only issue would be making sure that all five teams had roughly comprable starting territories. One team starting on tundra and everone else on grassland with rivers would not be fun.

I would definitely argue for a pangea map. Any other alternative is too succeptible to chance taking. With a pangea(-like) map, everyone has the same chances of meeting everyone else, and the early curragh isn't crucial. Having everyone opt for Alphabet would be kind of dull IMO.

Of course, pangea doesn't have to be one big blob. There's plenty of chances for special features. What I want to see is a map were it's not predetermined who meets who first, and where Alphabet is not crucial.

And I would definitely like to see it handmade if Rik has volunteered to make one. :worship:

EDIT: Exactly what SimpleMonkey said. :agree:

Eye of newt, toe of frog,
Wool of bat, tongue of dog...
For a world of toil and trouble,
A dash of Meleet to boil and bubble.

Macbeth, Act IV, scene 1 (sorta)

Random everything, no symmetry, no foreknowledge of any kind for anyone, starts with somewhat equal chances for all teams but not equivalent. Oh, wait, I haven't even signed up yet :blush:.

"Pangaea" describe it well. "All land tiles connected" allows us to have funky shapes and gaps and inland seas, features, and some other interesting goodies. :D I think it'd be really fun to just let Rik make the map, one the conditions that:

1. All teams have semi-equal/balanced starts.
2. Every/most tiles (maybe a few islands or so) reachable from the starting landmass.

Does this sum up what a lot of you were thinking?

Or we could have a "fantasy realm" map where resources can go on every tile...

I like that plan GA. Sounds good.

How about that thing GA said, but with a "terra" like feature of an extra landmass that everyone has equal chances of getting to? That would open up extra strategy decisions.

I like the idea of letting Rik run rampant. Let him design it how he sees fit. I'm sure he has the creativity and the experience to know what would be a fun map for 5 human led teams to play.

I also would like it to remain random for everyone playing. I believe it is part of the fun to discover what world he designs.

Ginger_Ale said:
"Pangaea" describe it well. "All land tiles connected" allows us to have funky shapes and gaps and inland seas, features, and some other interesting goodies.
I like this proposition for a map.
But in all cases, lets just see what Rik comes up with. :)

BTW, is there going to be a Meleetian sign from The Great Meleet again? :cool:

Ginger_Ale said:
"Pangaea" describe it well. "All land tiles connected" allows us to have funky shapes and gaps and inland seas, features, and some other interesting goodies. :D I think it'd be really fun to just let Rik make the map, one the conditions that:

1. All teams have semi-equal/balanced starts.
2. Every/most tiles (maybe a few islands or so) reachable from the starting landmass.

Does this sum up what a lot of you were thinking?

This sounds good. From what I hear if Rik is willing, let him create the map.

Top Bottom