1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Finder Help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Mesix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Okay. At least I've found out what the problem is according to Civ4 Assets Checker.

BTS:Assets\CvCoregameDLL.dll <--Error: Files do not match.

Any quick fix for this? thanks

2. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

You shouldn't have to use the BUG DLL. BUFFY comes with its own DLL with all the necessary code. LMA is there to prevent Mods (in My Games folder?) from being used. BUFFY's setup program should install it to the applications Mod folder rather than My Games.

I would recommend uninstalling Civ4 and deleting anything left behind in My Games and the application's folder before reinstalling. Let BUFFY go where it defaults and try it that way.

3. Denniz

That would be the BUG DLL I would guess. Try what I suggested above.

4. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Ok Denniz, I'll give it a try and let you know.......but the only reason I d/l BUG DLL was to get map finder to work.

5. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Okay Denniz, the complete uninstall and re did the job. I'm good to go ^^. Thread closed :D.

6. MestreLion

MestreLion Warlord

I second to those questions and requests: is there a way for Mapfinder to SIP in each map? That's what I always do when manually regenerating, otherwise the BFC is rarely fully visible. Not seeing (at least) the whole BFC would severely limit MF's usefulless, no?

It will discard a lot of (valid) saves for not visibly matching a more restrictive set of rules, while making rules less restrictive kind of defeats the point in using MF.

And perhaps related: What exactly is "Test Range" and "First Move" ?

Last but not least: what an amazing concept and tool! congrats for the dev(s)! :)

7. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I think you'd find this feature very frustrating. You will see dozens of great starts ruined because the settler was not in the right spot. You can't undo that move and start over from earlier in the 4000 BC save.

I certainly don't SIP often enough to desire that feature. I'd be surprised if you SIP as often as you think you do.

8. WastinTime

The "first move" or "move first" simply means MF will move the save to your save folder first before it opens CIV. I never use that option, but I'm pretty sure that's what it does. Not sure if it is a copy or a move.

9. MestreLion

MestreLion Warlord

I agree, but OTOH I will also never see some other great starts because that beefy Pig or 2nd Wheat was not visible in the BFC and thus the save was discarded.

So SIP or no SIP some great starts are missed anyway, but I think with SIP MapFinder will work with the most information it can, so I can build a really restrictive set of rules aiming for the perfect start. If I have a PH capital with 3 food, Gold/Gems, Marble/Stone I will never complain that if I have moved Settler 1NE I would also get Sheep and 2 FPs :)

Full disclosure: I haven't actually used MF yet (had to tinker with wine/mono, all fine now), and I'm not nearly as experienced in CivIV as you (your Cultural victories and Deity games are amazing), so I may be saying nonsense.

That said, I think what without SIP I would still have a lot of manual work selecting starts ("Is that Gold there? <move>... Oh bummer... next!") and in the end I would have to settle (pun intended) with sub-optimal rules just to take account for the the fact that MF is working with less visible tiles. Sounds logic, so what am I missing?

10. Denniz

SIP? don't know the acronym.

Are you running Civ4 full screen or in a window? I think full screen is the way to go. Although, I think I remember a issue on vista where they had to run in a window. Try it the other way. ;)

When the BUG team re-did parts of mapfinder for BUFFY, didn't they add a option to control the delay for the screenshot to give Civ time to center on the settler? Check the options for that.

Test Range is number of tiles out from the settler to check. It defaults to 3 or 999 which effectively checks all visible tiles. No reason to change it unless you want limit it to 1 or 2 tiles. Sometimes you can see things further away. Just an option, I thought might be useful at the time.

I think WT is correct on the move first option. It goes with the launch button. The idea was to move it so you didn't try to play it again by accident.

11. WastinTime

You're probably joking, but it stands for 'settle in place'. He wants you to auto-settle the first city and then take the screenshot.

12. Denniz

Nah, don't remember ever seeing it before. Didn't really try to puzzle it out. Been in the IT business for many years. I am a little acronym'd out. And I am not embarrassed to ask when I don't know. :mischief:

13. MestreLion

MestreLion Warlord

Thanks for the replies, Denniz! But my "issue" (actually, a request) is not about screenshots of graphical glitches. Its about MapFinder's terrain evaluation.

In most starts the player can't see all tiles of the BFC (Big Fat Cross, the soon-to-be-capital's workable 21 tiles city radius). There's always a few titles hidden in the fog. And settling in place instantly reveals all BFC tiles.

So my concern is that without SIP MapFinder will work with less information than it could have, making some restrictive rules (ie, those incredibly amazing starts) almost impossible to find.

My goal with MapFinder is to find starts like "Plain Hills, coastal with at most 1 non-resource coast tile, 3 food resources, Gold or Gems, 6 or more river tiles in BFC, Stone and Marble nearby", and let it run overnight. That's the whole point of MapFinder, right?

Finding such rare start will be quite hard already, and not having all 21 BFC tiles visible will perhaps make it impossible. Hence the request for SIP.

14. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

^^ That is a persusive argument for a SIP option in mapfinder, MestreLion!

Sun Tzu Wu

15. Denniz

MapFinder has a pretty lite footprint in the code. It just rides along waiting for the right moment to save and print the screen. Executing an action first is a whole different can of worms. 5 years ago I might have been more willing to do something like this. These days I am not really doing any modding anymore.

I would make for an interesting philosophical discussion with those who think using MapFinder to find really good starts is a problem now. :mischief:

16. boogaboo

boogaboo Josef Popper 4ever

Hi people..

I just tried to install civ4 BTS + buffy + map finder on a new (Win7) computer.
    Map Finder screenshots are of the Windows desktop, and not of the game start...
    I've put the program on "maximized", as I saw this may fix it, but it didn't :(
    Screenshots of the found saves are just images of the desktop..

Does anyone have a suggestion what goes wrong and how to fix it??
    Please help :cry:

Booga.

17. WastinTime

Run it full screen mode. Or, if you are doing that, run in windowed mode. I've seen it work both ways.

18. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

The civilization.ini file is in the general BTS folder under mydocs/mygames, as stated above by a Ozbenno and WastinTime

19. thbrown81

thbrown81 Warlord

I have the same problem when I run MapFinder in full screen mode. I have to run in window mode to get the picture.

20. boogaboo

boogaboo Josef Popper 4ever

Changing the ini file to run in normal window mode did the trick!
    Thanks a lot :)

I wonder if there's a way to stay in full screen and make it work on Win7, but this workaround is good enough.

Thanks again,
    Booga.