1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Finder Help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Mesix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Sounds like a Windows Vista/Windows 7 issue, they can only write to subdirectories I believe.

2. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

That looks correct to me.

I'm using exactly the same Save Path, except my username is different:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Civ4_Map_Finder\Saves

I'm using an older release of the MapFinder application (stand-alone application that allows one to view previously generated MapFinder Maps). After one selects Warlords, it will verify that all MapFinder paths in the HOF Mod are valid and will correct them. It will sometimes setup the Default Rule though, which you can change by Saving the Rule file you want to use within the MapFinder application.

I use the same back rev'ed MapFinder application for both Warlords and Buffy. I have to manually edit the Buffy Mod Path, since the older rev MapFinder application doesn't know anything about the Buffy Mod, whereas the current one does. I've simply not bothered to upgrade my MapFinder application, since I like that fact that it knows nothing about Buffy and thus can't mess up the Buffy Mod's paths; "If ain't broken, don't fix it." is a motto I live by, most of the time that is ...

BTW, I'm using MS Windows Vista.

Good luck!

Sun Tzu Wu

3. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

I am using Microsoft Windows Home Premium Vista 64 bit and Map finder 1.8. I have Mapfinder set to Warlords.

What are subdirectories? And if is the issue, how can it be remedied?

Update!

Problem solved! I applied illogic, tried random nonsense manipulations and Voila! I have disproven the theory of "Garbage in = Garbage out!"

4. Sun Tzu Wu

I gather that you used some sort of Magic to solve a Classic Computation Theory Problem (CCTB) related to Warlords and MapFinding, but there are very few practicing Magicians among the Civfanatics' Faithful. Can you please rephrase your Solution in terms Non-magicians can understand? Also, please provide your counter-example that disproves "Garbage In = Garbage Out". Finally, many of us Mathemagicians would love to see your new Illogic Theory (IT)!

Sun Tzu Wu

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Hello - I want to start playing some HOF games. I'm trying to get Mapfinder to work. I at least believe I have MF regenerating maps automatically. I haven't had a mapped save yet which is really the main reason I'm posting my question here. I have an idea of what I'd like for this start, but in terms of the rule builder, i don't know if I'm being unreasonable. Here's an example of the current rule I set up:

Spoiler :

Obviously, there are a couple of resources I really want in this start. Other priorities are food, of course, and general terrain features. Not to picky about terrain as long as I get a few hills. Now, I did just delete rules related to copper and iron as I believe I read that on ancient starts this would register as a negative.

So my questions are:

1) Is this rule I set up completely unreasonable or illogical? Is there a better way to do this? Should I have more rule groups like the default with what appears to be diminishing returns?

2) Is there some forum regarding Mapfinder with more detail discussion on setting up rules for particular starts?

thanks

6. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Well, I think you are looking for a start with 3 food resource, marble AND stone. that's a pretty unlikely set of circumstances, to be honest.

i usually set up my searches for 1 food resource. I am not sure I have ever seen a start that would match that.

7. lymond

Yeah, I guess I'm looking for examples on what are reasonable starts to request.

Also, the saves I do get from MF only show the BTS loading screen, not the map. Any idea why this happens.

8. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I usually go with 2 commerce resources and then review the maps to see what else it has on it.

As to the loading screen, it is a known issue. If you only run MF when you have BtS running in a window, rather than full screen it will solve the problem (can change civ.ini to request full screen on starting).

9. lymond

thanks...I did read about that windowed deal, but that it was something different. I trying out different rule combinations that are less restrictive.

Is it okay to change the default MF save directory in BUFFY? The BUFFY default directory and MF default are different - bit of an annoyance.

10. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

It is no problem to change the save directory in BUFFY.

11. lymond

I tried this but it didn't work at all. Doesn't stick with in-game options and Map Finder doesn't like it when you change the BUFFY MF ini - doesn't work anyway. Not sure if anyone know how to do this. Currently, I have to redirect the save directory in MF every time I open it which is a tad annoying. Is that normal for everyone?

I thought maybe I could install MF differently, but the thing that is really odd is that MF in BUFFY Options points to two completely different directories.

12. Sun Tzu Wu

I just start up BtS, start a Game and press CTRL-ALT-O to get to the BUFFY interface. Click the Maps Tab and change the Civ4_Map_Finder Viewer application Path (C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Civ4_Map_Finder\) and Civ4_Map_Finder Viewer Saves Path (C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Civ4_Map_Finder\Saves) and current Rules file. For me, I just point the two Paths to the Civ4_Map_Finder location and the Save folder under that. The Rules file is the only thing I regularly change based on what kind of Game Starting Position I'm looking for.

In case of multiple Civ4_Map_Finder Viewer application installations, use the path of the one you most commonly use. For me that's in the same Folder where all User Profile Data for CivilizationIV is located in ((C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\).

Good luck!

Sun Tzu Wu

13. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

Well, I've read through this thread, and I've read through all the documentation I've been able to find about Map Finder, and I still can't get it to work. ALT + G just acts like regenerate map in the options menu, and CTR + ALT + G does . . . nothing?

I've got XP, and BTS, and BUFFY .003 loaded, and the latest Map Finder loaded. And a recent enough .NET. And I've got Map Finder enabled in the BUFFY options. And the paths there (in My Documents, much like in the threads above) match the paths I installed MapFinder to. Oh yes, I've made sure I'm pointing to the Default.rul

I found the Map Finder settings in the Buffy Mod folder, and saw it said something about the default path being in the Program Files, so I re-installed Map Finder to there. Still no dice.

Actually, I've uninstalled and re-installed Map Finder about 6 times, lol.

I'm assuming I'm just cursed to hand regenerate maps for the rest of my now-blighted HOF career. Can anyone think of something else I could be trying?

14. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

BUFFY uses differenr hotkeys. I can't remember it off the top of my head. If you go into the BUFFY options and click on help you can find the hotkeys there.

15. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

Thanks for the quick reply, Denniz. I know you've long since stopped working on these mods (I love BUFFY by the way). . . .

I looked where you suggested and no dice. Nothing there that indicates that anything but CTR + ALT + G is the hotkey.

I've tried quite a few likely combos, too. Nothing I've tried works as the Map Finder toggle--though I did find out that ALT + F4 is a quick way to exit the game :crazyeye:

Anyone out there using Map Finder with BUFFY? If so, what's the Map Finder hotkey?

16. Sun Tzu Wu

The BUFFY Map Finder "Hot Key" is no longer a toggle:

CTRL-ALT-G starts MapFinder from within an initial Start position.

CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-G stops MapFinder.

Note that you can't simply hold down the modifier keys CTRL, ALT and optionally SHIFT and then press the G Key like you should be able to do. You have to press the keys more or less simultaneously to get the desired effect (MapFinder ON/OFF).

Also, note that when stopping, the "CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-G" is received immediately, but the current Map generation will complete anyway. This can be a long time for larger Maps. Thus, it can literally be 1-2 minutes before you see MapFinder finally stopping. Starting should be immediate (unless one is still waiting for a previous stop to complete ;) ).

Finally, MapFinder in BUFFY only works properly when BtS is started in Windowed Mode. It will not save any JPEG images of the Saved Starting positions in Full Screen Mode, but does otherwise work, but you can't see it working other than noting file creations in the MapFinder Save folder.

Sun Tzu Wu

17. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

Ah, the necessity of pressing CTRL + ALT + G simultaneously was what I was missing. Thanks STW! :D

18. billybgame

billybgame Prince

Ok....after years of playing Civ 4, I'm trying out Map Finder for the first time, as I was pondering efforting the Challenger 10 Deity Religious game, which as I've read necessitates just the right sort of starting point.

Does Map Finder really just sit there and regenerate maps for hours on end? I finally gave up and quit after watching it do this for over an hour. 200 maps and like 70 saves. I would rather watch paint dry, I think. I'm all for better starting points, but I guess maybe I don't care enough that it has to be perfect.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, that is. I know I can change the Rules settings for searching. But, that doesn't change the fact that it just keeps regenerating the map, right?

Is this really what everyone does? I can't imagine. Not what I'd call fun, when I want to play a game.

19. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

The idea is to run the program when you are not using your cpu, like overnight or at work. Then you come back to the mapfinder program to sort the maps and choose the ones you want to try.

If I am lucky, overnight I will get 1-2 good maps. Here are my rules:

Spoiler :

I get a lot of saves that I don't use. Some of them that don't look super turn out well once you clear some of the fog.

20. billybgame

billybgame Prince

Yeah, but I play on my laptop now, and don't want to wake up to it smoking! But truly, it also needs to rest when I sleep:)

Seems like this utility just isn't for me. Seems like it's a lot of rigamarole, when I can just regen the map a few times and find a decent start. Might just not be able to win at those ultra high levels. But, I don't think those levels aren't really about playing the game, anyhow. More like gimmicky play, in order to win.