1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Finder Help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Mesix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Installed Map Finder, started a game, hit Alt+M to launch Map Finder. It doesn't launch, but I get to set a reminder (help files tell me that this is exactly what Alt+M is supposed to be doing).

What am I doing wrong? Everything is installed to default folders. I have used Map Finder in the past on another comp with no difficulties.

2. Pollina

Pollina Emperor

Mapfiner uses different control keys with Buffy. Try Ctrl+Alt+G to turn on and Shift+Ctrl+Alt+G to turn off mapfiner.

3. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Woah. Thanks for the quick answer! :thumbsup:

4. Gosha190

Gosha190 King

Hi!

As Iam trying to rum MF, game tells me "MF is not running". Really its running. And more: some times ago all worked propelly. What can I do now to resolve the issue?

Thx!

PS Win7, game runned windowed mode

5. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

What's your problem if Map Finder works? Just ignore that message, main issue is that it generates maps and saves them towards your criterias.

6. Gosha190

Gosha190 King

hmmm... I press ctrl+...+g and at the top of game screen i see red message: MF is not running.

I know that it is really running, but it dont work, dont start map regeneration.

7. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Maybe you are pressing the wrong keys?

Ctrl + Alt + G starts mapfinder.
    Ctrl + Alt + Shift + G stops mapfinder.

It sounds like you're pressing the 2nd combination and not the first. Mapfinder is not running is a message that occurs when one tries to stop Mapfinder (2nd combination) while one hasn't started it yet (1st combination) .

8. Gosha190

Gosha190 King

sure! THX a lot!

9. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Gypsy King

I have used mapfinder and manual regeneration in the past, but today I tried starting a HoF/buffy game and after clicking ctrl- alt-g I got this message:

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

I uninstalled my version of mapfinder, downloaded the most recent one and installed it. I can open mapfinder.exe and it runs ok, but I can't either regenerate manually or with mapfinder (enabling or disabling it on the the buffy options).

I checked and the path shown on the mod options matches the one shown on windows explorer. Any hints?

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Ran MapFinder overnight, about 6 hours, but when I came to the computer today it had stopped running for whichever reason, and there was no message about "You have been defeated" that I saw mentioned earlier in the thread. It has saved quite some maps, but appears to have stopped running after around 5 hours. Any idea what is up?

Also, many screenshots are black, presumably because the screen turned itself off during the night. Hoped that wouldn't happen, as long as Civ was running.

Oh, forget it. I restarted it again and apparently 1000 maps had been run, which is the limit I see.

11. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You can raise the limit in the options, I set it to 10k for both.

The "you have been defeated" massage I only know when I generated Huge maps with my old system, then after 600-1000 maps, mapfinder crashed with that message. People told me, that this has to do with the system slowing down to a point where it causes that error. With my new system, which is way more powerful, I don't have that problem anymore, even when generating Huge maps with 18 Civs all night long.

The screen turning off normally shouldn't cause the screenshots to be black. The graphics-card turning off, that would be an explanation, but then CIV wouldn't work anymore. Did I understand that right, and some starts have screenshots that work? Because many users also have to run CIV in windowed mode to make screenshots work at all, no idea if that could be the case with you too.

12. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

When I sorted the saved maps by date/filename, the screenshots start to become black after an hour, which is when the screen turns itself off. Before then all the saved maps have working screenshots. The computer was working all night and saved many other maps, so I found it a bit odd. Would think it should still save the pictures as only the screen itself is off.

13. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I've always had that same problem with the screenshots. Screen has to be on or they appear black. When running mapfinder overnight, I go to Windows power options and tell it to not turn off the screen. I assume there's some similar option on Linux.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thanks for confirming that, then I know there isn't a weird issue on my end. There are similar options in Linux so next time I'll remember to set the screen so it doesn't turn itself off, ever. Then the screenshots should work. It's a nag to keep loading them to see what it actually looks like.

Btw, when manually regenerating maps, I noticed that sometimes parts of the map I shouldn't normally see was shown, partially. What's up with that?

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

How do you deal with MapFinder and different types of maps for different games? Just ran a short session for different settings, and it's of course mixed in with previous saved maps. Do you delete the whole lot, moved them, something else?

Would be great with a filtering mechanism in MapFinder.

16. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

You can sort the results by date or leader, etc.
    Just click on the column header.

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Yes, I can sort by the filename, which is basically a settings and timestamp, but then I can't sort by anything else. Would be great with a selection filter of some type, where I could choose only "Leader X" and/or "Immortal" or something like that, and then sort by one of the columns, like Gold or Gems.

18. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I move each run into it's own folder - agree it would be great to be able to filter the results.

19. Walter_Wolf

Walter_Wolf King

I have win7, BtS steam installation, and can't run map finder from the desktop. It works fine from the game, meaning it saves maps and all the data, but I can't open the application once i want to check what it saved.

Screenshot:

From what I'm reading the game paths in the registry are incorrect, and I can't edit the map finder's setting on where to look for.

I was thinking I could probably add a registry key or two with the original path (for a non steam install) and edit the game path in there.

Help appreciated

cheers

20. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Had a similar problem when installing on Linux, so eventually managed to export a .reg file from Windows after installing Mapfinder there.

Crikey, I first tried to attach a .reg file of my settings. Did not work.

Tried changing it to a .jpg - Did not work (forum still won't allow an upload).

Tried to insert the whole thing in spoiler tags. Too large to post. :mad:

There is a huuuuge hex section at first, so I'll just remove that and hope it's not of importance.

Spoiler :
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4]
    "DEFAULT_LANGUAGE"=dword:00000009
    "INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"
    "Settings"=hex:1c,a6,ef,6b,14,............ etc ...... this thing is HUUUUUUUGE!!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.61]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.74]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]
    "INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Beyond the Sword"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword\3.01]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword\3.19]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Warlords]
    "INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Warlords"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Warlords\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Warlords\2.13]