Map Finder Help

@Seraiel

Yes i saved file ( replaced Default.rul ) and default.rul is my rule file.
When i save rules in gg.rul and set gg.rul as my rule file in the BUFFY-options inGame.
I have this error

Spoiler :

@elitetroops

Thanks, i though so that calendar resoureces are allso count as commerce.
But somewhere in forums is info that commerce is gold, silver and games.

@elitetroops

Thanks, i though so that calendar resoureces are allso count as commerce.
But somewhere in forums is info that commerce is gold, silver and games.
Hmm... seems you are right. Odd, I seem to remember getting lots of triple dye starts first time I used mapfinder and had it find commerce resources. My memory must be failing me.

Not sure about your problem, have you tried installing mapfinder somewhere else, like Dhoom suggested?

Its working !!! ... i think xD.

Yes elitetroops in 1st attempt i installed MF in default folder but it just didnt work ... i dont know why.

I installed again MF in default folder now it works, and i changed rule path ... looks like hes reading my gg.rul save

Spoiler :

there was somekind of error after i instaled MF but looks like its working i generated 22 maps no 1 farm res 1 commerce start no save.

Thank You !!!

Maybe i try now G-Major 137 looks like you have lot of fun there.

Good to see that it's working now. Did you close down the game in between your changes? I believe it won't take effect unless the game is closed down. So if you had the game open, made changes to mapfinder and saved, then tabbed back to the game to run mapfinder, then it probably didn't work.

Also be aware that with the rules you had earlier, a save with for instance 4 golds and 3 pigs would not be saved because there isn't a farm resource. Ofc such a save is probably impossible to get, but it's just an example. Due to watching too many good maps not get saved, I've simply made a rule so that all gold maps, no matter what, are saved. Then I can at least check them out myself manually.

That was rly good advice Pangaea, that was just test rules but anyway, i had my mindset like farm resources becouse i want to go agriculture and skip AH but yea some v good starts ( where is worth to go AH) would not be saved then.

Omg i changed save path, i though dont know why that was rule path xD. But he did save me map with 1 gold 1 silver. Rule is at lest 1 commerce resource.

About this ridiculous starts ...

Spoiler :

Out of my perspective, that start isn't even good from a HoF perspective ;) . Needs AH and 2 Gems are in the Jungle. You probably already know this, but really let Mapfinder run a decent time for the current Gauntlet, like half a week at minimum. The advantage of having something like a 2 Gold + 2 Farm resources start is tremendous in the outcome. I'd even prefer 1 Gold 2 Farm resources to that start.

I think that is a pretty fantastic start for the Persians, who start with Ag/Hunt. The question is whether to move or not. Probably depends on the type of game, but SIP is pretty good.

I decided it was time for me to start using MapFinder, but I am having a problem and hoping someone here can help...

I have installed MapFinder V1.9 on Windows Vista and am using BTS with Buffy 3.19.003. I have managed to get MapFinder running with the rules I want and I can see the total regens and total saves counting up.

Problem comes when I stop MapFinder and look in the saves folder or in MapFinder itself I can't see the saved files... Anyone got any ideas? It seems to me that they are not saving but maybe they are just saving somewhere that I haven't found...

I have looked in the Set Directory menu of MapFinder and that seems okay. Not sure if I should be setting something in Civ itself?

Thanks for any help or advice!

I decided it was time for me to start using MapFinder, but I am having a problem and hoping someone here can help...

I have installed MapFinder V1.9 on Windows Vista and am using BTS with Buffy 3.19.003. I have managed to get MapFinder running with the rules I want and I can see the total regens and total saves counting up.

Problem comes when I stop MapFinder and look in the saves folder or in MapFinder itself I can't see the saved files... Anyone got any ideas? It seems to me that they are not saving but maybe they are just saving somewhere that I haven't found...

I have looked in the Set Directory menu of MapFinder and that seems okay. Not sure if I should be setting something in Civ itself?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Go to the in game Buffy option (Ctrl-alt-o), find the tab with map finder, and find the save path. Change it to the map finder folder for future use. If you need help with the specifics on that, just ask.

Thanks Shulec, your solution worked perfectly! Even found the saves I generated yesterday. Strange that my PC decided to choose such an odd default location...

Can someone explain to me how to use Map Finder in Windows 7? Because it appears to not want to work at all and I'm really confused. Do I need to run it as administrator every time? Do I need to manually fix the permissions for the MapFinder folders? I'm saving a file to C:\Program Files\Civ4_Map_Finder\Rules which MapFinder can later locate and read, but when I try to find the file any other way, including in Windows Explorer and in Civ4, the file cannot be found. WTF is going on here? Help?

I think your save destination is the problem. I never run mapfinder as an admin.

I changed buffy's (Ctrl-alt-O) destination for the mapfinder saves to: C:\Users\Shulec.Shule-VAIO\Documents\My Games\Civ4_Map_Finder\Saves

I don't think you should be saving to the program files. You should be saving to "saves", not "rules".

Can someone explain to me how to use Map Finder in Windows 7? Because it appears to not want to work at all and I'm really confused. Do I need to run it as administrator every time? Do I need to manually fix the permissions for the MapFinder folders? I'm saving a file to C:\Program Files\Civ4_Map_Finder\Rules which MapFinder can later locate and read, but when I try to find the file any other way, including in Windows Explorer and in Civ4, the file cannot be found. WTF is going on here? Help?
Try uninstalling Map Finder and then install it somewhere other than in Program Files. I'm pretty certain that I ran into the same problem that you did... you go to save a .rul file and it appears as being saved in Map Finder with a "lock" icon on it, but when you look for the file in Windows Explorer, the file doesn't appear to be there.

There's something goofy with the extra security Windows puts around the Program Files directories, but installing Map Finder elsewhere made the problem that you describe go away for me.

My Mapfinder always automatically installed itself to my personal data, so "My Documents" folder. If Files are not shown, you could also enable showing hidden and locked files in the Windows Explorer, but don't start deleting any files, that could be hidden system-files afterwards, only because you don't know them ^^ . And if you already do that, think about disabling the user-account-management in the system-control-menu too. It's a mostly worthless feature if you're the only user on your PC, and it asks you thousands of times if you really are sure you want to run a program you clicked yourself, and if turned off, you also don't need to run any programs as Administrator, because you are now the permanent Administrator of everything ^^ .

I know, Microsoft doesn't advise anything of this, but they program Windows for the biggest n00bs of the universe. If you only know slightly what you're doing, you'll be better off without those features.

Agree with both above posts. As long as you don't visit dodgy sites and suchlike, turning off UAC (or whatever they call it), should be fine. Even with liberal settings, it keeps asking you for permission just to run program, games and all sorts of stuff. Might as well turn it off. Also better to install Mapfinder (and games) outside of the Program Files folder. Microsoft does weird crap to that place, so there can sometimes be problems running things out of it that doesn't really need to be in there. Create a "Games" folder instead and put all your games there, and put Mapfinder under Civ4 for instance.

Why is this thing such a goddamn pain to use?

I had many problems on Win7 so I'm trying a new installation on XP, hoping it would be more native. But after installing XP SP3 on a VM, and .Net framework version 4, I get the error "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application." Anyone know what that's about? Does this thing only support certain obsolete versions of .Net?

EDIT: Figured it out and installed .Net 2.0, SP2. Jeez this thing is a pain. I also had to guess what save directory to use for BUFFY because the default one doesn't work, but I have no idea whether I've gotten the right one. MapFinder will run in the game and it will save, but "Load in BTS" from the MapFinder utility doesn't work. I don't know what folder to select and it says "Unable to complete request. Move cancelled."

I have win7, BtS steam installation, and can't run map finder from the desktop. It works fine from the game, meaning it saves maps and all the data, but I can't open the application once i want to check what it saved.

Screenshot:

From what I'm reading the game paths in the registry are incorrect, and I can't edit the map finder's setting on where to look for.

I was thinking I could probably add a registry key or two with the original path (for a non steam install) and edit the game path in there.

Help appreciated

cheers

Had a similar problem when installing on Linux, so eventually managed to export a .reg file from Windows after installing Mapfinder there.

Crikey, I first tried to attach a .reg file of my settings. Did not work.

Tried changing it to a .jpg - Did not work (forum still won't allow an upload).

Tried to insert the whole thing in spoiler tags. Too large to post. :mad:

There is a huuuuge hex section at first, so I'll just remove that and hope it's not of importance.

Spoiler :
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4]
"DEFAULT_LANGUAGE"=dword:00000009
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"
"Settings"=hex:1c,a6,ef,6b,14,............ etc ...... this thing is HUUUUUUUGE!!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.61]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.74]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Beyond the Sword"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword\3.01]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword\3.19]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Warlords]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Warlords"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Warlords\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Warlords\2.13]

I have same problem, but not with steam version but with Civ IV Complete ver.
With Blue Marble i had similar problem but i can choose path there, dont know what to do with Map finder...

Here answer from Pangaea but i dont understand what i realy should do and where :(.
I have Win7.

Can you help me plz ?

I have same problem, but not with steam version but with Civ IV Complete ver.
With Blue Marble i had similar problem but i can choose path there, dont know what to do with Map finder...

Here answer from Pangaea but i dont understand what i realy should do and where :(.
I have Win7.

Can you help me plz ?
Hmm, what is your Civ4 path set to in your registry?

run regedit.exe and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Firaxis Games.

Firaxis Games is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node
And iam not sure if you asking for something more specific i post SS.
Spoiler :

(Domyślna) -> Default
(wartość nie ustalona) -> not set amount

Edit.
I dont know where to extractthis .reg file, or what to do with it later i just dont know what it is all about :sad:.
If someone can support me and write step by step what to do i will be v thankful .

Firaxis Games is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node
And iam not sure if you asking for something more specific i post SS.
Spoiler :

(Domyślna) -> Default
(wartość nie ustalona) -> not set amount

Ah, you have 64-bit Win7. You are just missing the Install directory. You can just add it manually.

• Right-click on Sid Meier's Civilization 4. Select New > String. It should add a new entry in the right pane with a default name highlighted.
  • Change its name to installdir.
  • Right-click on the new entry and select edit.
  • Enter the path where the vanilla Civilization executable (Civilization4.exe) is located. Probably C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

Irrc, the MapFinder program looks for the vanilla directory and finds Warlords and BTS paths from that. (If not, try the same procedure in the BTS key pointing to the BTS executable.)

Edit.
I dont know where to extractthis .reg file, or what to do with it later i just dont know what it is all about :sad:.
If someone can support me and write step by step what to do i will be v thankful .
me either. ;) I think he was trying to give you a file your could import but had problems with the upload. You don't need it.

Top Bottom