Maps with realistic starting positions for all civs

Hej The_J,just one question please...
I download your mod strting position and merged with my mod..make all the changes in python and xml and wb...
I use only Carters earth map so in xml file I deleted civs that I dont use like Mongolian,Sumeria...and added new civs who are in my mod like Israel,Serbia...couse I dont have starting positions for new civs I set them x and y to 0..and in python folder set the starting pos from false to true so that I can located them to xy..but now when I load scenario is stuck on finishing...and the world icon is just spining...please do you have any idea what to do....:(
I use dll from bts defoult with 18 civs...
View attachment CvEventManager.rar
View attachment CarterEarth(Random18BtS)_Nations in War.rar
Here is my cvEvent manager and xml for Carter map.....
Thx...

Hej The_J,just one question please...
I download your mod strting position and merged with my mod..make all the changes in python and xml and wb...
I use only Carters earth map so in xml file I deleted civs that I dont use like Mongolian,Sumeria...and added new civs who are in my mod like Israel,Serbia...couse I dont have starting positions for new civs I set them x and y to 0..and in python folder set the starting pos from false to true so that I can located them to xy..but now when I load scenario is stuck on finishing...and the world icon is just spining...please do you have any idea what to do....:(
I use dll from bts defoult with 18 civs...
View attachment 252272
View attachment 252273
Here is my cvEvent manager and xml for Carter map.....
Thx...

Seems all fine to me.

How long did you wait?
The earth map from carter needs on my system around 2:30 minutes to get fully labeled, do it can take some time.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=363953

What about this map ? Could you include that, seems better than Carter's one ;)

:D
I'll take a look at it, if i don't forget it.
Seems really to be nice.

Thx...can wait for that new map....:)

I took a look at the map, and europe is too small :/.
Even when i place the celts in romania, i can't find a place for the HRE.

Hej thx The_J..everything is working fine..I just did not thought that needs more time to load that...:hammer2:

Nice to hear, that it works now :).

I've added the max. estimated time for the labeling in the first post, that's maybe better.

This is awesome. Thanks J!

Thanks for your comment :).

Sometimes on some maps I move the HRE to Indonesia or Australia, usually Indonesia, to represent civs there (I also move Portugal to Brazil).

It didnt take so much time to load about 2min...:p..but when I load and wait I thoud that something is wrong couse usually everything on my comp load fast so...It is just me :wallbash:

About maps..I dont think that we will ever find large map to put all the civz that we use in mods..for example I use Italy,Croatia,Serbia and they all have to be put near and there is just no enough space for all of them...then there is Turkey,Iran,Israel,Syria...
For me only solution will be playing only Europe map or Arabia map...
Maybe to create Europe Union as a civ and some kind of United Arabia Federation to make them enough space to rise....

Sometimes on some maps I move the HRE to Indonesia or Australia, usually Indonesia, to represent civs there (I also move Portugal to Brazil).

That's sure an idea for your personal game, but i don't think the people would expect anything like that here ;).

About maps..I dont think that we will ever find large map to put all the civz that we use in mods..for example I use Italy,Croatia,Serbia and they all have to be put near and there is just no enough space for all of them...then there is Turkey,Iran,Israel,Syria...
For me only solution will be playing only Europe map or Arabia map...
Maybe to create Europe Union as a civ and some kind of United Arabia Federation to make them enough space to rise....

You're sure right :yup:, but for this mod here i try to do it, even when they hare horribly packed together. When they can found their first city, then i'm fine modding wise, because then this map can be played (not good for some civs, but it is possible).
And for this mod here, i also don't want to change anything from the gameplay, so exchanging the civs is not really a possible solution.

But that shows also, why you can hear in the civ5 forum "europe is over presented". Some spaces are completly empty, some are crowded. Most mods even put more civs in europe (like you mention), then there's really completly no space left for even a single unit.

Do you know if there is someway I can edit these maps to have 'Choose Religions' set on by default for them? They seem to ignore CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml.

Really, they do? Oh, interesting. Has to be a mod problem in general :dunno:.
Edit: Try to force loading the settings from XML instead of the .ini, can be done in the .ini of your mod.

Open the map fiels with a text editor (simple one, not office or so) and change the top of the files from:
Code:
Version=11 		
BeginGame 		
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT 	
	GameTurn=0 		
	StartYear=-4000 
 	ModPath=Mods\StartingPoints
EndGame

to:
Code:
Version=11 		
BeginGame 		
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT 
	Option=GAMEOPTION_PICK_RELIGION		
	GameTurn=0 		
	StartYear=-4000 
 	ModPath=Mods\StartingPoints
EndGame

That worked, thanks! I figured that I needed to add some line to each map, I just couldn't find/figure what that line was.

Re-upload:
- Added mediterranean map by veBear
- Fixed indian starting position on Jabartos eurasia map, thanks to cerlaz for reporting it :)

I think i have to look again a bit around in the database, one or two world maps would be nice.

I have no idea :dunno:.
I don't know where the advanced start is technically located, if it's partially done in python, in the SDK or in the .exe.
I can't see any related python files at the moment :dunno:, but somewhere has to be a connection, because the grid and the menus have to be done in python :think:.

I'll try to look into it at the weekend, if i don't forget it.

I'm wanting to make some changes to some of the included maps such as altering the terrain a little and adding new resources. Is there anything in particular I need to do to the map file itself to keep compatibility with Starting Points? (other than Modpath)

As long as you don't change the names of the files, no, i don't think there's any problem.
But there's no check for valid terrain in the script, so if you transform one of the starting points into a peak or water, then the units will still get placed at these positions.

And nice to see that this component is still useful :).

Attachments

• StartingPoints_Bug.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 171
Of course it's useful; this component is amazing, letting you make familiar scenarios with new twists.

Top Bottom