1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mario Mafia [MAFIA VICTORY]

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by topsecret, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

OK, OK, I can see how Synsensa can take that when he's not used to the mafia chatter-banter-strategy room that is a team quicktopic.
    Syn: 1) thanks for eating the lynch. It actually helped us win the game, even if you did say in the QT -in advance- that you'd hate us if we lynched you and you later dropped in when I was playing DotA to wish defeat upon me and my team.
    In hindsight I still stand by my advice. I've gotten away with far more horrendous claims, such as ‘oh yes, I am the only person who targetted the person who was killed last night but I was totally doing something else’. As I said in the QT, it requires panache, aplomb, khutzpah or whatever you want to call it. And yes, it might be the first time that you play as mafia but at one point you sink or swim.
    Also, when I voted you I just broke a tie and there was a lot of time still left for that phase (one entire RL day IIRC) and a lot could have happened. As with Zack, RL caught up with me too at some rather inconvenient points. I did not plan for it. As in all contests, no predesigned strategy survives contact with the enemy.
    In addition, bussing is a valid, socially acceptable strategy. Mafia has its own codes which do take getting used to.
    2) We win as a team and you get as much credit as we do (except for the coin count :rolleyes:). As I said, thanks for eating the lynch. It was unplanned, I thought I might change it later (or not, as it turned out to be) and it did get me some otherwise unearnable and undeserved town credit.
    I think (with the enormous benefit of hindsight) that your claim did you in, but with so many rôles it wouldn't have been unbelievable, especially when the town ended up having the potential to protect two players or rôleblock two players in one same night.

Synsensa likes this.
  2. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Yes it is. Not least because Csargo and I were scared of LordArgon but Zack had misread his claim as he being a bodyguard and so he thought ‘well, it's a dead townie either way’. :lol:

3. Montmorency

Montmorency King

Yeah, then flubbing that last-minute reverse-psychology intervention was my worst mistake of the game. It just made Argon arbitrarily hop off Rask. Had I not popped up we would currently be alive and well, toasting Argon's memory and congratulating each other for flipping Zack and Csargo in a row.

Sorry guys, that one's on me! So while Argon goofed N3 and N5, it didn't even matter because I deviated him N4. :sad:

4. Montmorency

Montmorency King

Wait, what do you mean "two?"

5. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Oh, also I have to say: my activity (especially during those few days after D1) was so patchy that every time I complained about having to read 200 posts or 300 posts or whatever it was each time I was not exaggerating. As Ron Weasley says in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it is easier to lie just a bit than making a completely new thing up on the go. Of course, the lie was the part where I pretended to be trying to help town.

btw the dead QT is hilarious. I can just imagine Tim as played by Vinnie Jones or maybe Alan Ford.
    Snerk could copy some abilities, including LordArgon's protection, my protection, Synsensa's rôleblock and LordArgon's protection. See post #2885.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Oh, and I have to say this, Syn-chan: *You* just went AWOL when you were lynched, when you could have voted for self-preservation or broken the tie yourself. That one's not on any of the three of us.

And, Monsieur Timsup2nothin, you say that I look scummy, but, as Han Solo says: ‘Hey, it's me.’

7. topsecret

topsecret Believer

I have a lot to do tomorrow so I am gonna grab some sleep. I will keep posting wrap-up posts tomorrow.

In the mean time, post your comments, compliments, angry complaints, and murder threats on me here. :p

Oh and any questions too. :)

I will finish up tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Synsensa likes this.
  8. topsecret

topsecret Believer

And whoever wants to host next should get ready for signups. :)

Synsensa likes this.
  9. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

YEAH, @Dolbster. Or @Timsup2nothin, or should I say Timsup2somethin?

I wasn't AWOL. I made a c a l c u l a t e d decision. Which paid off due to my unerringly pristine intellect. :smug:

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I'm begging out until I have at least played a game from the mafia side, so Dolbster?

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I was actually going pretty much with "it's just Tak," right up to the no vote. When you showed up saying "just read 200 posts" eight minutes after EoD it reminded me that I knew at the time you were on line and on the board, but that you didn't vote. Town-Tak might do a lot of scummy looking things, but town-Tak wouldn't have just left us hanging with that tied vote, IMO. If I'd been alive to drag you into an interrogation (of the Salem witch trial variety) I don't think you'd have been able to bluff or bluster out of it. Especially once I reminded @Montmorency that you had stuck him with casting the deciding vote.

Credit where credit is due, that was a really timely kill.

I have to say though that when you guys killed me, and then you sort of half assed some responses to some other stuff I had said that wasn't really accusatory in the first place while just outright ignoring the one real accusation I couldn't believe no one called you on it.

I'm going to frame this:
    All the people who told me "oh, yeah, the mafia just kills people because they are town reads...it has nothing to do with what they were saying about their suspicions..." expect a free copy delivered to you next game...like every ten minutes.

12. Dolbster

Dolbster King

Yeah. I'll put signups up tomorrow unless someone else wants to host

Synsensa likes this.
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I'm in.

Unless someone else does it.

Then I'm in there.

Not that I'm eager to play or anything.

vote: @Takhisis

14. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

I won't start signups if other people want to host, but I usually can rustle something up in a jiffy. On tequest.
    At the moment it was better not to vote than do a stupid vote. But this is said with the benefit of hindsight, of course.
    It's all sleight-of-hand. Why do you think some of the better players among us are also good at predicting electoral upsets IRL?
    Well, I do have a certain comment related to Manasi kept, with the necessary BBcode for a quote included, in a certain text file. You could do the same.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Final comment for the night, completely in character:

⁑THE GOOD GUYS WON!⁑

Proven by our princess being in another castle.

16. Dolbster

Dolbster King

I was hoping to get the opportunity to post this

17. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

OOF! Bad news to wake up to. 4 wolves is an uphill battle indeed but still definitely doable for town.
    You what? I didn't fabricate a thing, I just didn't tell the mafia I could absorb one-shots of the abilities I scanned.
    In regards to what? Are you saying I played irrational? The only pure town I ever voted for this game was Choxorn, and his game wasn't exactly a beacon of villagery. Should of course have joined the Zack wagon D4 but your fake tie wish claim didn't exactly help. When I went to bed I figured the vote would get tied by one of the non voters. Other than that after targeting LA I had a one shot protection I was going to try to make count. N4 I figured it would be either you or me. You had publicly asked for LA's protection so I self protected. And as mentioned I couldn't protect you either way as I had already targeted you on a previous night and was not allowed to re-target anyone. Delaying it wouldn't have helped so I did the best with what I had at my disposal.
    Aye that was harsh. We would have followed up with a Tak lynch for sure and hopefully Csargo after that although that's kinda speculative.

Anyway thanks for hosting the game Topsecret! Really fun game that really engaged a lot of people! And gratz to the mafia on the win!

A win by spreadsheet was probably within our reach, but it would require a well oiled town with a lot more activity towards the end. Among the townsfolks, Tim and Monty gets a special mention for consistently providing content. I tried to join Monty in that push for maximum mechanical enlightenment but time was an issue for me.

18. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

You missed the LYLO part of N5 update ;)

After Tim's push on me D3, what did you want me to do? "Guess what folks, now I have a NK ability! yeah!"
    I did say my roleblock gained a scanning ability, which is what a NK do: permanent alignment revealing roleblock :goodjob:... but OK :hide:

Also, I take responsibility for the town loss (see below what I sent to TS), but initially I wanted to killed Tak (or Zack... my wife had a look at your voting post in N4 and said "I haven't followed this, but this Zack is scum!"), but you convinced me to do otherwise (that's me praising your leadership ;) :lol:). In one of your post you explained that Yako/Newyn were to be resolved before Tak, and I (unfortunatly) followed you. gasp. :)

iirc I just pointed out that Yako was always in the same target than the killer, well, before N4.

Again, you owe me some here... (more than the 2 coins you gave me this game :lol:). Before going nuts with NKing Yakostovian, I had some good reads...

Then you tunneled on our great Tak.

Too bad I wasn't focused enough (rather disturbed by Monty :p) to follow up with my own (or your) thoughts!

Don't be too hard on yourself here. Argon is a grown old man.
    (Though after this post and your beginning of D5 totally skipping Newyn, I had a "finally Monty is a master wolf" moment)

Quotes from my conversation with TS. Sorry town, I f...ed up totally on N4.

Also,

@LordArgon: you better ask lynch immunity and a bullet-proof jacket at night because I am going for you next game :lol:

19. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Congrats to the mafia team. You all played very well. You even tricked the host! :goodjob:

------

Thank you @topsecret for hosting this game. Very nicely done. Hope you find the energy to host some more in the future!

------

My vote for town MVP: Tim. Monty as a close second.

------

I request the wooden spoon!

Cheers

20. pzelda

pzelda Prince

I thought four wolves were set in stone. It make association reads even little easier. I think Zack and other wolves did a great job with anti-spew.
    Other than that it often was more about willage. For example me turning my list upside-down twice. I think my final poe was decent.