Master of Orion 3

i got master of orion 2 and it's too confusing for me to even begin to figure it out so i'm not getting master of orion 3

I just found it, but I'll wait until I've tried it a few days before I draw an opinion about it.

I think ist just like it was with civ3: the game isn't just a polished version, but a completely redone game. I'm quite happy with it so far and although there are some things I don't like it's still far better than Space Empires 4 ;)

Bought it, installed it, playing it - Graphics are very, very nice. Games runs smooth on an XP 1700+ with 512 Megs of RAM. I will have to try it out on my wife's P2-450 with 64 Megs of RAM.

Originally posted by DaEezT
2) Spies!!!! they are very effective and there are no "counter spies". Only way to defend yourself against them is opressing you ppl...
D, read the One final note section.

Yeah, and if you are Cunning: Dangerous, like Humans are for starters, your spies get better :D

Originally posted by munzy
D, read the One final note section.

errrr, now thats emberassing :o
I never read anything that smells like "tip of the day", but they didn't write that in the spy section or in the manual :mad:

hehe, well, we all miss things. I just posted it so you would know about it.

Originally posted by .:KNAS:.
I heard a rumor that MOO3 is in real time? that can't be true can it?
There is an option to have time limits on the turns, even for single player. This effects interest rates. If you choose to play without time limits interest rates are set and are not effected by how long you take for your turn. What actually happens with the interest rates/turn time is not know by me - I just remember reading about this while playing the game....I am still on turn one, there is a lot of information to absorb and there is a nice Master (tutorial) guide in-game, at least there is when you pick easy level.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
One thing I think is bad about MoO3 is that you have to manually make new units to use the latest technology.
Maybe the in-game Master guide is wrong but it says that your generals automtically create new units with the latest and greatest....

Originally posted by munzy
Maybe the in-game Master guide is wrong but it says that your generals automtically create new units with the latest and greatest....

I think you misunderstood Grey Fox. There is a button that'll generate an up-to-date unit based on the type you selected(eg long range attack) but there is no upgrade/refit option like in moo2.
I think by saying "you have to manually make new units to use the latest technology. " he meant that you can't upgrade and that you have to build a new unit from scratch to take advantage of new techs.

Thats also something that should have been added. manually scrapping the system ships and rebuilding them is a pain in the ass. I'd like to have an upgrade funktion or something to manage the defensive units.
But maybe that function is there, just not mentioned in the manual and munzy will enlighten me :goodjob: :lol:

Yeah, you still have to go into the Shipyard and select what kind of unit you want, and then press "Auto-Build". Which I do, and then edit as I want. And you also have to manually make units Obsolete. It doesn't replace if you name it the same name.

Although, I'm getting used to making new ships.

Another thing now... I invaded a planet with ground troops, how do I get them off the planet? Do I have to build a command center? If I do... now that's stupid... I just invaded with my entire army of 25 or so Marines, and I have to wait 50 turns for a damn Command center to be built... :(

I never invaded a planet (that statement includes moo2), I just bomb them all off the planet and resettle it!

:mwaha: genocide :mwaha:

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Yeah, you still have to go into the Shipyard and select what kind of unit you want, and then press "Auto-Build". Which I do, and then edit as I want. And you also have to manually make units Obsolete. It doesn't replace if you name it the same name.

Although, I'm getting used to making new ships.

Another thing now... I invaded a planet with ground troops, how do I get them off the planet? Do I have to build a command center? If I do... now that's stupid... I just invaded with my entire army of 25 or so Marines, and I have to wait 50 turns for a damn Command center to be built... :(

You have to disband the Ground Unit to send them back into reserves.

OK, I got the game the first day it came out.

I was frustrated and disappointed, but didn't give up on the game. So I went online and started finding answers to those frustrating questions that the game causes. I am not so frustrated or disappointed anymore. :D

The learning curve is being described as a learning cliff, and I agree. It is very, very steep. Howevere, I am finding that as I get more use to it I am really getting addicted.

Gernal thoughts.

The AI -- Not bad. You can pretty much just click next turn...but that is not the way to win! You have to learn how to set DevPlans for the AI to follow to get the most out the colonies that you want to grow in a certain way.

The Readme on disc 2 has a lot of information.

Pop. Growth. You can go to the planet tab and select a planet and then at the bottom click the Orders Tab. Set the planet to Mirgrate. People from more established planets will start moving.

Spies: A counter spy is a spy you build but don't assign any missions too. Each race has different rates as to how they handle spying. Humans are weak at stopping them.

Taxes: There are three level of taxes.
Planet = City/Sales tax...can only be spent on that planet.
System = State Income...only planets within that system that were collected
Empire wide Taxes = Federal Tax...can be spent anywhere.

Pirates. If you get Pirates in your system (the more pop. planets the greater the chance) the only solution is to have warships stationed in the system.

Races: check out this link http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=261632

mY first impression of MOO3 is it feels "flat".... bleh.

I agree with all of Hitro's points, the biggest glaring thing I really dislike about moo3 is I cannot change the way my spaceship model looks. My first fighter will look like my last... :mad: THAT SUCKS!

I never played MOO2 but I played the first MOO hundreds of times. I loved it. I payed $50 bucks for this so I hope my first impressions are wrong..... but....

Originally posted by Neomega
mY first impression of MOO3 is it feels "flat".... bleh.
I fell that way too.....but I also feel that there is something underneath that I still haven't found. I am on turn 150ish and have run into two other races but have not figured out how to actually make contact with them....

Techs: Got Level 15 power, I think, and level 10 of everything else - I think :)

Edit: turn 100 not 150 and level 8 in everything and 16 in power - kind of close in my guesses :)

Got it yesterday and until now I love it. It's really hard to get into it, but I learn something all the time, and that's what I like most about a game, you haven't figured it out after a few hours of playing.

I'm playing my second game now, after I lost my first one since someone else was elected master of orion :mad: . Now I'm playing as the humans and they suck at counter-espionage, something blows up almost every turn...

Does anyone now how this warfare thing works? Those bloody cynoids declared war on me, I took the opportunity and conquered 2 of their worlds just as I was about to attack the third one I got I message that I am no longer at war. WTF? I didn't accept any peace agreement, or is peace unilateral in this game? It didn't matter that much since they declared war again about five turns later so I could finish what I have started :evil:

BTW, I love those "gamers tips" in the manual:
Always set your priorities. Live human encounters are beneficial to your well-being and add balance to your world
:lol:

Top Bottom