1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Maya First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, May 14, 2020.

1. criZp

criZp Emperor

Care to elaborate? I know nothing about either of the two characters. Why is this woman better than the other dude?

2. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Thank God that Mayans didn't get end-of-the-world bonuses, I was very afraid of that.

3. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I recall hearing the devs in a livestream talking about how they'd like to think of new ways to use existing mechanics, and on twitter they mentioned about designing a civ with Vanilla rules and Mayans are actually, pretty vanilla, they are not using, loyalty, diplo points, disasters, etc

. I think It's safe to assume other civs will use those systems more and we'll see other ways to play wide (loyalty).

Atlas627 likes this.
  4. criZp

criZp Emperor

hex-grid-png-3.png
    This here is gonna be the max right

5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

If true, then the leader ability needs no name change after all! (I went back and forth on it.) Glad we cleared that up. Thanks!

Firaxis, you don’t need to change the name of the Lady Six Sky leader ability title after all! :)

6. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

Huzzah! Being right sure does feel good. That was literally one of the animations I was telling you about (the one at 1:05)

I suppose you don't give a crap anyway. Still, being right feels great, even if no one else agrees with you. :lol:

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

It's nothing against K'inich Janaab' Pakal, who was indeed a great leader. But he's been in Civ a lot of times, and the Maya did have other great leaders--like Lady Six Sky, whose rule was one of the longest in the world. The Maya are not so starved for great leader choices that the same guy needs to lead them every single time (except that one time the devs chose Smoke Jaguar, who is actually not very well known and was probably chosen for his name :p ).

8. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Based on some computations the most cities the maya can have within 6 tiles of their capital is 9 - because of the 3 tile exclusion zone around a city, you can't layer them 2 ranks deep (you'd need 8 tile radius for that.) Building a ring of cities with 5 tiles between them and the capital gives you 9, although it's radially asymmetric. Basically just place a city at that distance and then go every 3 tiles around the hexagon. You can move some of the cities inwards 1-2 tiles, but you cannot fit 10 cities AFAIK.
    EDIT: you can get 12, i was being hasty and didn't play around enough before I posted.
    But that's still a lot of cities.
    upload_2020-5-14_11-42-36.png

The seowon is probably better overall combined with Three Kingdoms. But maya ALSO has rock solid defense - it's hard to overstate the incredible ability to have UNIQUE ARCHERS that deal both more damage near the capital and more damage to wounded units. Korea relies on raw tech rate to defend, but that only gets you so far on deity. Actually having essentially a 33-38 strength archer is crazy. It gives you a lot of safety you can exploit to get your 8-9 cities up.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

How to play Maya

Step 1) Found your capital
    Step 2) use map markers to lay out all the city sites around the capital
    Step 3) build builders

10. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Ninja'd, but you can get more.

11. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

She's not by any means "better" than the other dude. Pacal is great, but we need variance. And we didn't had a woman yet from the America's. And she did accomplish something. I can understand criticism towards Kristina, but she's great.

Inawordyes, Guandao, Jkchart and 6 others like this.
  12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Isn't this is the max?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

My jaw was basically on the floor. Definitely a contender for new main civ - well, second place main civ to Poland. She looks AMAZING.

14. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Warlord

Personally, I'd change her design how ehecatzin did: lighten the bushiness of her eyebrows and change the eye color. Other than that her design looks really good!

TahamiTsunami and Xefjord like this.
  15. Denkt

Denkt Returned

When you settle the capital you have no idea how good these other cities will be and Maya unlike Korea need atleast something to work with, Korea can take the best spots even outside 6 tile radius and simply throw down great campuses. I much rather have a next to guaranteed great start with Korea than being a bit safer as the Maya.

16. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Certainly Lady Six Sky had among the longest reigns in the Maya world, if we count her likely de facto leadership (Smoking Squirrel was crowned at age 5, so it’s almost certain she was the actual ruler until he came of age). Longest in the whole world I’m not as sure, but Pacal is up there in reign length.

As for Lady Six Sky’s virtues, for those who didn’t read my posts with quotes from books on the Maya, try reading the Maya blog here and the Discover magazine article here. Lady Six Sky was a supremely powerful ruler who beat numerous nearby city states in combat. She was also a priestess of Tlaloc and a princess of Dos Pilas sent to Naranjo to establish a new dynasty.

(Thanks Zaarin for educating people on history. It’s an important duty as we both know!)

Guandao, Zaarin and leandrombraz like this.
  17. criZp

criZp Emperor

Very nice

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Can we meme 5 year old Smoking Squirrel for Civ 7 though? :mischief:

19. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

1) Cool it got female leader
    2) Cool it got scientific bonus
    3) Rest is meh for me.

I mean... Mayans are an incredible civilization, you can do so many things with them, and their civ5 ability was one of the most fun, original abilities in the game (and the simple idea of science shrine was also surprisingly game changing). So I have expected something magical, instead they get nice but not that crazy flat yield bonuses and %. Not bad, but not not amazing (also tbh I suspect they will be in the weaker half of civs).

Oh well, let's see Gran Bolivar and Ethiopia.

20. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I guess It's animator eye, noticed isntantly..but was busy drawing fixes on Photoshop :p

Happy to hear I'm not the only want that can see how it would improve her design, hopefuly they are taking notes, because It's one of those things that look so minor yet make or break the look.

I'm really excited to try the Maya first and turn all the forests and jungles into glorious farms and plantations to grow massive tall cities...it worked for the classical Mayans...right? well, we could always build a spaceship and let the rest of the world to deal with the destroyed climate.