1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

McCain VP Poll

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zarn, Jul 24, 2008.

?

Who do you think will be selected?

1. Charlie Crist

3.8%
  2. Mike Huckabee :eek:

5.1%
  3. Bobby Jindal

5.1%
  4. Sarah Palin

13.9%
  5. Tim Pawlenty

16.5%
  6. Rob Portman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tom Ridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mitt Romney

20.3%
  9. Colin Powell

5.1%
  10. Rudy Giuliani

2.5%
  11. Joe Lieberman

3.8%
  12. Condoleezza Rice

7.6%
  13. Other/ The Governator will be on all tickets :evil:

16.5%
  1. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

No, I'm not going to say "Finally." :p

The Veepstakes we did earlier did not have a CFC poll. Plus, we now have some new info (but only if you did your homework), and the same applies to the Dem poll out there. I didn't see anything, so I hope this is not a duplicate thread.

Obvious McCain VP Potentials
    Charlie Crist
    Mike Huckabee
    Bobby Jindal
    Sarah Palin
    Tim Pawlenty
    Rob Portman
    Tom Ridge
    Mitt Romney

I am putting Colin Powell, Rudy Giuliani, Joe Lieberman, and Condoleezza Rice on there, but I seriously doubt any of the four will be asked.

2. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I'll bet it's either Crist or Romney.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Chieftain

I second the above.

We'll find out soon though, if what I heard is correct.

4. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Was Jesus Christ unavailable again?

5. Zarn

I think Palin has a chance. It depends on the 'scandal' in Alaska. She exposed your accuser pretty badly in the creditability department, but some people just automatic guilt presumers. I'm sure you know the type. She does have the pipeline thing going on, which I think is now cleared to be built. That could help her and hurt her. It is a success (so far), but does she need to be the guiding hand? I'm not so sure about that.

Jesus isn't American, so he is ineligible.

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Chieftain

If it is Palin, I hope the female advocates don't say its a scandal to get women's votes :(

7. Zarn

She might not be the most likely pick, but she is the best one by far.

She just happens to be a woman. I think she would actually get a positive response from many women, though.

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Fred Thompson . . . to make McCain look young and energetic by comparison.

9. Zarn

Wait, McCain is not young and energetic?

I was thinking Thompson (although I don't think you were), but I think his chances are way too low, like Ron Paul low.

10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Perception-wise, he is compared to Frederick of Hollywood.

11. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk Chieftain

I see Romney as his VP.

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

he needs some one with economy background AKA Mitt Romney

13. Adrogans

Adrogans Quiet Laughter...

See its who I think will be veep, not who I want to be veep. I see Romney getting it, but would like to see Palin. Course would love to see Powell but it wont happen.

14. scy12

scy12 Chieftain

None. /..

15. Trajan12

Trajan12 Chieftain

Mike Huckabee is one of the extremely few far-right Republicans who I think is a really likeable dude. And seeing as if McCain gets elected it couldn't get any worse anyway, my nod goes to Huck.

I highly doubt Colin Powell will ever be on another Republican ticket, though it would help distance him from Bush in a way to have one of the very few in the administration who came clean.

16. Zarn

I don't see Romney getting it, and I don't know who would be more likely. As a result, I picked who I wanted and had a decent chance.

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

McCain hasn't done a very good job at closing leaks to the press...the smart money is overwhelmingly on Romney or Pawlenty. I'm praying for Pawlenty, because I don't think I can go to an LDS church while Mitt Romney is on a ticket.

Powell and Rice are impossible. Both have declined to publicly endorse John Mccain, and a lot of political insiders think at least one is voting for Obama.

Rob Portman is a dark horse, and is certainly qualified...but he also has pretty strong ties to the Bush administration and is boring. Portman would be an extremely strong candidate for statewide office in Ohio, and the big chatter in Columbus is that Portman wants to run in 2010 for the US Senate, when George Vinovich is expected to retire. He was heavily recruited to run in the special election for Ohio Attorney General, but every big Ohio name turned that down.

Tom Ridge was actually McCain's first choice, but the base (and McCain's money) turned him down. Ridge is pro-choice, and that will cause too many people to flip out.

Bobby Jindal publicly said he doesn't want the gig...which is a good thing, because he isn't ready. You also can't take potshots at Obama's inexperience when your VP is 37.

Sarah Palin would likely overshadow McCain, and is involved in a scandal right now. Not what he needs.

18. Zarn

Or maybe he is a lot better than you think. ;)

I said I didn't think either had a chance, but I knew people could be upset if I didn't.

19. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

I'm pretty sure it will be Romney or Pawlenty. And Pawlenty's stock is on the rise at the moment. He could swing Minnesota, which might very well be the Republicans only pickup this year. He also has tons of personal synergy with McCain.

Romney is more of a shield against economic attacks. I don't think his second advertised purpose (unifying Republicans) would work as advertised. For one thing, he's a Mormon, (One of the few religious differences that still matter to some), and for another, he played Johnny come lately as the Savior of the conservative base (Version 1.0: Non Southern Fried Creationist Edition), before that he had to hide from hunters searching for RINO ivory. Oh, and by all accounts he an McCain hate each other, but that's incidental.

Bobby Jindal ls the wonder kid of the GOP, young, and more experience then most 60 year olds. Unfortunately the same Americans that think Obama is a flag burning Muslim can't tell the difference between him and the Indian kid behind the counter at 7-11. He hasn't quite imitated Sherman (Either in the speech, or in burning Savannah), but he seems pretty sure he won't be VP

Mike Huckabee, on the other hand, is beloved by the same people that hate Jindal, and he has a friendly, authentic personality. The problem is that a large part of that personality is insane. He's also a tad more economically liberal than the base would like, but that's an asset in this election

Sarah Palin is a national unknown, and share McCains basic political views (She points to something and flips a coin. Heads and she's a conservative, tails she's a moderate) She also meets Obama's black man and raises him a woman. As sad as it is, McCain might need her help to hold onto Alaska this year.

Charlie Crist would pretty much allow McCain to count on Florida, which is great. He's also a decent governor, and he and McCain like each other (No, not like that). On the other hand, Florida probably isn't that much of a worry for McCain (That's speaking as a Floridan). It's a decent territorial pick, but he isn't getting many references by the McCampain or the Media

Tom Ridge is essentially a Pennsylvanian version of Crist, tactically speaking, he has more experience (legislative and national security, and may move his state out of the Democrat's column.

Rob Portman is the third of the 'native son of a swing state' trio, and the only non governor. He could help McCain in Ohio, which is obviously critical. On the other hand he was part of Bush's trusted braintrust on economics.

Ouch.

20. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I don't really think that everything we know was leaked on purpose. We actually know almost nothing about what Obama is thinking about his choice...we know a few people "on the list", but no staffer, or Obama, has really said a whole lot about the matter (political pundits have, but nothing from inside his camp)

We know several things about McCain, including who he originally wanted (Tom Ridge).