McCain VP Poll

Who do you think will be selected?

• Total voters

Zarn

Le Républicain Catholique
No, I'm not going to say "Finally." :p

The Veepstakes we did earlier did not have a CFC poll. Plus, we now have some new info (but only if you did your homework), and the same applies to the Dem poll out there. I didn't see anything, so I hope this is not a duplicate thread.

Obvious McCain VP Potentials
Charlie Crist
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
Rob Portman
Tom Ridge
Mitt Romney

I am putting Colin Powell, Rudy Giuliani, Joe Lieberman, and Condoleezza Rice on there, but I seriously doubt any of the four will be asked.

I'll bet it's either Crist or Romney.

I think Palin has a chance. It depends on the 'scandal' in Alaska. She exposed your accuser pretty badly in the creditability department, but some people just automatic guilt presumers. I'm sure you know the type. She does have the pipeline thing going on, which I think is now cleared to be built. That could help her and hurt her. It is a success (so far), but does she need to be the guiding hand? I'm not so sure about that.

Jesus isn't American, so he is ineligible.

If it is Palin, I hope the female advocates don't say its a scandal to get women's votes :(

She might not be the most likely pick, but she is the best one by far.

She just happens to be a woman. I think she would actually get a positive response from many women, though.

Fred Thompson . . . to make McCain look young and energetic by comparison.

Wait, McCain is not young and energetic?

I was thinking Thompson (although I don't think you were), but I think his chances are way too low, like Ron Paul low.

he needs some one with economy background AKA Mitt Romney

See its who I think will be veep, not who I want to be veep. I see Romney getting it, but would like to see Palin. Course would love to see Powell but it wont happen.

None. /..

Mike Huckabee is one of the extremely few far-right Republicans who I think is a really likeable dude. And seeing as if McCain gets elected it couldn't get any worse anyway, my nod goes to Huck.

I highly doubt Colin Powell will ever be on another Republican ticket, though it would help distance him from Bush in a way to have one of the very few in the administration who came clean.

See its who I think will be veep, not who I want to be veep. I see Romney getting it, but would like to see Palin. Course would love to see Powell but it wont happen.

I don't see Romney getting it, and I don't know who would be more likely. As a result, I picked who I wanted and had a decent chance.

McCain hasn't done a very good job at closing leaks to the press...the smart money is overwhelmingly on Romney or Pawlenty. I'm praying for Pawlenty, because I don't think I can go to an LDS church while Mitt Romney is on a ticket.

Powell and Rice are impossible. Both have declined to publicly endorse John Mccain, and a lot of political insiders think at least one is voting for Obama.

Rob Portman is a dark horse, and is certainly qualified...but he also has pretty strong ties to the Bush administration and is boring. Portman would be an extremely strong candidate for statewide office in Ohio, and the big chatter in Columbus is that Portman wants to run in 2010 for the US Senate, when George Vinovich is expected to retire. He was heavily recruited to run in the special election for Ohio Attorney General, but every big Ohio name turned that down.

Tom Ridge was actually McCain's first choice, but the base (and McCain's money) turned him down. Ridge is pro-choice, and that will cause too many people to flip out.

Bobby Jindal publicly said he doesn't want the gig...which is a good thing, because he isn't ready. You also can't take potshots at Obama's inexperience when your VP is 37.

Sarah Palin would likely overshadow McCain, and is involved in a scandal right now. Not what he needs.

McCain hasn't done a very good job at closing leaks to the press...the smart money is overwhelmingly on Romney or Pawlenty. I'm praying for Pawlenty, because I don't think I can go to an LDS church while Mitt Romney is on a ticket.

Powell and Rice are impossible. Both have declined to publicly endorse John Mccain, and a lot of political insiders think at least one is voting for Obama.

Or maybe he is a lot better than you think. ;)

I said I didn't think either had a chance, but I knew people could be upset if I didn't.

I'm pretty sure it will be Romney or Pawlenty. And Pawlenty's stock is on the rise at the moment. He could swing Minnesota, which might very well be the Republicans only pickup this year. He also has tons of personal synergy with McCain.

Romney is more of a shield against economic attacks. I don't think his second advertised purpose (unifying Republicans) would work as advertised. For one thing, he's a Mormon, (One of the few religious differences that still matter to some), and for another, he played Johnny come lately as the Savior of the conservative base (Version 1.0: Non Southern Fried Creationist Edition), before that he had to hide from hunters searching for RINO ivory. Oh, and by all accounts he an McCain hate each other, but that's incidental.

Bobby Jindal ls the wonder kid of the GOP, young, and more experience then most 60 year olds. Unfortunately the same Americans that think Obama is a flag burning Muslim can't tell the difference between him and the Indian kid behind the counter at 7-11. He hasn't quite imitated Sherman (Either in the speech, or in burning Savannah), but he seems pretty sure he won't be VP

Mike Huckabee, on the other hand, is beloved by the same people that hate Jindal, and he has a friendly, authentic personality. The problem is that a large part of that personality is insane. He's also a tad more economically liberal than the base would like, but that's an asset in this election

Sarah Palin is a national unknown, and share McCains basic political views (She points to something and flips a coin. Heads and she's a conservative, tails she's a moderate) She also meets Obama's black man and raises him a woman. As sad as it is, McCain might need her help to hold onto Alaska this year.

Charlie Crist would pretty much allow McCain to count on Florida, which is great. He's also a decent governor, and he and McCain like each other (No, not like that). On the other hand, Florida probably isn't that much of a worry for McCain (That's speaking as a Floridan). It's a decent territorial pick, but he isn't getting many references by the McCampain or the Media

Tom Ridge is essentially a Pennsylvanian version of Crist, tactically speaking, he has more experience (legislative and national security, and may move his state out of the Democrat's column.

Rob Portman is the third of the 'native son of a swing state' trio, and the only non governor. He could help McCain in Ohio, which is obviously critical. On the other hand he was part of Bush's trusted braintrust on economics.

Ouch.

Or maybe he is a lot better than you think. ;)
I don't really think that everything we know was leaked on purpose. We actually know almost nothing about what Obama is thinking about his choice...we know a few people "on the list", but no staffer, or Obama, has really said a whole lot about the matter (political pundits have, but nothing from inside his camp)

We know several things about McCain, including who he originally wanted (Tom Ridge).

Top Bottom