Meaningful Colours

For DLC use this mod need to be adjusted. In current state it will not work there. Just use it as normal mod for now. I hope @rynamusante will figure out how to make it work as DLC. You don't have to rename it. There are references set and they should work now.

For DLC use this mod need to be adjusted. In current state it will not work there. Just use it as normal mod for now. I hope @rynamusante will figure out how to make it work as DLC. You don't have to rename it. There are references set and they should work now.
Oh no no I don't need it as DLC. Just asked because I had problems with the original RCI not working properly. Ty trying it out today or tomorrow.

I had problems with later versions too, but there was some time I used it as a DLC with no problems. The only problem is that this mod has one strange bug of not ran as a DLC, we wrote about it earlier. Maybe we will do 2 versions available.

Do you run it with VP? I would like to know if non-VP players have no problems with it. I'm devoted VP player so I cannot check that by myself :p.

Okay, so I tested the newest MC (Meaningful Colours) with the latest beta Vox Populi (10-10-1) and it's included EUI. What I found was, it was working exactly like the original RCI (Redesigned Colors and Icons). Well, more like not working at all unfortunally!

To begin my test I cleared my entire Civ V documents folder (and then added the mods again) so when I start Civ up again it creates clean game settings.

Working #1:
Deleting my entire documents folder (and then adding the mods again) lets me choose and play a game with MC completely working as long as I never close Civ or load a save.

Main Bug #1:
Loading the latest game save without restarting Civ reverts my own Civ colours.

Main Bug #2:
Starting a new game with the same Civ also reverts my own Civ colours.

Main Bug #3 and probably the biggest:
Restarting Civ and loading the lastest game save, MC does not function on any Civs anymore.

In all 3 bugs I can see MC is indeed still active because switching to top view map changes other civs colours to MC's again.
This suggest something in the normal map view is not correctly implemented / activated, which goes back to the original RCI mod by dylansan and was never fixed. Link

The only possible fix seems to be the DLC style:
IIRC this has been discussed several times in the forum. This is impossible to fix due to the Civ5 engine. The only way yo avoid this problem is change the mod into something which can put into the Civ5 directory directly, instead of make a real mod which need to enable from the mod menu.
Source here and also more discussion about this on the following pages, including the RCI author.

Last edited:
Ive never met your bugs in game beside that one I described earlier. I agree that DLC is the only option. Code is just pure xml/sql table change. We cannot do much to resolve that. @ryanmusante are you eager to do this?

Ive never met your bugs in game beside that one I described earlier. I agree that DLC is the only option. Code is just pure xml/sql table change. We cannot do much to resolve that. @ryanmusante are you eager to do this?
Should I try still to convert it to sql? I don't know if that will change the effect. I need to know what the root cause of this is.

It must be loaded before game start (as DLC) not as a mod after the game started. Converting to sql probably do not change anything. Probably, but you can try thisi f you have some spare time.

It must be loaded before game start (as DLC) not as a mod after the game started. Converting to sql probably do not change anything. Probably, but you can try thisi f you have some spare time.
That must be the reason why the developer of Flags+ chose lua hooks. The lua apparently mitigates the issue but at a cost of using more RAM. So this mod needs to be converted to a DLC only.

Civ only accepts one custom DLC right? So to play with MC and EUI together is there even a way around creating a mod pack then?

Civ only accepts one custom DLC right? So to play with MC and EUI together is there even a way around creating a mod pack then?
No, I've been playing with multiple DLC's for a long time with no problems. These include EUI, TTE_2k, my version of the original RCI and several other personal UI mods. In addition, I have recently built a modpack for VP using the MPMPM tool and it also works fine in tandem with my DLC (in single player).

No, I've been playing with multiple DLC's for a long time with no problems. These include EUI, TTE_2k, my version of the original RCI and several other personal UI mods. In addition, I have recently built a modpack for VP using the MPMPM tool and it also works fine in tandem with my DLC (in single player).
Glad I'm wrong, thank you!

@adan_eslavo
Can you test this beta DLC version? I don't know if it causes issues with EUI or gameplay.

Note for users: It unzipped and placed in "/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC" folder of your Civ V installation for activation. Please remove the existing MC from your mods.

Attachments

• UI_MeaningfulColours.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Maybe my earlier post has confused things, but I don't think a modpack built with MPMPM is the way to do this. I am using multiple DLC's but only one MPMPM modpack.

It seems the term modpack is used in two ways, which while fundamentally the same, have a different impact. A simple modpack such as EUI (and my own mods) works (mainly) by superseding existing xml (and LUA) files, so that the ones from the mod are used in place of the default files. On the other hand, modpacks built with the MPMPM tool supersede all the original xml files and the replacements contain the whole game database.

It's quite likely that trying to use two modpacks built with MPMPM won't work or will at least cause problems. Maybe that is what the previous poster meant to ask about.

What I think would be needed for this mod is a simple (non MPMPM) modpack. I was investigating making a simple modpack for this mod just before you posted, but I'm not sure if it's possible - certainly my first attempt didn't work :(

What I think would be needed for this mod is a simple (non MPMPM) modpack. I was investigating making a simple modpack for this mod just before you posted, but I'm not sure if it's possible - certainly my first attempt didn't work :(
Any luck with implementing this?

Any luck with implementing this?

Sadly no. I still think it's possible to implement the city state part as a DLC (and I already proved the RCI part could be), but I can't see any way of then making it compatible with the Unique City States mod, as that would be loaded after the DLC. For the time being, I've given up trying and am just using my version of RCI as before.

I hate to say it, but due to the bug affecting the mod version of RCI, that part is best implemented as DLC, whereas the CS part seems best as a proper mod. I hope I'm wrong and you or someone can find a way to overcome the problems.

Split it again? Extract each mod separately and make RCI as DLC. Post MC and I will update download link. If youmake RCI work then you can post it by yourself, it will be your child :)

Did you (or anyone else) try out the version posted in message #53? I didn't see any feedback.

I mean I don't know that a MPMPM modpack wouldn't work as a solution - but someone else reported that multiple modpacks lead to problems and it does seem quite likely given how they work.

Thats what happend to me. Or similar. I had vanilla colours.

Top Bottom