Media Pack Ideas?

Sandro

Chieftain
I think there could be added more cool music specific to techs/religions etc., so I just want to start a brainstorm of possible tunes and also want to hear what kinda copyright restrictions we are dealing with in a mod.

Idea for tune in Fellowship peacetime: Massive Attack - Teardrops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8eQBSp9Ao

Cheers,

Sandro

I think there could be added more cool music specific to techs/religions etc., so I just want to start a brainstorm of possible tunes and also want to hear what kinda copyright restrictions we are dealing with in a mod.

Idea for tune in Fellowship peacetime: Massive Attack - Teardrops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8eQBSp9Ao

Cheers,

Sandro

copyright... I for my part would only like to include stuff we have asked the author and got permission to use. But dont know how we "officially" handle it. (I for my part use only handmade original stuff for my units and graphics).

Fair use generally means you're not making cash on it and not changing/replacing the original value. Which is why you can't make superman's costume green and call him your own thing, but you can make mix tapes and such.

Fair use generally means you're not making cash on it and not changing/replacing the original value. Which is why you can't make superman's costume green and call him your own thing, but you can make mix tapes and such.

Fair use doesn't allow you to use copyrighted material as long as you arent making money on it. Mix tapes are actually illegal.

The rule I go by for music in the mod is that I use small clips 5-10 seconds without the artists permission. But for anything longer (full songs) I have to either have:

1. The artists permission (which I have from Rich Douglas and Nox Arcana).
2. The artist has to have it available for free public download on the web. Though even in this case I try to get a hold of the owner to get their okay.

I only know of 1 song that breaks this (the song Hex used to tie in with the opening movie) which I wouldnt have added but Hex did such great work making that movie that I didn't want to kick it out because it violated my stance.

Honestly even those 5-10 second clips are illegal, and i would obviously remove them in a second if their owners requested it. My hope is that the credited use of their music in FfH brings them new business, it doesnt hurt their business.

Its a similiar process for art, though obviously its easier to see plenty of examples of art free for download by the owner on the internet.

Kael is pretty much right on the money. I work in media, and most people's interpretation of what fair use is would also land them in court, paying hefty fines.

Schools are some of the worst violaters as they think that because they are an educational institution they have free reign to do as they like.

When it's in my hands I own it. No amount of pushy pushy is ever going to translate the idea of personal ownership into perpetual license.

No amount of denial of the existence of the law is going to render the law nonexistent.

-- ACS

In case anyone's remotely interested, I was going through the excel editor the other day and it turns out that civs can have different diplo music depending on what religion they follow. E.g. Elves worshipping FOL would have different diplo music to AV elves, which would have different diplo music to AV sheaim, which would have different diplo music OO sheaim etc. Would make an awesome modmod, or media mod.

Idea for Order Avrigus - The Grail
...and maybe some other tunes from this band.

No problem with copyrights :

Greetings,

You may not know that since our record label Hammerheart Records has not paid us royalties in over 3 years we have decided to release our entire discography in MP3 format via Bit Torrent.

Link to full statement.

I only know of 1 song that breaks this (the song Hex used to tie in with the opening movie) which I wouldnt have added but Hex did such great work making that movie that I didn't want to kick it out because it violated my stance.
Feel free to alter the file to something different, if you have another track that you have the rights to use - although I do like how that track works with the images and the flow of the video. ;)

(It won't prevent me from keeping it on my own setup - after all, I am using the hi-res version of that file, which is substantially larger and crisper than what is in the media pack) :lol:

I've always thought the "Statue Park" theme from Goldeney 007 would be good for the Illians (but their current music is better, and I don't think they can change religions), as well as the Jedi theme from Knights of the Old Republic II for Order Sidar. Unfortunately, both are from fairly prominent videogames, and I doubt we could use them easily.

Top Bottom