Meet the Modders

I'm starting a new job next week. Still in the software development field, but I'm excited about the opportunities at the new company. Going from a traditional, conservative white-collar financial company, to one that's pretty involved in a Department of Transportation grant to modernize city infrastructure, which could have a noticeable impact in the area where I live and perhaps more broadly as well. I hadn't even heard of the new company a few months ago, before going to a talk organized by the city council president about that topic.

I suppose, considering the timing of the DoT grant, this would be the appropriate time to say Thanks Obama!

Quintillus, I wish you good luck with your new job! :)

FB_IMG_1456355824810.jpg

16... i sorta remember that. Mostly i remember the hair and clothes...

My advice, if asked, would be to waste no time finding what it is that you are passionate about, and pursue whatever that is, with all that you have. Life is so short, goes so fast, and so much time is wasted.

good luck.

Last edited:
Greg.png

ronning...
I remember younger years and the hopes, dreams and successes that went with them. You are so right that Life is short. "For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, it might have been."...
John Greenleaf Whittier

Enjoy Life while you have it. decisions, decisions... Make the most of it.
...and "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

View attachment 501985

ronning...
I remember younger years and the hopes, dreams and successes that went with them. You are so right that Life is short. "For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, it might have been."...
John Greenleaf Whittier

Enjoy Life while you have it. decisions, decisions... Make the most of it.
...and "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Always relevant, and as true today as when spoken.
Funny how life never really changes, except for the curtains and the window dressings, life remains the same.

Now on to the future. 2018 is almost in the can, the holidays ahead, and a brand new year yet to be written.
I hope all of you make it your best ever.

Lets get to work.

smaller.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_18-2-39.png
    upload_2018-8-29_18-2-39.png
    71 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I've started listening to podcasts, given that I'm now driving more, and tonight listened to a bit over half of the ModCast Focus: Civilization III. I'm quite enjoying it! It's really interesting hearing the backstory of how several prominent modders became involved, hearing perspectives on modding, history, and the community in a conversational format, being reminded of various mods and modders from years past (not just those in the podcast itself), and learning how El Justo's username is supposed to be pronounced.

I've also started working in southern Michigan, while still spending most weekends in Ohio, and that again has me wondering about a arranging a potential Civ3 meetup in either Michigan or Ohio. I know @vorlon_mi is active in the Civ3 forum and listed as being in southeastern Michigan, and @Balthasar, @WildWeazel , and I had planned on a south-central Ohio meetup a couple years ago, although I had family commitments come up at the same time. But I would be up for trying again. Southern Ontario, northern Indiana, and Chicago are also within reasonable travel distance.

I've started listening to podcasts, given that I'm now driving more, and tonight listened to a bit over half of the ModCast Focus: Civilization III. I'm quite enjoying it! It's really interesting hearing the backstory of how several prominent modders became involved, hearing perspectives on modding, history, and the community in a conversational format, being reminded of various mods and modders from years past (not just those in the podcast itself), and learning how El Justo's username is supposed to be pronounced.
The one from a few years ago? Took forever to set it up - so many time zones to complicate just matching schedules. The raw recording was probably about double the length of the podcast. People really didn't want to stop the conversation.

The one from a few years ago? Took forever to set it up - so many time zones to complicate just matching schedules. The raw recording was probably about double the length of the podcast. People really didn't want to stop the conversation.

That's the one! From 2014! I suppose that would have been a lot of time zones... England to New Mexico, maybe even farther afield. I'm glad people were enjoying the conversation as much as it sounded! I'll likely listen to the rest of it on my drive on Friday; I'm a bit too tired to give the second half the attention it deserves now.

@Balthasar, @WildWeazel , and I had planned on a south-central Ohio meetup a couple years ago, although I had family commitments come up at the same time. But I would be up for trying again. Southern Ontario, northern Indiana, and Chicago are also within reasonable travel distance.

I'd love to, but I think I just made my last Ohio trip for quite a while. If anyone's in SE Texas don't forget to say howdy!

I must have missed that podcast. I was only in a regular episode as a fill-in, and it being the Civ5 era I felt quite out of place.

Finally logged back in after quite a few years. Good to see a lot of familiar names still hanging about.
Great to see you back Tank_Guy#3!
Many Members are still here... just staying busy with Life Off Line as well.

I'd love to, but I think I just made my last Ohio trip for quite a while. If anyone's in SE Texas don't forget to say howdy!

I must have missed that podcast. I was only in a regular episode as a fill-in, and it being the Civ5 era I felt quite out of place.

Alas, timing is difficult! I have no plans to be in SE Texas in the near future, but do have a friend down there who I intend to visit at some point. So it may wind up happening!

And indeed, Life Off Line is often competing for attention. Usually life is better when it's competing. But the community here shares positive aspects of many of the communities I was formerly part of, only to have moved away geographically. Just as it's great to revisit those occasionally (whether by telecommunications or in-person visits), it's great to see old regulars swing by and provide updates every so often.

Top Bottom