Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

the thread is dead, but the fix is currently not dead, unless Hark gives up on it...which last I saw or heard, he was planning on spending a lot of time in february on it

Hey the fix is gr8 ,
Thanks Harkonnen, can finally play civ 4!
But its still not complete i'm sure coz the game still sucks a lot of video memory. RAM , everything...
waiting patiently:
o' rescue us from the depths of unplayable civ!!

Have a problem,
can finish the game with your fix in ver 1.00 but am unable to upgrade to ver1.09 or 1.52 coz patcher says 'cannot find civ on your system'
What should i do??

Well I can tell you this. I uninstalled Harkonnen's fix and installed Patch 1.52. It crashes to the desktop or freeze up within 5 minutes. So I reinstalled Harkonnen's fix (with 1.52) and it crashed as well. Then I installed the old Harkonnen fix and what do you know, it works! So I guess your old fix still works with 1.52 Harkonnen. :)

Interesting! The original patch DOES work.

Just use the patch from post 1 on this thread and don't upgrade the patch to the later version and the game loads fine....

Maybe that will give you a place to start work from Hark and help with the troubles you are currently having....

Phu

Aikanaro said:
Well I can tell you this. I uninstalled Harkonnen's fix and installed Patch 1.52. It crashes to the desktop or freeze up within 5 minutes. So I reinstalled Harkonnen's fix (with 1.52) and it crashed as well. Then I installed the old Harkonnen fix and what do you know, it works! So I guess your old fix still works with 1.52 Harkonnen. :)

phubar said:

Just use the patch from post 1 on this thread and don't upgrade the patch to the later version and the game loads fine....

Maybe that will give you a place to start work from Hark and help with the troubles you are currently having....

Phu

so it works huh?

where is the original patch? I dont see it on the original page :sad:

I may be blind... so can someone point out the exact file name...

and what does the all Mighty Harkonnen :king: say about this?

Can he verify that it works?

I dont want to replace the working patch with this one if it doesnt work...!

(But I really hope it does work... cause I want to update to the official 1.52 patch and play some neat mods... like exaiver's composite mod! :goodjob: )

PLEASE say it is so KING Harkonnen!!!

:eek:

phubar said:

Phu

But does it actually give perfomance improvement?

sgrig
If we are talking about 1.00 or 1.09, then - yes:

1) It improves performance due to reducing swapping (due to reducing memory usage).
2) It improves stability for same reasons.

As far as I've seen, only 1.5-2 Gb system RAM users benefited little from my fix. Also GF Ti4200 and AFAIK FX 5200 users got less than others.

Well, if some gameplay changes of 1.52 are critical for you, you'll stick to 1.52 anyway; and then you will have to wait for my 1.52-friendly release (which I'm not sure to be able finishing yet...)

I'm damn frustrated. May be 1.62 (or whatever number it is) will be more easy? ;) Well, this doesn't mean I stand still waiting for next official fix... but at least I start thinking so...

It's ok Hark, don't let it get you down. I find that often taking a break from something, and getting a good night's sleep or two can help sort things out. Often just when I'm about ready to give up entirely I find the solution that I am looking for. Of course there are those times when you just can't find the answers... Hopefully this isn't one of those...

Lleweb
Hey, I didn't spend entire February with it anyway :) It just gets more and more difficult to make myself returning to it with so many faulures behind. Currently I spend a day or two a week trying something new.

You are right, I need a change... the change of thinking didn't help during late February when I was more busy with other things. The belief in change in civ4 itself might help. Next official fix can become such a change...

Those newly introduced video memory errors in 1.52 will enforce Firaxis to making some changes in their memory engine for 1.52. And I intuitively believe that my fix incompatibility arises from same problems with 1.52.

In case the next official patch solves some of existing problems, but not all, there is a hope for fixing their new effort, making it 80-90% working like fixed 1.09 was. I mean Firaxis will improve civ4 1.62 (presumably) to 60% working at all game stages, and with my next fix (or even existing one) this may turn into 80-90% or even 100% for some systems.

Time will tell... and probably some next week 1.52 (protection?) will be finally kneeled :)

Harkonnen said:
sgrig
If we are talking about 1.00 or 1.09, then - yes:

1) It improves performance due to reducing swapping (due to reducing memory usage).
2) It improves stability for same reasons.

As far as I've seen, only 1.5-2 Gb system RAM users benefited little from my fix. Also GF Ti4200 and AFAIK FX 5200 users got less than others.

Well, if some gameplay changes of 1.52 are critical for you, you'll stick to 1.52 anyway; and then you will have to wait for my 1.52-friendly release (which I'm not sure to be able finishing yet...)

Sorry, I assumed phubar was talking about 1.52. I have used your patch extensively with 1.09 and it did give amazing perfomance improvement. (by the way I'm one of FX 5200 users)

I actually installed 1.52 only about a week ago, and found that at least on my computer, perfomance is comparable to 1.09 with your patch. However there is still a long way to go to perfection. :)

I was talking about 1.52. One more thing, I just started the game and got a curious pop-up msg...

"Please be aware, this is not an official patch" or somesuch.

It didn't stop me from playing, but I found it kind of funny. Is this your doing Hark or is it Firaxis?

Phu

sgrig
As for speed - 1.52 performs almost identically (slower for me, but I guess that's my 1.3Ghz CPU). The problem is that at later stages you may catch "out of video memory" message and you won't be able to do anything about that. With 1.09 (even unfixed) it would swap like a hell, but still remain playable. 1.52 turns this problem into something you can't live with, and forces you to exit.

Not everyone faced that, but rank of this problem is pretty high.

phubar
Yes, my fix sometimes says that... that was sort of a safeguard against possibility of Firaxis using it silently in 1.52. These messages were delayed in time, so that possible "modifier/hacker" could not see this problem by the time of 1.52 release.

Anyway, I didn't see any evidence of Firaxis using my code. They could use my ideas from this forum, but that's ok :)

Hi Hark - glad to see you are still plugging away.

Personally, I fixed my all my Civ 4 1.52 problems .... Start Menu\Control Panel\Add & Remove Programs\ Sid Meirs' Civilization 4\Uninstall. It worked for me. ;)

However, if you do eventually come up with a solution for the newest version, PM me & I will help you test it out again - it's the least I can do for all the effort you have given to the quest.

I found I have lost all interest in even trying to get the game to run properly - haven't played since right after New Years and trying to get the 1.52 patch to run even 2/3rd's as well as your effort --- and I needed the disk space to load a new game I hope will be fun - Gal Civ 2. (I have even lost the taste for Civ2/Civ3 - it was just not fun playing them after Civ 4 showed me a glimmer of what those games could have been...unless a free patch comes out that really fixes things, I am on to find a game that will let me have fun in my free time, - gawd knows I need the stress relief.)

Anyway, take care and good luck - I really thank you for all you have done.

oldStatesman
Thanks man! Surely I will PM you. The same thing happened to me, but fortunately only to Civ4. I can't accept it as a game after all that surgery... Civ3 still looks like a game since no "dirty fingers" of mine were in its body.

Still I hate its trade network connectivity algorithm which renders huge archipelago games practically unplayable at late stages due to inter-turn delays... Unfortunately, this is not manageable like graphics in Civ4 :(

Someone even made a CPU benchmark out of Civ3 alongside with Doom3 and alike :D

Top Bottom