Men: Harden Up

Zardnaar

Deity
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57690857

Article is about Australian men. They're allowed to cry.

At a funeral
Winning or losing a grand final.

Various negative consequences, suicide and domestic abuse.

It's very similar here at least with my generation and older. Never saw the ol man or brother cry, neither of us cried at my mother's funeral. Women said "you took that well". Uncle didn't cry at his mother's funeral.

Cried like a baby (in private) before the funeral. Sister and wife gave me space so grieve alone.

Australasia may even carry it to extremes as we generally regard American men as cry babies at least stereotype from American TV. Americans that I've met tend to be more passionate/expressive publically as well though eg happiness.

Our suicide stats are also terrible with young men espicially Maori. Their culture often tends to play up the warrior culture and Rugby is a big thing here and the haka is famous. Which is a war dance.

Very rare to almost unheard of to see men cry in public outside a funeral or a tragedy. Death of pet will do it as well.

So stiff upper lip inherited off England influenced by the Maori and colonial legacy (do it yourself, sort out your own problems). More Scots proportionally espicially where I live and older generations (Welsh, Scottish).

Been three years since mum died still have an occasional nightmare but NZ harden up:(

Big shortage of shrinks and mental health stats are terrible. Growthing up we didn't even know what a therapist was and had to figure it out via US TV. They existed but never heard about them until later in life.
So probably not the best approach.

Last edited:
It only makes sense that if you think they're expressive when they're sad/happy, then you think they are going to be expressive when they're happy/sad. As with all things:

"The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal."

Big shortage of shrinks and mental health stats are terrible. Growthing up we didn't even know what a therapist was and had to figure it out via US TV. They existed but never heard about them until later in life.

America leads the world in psychiatry and therapy for those who need it the few who can afford it.

America leads the world in psychiatry and therapy for those who need it the few who can afford it.

Growing up we thought it was a con to sell prozac to yanks.

I think it's free/cheap here but good luck getting an appointment anytime soon unless it's "critical".

I like Aussie dudes for the most part, they keep it real.

Jim Jeffries one of my favorite comedians (altho his newer stuff isn't as good)

Modern culture is weird, I agree traditional masculinity has its issues. My dad was very old school type of guy, repressed, stoic, dry, biting humor, never once saw him cry. Probably died too early because of it.

But modern metrosexual type of dudes trying to be all sensitive and non-offensive and simpy are also repressing emotions, just a different kind.

It's just need easy being human and trying to be who you think you're supposed to be.

Being non-offensive has very little to do with repressing emotions. Offense isn't an emotional state. It's not something you need to do in order to maintain a healthy psyche.

Anyhow, as a resident sensitive and somewhat non-offensive baby-waby, I have emotions all the time. I get angry, I get petty, I get sad. Being in-touch with your feelings and sensitive to that of others doesn't involve me repressing anything. Even when I was younger and more idiotic with what I said, I'd still be conflict-averse, for example. Always have been. Avoiding conflict, insofar as it counts as repressing something (harm done to me or a friend, for example), has been a "me" thing for longer than I've ever known politics, popular culture, or the like.

It used to be because I was bullied a lot, and now it's because after more than a decade of water polo I genuinely wouldn't want to hurt people by accident. I prefer to talk a situation through than punch my way through walls. When I was a teenager, there was a lot of punching walls and the like. I wasn't bad at talking to other people about their problems (I've always been good with that), but I was terrible at recognising my own. But then again I was an 18 year old straight teenager after seven years of a dude-only high school. Some frustration and lack of processing is to be expected :p

But then again I was an 18 year old straight teenager after seven years of a dude-only high school. Some frustration and lack of processing is to be expected :p
Damn that's rough. I spent a year in all boys boarding school and another two and a half in another boarding school that was coed but may as well not have been as the sexes were highly segregated and you'd be punished for even making eye contact with a girl.

Top Bottom