1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

(thoughtfully looks closely) And from this angle, the ship is even prettier.:D

MightyToad likes this.
  2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Detection and engagement range aren't the same thing though. I still maintain that a missile with its potential to contain various countermeasures, maneuvering ability and a decent atomic payload beats any sort of kinetic projectile. And railguns and lasers don't really make too much sense for shooting up from the planet either on account of all the atmosphere getting in the way.

Sure but we are talking about a situation where it's suddenly practical to launch the battleship Yamato into space. I think we can safely say that we have past the point where we are constrained by such bourgeois concepts as actual physics. xP

But I do absolutely dig where we are so far. Basically we have an atomic launched warship built around the Hubble space telescope spinally mounted inside a Yamato firing atomic bombs from its turrets. At this point missiles vs laser vs shell vs whatever is just a question of scratching out the vs and saying YES.

Not really. It's not like on the oceans where you'd still get shockwaves and stuff. But that's all irrelevant because at the end of the day we both ignored the obvious fact that armor won't help you avoid a mission kill in this day and age where your ship relies massively on a wide array of communications and sensor equipment none of which can be behind armor. At the end of the day if the radiation kills your radar and radios and stuff your ship is out of the fight.

I am talking about these things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence_rangefinder
    Notice the image on that page and how nicely the water/sky cutoff line outlines the whole thing. That makes your job much easier than if you were say trying to spot a black ship against a black background in the blackness of space all the while trying not to stare directly into the sun.

Sure that's a bug. But bugs can be ironed out. We just need a really thick iron pusher plate to do so. And you have to admit to the appeal of a giant concrete lined silo opening up to the sky to fire a literal warship.

In this lake, quite normal fish have been swimming for a long time, and the radioactivity is lower than in some resort Ramsar,:D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsar,_Mazandaran[/QUOTE]
    No, I was talking about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Karachay

That only worse is what I imagine is going to be the back end of any such facility launch pad as soon as we get a spot of rain.

3. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Interference targeting anti-missiles in the final section will not help against lasers and railguns firing from the ship. At the same time, the missile itself can be put much more powerful interference, unlike a projectile or a laser beam.

No amount of maneuverability can save you from the same laser-the beam maneuvers obviously faster. At the same time, the railgun can shoot not only projectiles, but also high-speed clumps of plasma. Too little for a protected ship, enough for a rocket.

1. The anti-aircraft railgun is just slightly affected by the atmosphere 2. Brute force is everything, and there are no restrictions on the mass of ground installations. As a result, it is not a problem to destroy an unarmored ship at all. 3. Aircraft-based lasers flying at the border of the troposphere have already been used. At the same time, if the enemy has LARGE atmospheric ships ... 4. First of all, we are talking about space-based vehicles.

At the moment of collision just can

...And even if the protection does not work, we have optics and laser scanning (lidar) with their "space" capabilities, etc. In the atmosphere, radars have few adequate competitors, in space they are enough.

It just uses parallax.

Since then, in fact, a thermal imager has been invented. And since there are problems with the discharge of heat in a vacuum, the target shines brightly with radiators or other coolers.

And it won't help at all. For starters, the cumulative jet is so good at penetrates armor because it doesn't interact well with theу.

This is a radioactive waste dump, not a trace of a nuclear explosion. At the same time, the distance to Semiplatinsk is 1428 km.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    ramzay1945 likes this.
  4. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

When loading OBJ and 3DS files in NifSkope, the position of the axes changes. Does it matter? Or is it enough to switch their position in the program itself?

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I shouldn't matter, I mean the previews do show Toad test the units beforehand, so I wouldn't worry.

Speaking of Toad, Toad you returning to ancient mythical ages with the Mycenaeans? A lot of people posted Assyrian and Mitanni stuff, idk if that interests you.

FYI I found the perfect website for you: https://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/medieval-ships/

Covers all eras of ships...great source. I didn't know there was an era where Cogs were the mainstay of european navies., or that there was a Byzantine Super Dromon(Dromon Battleship?). I'm going to try to make that one based on your civ5 conversion.

6. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I don't know what your getting at? Are you importing OBJ/3DS to add to a unit?
    Object_Center.jpg
    You see here for the Swordsmans Shield. The center and rotation for the mesh are not at the center of the mesh, but at the location of the forearm bone. So, if you were to try to replace it with something else that actually does have 0/0/0 rotations and translations you would have to compensate for that. If the object rotations are really weird it is nearly impossible to get it to look right.

I am thinking of how to convert the warchariot to a chariot archer. My initial experiment was to just replace the bone movements for the spearman with those of an archer. Doesn't work. At the moment I don't know if I can figure something out. :hammer2:

7. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

The chariot archer might end up being a real doozy, sorry :cringe: You're probably familiar with ambrox62's Bronze Age Chariot Archers, but here's the link and a small zippie just in case they'll be of any help :)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/24-bronze-age-chariot-archers.13436/

Thank you again very much for the Tau'ri ships, they're impeccable :thumbsup:

Spoiler ambrox62 - quote on Chariot Archers :
    "These units consist of a single archer on a open chariot, with custom animations to manage bow and arrows."

"Unfortunately a unresolved glitch is still present on these units. During the StrikeA anim, while the unit stops itself after attacking, sometimes the left arm disappears (it happens in a ranged attack situation mostly). I suspect the issue stays in the NiTransformInterpolator (index 15) which links the BIP L Clavicle node, but I wasn't able to fix it. If someone could get rid of it is really welcome."

Attached Files:

MightyToad likes this.
  8. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

No, I'm trying to translate ready-made models into the Nif - now the object of experiments is the Shtug model. A little earlier, there was a tank from the World of Tanks and a Jeep. They all changed their orientation with touching unanimity.

I'm sorry and thank you. The design initially looked suspicious even to my more than unskilled eye.:wow:

9. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Thanks. I try to do everything for myself at least once. That's how you learn. Looking at ambrox62s work. Looks like he had the same approach I'm using. I've just tested using the longbowmans animations, and they are much more compatible. So, looks like I'm not getting out of this one.
    Archers and Chariots are the two most complex units in the game.

Like I said. The object orientation is relative to its center. But, If you are wanting to import a complex unit like a tank you would still need to rig it to the skeleton in blender or 3DS Max. Otherwise it will just be a static object that doesn't move.

tantanmen likes this.
  10. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Hell, the easy way didn't work out:D. I'll have to download the blender.

11. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Let's just say that there is about 10% of the basic information on the Western fleets, 3% on the eastern ones, while 2% of the 3 are actual errors. For example, the statement that the Chinese did not have specialized warships before the appearance of gunpowder is fake/ The book is in Russian, but there are online translators and it is with pictures:D
    https://coollib.com/b/274486/read#t3
    975 АD
    Spoiler :

For obvious reasons, the Chinese had a decisive force in the river fleet, but the expeditions of Geng He did not happen out of nowhere.
    And a bit of almost" what if " from real life. The paddle wheel was not invented by Papin and Da Vinci

"Even before the Spring and Autumn period, there are references to wheeled ships in Chinese literature. Sometimes it is just a message about ships that can travel long distances without the help of the wind and are driven by people completely hidden inside the ship. Opponents, not seeing the oars and rowers, often believed that the ships were moving spirits. In the description of the battle that took place in 418, the ships that departed from the pier "by themselves"are mentioned. After a century and a half, we read about "foot boats", thanks to which we learn about the principle on which wheeled ships worked. In 782. the following text appeared: "Li Gao has always been interested in skillful machines. He built ships, each of which had two large wheels on the sides, driven by topchaks. The ships moved like the wind, raising waves as if they had sails on them."

12. Darkator

Darkator Chieftain

13. Sword_Of_Geddon

I thought it was a good resource for the art and some info but I'm very aware of naval warfare outside of Europe. Some examples:

Chinese had the Paddleships they were a main ship in their navy during that period, Korean and Chinese ships had to contend with Japanese, Malaysian and Indonesia piracy. The Japanese invaded Korea and Naval power(with the Turtleship) by the Koreans was decisive in that regard. There were battles between other Asian powers at sea, such as when there were multiple kingdoms instead of China. A lot of action in East Asia. Other than Junks the large castle-like ships were used alot, in Japan and Korea.

14. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Yes, I'm just used to the more fundamental ones.
    By the way, there were two different traditions of shipbuilding in China. Moreover, the South, which created large seaworthy ships, was strongly influenced by Indonesia and Indochina, in which very large sea vessels appeared earlier. Giants Jen He was a harsh necessity - it was difficult to scare the Javanese with anything less than that. " Party Unus is the largest that people have ever seen in this area. There were a thousand warriors on board, and Your Grace can trust me ... that it was an amazing sight, because the Anunciad next to him didn't look like a ship at all. We attacked it with bombardments, but even the shots of the largest did not penetrate it below the waterline, and (shots) esfera (a large Portuguese cannon) I had my ship enter but not pass; it had three shells, all of which were more than cruzado thick . And it was definitely so monstrous that no one had ever seen anything like it. It took three years to build, as Your Grace may have heard tell in Malacca about this Pati Unus who created this armada to become the king of Malacca."

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

I read the Junk type ships originated in Indonesia and Indochinam, the iconic sailing ships of east asia descend from that tradition, while the other one is similar to the Atakabune and Turtleship tradition of Japan and Korea.

16. Sword_Of_Geddon

What kind of chariot were you working on Toad Mitanni or Assyrian?

17. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I'm just planning to use the Civ 5 unit. I've been manually editing individual key frames one at a time for all the bones. It's maddeningly tedious. I'm beginning to reevaluate my life priorities. :lol:

Assuming it all works out I might make new units using the new animations.

tantanmen likes this.
  18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sounds promising. Did you have further plans for Mycenae or you moving to something else next? Did you see that link I posted earlier? With all the ships of each era? I figured you might like it.

19. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

I fell sorry for you:scared:. I should also do graphics, but... Instead I chat on the forum:deadhorse:

And there can be many of them. For example, the process of tank building did not stop at the Assyrians. If they built "Tigers", then the Indians built"Royal Tigers". If not "Mouse".:eek:

20. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

No,no. The Indians built Elephants.