Moai

You can only overflow 30 :hammers: at a time. Too slow for my liking. Also, waiting for max overflow means delaying completion of the unit/building you're using for that. Organised Religion helps, but not a whole lot.

You want to have it before you hit your GAs. Moai shines in GA. I sometimes build it in the watery capital to boost its production for Oxford.

How about combiing Moai with Ironworks in a watery and bureaucratic Amsterdam? I've always moved the capital in such a situation, but I wonder... Ironworks is the only other nat. wonder which syncs with Moai, and if you have Maus of Mous and pursue a Golden Age strat, that's some decent production runs. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on :)

How about combiing Moai with Ironworks in a watery and bureaucratic Amsterdam? I've always moved the capital in such a situation, but I wonder... Ironworks is the only other nat. wonder which syncs with Moai, and if you have Maus of Mous and pursue a Golden Age strat, that's some decent production runs. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on :)

Moai city is a poor choice for Ironworks compared to a riverside city with, say, 15 worked river tiles. Because the Levee alone beats moai. As Dutch, what you'd basically get is a seaside "plains hills windmill" city.

At the industrial era, Moai is just an average production city, and prior to that it's so-so, because, unlike in standard production cities, you need 4 worked tiles to get 4:hammers:, while in a typical continental production city with a food resource you need to work just 2-3 tiles to get 4 hammers (say a food resource and 2 grassland hills).

I just had a game where my moai city was combined with ironworks - 44 base hammers, which isn't any sort of record, of course, but isn't bad at all. a few hills, a couple of ivory, a cow, a fish, a few river squares for a levee. And the extra health from the harbor helps out a lot.

Best spots are a peninsular city with like 2-3 hills, a land food resource, a seafood, and like 12-15 water tiles. Doesn't make for your best city usually, but it'll give you pretty decent production and good science.

I find that i build it earlier when coast tiles are workable because i am financial or built the colossus. Otherwise i built it rather late, usually to make a marginal city with some seafood less marginal.
The kind of city i build it in is as decribed above, a fish, 2 hammer tiles, crappy land otherwise and a lot of coast.

Don't forget that if you have stone or IND (or both), the Maoi statues can be a great source of failure gold. Build it in one city, close it down just before finishing, then another, etc. Then, once the one that you want is ready to build it, get it done and enjoy the Maoi failure gold. It is an excellent subsidiary economy; the "failure" economy.

It's a game design flaw, but exploitable at higher levels.

Don't forget that if you have stone or IND (or both), the Maoi statues can be a great source of failure gold. Build it in one city, close it down just before finishing, then another, etc. Then, once the one that you want is ready to build it, get it done and enjoy the Maoi failure gold. It is an excellent subsidiary economy; the "failure" economy.

LOL I think that's brilliant!!!

Since you want the thing as early as possible, you can do it while building the lighthouse in the "right" city, but you want the gold and the wonder soon, so you can't really make too many of failed moais.
1 or 2 if you are lucky

Since you want the thing as early as possible, you can do it while building the lighthouse in the "right" city, but you want the gold and the wonder soon, so you can't really make too many of failed moais.
1 or 2 if you are lucky

Well it depends upon your position. If you are isolated, then waiting for a the big cash in on a Maoi failure gold can be worth it. I have seen a couple of games posted on this site where player had 5 or 6 Maoi's waiting for failure gold. This is more productive than building wealth (which you have to wait for currency to do).

You have to be careful about hammer decay. If you wait too long, then you can be in trouble.

Also, this doesn't have to be done strictly with Maoi's. Any wonder will do, but national wonders allows you to have multiple failure gold sites.

Top Bottom