Mod Component Request Thread

Here are a couple of ideas:
1) Allow changing of social policies midgame. Like a "Reset policies button" or something. Have it go into anarchy for a turn or two.
How about making a wonder that does this? Maybe Magna Carta.
2) In game clock
The steam overlay (shift+tab in game) has a clock, but I see your point.
3) Rework the diplomacy so you can at least ask a nation how they feel about another nation.
4) I like the idea of ranged units, but I'm not sure I like the execution. I've always pictured a tile to be like 500-1,000 square miles, so it's kinda weird to think of an archer shooting an arrow 50-100 miles.... I mean, I guess it could work with some later game units MAYBE, but it doesn't really sit well with me with archers. I think archers should be treated like auxiliary units that you embed with foot soldiers that essentially allow you to bombard a unit before attacking.
For archery units, how about give them a range of 1 instead of 2? They are still ranged, which means they won't enter the tile even if they kill the unit, and the target won't fight back. Could buff their ranged attack slightly to compensate for the fact that they make themselves VERY vulnerable in order to enter attack range.
It would not require any new mechanics.. just tweaking of a few numbers.

Oh, and very obvious request:
Allow us to choose which tiles the city grabs when it expands culturally.

It shows good judgment in most cases, but sometimes is very weird.
Recently, my city culturally took a Desert tile, in spite of the fact that plenty of productive tiles were available at the same distance. I assumed that the city was probably expanding their because their was a strategic resource that the game was taking into account even though I wasn't advanced enough to see it. Sure enough, when I researched Biology thousands of years later, oil popped up in that hex.
Which brings me to my next few ideas:
Allow us to see strategic resources that we can't access yet (giving no bonus)
Allow us to build non-matching improvements on a resource, though it will take away the bonus. A tile with horses will only take a pasture, even though in a later era I might prefer a trading post when I no longer need horse units.

Definitely want to choose my culture tiles. I had a city grabbing flatlands in preference to fish. :mad:

One glaring modcomp that would be nice to have is to have Notification system balls be more permanent up to when they are no longer needed. As they are now, they only are present one turn. I like them because they will take me to right spot on the map (Barbarian encampments or ancient ruins for example). I need them to still be on screen until their specific purpose is eliminated one way or another.

Serious reason why: I have low vision and need help to show me where barbarian encampment is in several turns later when I finally train a combat unit to attack that encampment, as an example. So more permanent Notification Balls would be nice.

I think a better minimap would be the best solution here.
At the very least, we should be apply to apply filters to the minimap to display ruins, barbarian camps, combat units, strategic resources, etc.

The bonus is that the extra happiness goes in the pool towards the golden age. There's also a social policy that adds half of extra happiness towards the next social policy pool.

That's true, but I'd personally be in favor of something else *on top of* the Golden Age benefits. I was thinking that if your Global happiness goes into the 2nd tier (+10 or above-though maybe that threshold should be higher), your units get a combat bonus & your workers build improvements faster. The 2nd tier unhappiness threshold should work the same-only in reverse.

Aussie.

I think a better minimap would be the best solution here.
At the very least, we should be apply to apply filters to the minimap to display ruins, barbarian camps, combat units, strategic resources, etc.

Way too tiny. I like the balls. They are large enough for my eyesight.

Oh, I do have a #6 on the Wish-list-one I believe is beyond my abilities.

6) A Diplomacy/Happiness mod. A complaint that's been leveled by some (possibly accurate) is that by making the AI more "human", it diminishes or removes the role-playing element from the game. Others rightly point out that, if the AI can't play to win, it gives the human an unfair advantage. So an obvious compromise is to somewhat constrain the humans actions via the happiness mechanism. So, for example, if a human player has had an alliance with a civilization for several hundred years, then suddenly turns on them & goes to war, then it should lead to a happiness penalty for you. By the same token, going to war with someone that has treated you poorly should lead to a happiness bonus. These happiness modifiers would apply to the AI & human alike, & so might help make diplomacy more rational, but without totally strait-jacketing the players (human or AI).

Aussie.

Here's a good one... keyboard control over menus... in Civ4 we could use the keyboard to control the in game menus and in Civ5 we cannot... or am I missing something?

How about a pop up reminder if you enter a new era with enough culture to buy a social policy?

Not sure if a new victory condition can be considered a modcomp but one where you have to control a certain landmark (Mount Everest?) for a set of turns would be fun if the AI was taught to go up against the guy with control of the landmark.

Oh, and very obvious request:
Allow us to choose which tiles the city grabs when it expands culturally.

It shows good judgment in most cases, but sometimes is very weird.
Recently, my city culturally took a Desert tile, in spite of the fact that plenty of productive tiles were available at the same distance. I assumed that the city was probably expanding their because their was a strategic resource that the game was taking into account even though I wasn't advanced enough to see it. Sure enough, when I researched Biology thousands of years later, oil popped up in that hex.
Which brings me to my next few ideas:
Allow us to see strategic resources that we can't access yet (giving no bonus)
Allow us to build non-matching improvements on a resource, though it will take away the bonus. A tile with horses will only take a pasture, even though in a later era I might prefer a trading post when I no longer need horse units.

yeah i wish to know too where the resources are, plus there are good historic basis for this. almost every thing in history i could think of folks knew about these natural resources before the advancement to use them sometimes they already use them.

hell we had horses for long as human history. we had coal use since ancient times, we had iron for a long time, we had deep well drilling for salt, natural gas was a by product use for lighting(argument for oil lol, i know its not oil but its very related :p, i'm sure if there was abundant oil in china they probably would of notice it)

only thing i can think of that doesn't have a ancient use or notice is aluminum and uranium:/ lol but its makes the game more fun to notice it before.

hmm i'll give aluminum a shot anyway :p. the romans and greeks use it as a aluminum salts as dye agent. they found a aluminum belt buckle in a ancient Chinese tomb.(whom ever made it went to the grave with the tech, since silver was the main currency for most of chinese history)

This is extreme request. I strongly doubt anyone will or even can do it due to any of three reasons: 1)accessibility issues (inside .exe), 2) know how, or 3) willingness. But I need to take it off my chest, just in case.

OK,here is what I want: stack back but with one VERY STRONG CHANGE.
Create a new plane for fighting. I mean if you put units in stack and that stack attack another stack, a new popup window come up of a different plane. More detailed background depending on the tile. Then each unit will take turns, then the next big turn, AI do its attack, then big turn my turn to use my units. Until the combat is finished with whoever winning. That way you keep both stack AND 1UPT. Stacks on the world map but 1UPT in a zoomed up fighting plane.

Plus, added benefit, it would almost perfect represent historic battles, because it is weird to see battles for cities or tiles taking hundreds to decades of years! Wars, yes, but not battles!

Like I said above, doubtfully can do but want to toss it out there, just in case.

Modcomp request: GDR+!! Adding the ability to automatically generate a cruise missile every 2 turns or so (unless it's at carrying capacity of 2 already) to the GDR would be so awesome. Imagine a line of GDR's all firing off at each other at once, whee!~

This would just be the coolest thing ever, imo. Since the GDR is really pretty boring as-is. I mean, what kind of giant robot doesn't have missiles??

Please post all mod component requests in this thread please.

Thanks

I would like a mod that allows me to not only pick the age i want to start in, but also determine the ages I want to play through.

Personally I prefer the Ancient, Classical and Medieval ages, and I lose interest in the game as it approaches modern times. I used to play a Civ 4 mod that was just about ancient times (and with a modified tech tree and civilisations) and that was great!

But porting a mod like that will most likely take ages, so a mod like mentioned above would keep me - and I am sure other people as well - happy until then. :)

When the end of the last age is reached the current winning player should be declared winner. I dont know the details about that yet, but maybe just point score.

I would like a mod that allows me to not only pick the age i want to start in, but also determine the ages I want to play through.

Personally I prefer the Ancient, Classical and Medieval ages, and I lose interest in the game as it approaches modern times. I used to play a Civ 4 mod that was just about ancient times (and with a modified tech tree and civilisations) and that was great!

But porting a mod like that will most likely take ages, so a mod like mentioned above would keep me - and I am sure other people as well - happy until then. :)

When the end of the last age is reached the current winning player should be declared winner. I dont know the details about that yet, but maybe just point score.

Possible with default options and a little tweaking, if you know about how long an age should last.

In the advanced start menu, you can select what age you start in. You can also set a limit to the number of turns in the game, at the end of which the person with the highest score wins.

For archery units, how about give them a range of 1 instead of 2? They are still ranged, which means they won't enter the tile even if they kill the unit, and the target won't fight back. Could buff their ranged attack slightly to compensate for the fact that they make themselves VERY vulnerable in order to enter attack range.
It would not require any new mechanics.. just tweaking of a few numbers.
This in combination with making a new "type" of unit (ie in addition to combat and non-combat) so that you can have a ranged unit and a melee unit in the same square would be nice.

I would like to request that if people want to make mods/maps/user custom created content that they then upload to the ingame mod browser, as I won't be downloading and manually installing a damn thing.

Thank you.

Top Bottom