1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Kael, May 18, 2006.

1. Feynman

Feynman Chieftain

We didn't play the game in Gamespy, we play it by direct IP. I mentioned Gamespy because you can see other multiplayer games there. There are hundreds of CIV IV games there and not a single FFH2 game. We tried a FFH game at Gamespy and it was working fine but after 150 turns with normal speed you get OOS nearly every turn as in all our other games.

We played patch g for a long time, because it was the last stable version. But now we are tired of waiting for a new stable version, because noone seems to work on it.

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Like I said, there are plenty of people working on it. The FfH team has other things going on atm (standalone game takes precedence, I'd think), but the mod teams are working on it.

Look in the proper places, and you'll find it. For instance, the link in my sig.

That said, I believe Wild Mana is more stable for multiplayer atm; RifE will be, but not until I release 1.3 with the ranged oos fix.

3. TemplarLord

TemplarLord Chieftain

I luv this mod!

Perfect time killer until civv shows up.

4. Lord Lord

Lord Lord Chieftain

I have been getting OOS problems too. Any chance anyone can make a sticky thread with all the steps that can fix it? Seems to be some conflicting info going around. I know deleting the stuff in the "user\documents\my games" folder does not work. I just realized there is a "user\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword" folder and will try to delete that next.

Also I am not sure this is really an FFH problem.

5. dogshu

dogshu Chieftain

You need to be running Patch D to play FFH2 multiplayer. But don't allow the last of the four horsemen to appear or you may get an endless end-of-turn. You need to delete the mods/FFH2 folder completely and reinstall from scratch, you can't downgrade from a patch higher than patch D.

6. braeden182

braeden182 Chieftain

Hi... I need some help. I have BtS 3.19, Fall from Heaven 2, and Fall Further all patched to the most recent version, as of May 30, 2010. BtS works fine, but both FfH2 and FF freeze when the game autosaves (never in menus or advisor screens- only during an actual game.) I tried editing the .ini for FfH to disable autosaving, but apparently it loads from XML. Any idea how I could fix this problem? (by the way, FfH 0.23 works just fine for my vanilla civ4, 1.74.) I have a Windows XP computer, tons of RAM and memory. This link has a more accurate description of the problem:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=366277 Please PM me

7. MaunoKasa

MaunoKasa Chieftain

hi

is there any way to play barbarians in custom game? and if there is what is the way?
    They just have so many heroes that is temptating :)

8. Duffydodo

Duffydodo Chieftain

Hi there,

I was very excited, when I found the ffh2 mod. You guys did a fantastic job, but now I quit playing ffh2 for several reasons.

1. I play over the internet with only 1 friend. After around 200 turns the game slows extremely down (standard size) so we always have to wait every turn for too long. We both have good CoreDuo x64 Systems, but I have only 2 GB Ram; does anyone know, if 4GB would accelerate our game? Our internet speed is > 4.000kBits/s on both sides.

2. We always play highest difficulty level. In our last game we builded up troups with good heroes and units. So my friend started to attack an enemy-AI with a very fine stack of > 20 units in about round 450. The first enemy city was no problem to conquer. Then he came to the next city and what did he saw? An enemy stack with more than 300!!! units. Ridiculous. We saved game and loaded the AI (btw: the AI had far less points than we) to see, how he can do so. And what we saw was even more ridiculous. The AI made -1.600 gold every turn and he could not support his troups, which were already revolting. But the lack of money did not hinder him to build every turn more troups. He should loose all of his troups he can not support, but he lost every round maximum 4 units. Very funny, because he had overall more than 500 units I guess.

Conclusion: It makes no sense to levelup your heroes and units, if there are AI`s who are producing such a mass of units, that, if you want to have a chance, you have to do the same s.h.i.t. (what you can`t do, because you`re human and not AI!) like the AI: only quantity and no quality!

Did anybody made the same experiences? I love this mod, but under this circumstances, it makes no sense at all to play it again; what a pity :(

greetings
    Duffydodo

9. Jennvare

Jennvare Prince

Massive armies are a way of life in FfH. Theres really no getting around it. It is also why so many systems bog down because yer computer is processing the orders given to SO MANY units. You almost need to fight with them constantly just so the AI doesnt win by overloading your computer and forcing you to surrender. What a way to win! ;)

Only way I've been able to beat down huge enemy armies is with a constant amphibious assault on a coastal city. If you control the sea, you can send amphibious troops to empty the city of all but 1 soldier. Do not take the city. This way, he sends more units to bolster the city and you rinse and repeat until he is no longer able to send more troops. Works well in restoring system functionality.

10. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

Another good way to fight massive armies is with several Drill IV, Precision, Blitz and Accuracy Crossbowmen. With enough first strikes and defensive strikes, a few of those units will let you take on hundreds. It's even better if they have Combat promotions as well, because then they can do the fighting and the support. The only problem you may run into is large amounts of collateral damage, and Pyre Zombies.

11. Jennvare

Jennvare Prince

Pyre Zombies?

Yeah they can be scary. However, get maybe ten mages with Life II magic (destroy undead), you'll wipe out a stack guaranteed. In one game, I knew he Sheaim were going to come for me. I kept 10 mages in the nearest city as well as my own stack (maybe 40 units) I thought that was alot at the time. When they declared war, they came with a HUGE stack of 150 Pyres and 30 other assorted units!!! Walked my mages up to do hit and runs and had them all destroy undead. When I ran them back, I checked their stack and all the zombies were gone!! Destroyed 150 zombies with 10 spellcasters and no return damage. :)

I rather liked that. So any game I play after that, I always make sure I get Life II magic going.

12. MaunoKasa

MaunoKasa Chieftain

Pls anyone?

13. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

That's not currently possible, sorry.

14. vruchten

vruchten Found serenity in torture

there are two way´s to "play" the barbs:

-take the clan or the inefernals and keep in peace until you finish off the last enemy.. play for detruction of the world..

-or try to manage to get unit like priests or mimics to be realy good in converting enemy units.. like that you can steal all the good babaric units

STACKS: another good way to handle stacks is mages with fire and mind: impress them and bombard them with fire.. doesn`t work with zombies because they can`t be impressed... so you would need life in that case

15. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

A lot of this is because of what you say next. Specifically, the huge number of units. The AI runs the "unit AI" for every unit every turn. The more units it has the longer it takes.
    So stop playing on the highest difficulty.

The higher difficulty levels don't make the AI any smarter, they just give it discounts on things to make it research faster and build things faster (a LOT faster on the highest setting) and get other bonuses of that sort.

16. Sephi

Sephi Deity

no. The "unit AI" runs only for headunits of selectionsgroups in a specific activity state. If A SoD consists of 10 units or 400, there is not much difference performance wise. However if those 400 units were all individual units they would need like 200x more time as the 400 units SoD because they would all do the time consuming path finding calculations individually.

17. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Gotta say I love playing this mod on a huge erebus map, 3 - 5 civs, dynamic difficulty scaling, and all the barbarian options turned on (Raging barbs, double animals, barbs start with cities etc).

Currently playing the IND leader of the Khazad.

18. Lopriest

Lopriest Chieftain

A lot of good suggestions given for reducing those humongous enemy stacks. Thought I'd add my two cents:
    1. Hit them with all your AOEs, maelstorm, fire balls, etc.
    2. Start wounding their toughest units, first by attacking with all your summons. Then follow up with cavalry strikes (your horse units should have as many flanking promotions as possible so there's a greater chance of them withdrawing than dying.)
    3. Now that a great many of the enemy are wounded, unleash your assassins and destroy the stack from the bottom up.
    4. When your attacks are done and the huge stack still stands, hit it with all your hold spells, charm, blinding light, entangle, etc. Now they're not going anywhere and you can repeat next turn.

:D

19. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Is there any way to export a FFH2 save as a worldbuilder file without breaking everything?

20. WoundedKnight

WoundedKnight Warlord

I'm having a graphics problem - having installed FFH2 along with the media pack and patch 'n', some units don't display correctly. Spectres display as swordsmen, gorillas display as axemen (dwarven?), etc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and can't seem to get around this. Any help would be appreciated.