[MOD] Fall from Heaven

It was on a random map - custom continents I think. I just wasn't sure if this mod changed any of the code for starting positions and if so, if this could be a side affect of such changes and something you might want to try to locate.

And I'm willing to help out with the text any way I can, so just let me know.

I am almost through with my second game of 1.0, and it's great. The Drown are seriously useful now. Here are my general thoughts and notes that I wrote down while playing.

Every race needs their own units...skeletons, minotaurs, orcs, etc...This is probably a phase II thing, but it will really help to flesh this mod out.
When I play the mod I get the sense of great and smooth alteration, but it won't feel that different until the screen looks different. Along those same lines...is there a way to change the way the terrain looks within cultural boundaries for the religions? For example the evil looking Veil cities don't look right on the happy grassland tiles. Maybe darker tints for veil, bluer tints for OO, a brown red tint for Kilmorph, and a brighter tint for the Order.

Loving the magic system, and drooling for phase II. It feels like Age of Wonders, but looks much better. Kudos.

Note...I didn't realize it till too late...the higher level magic users don't get the adept's haste? That's a no bueno. I think their haste ability is very useful, but higher level mages should be able to get it too....or you could allow adepts to be built even after the better mages have come about.

The game does not feel right on any speed except marathon. I recommend slowing down the tech rate across the board. I love that at almost all times one has a plethora of things to research and build, but it comes too fast. Especially in the middle. Slowing the tech rate will allow for more battle.

On the topic of war. I would like to see some things that force wars. How about some random events. Religious wars, divine interventions, floods, a new NPC demon race decides to grab a few cities, etc...tons of good ideas.

I think you've mentioned this before, but the weaker players need heroes more than the juggernauts. However, it's the juggernauts that get to the techs first, and of course research/build the heroes first.

I've said this before, but I would like to see leader heros that the player starts with, are upgradeable, and if killed would send the nation into chaos or destruction.

Ok. My big recommendation. No stacks of doom. Limit stack size to say 10.

I don't want to harp on this, so I'll try to be gentle. The sea needs some help. This is a problem for CivIV as a whole, but if anyone can fix it, it's you.
We need something to fight for out there, the marine cities still have no way to produce in a useful manner, and the sea civs are underpowered. I love the arcane barge, but I don't have a lot of use for it. Can we get some barbarian sea creatures, sea workers, merchant boats that can generate income by visiting foreign ports....In short the sea needs some help.

I wouldn't mind seeing a nation of floating cities, or mermen cities, or movable floating cities, or caravan cities that can pack up an move.

Ok that's most of my notes.....

I am working on a map/scenario based on the original warlords for your mod. I'll pm you when I finish it.

How does the Mercenary mod work in Fall from Heaven?

Maybe I haven't gotten the tech yet, but I've seen no option to hire mercs.

Sisonpyh said:
How does the Mercenary mod work in Fall from Heaven?

Maybe I haven't gotten the tech yet, but I've seen no option to hire mercs.

In Phase 1 a mercenary is just a mounted unit that you can foce with gold for half the normal amount.

We are looking at adding TheLopez's excellent mercenary mod to phase 2. It was actually in the latest version but I had to pull it at the last minute because of some compatibility issues. Im hoping to have it in.

One of the civs, the Hippus is planned to be a very mercenary civ. If they are AI controlled they will be much more eager to offer their troops out to other players that are willing to pay for their services. The price depends on their opinion of you and they can withdrawal their troops if they choose to cancel the contract.

It should also be possible to hire out your troops to other civs and have a good chance of getting them hired if they are more tech advanced than the units that civ can usually make.

I want to give an option to builder players that focus on their tech or money. So they can run army light and have a option for short term defence while they switch to military production in emergency's.

Starship said:
I am almost through with my second game of 1.0, and it's great. The Drown are seriously useful now. Here are my general thoughts and notes that I wrote down while playing.

Every race needs their own units...skeletons, minotaurs, orcs, etc...This is probably a phase II thing, but it will really help to flesh this mod out.
When I play the mod I get the sense of great and smooth alteration, but it won't feel that different until the screen looks different. Along those same lines...is there a way to change the way the terrain looks within cultural boundaries for the religions? For example the evil looking Veil cities don't look right on the happy grassland tiles. Maybe darker tints for veil, bluer tints for OO, a brown red tint for Kilmorph, and a brighter tint for the Order.

We are working on all of the civ specific units now. I would love to have more religion specific terrain but its pretty low priority right now (the units and then hell take priority).

Loving the magic system, and drooling for phase II. It feels like Age of Wonders, but looks much better. Kudos.

Note...I didn't realize it till too late...the higher level magic users don't get the adept's haste? That's a no bueno. I think their haste ability is very useful, but higher level mages should be able to get it too....or you could allow adepts to be built even after the better mages have come about.

I think you will really like the phase 2 magic system where you casters gain spells as they level and can pick which spells they want to learn.

The game does not feel right on any speed except marathon. I recommend slowing down the tech rate across the board. I love that at almost all times one has a plethora of things to research and build, but it comes too fast. Especially in the middle. Slowing the tech rate will allow for more battle.

On the topic of war. I would like to see some things that force wars. How about some random events. Religious wars, divine interventions, floods, a new NPC demon race decides to grab a few cities, etc...tons of good ideas.

Events and quests are planned for shadow. We do want these things, but unfortunatly they will be late in coming (I need all the pieces in place before I can start building these sorts of events). I may sneak in a few simple events and quests before then.

I think you will find that the new alignment system tends to make religious a lot more common.

I think you've mentioned this before, but the weaker players need heroes more than the juggernauts. However, it's the juggernauts that get to the techs first, and of course research/build the heroes first.

I've said this before, but I would like to see leader heros that the player starts with, are upgradeable, and if killed would send the nation into chaos or destruction.

All of the civs have heroes, some come early, some come late. 2 of the leaders are planned to be the civ leaders. If they are lost the country goes into revolt and the civ loses its traits.

Ok. My big recommendation. No stacks of doom. Limit stack size to say 10.

That would create micromangement for the player, trying to juggle around an arbitrary limit and confusion for the ai, which wouldn't understand why it couldnt move through choke points.

I don't want to harp on this, so I'll try to be gentle. The sea needs some help. This is a problem for CivIV as a whole, but if anyone can fix it, it's you.
We need something to fight for out there, the marine cities still have no way to produce in a useful manner, and the sea civs are underpowered. I love the arcane barge, but I don't have a lot of use for it. Can we get some barbarian sea creatures, sea workers, merchant boats that can generate income by visiting foreign ports....In short the sea needs some help.

I wouldn't mind seeing a nation of floating cities, or mermen cities, or movable floating cities, or caravan cities that can pack up an move.

I agree, if only there was something that would help.

Ok that's most of my notes.....

I am working on a map/scenario based on the original warlords for your mod. I'll pm you when I finish it.

Woot! I cant wait to play it!

hey kael! Sorry. I posted here once and didn't know how to do this all. I've got into Advanced - Mods - Fall from heaven. It loads and I go to Play now. But the game runs normally like an everyday 1.61 game. I think what I did wrong includes something about either the downloading or the installing. I've installed it a million times. And it always says finished. I go to the file the computer says she has put it into. And there's nothing there but Fall from heaven.ini and FallfromHeaven100.exe. Am I doing something wrong? Sorry for all the interruption and all.

Looks great though

SkippyT said:
hey kael! Sorry. I posted here once and didn't know how to do this all. I've got into Advanced - Mods - Fall from heaven. It loads and I go to Play now. But the game runs normally like an everyday 1.61 game. I think what I did wrong includes something about either the downloading or the installing. I've installed it a million times. And it always says finished. I go to the file the computer says she has put it into. And there's nothing there but Fall from heaven.ini and FallfromHeaven100.exe. Am I doing something wrong? Sorry for all the interruption and all.

Looks great though

Yeah, you have to run that FallfromHeavven100d.exe file. it sounds like you downloaded it and copied it into the right directory, but you have to run the exe to install it.

If you dont have civ4 installed at the default location (or are using a non-english version) you will have to change the install patch in the box that pops up when you install the mod.

Well, I installed it in the default My Games. I've got an english version. 1.61. Do I have to have the .exe file open when I go to the game and choose Mods and Fall from heaven?

Kael said:
I just tested and giants shouldn't be able to enter your cultural boundries. Maybe thats something thats allowed on raging? They are intended to make it dangerous to explroe the wild, not be a threat to early cities.

Oh sorry, i forgot; barbarians had invaded a city of mine and kept it for a while, then i took it back (with a stack of archers, what else could i build?) and then a giant took it back while the city was in anarchy. Still, it was too early! Except for a few techs, i went straight for axemen and still didnt manage to get them before giants came.

But i played again, marathon this time, im on turn 1500 :) Damn its fun. I love the way every tech gives 4 or more units/buildings/bonuses, so im always in doubt what tech to get; they are all usefull! And even late in the game units with strengh 3 still are being used; its not like vanilla, if youre a few ages ahead your units will have 3x the strenght; small nations are still fighting.

The different farms cottages for undead and others are cool :) What about making frostlings able to build their stuff on snow, merfolk units really amphibious, even if more expensive or weaker, etc?

Im playing with kenan, org/arc. What arcane does? That spell extention, what does that change, it gives more speed for my fireballs?

Oh and city state is useless :(

Brancaleone said:
Oh sorry, i forgot; barbarians had invaded a city of mine and kept it for a while, then i took it back (with a stack of archers, what else could i build?) and then a giant took it back while the city was in anarchy. Still, it was too early! Except for a few techs, i went straight for axemen and still didnt manage to get them before giants came.

But i played again, marathon this time, im on turn 1500 :) Damn its fun. I love the way every tech gives 4 or more units/buildings/bonuses, so im always in doubt what tech to get; they are all usefull! And even late in the game units with strengh 3 still are being used; its not like vanilla, if youre a few ages ahead your units will have 3x the strenght; small nations are still fighting.

The different farms cottages for undead and others are cool :) What about making frostlings able to build their stuff on snow, merfolk units really amphibious, even if more expensive or weaker, etc?

Chalid designed the way the cities and improvements switch when you change religions, its awesome. The frostlings and merfolk arent making it into phase 2, but we are definitly working to make the civs we do have more distinct than they are in phase 1.

Im playing with kenan, org/arc. What arcane does? That spell extention, what does that change, it gives more speed for my fireballs?

Oh and city state is useless :(

Extension increases the range of your spells. So if a unit has Extension I his fireballs, demons, etc can all travel 1 tile further, etc. Arcane makes your units start with combat I (I think, thats been changed in phase 2).

Will be very grateful if somebody told me why my game crash when i try to run the game with lock modified assets?? btw great mod feels like all the pieces are comming together nicely now.

Chalid said:

I can't follow this link, I get a "you dont have permission" type message from the forum. guess i'm just not cool enough. :sad: I've been upset with the naval aspect of CIV since the begining, I'f be very intrested to see what's being done to make it better.
I'm a big advocate of implementing a blockade system, similar to that in Rome: Total War

Good Sauce said:
I can't follow this link, I get a "you dont have permission" type message from the forum. guess i'm just not cool enough. :sad: I've been upset with the naval aspect of CIV since the begining, I'f be very intrested to see what's being done to make it better.
I'm a big advocate of implementing a blockade system, similar to that in Rome: Total War

Its a picture of one of the units Chalid made for phase 2, the Kraken.

Hi Kael,

Ive just upgraded from your very first version to version 1.00, and it looks great, but theres so many new buildings / civics / new victory condition, etc, that arent really explained in the civipedia (ie what is a religious victory?). It would be great if someone could make a manual for this mod and explain the many many differences in this mod. For example, I saw a temple, when I looked it up in civipedia I was just left confused...

Also, noticed that the combat odds no longer show the modifiers (ie 50% forrest defence, +10% strength, etc). Is this intended behaviour. Obviously it makes no difference to the game mechanics, but Id be good to see, especially as there are probably many new modifiers which Im not aware of.

Anyway, fantastic work here, keep it up!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!! psst... im the white guy! :goodjob:

argh! how do i get my pic to show up? i want to show off some more today...

I got a Great Commander which lets me build a Command Post, so I did. Fully functional Command Post giving XPs to units built in that city. Unfortunately, I hadn't discovered Religious Laws at that point.

darkonion said:
argh! how do i get my pic to show up? i want to show off some more today...
You either need to attach the image to the post (Manage Attachements button below the post form), or you need to upload the image somewhere (like ImageShack or PhotoBucket) and then you can use the IMG tag.

Top Bottom