1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Realism:The Third Resurrection

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect_Blue

Perfect_Blue Yume Senshi

"Potatoes originated in the Andes mountains of Peru and Bolivia and have been cultivated for at least 2400 years."

Peru has literally hundreds of varieties of potatoes. This makes sense to me.

As for sheep, again I agree. Sheep really aren't so big in N. America. Not nearly so much as cows and pigs. The south, the Andean mountains, goatherds and the like...that makes sense, imho.

As for pigs, I think pigs were more European, Asian, and I think N. African.

Basically, North America didn't have a lot of those resources, until they were brought over at one point or another. So are we going off what was in North America, or what was brought? It's like wheat. Wheat was brought over by the English, I believe, but now its a fairly major crop.

2. cha dawn

cha dawn Warlord

I have to start a new game , the mod looks great !
    What are the values of a cultural victory ?

3. acantoni

acantoni Chieftain

Great work !

Howewer here are two remark :

1) The terra map you provided is huge...
    So huge it is so slow to become annoying after a while (when it doesn't crash... sometime it did and it took over 400 MB of ram to load (i have 1gb))

Please consider use another world template map and then modify it possibly considering not anyone has a x2 4800 with 2 gb of ram......

For instance the 100x56 for 18 civs worldmap attached here ( i downloaded it from civfanatics.. don't recall who made it however is a great map) can be used as a template for your modification... it runs very smoothly !

2) Consider putting other speed.
    I understand the REALISTIC is what this mod is meant to, however especially to test the game would be better to have the option to select other speed aswell.

Now i know anyone can do this editing the Civ4gamespeed though it would be better to have it from the start as an option ^_^

Thank you and keep up the good work!!

Attached Files:

4. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Ok guys, I was just reading the last 4 pages to see if I have missed something.

- @Jeff City range is already changed back to 2 instead of 3 as you know

- @TOV Universal Sufferage will change in the next version

- @TOV Cottages are back to Pottery again. I am looking for a way to make them more food expensive while developing and getting bigger. Because because who live there dont only provide gold but also need food.

- @Israfil, I will think about drilling the Units in the Barracks idea. Maybe they could get as high as the highest unit in the city (as a teacher). Or maybe the exprience should be limited to 3 points. Otherwise the defensive units with baracks will become terminators .

- @Israfil and @Blue, PLease check if the inquisition works this time.

- @Oettinger77 Domestic Advisor is already implemented by my forerunners. Why is there another suggestion for doing that? Am I missing something?

- @ AvianAvenger I agree Australia should get a bit more resources. But I need to check what was there originally and not what came later into that country. And the animals really go distinct. In the beginning there are many animals there, after a while they get killed all over the map and they are distinct. ;) Only the resource Animals stay forever. And as already mentioned there are Natives in Australia. Check the map...

@Nightravn I had already taken your modified mao and applied the 1.4.1 changes to it. So I am wondrering you have applied them again, unless these are new changes. I din't have time to check it yet.

Regarding your point that USA has now everything. Well all the countries have nowadays everything. Show me a country that doesnt have meat or Lemon or Spice? ;)

Our philosophy is different here. Only resources that existed there naturally are being considered. Potatos were indeed coming from South America (Peru) etc. Lemons are coming from Persia, Greece and Rome. etc. This system has the advantage that Civs have to trade with each other. Wars are more aweful since you loose a trade route. Sanctions can truly hurt. If we provide each country with most resources, this effect will be gone. We got now 8 new resources to use them wisely. ;)

@cha dawn - There is no fix value for culture vixtory stored in the map file.

@acantoni - I have a P4-1700 with only 1 GIG of Ram and it works fine. It is important to have two different versions of WindowsXP installed. One for testing and installing crap the other minimalist clean only included drivers for the Games. This way you have more free Ram. Besides after you have loaded the Game, Switch back to Windows (ALT+TAB) press ALT+DELETE+CTRL and click on processes. Then look for "explorer" and click then on end process. Thereafter the screen is empty (just blue) now close the Task Manager as well and switch back to game with ALT+TAB. This way you get another 25mb free RAM. There is also a script that closes all the services that might be helpful. I am still testing it.

I just came back and had no time to check the wonder movies. Can anyone else confirm that they are definitely not working?

Thanks
    Houman

5. Wheedz

Wheedz Chieftain

yup wonder movies not working here also,
    built both stonehenge and pyramids with aztecs
    it just jumps straight to the next item for building...

6. ToV

ToV Warlord

There is a way to have improvements have negative food. (It is done with workshops). Simply have towns and villages have negative food values. I simply suggest you do not go overboard with them, though. (Just a warning)

7. Nightravn

Nightravn Warlord

Houman and Blue- Thanks for clearing that up. I was not aware that S. America had potatoes. I do agree with your thought process and do like it. I was just questioning those resources in S. America but not North. What about pigs are they also native to Central and South America?

One suggestion I have is to put cows in the plain area of N/ America to simulate Bison and then to represent actual cattle that is abundent in the America's.

As for the new map I did make a few more changes like moving the oil in central US up to Canada, changes to the Hawwiian Islands and such. Now I think I am going to had A couple of Cow resources to the plains and Candada should have some gems as there are lots of Diamonds up there. so take a look at it and tell me what you think.

I have been playing it now all day and again I have killed off the Aztec and am consolidating North and Central America. I have found a Bug in that everyone seems to have access to the Immortal UU and another thing is once I killed off the Barbarians that were already placed and the ones in the cities there haven't been any more to spawn even though most of the northern part on Canada and Alaska is in the Fog of War. I also have not had any wonder movies though I did get the religon ones.

8. AvianAvenger

AvianAvenger Warlord

Hmm, really ... they didn't show up on mine when i was snooping around in world builder.. i figured some would probley spawn there anyway latter on so didn't bother me.

I was just throwing idea's around, like some kind of online brainstorming thing. i was pretty tired also & not really thinking too hard about what i was saying:crazyeye: . Ever feel like a drunk who's just realised his not in the mens? :lol:.
    If you REALLY dont want to add any introduced resources then we only have these as our natural resources,
    Or you could, take out a few of the mined resources, im going from memory here but i think you had double of quite a few resources & add one lot of cows & sheep. I know there an introduced species but it seems kind of odd not having them there when they are our main exports. There is not so much mining going on here, there is more farming, cattle / crop & so on.. from what i've seen.

If you want a full listing of natural resources for a ****e load of countries(possibly all) go to this link. - it looked pretty good to me.
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2111.html

9. Oettinger77

Oettinger77 Chieftain

10. Crazy_Ivan80

Crazy_Ivan80 Chieftain

Mmh, I wouldn't do that to be honest.
    The cottages, as I see it, are small villages on the outskirts of the cities. These small villages, besides they small market they also are (i.e. the gold), also grow food (i.e. no reduction in food on the tile).

The small towns in Mesopotamia produced food, the Roman vici produced their own food, medieval villages produced their own food... It's only in recent times (post WW2 even, I'd say) that periferal villages have changed into suburbs (sometimes) which no longer produce their own food. In all previous ages food producted remained one of the most important, if not the most important, economic activity of such places (logical even if you consider that massive urbanisation is on average 100 years old)

So I wouldn't change the food-related stats of cottages.

And what's up with the happy new year thing? I've heard it on our radio here too today but missed what group it belongs to? Western and Chinese are already over. Which one isn't? (honest question)

11. Perfect_Blue

Perfect_Blue Yume Senshi

About the wonder movies, weren't they turned off purposefully? I always getting skipping, crappy movies that cause crashes. For my part, keep those movies out. Go through vanilla; you've seen it once, you've seen it the other 10,000 times it'll end up getting built. Besides, its not the movie that matters, its the bonuses :)

12. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@Nightravn,

The idea of having Cows in North America could be justified by the former Bisons. Well lets assume the whiteman didn't hunt them to distinction. ;)
    If I had time I could make a Bison resource instead. But I don't...

I tried to open your map this morning. It doesn't work.
    If you want to edit a map you should be careful, there are some rules.
    - First: You have to have the Realism Mod loaded.
    In the last update, where you took care of the floodplains in n. America. For some reason all the Native Archers and Native Warriors were replaced by common Archer and Warriors. I suppose you have forgotton to load the Realism Mod. Now I am afraid that all the new resources would have been gone too. Are the new resources still on the map?
    - Second: You have to start the Map as Egyptions. Since they are the only one that start as first the game, when no settler has yet build a city.
    - Third: Take always the latest map. I have uploaded a newer map on the frontpage. Do not use the faulty one that comes with the main download. ;)

And you should not forget, the more resources you put in the area of your civilization, the easier the game will be for you to play. The easier it becomes the less challenging and boring it becomes. Sometimes less is more, if you know what I mean. I think for example that middle americans have lots of gold and silver. Like in real the Whiteman didn't get satisfied by just colonizing the east coast but broke the treaties with the Indians and pushed them back to get the gold from the west coast, particulary from the Black Mountains.

Before that time the Spanish have conquered the Incan and Aztencs and plundered their gold and silver.

My point is you could trade this resources against other goods from Europe. (Since I haven't played the game yet in real, the question might sound weird, can you actually trade gold and silver like fur and cotton or do they only increase your commerce?)

I am actually thinking to erase the horse resources in whole America. Horses where imported from Europe. That will have some challanges for the American players too. Neither of the American players can obtain the Horse units in the early game unless they manage to build a ship and go to europe to trade it. I could give the English more horses than they need, so that would be willing to trade them with Americans. The route to greenland to Europe should be possible to be crossed by a galley....or someone just goes as first to the southern part of Africa is still because of too many Barbarians and Animals protected from Mali and Egyptians. There you could get your own horses and ship them through the ports back to your harbor in north or south America. :) what do you think about this idea?

@Avian
    No problem, I will add more natural resources to Australia. Also animals may be possible if you bring the proof that they were there before. And don't try to sell Cangoorus as Cows, like Nightravn did with Bisons/Cows. ;) Sheeps are imported!! baeh!

Could you please check these nasty CIA site and tell me which natural resources that occur also in the game would be in Australia? That would make it easier and faster for the next release. Thanks

@Oettinger77
    Point taken, I will add it to the next version.

@Ivan @TOV

You are right. Maybe I could make them using food after they became sub-urbs in late game? That would make sense. What do you think?

13. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@Ivan

Regarding the Happy New year, yup mate! the Western and Chinese is over! ;)
    It is the Iranian and former Iranian countries that still celebrate this event since 7000 years back since Mithraism. This event is not being celebrated by the Arabs and the Turks. The countries that still celebrate Nowruz are the Kurdish people from Turkey and from Irak, whole Iran, whole Azerbaijan, whole Tajikestan, whole Kyrgyzstan and Persian speaking parts of Uzbikistan and Afghanistan, parts of Georgia and parts of India.

BTW do you see the black guy? (on the egg) He is our "Santa Claus". Sweet what? hehe No one really knows from a historical point of view why our Nowruz man is a black guy. I love it!!!

Happy Nowruz! :)

14. Rock711

Rock711 Chieftain

Have been playing SEVOMOD for last 20 games. Just downloaded your mod an I am playing my second game. Great now its worth building those early units & upgrading them, number of turns is great! Thanks for all your hard work.

15. Orion66

Orion66 Master of Orion

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SALTPETER!!!!!!!!!!!

ARHG!!! The same bug as was in Total Experience Mod!!
    I had 4 saltpeters for 9 civs! It is sick!!!

I had to stop playing ! Damn....
    What is the point to have only 4 saltpeters for 9 civics? The AI is too weak to resist modern units like Grenadiers..... No reason to continue playing.

Please fix this.

16. Perfect_Blue

Perfect_Blue Yume Senshi

Nice pics Houman. Got me all in the spirit; what spirit I'm not sure... :satan:

17. purger30

purger30 Chieftain

Houman what is with wonder movies? Did you figured that out?

18. Nightravn

Nightravn Warlord

Houman- Yeah the America's should not have any horses and I'm not sure they do now. If the do then they are in S. America. I totally understand about not making it too easy for the American especially since they have allot of room. Just looking for that realism vibe and not having some of the resources just doesn't jive with me.

Well I did have the Mod up when I modified the map but then I ran it through the map Editor YAME and I think that is where the problem happened. It's ok as I have added the cow/bison and some gems in Canada and will post the map later today when I get home from work.

As for going by Galley to Europe that is not possible now and I am not sure that it should. I think that would make it to easy for the American's. One Issue I do have is that the Ice growth seems to be a little to quick as by the time I get Caravels I can not get around the southern tip of S. America or through the northern areas of Eurasia. I am not sure if this is by design or not but we should be able to at least go around the Southern Tip of S. America. I did clean up the coastal areas around the Bering Strait so that area is navigable by Galley but have yet to see any AI go that way. Japan makes contact with Caravels.

Just a couple quick notes on bugs. First the Immortal UU was available to me and the other civs in the America's. Also The Aztec's was building Native Archers instead of regular ones. Once I got to Feudalism I am able to build the Maceman with out the need for the Armory. When does that building come into play?

The lack of Barbarian to continue to spawn in FoW is making this game a breeze. I don't know what you did but whatever it was changed the Barbarians for the worse. Now the previous map it was just the opposite in that the Barbarians were coming left and right. I was even attacked by some War Elephants, which I think was a little much and is there a way to stop that from happening? Can we stop the barbarian from having units that there are no local resources for. It kinda sucks to be attack by Elephants and Horse Archers when I don't get to have them......:mad:

Anyways thats enough jabbering for now and BTW the Word you mean when you say distinction is Extinction. No offense meant as I know English is not your Native tongue, just trying to help a brudda out.... ;)

P.S. Houman have you checked out the Ultimate Strategy Mod. It is a good one with allot of good Ideas. The Tech Trading modification is definitely one we need to look into implementing in this one.

19. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@Rock711 I am glad you like it. :)

@Orion66 We have a saying in Germany "Ruhig Blut". It means "Slow paced blood". Dude, calm down. hehe :D First of all, 1) have you rplaved a generated Map? 2) Have you played the Worldmap? If 2) then I have placed enough Saltpeter for all CIVs. If 1) I know the generator needs improvement. But I am at this time 1 man team. We need someone who could take care of the generator guys!! Any voluntiers?

@Blue, What is this spirit telling you? ;)

@Purger, not yet mate. I am in the office and my VNC connection to home is cut down. I will have a look tonight.

@Israfil
    We really need to set a team on this project. I would appreciate if you could join me in this holy task. ;) We need XML freaks like myself buy especcially Python nerds, a bit of simple skinning abilities-junkies and if available 3dStudio gods.

Who can contribute to the team?
    Thanks
    Houman

20. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

@Nightraven,

I meant extinction and not distinction. :blush: You should know English is my third language.

Back to YAME, yeah YAME or Mapview none of them support additional resources. Thats why, it might be that your last update on which I built my update, might have killed all the resources. I assume all the barbarian AI updates might have been ironed out by YAME as well. :(

You cannot use any editor but the worldbuilder I am afraid all your recent updates have to be done again from the Map I had provided in the Beta. :mischief:

The Ice growing thingy is not meant to be. We have to address this issue.
    The Immortal is not meant to be for everyone. I ll fix it tonight.
    The Armory has not being inplemented yet. It needs more plans, since it could make trouble with game balancing. I have to see...

I am planing to implement the
    - Updated Domestic Advisor
    - Optional Regiment Mod
    - Great People's Pictures or so

Will have a look into "Ultimate Strategy Mod".

We need more people though. I don't have the time to work 24/7 on this mod like before. I need to find a new job too. :D

Cheers
    Bro Houman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.