• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[mod] Warlords: Total Realism Gold

@Walter,

It is my fault, i should have added you and Simon in the official website.

By the way we are reading here everything. But it doesn't mean that we also reply. ;)

It is just a time issue guys. We have plenty of ideas waiting and it is not easy to integrate everyones ideas in the mod.

But I think regarding the Muslim Religion, some more tunings can be good. I will see what can be done...

By the way, if we have any Jews here, any idea how to improve the Jewish Spy? Since we have the informant implemented this unit has become a bit useless...So its open for debate and ideas...

Regards
Houman

Come on guys! I will all buy you drinks! At summer just notice me that you are coming and I will make you worth your time!

To the consumption of alcohol:

It is not strictly forbidden to consume alcohol but only to pray when drunk. As a matter of fact, I strongly suggested before to add TAVERN and BARLEY to the mod because of that. Beer was never a restriction for islamic civs. But in history WINE was. not anymore but WAS...

Let the Power of Beer flow through your veins...

Khhh khhh khhh!!!
"I am your malt-father"

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :)

Come on guys! I will all buy you drinks! At summer just notice me that you are coming and I will make you worth your time!

To the consumption of alcohol:

It is not strictly forbidden to consume alcohol but only to pray when drunk. As a matter of fact, I strongly suggested before to add TAVERN and BARLEY to the mod because of that. Beer was never a restriction for islamic civs. But in history WINE was. not anymore but WAS...

Let the Power of Beer flow through your veins...

Khhh khhh khhh!!!
"I am your malt-father"

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :)

I like your Power of Beer ! :D
And drinking a beer in Istanbul while visiting Hagia Sophia, Topkapi, the Theodosian Wall and some of the greatest mosque is quite a good idea....;)

@ ALL

I just want to note that when we are trying to speak and exchange ideas about religions and/or politics, it always become a bit "hard". Staying as cool as possible: here is what i suggest.
BTW, Houman is right. Religions and most of all Islam and Judaism had to be tuned a bit. How, When, Why,.....we can't give you an answer yet. We are reading your posts, we have our own opinion, we try to make thing close to realism AND balanced.

Hian the Frog.

Sufis have their own approach to drugs. May that be drink or smoke.
IBN AL-FARID
( gest.632 / 1235)
"Es freut sich nicht des Lebens in dieser Welt, wer nüchtern lebt,
Und wer nicht stirbt am Rausch von ihm, entgangen ist die Klugheit ihm.
Sich selbst beweine jeder, der sein Leben hat verschwendet,
Und nichts von diesem Weine war sein Anteil und sein Los."

Wikpedia writes:
Ibn al-Farid's two masterpieces are The Wine Ode, a beautiful meditation on the "wine" of divine bliss, and The Poem of the Sufi Way, a profound exploration of spiritual experience along the Sufi Path and perhaps the longest mystical poem composed in Arabic. Both poems have inspired in-depth spiritual commentaries throughout the centuries, and they are still reverently memorized by Sufis and other devout Muslims today.

I read some of his Wine Ode and he is -in my opinion- writing about the benefits of intoxication. Spiritual, alcoholic or otherwise.

Eating swine may cause unhappiness to the devout muslim, if he was forced by some unlucky situation to consume it. But it does not have the same effect on his neighbour. Even if islam would be the state religion, it should not cause unhappiness if swine meat was available for consumation for the christian, or jewish part of the populace.
The same applies to wine or hemp.
The fact that hemp is illegal in most countries does not cause unhappiness just because it is available at every corner. Am I making sense here? :D
A muslim colleaque of mine enjoyed a beer or two after work. On my question he answered, smiling: "Allah is not watching right now."

I am muslim too
and I drink beer every weekend...

Sufi were presecuted.
Sunni and Shia are more what matters (biggest parts of Islam).

God in his wisdom has chosen to protect them from the wrath of smaller spirits. There are places where anyone can go and seek to be enlightened by their teachings. I know of a place in europe where I may visit them one day should I feel the urge to leave this materialistic society behind for some time. But...no more computer games? I am not ready yet.:blush:

I had an idea for the mod. I was thinking about the 2050 end game date and how it doesn't seem as far away as it did in 1990 when Civ came out. (If I got the date wrong don't jump all over me.) Perhaps it's time to push it out to 2090 or something that still seems out in the near sci-fi future. Of course, there would be the need for some new implementation of those techs and inventions and units that are just over the horizon (ie. nanotech stuff, vehicles with new power sources, possible energy weapons). I don't think this goes beyond the TR theme, just extends it to where it might be in a few decades.

I had an idea for the mod. I was thinking about the 2050 end game date and how it doesn't seem as far away as it did in 1990 when Civ came out. (If I got the date wrong don't jump all over me.) Perhaps it's time to push it out to 2090 or something that still seems out in the near sci-fi future. Of course, there would be the need for some new implementation of those techs and inventions and units that are just over the horizon (ie. nanotech stuff, vehicles with new power sources, possible energy weapons). I don't think this goes beyond the TR theme, just extends it to where it might be in a few decades.

Those ideas kinda makes you think if Sid Meiers is appling those to civ 5

I had an idea for the mod. I was thinking about the 2050 end game date and how it doesn't seem as far away as it did in 1990 when Civ came out.

:) I was thinking that, too. Maybe in Civ 5 they should just make the end game date 3000AD. Nice round number. Lot's of room for future techs. One of the victory conditions could be not to colonize Alpha Centauri, but to colonize 10 planets. (Sort of like building 10 space-ship parts, but instead of that you build 10 space ships!).

Edit: sorry this was a little off-topic. As for The TR mod, I'm sure you guys have a reason for keeping it at 2050AD.

IMO We cannot make game go beyond present. Thats whey we turned off the "year clock". So in TR there is no 2050ad, its just turn:850 (if i remember correctly).
Besides, energy wepaons, nanotechnology, why that ? Why not just make cold-fusion, endless source of energy when we allready got the Theory of it. Things like nanotechnology (meaning augmentations like in DeusEx) can never actually exist, so putting them in TR would go against our intentions as well as name of the mod.

" That post directly after mine is... Wow. I'm part of TR team, you know. "

Sorry! I didnt know who was on the team and who was not, I just wanted to pass on my congrats on the effort.

One question: is the AI smarter somehow in this mod? It might be my imagination, but I used to win about 50/50 of my games on Prince. Now, im getting smacked, and the AI is taking advantage of unguarded borders / workers to wreak havoc... if so, even more kudos on the AI upgrade, because ive tried three prince games and been beat down three times. :)

-John

IMO We cannot make game go beyond present. Thats whey we turned off the "year clock". So in TR there is no 2050ad, its just turn:850 (if i remember correctly).
Besides, energy wepaons, nanotechnology, why that ? Why not just make cold-fusion, endless source of energy when we allready got the Theory of it. Things like nanotechnology (meaning augmentations like in DeusEx) can never actually exist, so putting them in TR would go against our intentions as well as name of the mod.

How could nano technology not exsist when we use it today. I believe the first company to use nano tech was Docker pants, with there never able to have stains pants.

" That post directly after mine is... Wow. I'm part of TR team, you know. "

Sorry! I didnt know who was on the team and who was not, I just wanted to pass on my congrats on the effort.

One question: is the AI smarter somehow in this mod? It might be my imagination, but I used to win about 50/50 of my games on Prince. Now, im getting smacked, and the AI is taking advantage of unguarded borders / workers to wreak havoc... if so, even more kudos on the AI upgrade, because ive tried three prince games and been beat down three times. :)

-John

Yes, AI is smarter - but this is not our achievement. It's Blake's Better AI mod that we have integrated. It's still not without peculiarities, but it is generally better than vanilla AI. Expect the difference to be about one difficulty level.

How could nano technology not exsist when we use it today. I believe the first company to use nano tech was Docker pants, with there never able to have stains pants.

It's not exactly nanotechnology - they just use this as a catchphrase. Nanotechnology is about assembling working nanomachines - mechanical contraptions of molecular scale. It will eventually happen (I'd give it a decade or so), but it's very hard to guess what will be the exact effects of applied nanotchnology - from "wonder drugs" to deadliest weaponry to just another pizza heater. That's the main reason we try not to stray too far into future - it's more or less unpredictable, and we don't want to speculate.

Let these people speak for me:

"The telephone has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." (Western Union internal memo, 1876)

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." (Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895)

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." (Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French commander of Allied forces during the closing months of World War I, 1918)

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" (David Sarnoff's associates, in response to his urgings for investment in radio in the 1920's)

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" (Harry M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943)

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home." (Ken Olsen, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977)

And to conclude:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." (Charles H. Duell, commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899)

Yeah Walter,

Nice quotes ! A good sum-up of some human precoinceved ideas !

I also add this: it is TOTAL REALISM mod. Realism is the important word there. We don't know what will be our future, and it's a good thing.

Hian the Frog

Top Bottom