1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MODCOMP] New Profession: Inventor w/ TechTree

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Kailric, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

No, it isn't, but it could be added in.

I could make them consume a maximum amount of silver per turn. For example, say you only want it to consume 3 silver per turn, then it could be done so that it will only eliminate a maximum of 3 silver per turn and increase the proportional gold.

I might be able to make it require a worker to be in the building to convert to money; I suppose that would be better.

I like the idea of only being able to send criminals to work on the Mint; after the revolution, it could be made so any unit could work there.

:) tell me later if they helped.

2. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

Thanks KJ and Androroc for your help on this. I'll look over your Tech tree suggestions KJ and give some feedback a little later on. I been stumped on a bug for a while and just now figued it out and in need of a break:(

Also, I was thinking on like when you finish researching everything what will your Inventors work on next? We could add in FF point research much like you can Produce FF points. Maybe you can turn things like Tools into Gold where you basicily sell them for a higher profit then selling them in Europe, or Silver into Coins:)

3. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Wow! this is impressive

4. Rothos

Rothos Chieftain

Just a quick question, how do I install it? Do I drop it in the MODS folder or the base folder?

5. Kailric

You try the Mod Folder, its suppose to go there :)

6. Kailric

Well, I got some coding done, thanks to Aymerick's Multiple Yields used mode I was able to make it so that Technologys can require multiple yields. I need to finish up the coding and merge in Androrc's SDK changes and I'll have another update ready.

I also been studying some history to find of good techs between the years 1450 and 1800. Here is a list of items I found, possible uses in game, and their dates either invented, discovered, or put to practical use:

NATIVE
    Flora
    Fauna
    Tobacco
    Maize(Corn)
    Potatoe
    Medicine
    Fishing
    Relations
    Spirit

CIVICS
    Bookkeeping - 1494
    Postal Service -
    Free Market - 1776
    Nationalism
    Natural Law
    Democracy
    Encomienda
    Plantation
    Mint (Currency)

TRADE

Watch - 1504 could add production
    Carrier Pigeons - 1572
    Porcelain - 1575
    Coal 1593 - used in place of wood
    Stage Coach - 1640 +movement to roads
    IronWorks - 1648
    Rum - 1650 +allows Rum
    Whaling - 1665 + allows the whaling mod
    Stock Exchange - 1698
    Champagne - 1698
    News Paper - 1702 +allows newspaper
    Shipping - 1708 United East Indian Company formed
    Postal Service - 1732 refined by Benjamin Franklin
    Cartography

INVENTIONS

Carvel Frame - 1400s leads to Caravel and Carrack
    Printing Press - 1454
    Paper Mill - 1494
    Galleon - 1500s
    Metallurgy - 1540
    Telescope - 1608 +1 sight to units
    Steam Engine - 1628
    Pendulum Clock - 1656
    Chronometer - 1736 helps navigation
    Sextant 1757 - helps navigation

SCIENCE

Medicine
    Anesthetics - 1500s
    Surgery - 1500s with lots of improvements and discoverys to be
    Microscope - 1590
    Citrus Fruits - 1611
    Forceps - 1630
    Tourniquet - 1674
    Pharmacy - 1700s
    Vaccination - 1796

Physics
    Heliocentry Theory
    Gravitation
    Magnatism
    Mechanics

Chemistry
    Metallurgy

MILITARY

Militia
    Infantry Drill
    Letters of Marque - allows Privateers
    Matchlock Musket - 1500s
    Pikeman - 1500s
    Carabine - 1500s
    Cuirassier -1500s
    Bayonet - late 1500s
    Ironclad - 1596 first one built in Korea
    Flintlock - 1650+
    Submarine - 1775

Edit: In this list I wanted to a more "personal" level, where the techs are more specific, as compared to Civ4 where the techs are moreof a broad sense.

7. Kailric

Just uploaded the lastest Version for testing. I tried to add an example of each of the xml tags being used in the game.

v0.6
    -Added Aymerics MultiYield Consumed Mod
    -Techs can now take multiple Yields (Haven't tested for non cargo Yields)
    -Added another Category to the Tech Tree called Trade
    Note: the Tech tree is not filled in and the techs I have are for examples for modders to go by
    -Added several new Tags explained below

8. Kailric

I am going to be working on a new Technology screen but in the mean time if you have a lot of techs that need displayed on the screen you can open the CvTechnology.py file and go to the varable "self.ICON_BUTTON_SIZE" and change the code to look like this:

Code:
    local_button_mod = gc.getNumCivicInfos()
    if ((gc.getNumCivicInfos() - 5) > 75):
                 local_button_mod = 75

self.ICON_BUTTON_SIZE = self.YResolution / (13 + ((local_button_mod - 5) / 5))
    This will make it so that with every 5 new techs you add the icons get smaller up to the maximum set in "local_button_mod" varable.

EDIT: If you come up with a good tech tree post the upload here and I'll add it to the first page so others can check it out.

9. Androrc the Orc

Are you planning on making lots of categories with few technologies (5-7 technologies per category) appear well too?

10. Kailric

Well a lot of categorys right now will start to run into the Magnifying glass so to compensate you need to change this varable in the CvTechnology.py:

Code:
    self.XUnknownCATEGORY = (self.XResolution / [B][COLOR="Red"]4[/COLOR][/B]) / 2 
    Adjust the "4" to a higher number will cause the Categorys to start further to the Left.

I am planning on making a new Tech screen that scrolls like the FF screen. I could have tabs like that screen for each individual Category or put all the techs on one screen running Horizontal and the more you add the screen just scrolls on.

Speaking of the FF categorys... it would be cool if we can add as many tech Categorys as there are FF categorys. Change "Exploration" to "Discoveries" and that would inculde "Inventions".

Just need to find Techs for "Religion" that may be hard. Politics not so hard, or the title can be changed to Civics.

11. Kailric

Well I am slowly putting together a new Technology screen and have some pics. When you say "a lot" of categories just how many are you talking about? I am trying to decide just which way to make the screen.

If the first pic I just stacked them Horizontally across the screen. This way you will have lots of room for adding new techs. If two or more techs require the same previous tech they will stack above/below each other as shown in the pic. This way will be the easiest to code.

I am still trying to figure just what all is going on in python but I managed to tinker around with the Founding Fathers screen and make it show some Techs instead. The top tech in the Pic(A) is what I can show now, the bottom Tech(B) is what I would like it to look like with more Icons instead of text. It would be more like Civ4 Tech Tree. I could make each category have its own Tab like the FF's do.

I don't know how long it will take to get it all done like I want in the above pic so If you guys need me to change the Tech Screen to run Horizontal like in the first pic to allow for more techs then let me know, k.

12. Androrc the Orc

I'm using 26 at the moment for SoI. It's no big deal though, if only few categories can be shown, then I can put subcategory identifiers in the technology's text.

I like the first tech screen more, as it's more distinctive; not using the same layout as the founding father screen makes it have it's own "feel".

13. Kailric

26 categorys? Wow, thats alot. Yeah, I may just go with that layout execpt add more information about the techs and have the screen scroll if there is a lot of techs. There really needs to be more information, though, about the techs shown so you don't have to mouse over each one.

14. Kailric

Here is some new Individual Tech Panel I come up with. They are actual in game screen shots. I haven't decided just how to display each "Tech Panel" though. The one larger Panel may take up to much room but shows all the major information just at a glance which is nice. The smaller Panel is more like the CIV4 style and it just shows the requirements on the right side. In the smaller one I could make the Tech Icon smaller and below it have icons listed for what the tech offers. Thats exactly what CIV4 does.

I could then just use the Larger Panel to display current research and turns to complete and such. What you think?

Large Panel:

Smaller Panel:

Edit: Just for note, I plan on making the Tech screen where you can scroll it Horizontal and Vertical so you basiclly can add as many techs as you want. Also I'll look into makeing it so you can adjust the X, Y coordinates of the Techs location in XML like you can in Civ4.

Edit: I'll post a new Update in a day or two probably. I'll have the new Technology Screen up and running and have a few more XML tags namely:

RequiredInventionOr - use this when you want more than one way to have access to a new tech

AllowsImprovementsinTerrain - Allows Improvements to be built in the terrain. If no terrains are listed then it simply allows the Improvement or disallows it

X_Location -
    Y_Location - These are the X and Y locations of where the Tech Appears in the Technology Advisor Screen

Attached Files:

15. Kailric

K, just uploaded next version for testing. See the first page for details.

Changes I have planned for next update:

-Tech Screen will display Turns to Complete
    -I hope to make it so you can select any tech and you will start to reseach all the other required techs in order
    -I will add an option to disable the auto placement of techs and inable the X and Y tags in XML to display your texts this way instead
    - I also plan to add a feature to Hide Techs you can not research as to add to the feel of the Unknown
    - I plan to fill out the tech tree lots more

16. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

It's better and better Kailric! I really like the layout of the new tech tree screen, especially that it displays all the needed info on mouseover.

Using "Catalogued" would sound a bit odd in English, you could change it to "Completed" or even better just show the completed tech text in green. Could you make the icon for each individual tech itself show a little bigger, like in your post above?

Here are a couple more ideas for some handy XML tags:

Civ4TraitInfos.xml:
    <ResearchModifiers><ResearchCategory><iCost>
    Gives -<iCost>% to research costs for techs from a given <Researchcategory>. (Would allow traits/techs/FFs to grant a bonus to only miltary research, etc.)

Gameinfo\CIV4HandicapInfo.xml:
    <iHumanResearchModifier> and <iAIResearchModifier>
    Adjusts the cost of all tech research by x% for Human and AI players respectively. Then difficulty levels could be adjusted to help the AI if it turns out to have a hard time making techs.

17. Kailric

Thanks, yeah its looking good. I didn't know I'd be able to do as much. Anyway, well I used the word "Catalogued" cause back in the Colonial time thats a word Researchers would use a lot when they Cataloged all their new findings, so I thought it fitting. It can be changed easily in the XML though.

Yeah, changing the text color would be a good idea. The Icon Size can be easily ajusted in Python just open the CvTechnologyAdvisor.py and edit the "self.ICON_BUTTON_SIZE = self.YResolution / 30" to a lower number(the number in red). Your whole screen should adjust accordingly.

Thats a good idea on the mod to research catagory. I'll add that in at some point. As soon as I get the Player side of the Research Tree and all where I want it I'll start working on getting the AI up to date with research. I want to add the ability to trade techs or giving the AI techs will basicly go unnoticed.

Thanks for your Input.

~Cheers

18. Kailric

Version 0.8 is up for download:

v0.8
    -Techs Now show turns to complete
    - AI Techs is here! They will research Techs and you can trade techs now. Indians start with all the Native techs and you have to befriend them to purchase techs from them. AI will sometimes try to make Tech deals with you.
    - several minor tweaks

19. Kailric

There is currently a bug that want let Tech Yields be consumed because of when I merged some files I left out some code. I'll have this fix in the next update.

Also in the Next update I am adding a new item to Trade Screen called "Research Pact". With this deal you and your partner share Research gathered on a project thus decreasing the time it takes to research. :goodjob:

EDIT: The above bug is fixed and version 0.9 is up for Download

20. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

That's really awesome Kailric! :goodjob:. This is getting to be the most impressive modcomp of Colonization ever.

I've started creating a scifi techtree for use in my mod, will take awhile since I'm planning a lot of techs! :scan: I'll post it here when finished, I'm still using the XML tags from standard Colonization so others can use some of the techs if they like them. Could you include your modcomp Not Allow Specified Professions per Unit in your next version? I think that's also a great feature to have available when making techs.

BTW, I tested making a tech that consumes Bells and Crosses as yields, and it seems to convert them to Bulbs ok as long as they were being produced in the same colony as the Inventor. I think it could even work with the Education yield, that could allow cool possibilities for political or cultural kinds of techs. :king: