1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MODCOMP] New Profession: Inventor w/ TechTree

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Kailric, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

MEDICINE_TECH, MILITARY_TECH, TRADE_TECH, DISCOVERY don't have an effect. The NATIVE_TECH one does as it tells the natives that this is a free tech for them. CONTACT_YIELD_GIFT_TECH this works with the Encomianda technology, the code checks to see if the player has this tech and if so you get more frequent Gifts from the indians. My net is still down or I'd explain the XML further. They are suppose to get it fixed in the morning.

2. Kailric

Finally got Internet working again.. just uploaded v 1.1
    The changes I made in the SDK are maked with ///TK Update 1.1

v 1.1
    - Fixed a few graphical errors
    - Adjusted the tech tree somewhat
    - the Balloon unit can now move in none friendly territory
    - fixed crash bug when Canceling a Deal
    - If a Yield is not allowed and it has a profession such as Tobacco for example, if you Learn from Natives to be an Expert Tobacco planter you will automaticly learn the Tobacco Technology. This gives you several ways to learn these techs. Learn from Natives, Trading on the Trade Screen, Demanding tribute, or Researching the Tech
    - I edited the Worldbuilder.py so you can select any profession for a Unit. I would not select City professions when you have no city.. not sure of the side effects of this. I did this to make it easier for me to take screen shots of professions :)

v 1.0
    -I have added Text to the GlobalAltDefines.xml and the CIV4CivicInfos explaining what the attributes do
    -Tech Tree is vastly improved
    -Prolific Inventors are aquired from doing research. You gain Prolific Inventor experience from research. The amount can be see at the bottom of the Research Advisor Screen.
    -Industrial Victory is now available. See in game tech tree for explanation.
    -The Culverin Unit can be upgraded to a Cannon. You need to be in a city that can create Cannons. Also the Icon for upgrading units is kinda large by default, I'll fix this in an update hopefully.
    -The following FF have been adjusted to keep the Ballance between Techs and FF. Ben Franklin, Sor Juana, Alexis De Tocqueville, John Jay, John Smith
    -Balloon units are not used by the AI atm, it was causing a crash as they don't know what to do with a scout unit that isn't a Colonist

3. Kailric

A last min change resulted in a bug in the city manegment screen so I uploaded a patch to fix that.

1.1 Patch to v 1.1a
    Just unzip and place this in the Assets/XML/Buildings folder

4. Kailric

For those of you who like to use different game speeds I just uploaded a patch on the first page, Patch 1.1b, that adjusts the Mod according to the game speed set.

Patch 1.1b

5. Kailric

Just uploaded patch 1.1c. This fixes the issue where some Revolution Civics where not shown on the Revolution Advisor screen.

I also uploaded new version of the Mod:

Core Mod 1.0 Download
    This is the Core Mod for the Inventor w/Tech Tree mod meaning that it is a stripped down version for Modders. There are no extra mods, art, etc. only the basic components that make the Mod work. If you load up this mod without any changes you will be playing Vanilla Colonization and the Reasearch Advisor will show no techs. This version is to make it easier for Modders to integrate this Mod into their own projects. Then, by adding new techs you can change how the game plays.

6. EmraldOnyxx

EmraldOnyxx Chieftain

WOW!!!

Best Mod out there!

As you can see i am new here, but I wanted to let you know.......This is the best! Great work guys!

I also have a suggestion or request......

Is there anyway you can pump up certain research levels while at war? Especially Industrialization. War has brought new techs to civilizations since the beginning of time due to desperation and a common goal of each civilization. And as I assume you have noticed during your research for the time lines, most of the discoveries and inventions were made during wartime efforts.

Plus I'm sure if you think about it long enough you could find a way for it to add an entirely new dimension and strategy to the game overall. Maybe cause you to have to choose to learn the tactics more slowly .... or cause you to pick and choose your enemies a bit more carefully. (one suggestion for this application could be: during longer wars to use POWs [this would have to be created as well] for research points to a specific tech)

7. Kailric

Hey, there EmraldOnyxx, welcome to the forums and glad you like the Mod and thanks for the suggestion. I could easly add a new tag in the XML for like "WarTimeResearchMod" where you can research a tech faster when at war. And It would for sure add new strategys too. I am currently out on the road and it will be a few days before I have another update but I'll put this on the list of things to add.

8. climberjames

climberjames Chieftain

Hi - was looking forward to trying this mod out but when loading it, before the completion of the load I get an appcrash in the Cvgamecore.dll component.

This crash only happens with the 1.1c version. The barebones mod loads ok. So I am wondering what has occurred in the change between the two?

I am running patch Col on a 64b Win7 and below is the error message that I get:

It occurs after XML uncached - Font 1637s

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Colonization.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 49a88196
    Fault Module Name: CvGameCoreDLL.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4be57601
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000d61e0
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
    Locale ID: 1044
    Additional Information 1: b5bd
    Additional Information 2: b5bdc401d80a48b9afd4b902fc5eb423
    Additional Information 3: cd8a
    Additional Information 4: cd8a1067325eaf3c2a41cda35f5cb416

Any ideas please?

I have tried coping the core over the 1.1c, and also using the 1.1b version, but the error remains.

Have found that this works though: From the core mod - copy over the asset files from 1.1c + copy over the 1.1b update - mod loads and is playable. Will have to play test fully to see if anything goes screwy though.

Still, would like to figure out why it doesnt load straight from 1.1c...

9. Kailric

Hmm, not sure about this. Can anyone report that 1.1c full download works fine? Something may have gone wrong while packing it in the zip file. Soon as I get my computer set back up I'll check this out.

10. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

I've copied the DLL and python files from 1.1c for my mod and didn't get any errors like that.

One minor bug I noticed:
    when a tech allows a unitclass, the text for that sometimes shows the wrong unittype from that unitclass for that civ. (ie in my mod human civs get Scout Ship for UNITCLASS_CARAVEL and Alien civs get Saucer, but the text always displays "allows Saucer".)

11. Kailric

Ok, yeah I think I know what this is. I'll add it to the things to fix. I will hopefully have an update next week.

12. Kailric

Hey, orlanth (or someone) could you do me a favor and compile this file with the SDK and see if it fixes the bug you mentioned about the Classes being crossed up. I don't have my pc set up yet so I can't test it out.

Attached Files:

13. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

I would, but I haven't been able to figure out how to compile things correctly despite trying with tutorials :confused:. One idea I had; if it's too hard to find what causes Tinker's House to occasionally not appear, you could try a simple python workaround on cityBuilt in Cveventmanager.py that adds it whenever a city is built.

Otherwise it seems like the modcomp is working nicely and really adds a lot to the game :goodjob:. Would you be able to make it so the natives will do research too? That should make them alot more challenging, though they could get a Trait with a penalty to Ideas production to keep behind the Europeans. Another good tweak would be in the Research Completed popup, add a link there to See the Big Picture (tech screen) like in Civ4, and remove the recently completed tech from being selectable at the top of the list.

14. Kailric

Thats ok then. I have my computer set up now again so I'll compile it and see if I did it right. I can add an option in the GlobalAlt.xml to turn on research for the Natives. With the tech tree I have there are few techs that the Natives would find useful but users such as yourself could make a tech tree that the Natives would find useful so I will set an option for that.

K, I will remove the recently completed tech from being selectable. There is a "What's the Big Picture" option at the very bottom of the list of techs that you can research when you get the pop up, or its suppose to be there. I just tested it and its there for me. It takes you to the Pedia for Constitution/Techs. I plan on updating the Pedia to be more like Civ4 and that will make it a lot more useful.

Was you wanting the "Whats the big picture?" option to take you to the Research Advisor?

15. KJ Jansson

KJ Jansson Chieftain

I lost so many good news during my trips. :blush:

I plan to develop my version of the Technology Tree for "1492: Global Colonization" based on knowledge at the end of 15 century and your "stripped down version" is exactly that I need. Downloading.....

16. Books

Books Chieftain

Hey ya'll. First post and I wish it could to say how great its mod is, but I got a problem instead. I just downloaded 1.1c and now I can't find the mod folder for Civ4Col to extract to. I have Civ4Col installed by it's self. Do I need to install Civ4 to get a mod folder?

17. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

No, you just have to create the "Mods" folder under the main Civ4Col folder yourself.

18. Books

Books Chieftain

Ok, I made a mods folder in Civ4Col, but I still can't extract to it. When I try I get the following errors: Downloads\Inventor 1.1c.rar: Cannot create folder Inventor. Where should I go form here?

19. Kailric

Are you running Windows Vista? I get errors like this its because of some kind of lame security feature in windows vista. You may can try extrating the files to your desktop and then manually moving them to the mod folder. Also, you may need to right click the Mod folder and select Properties then select the Security Tab. From there hit the Edit button to edit permissions. Then check Full Control for all the "Group or User names". This allows you to move files around freely inside the Mod folder.

20. Kailric

Uploaded patch 1.1d. See changes below...

All Previous Patches to v 1.1d
    Just unzip and place this in the Mod/Inventor folder. Combines all previous patches/updates.
    Search for Update 1.1 in the SDK for Patch Changes
    Also, added two new defines to the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml
    TK_ALLOWS_NATIVES_TO_RESEARCH - set to 1 to allow Natives to research. I have not tested the effects of this. The current Tech Tree was not designed for this feature. This feature is added for modders to who create thier own Tech Trees.
    TK_NATIVES_GET_FREE_TECHS - If this is set to 1 natives get all techs that are listed as NATIVE_TECH in the CivicInfos.xml.
    -Techs that Allow certain classes should display the correct class in the Help Text.
    -The completed Research project is no longer selectable in the popup.