Modmodding Q&A Thread

That's a good question. Not having a stability map is what makes a minor civ in RFC.

I think the problem is that it doesn't fetch the 500AD data properly from C++ or Python. I think that the Babylon listing is a result of that. The game crashes before I can see the line (if it even hypothetically gives the line) or any other error.
If the game crashes before the map is even completely loaded, there is an error in your WBSave file. Did you edit it on your own without the WB?

In any case, if you have enabled logging, which you should, the errors will still be available in PythonErr.log. It will likely point to a line in WBDesc.py which is not in the mod's Assets folder but in BeyondtheSword/Assets/Python.

just wanted to make the celts into the scottish/irish
That's the same as adding an entirely new civ. I would still suggest the guide from Jarkov's Civilizations in Abundance thread in the RFC modmods section. It's a little outdated because I simplified the process a bit (by gathering all the variables you have to set in CvRhyes.cpp), but the steps are all still the same. And it's A LOT of work.

In the WB file there is the turn and the date. These two should be edited with text editor, because it is impossible to edit them through worldbuilder.

That's the same as adding an entirely new civ. I would still suggest the guide from Jarkov's Civilizations in Abundance thread in the RFC modmods section. It's a little outdated because I simplified the process a bit (by gathering all the variables you have to set in CvRhyes.cpp), but the steps are all still the same. And it's A LOT of work.

thanks a lot :) ill give it a look

I made my own altered 600AD scenario and started up a game of Brazil on Marathon. It said I had to wait for the AI to auto-play four hundred and something turns, so I waited. About 150-200 turns in, the end-game clock that appears when the end-date is looming came up. It reached zero in the Middle Ages and Kublai won the time victory (I looked in WB, he was a giant).

The only thing I've done is change the scenario around.

How do I change the Byzantine trait to give +1 gold per city in addition to the already existing bonus of espionage points???

you can give them commerce without touching the DLL, which may be close enough to what you want. this UP is actually a hidden trait, as are many SoI UPs. its called TRAIT_BYZANTINE_DIPLOMACY and its modifiers are in CIV4TraitInfos in the Civilizations XML folder.

I made my own altered 600AD scenario and started up a game of Brazil on Marathon. It said I had to wait for the AI to auto-play four hundred and something turns, so I waited. About 150-200 turns in, the end-game clock that appears when the end-date is looming came up. It reached zero in the Middle Ages and Kublai won the time victory (I looked in WB, he was a giant).

The only thing I've done is change the scenario around.
Have you enabled Egypt?

The guide is in the RFC Korea thread.
Thanks for the correction.

It sounds like the game doesn't recognize your scenario as a 600 AD scenario. It tells them apart by checking if Egypt is playable since that is only the case for the 3000 BC scenario.

In trying to make a modmodmod for a different starting year, I changed the (GameTurn=x) in the WB file, and renamed it. That's all I did. It crashes when loading the map, every time.

I did exactly the same and it worked. (SVN621) How I remove the spawning units (which should spawn later on)?

It sounds like the game doesn't recognize your scenario as a 600 AD scenario. It tells them apart by checking if Egypt is playable since that is only the case for the 3000 BC scenario.

Egypt is not playable, and I have not added it to the scenario via WB.

At least, I think. How should I check?

In trying to make a modmodmod for a different starting year, I changed the (GameTurn=x) in the WB file, and renamed it. That's all I did. It crashes when loading the map, every time.
Are there any errors in the logs?

I did exactly the same and it worked. (SVN621) How I remove the spawning units (which should spawn later on)?
The initScenario() method in RiseAndFall.py is a good starting point. It calls the respective createXXXStartingUnits methods for the current scenario, which you can modify to change the spawning units.

Egypt is not playable, and I have not added it to the scenario via WB.

At least, I think. How should I check?
Open the scenario with Notepad++, search for Egypt and see if the entry says Playable=True somewhere. It's very easy to accidentally place an Egyptian lion while using the worldbuilder.

Open the scenario with Notepad++, search for Egypt and see if the entry says Playable=True somewhere. It's very easy to accidentally place an Egyptian lion while using the worldbuilder.

It says "PlayableCiv=0." Which means that Egypt isn't actually playable, right? Or am I looking in the wrong area?

I've finished the scenario, and it doesn't crash and I can play it. However, there are a few errors that bug me. (Get it? Bug me?)

Firstly, on the choose civilizations screen, it shows that all of the civilizations start in either 1700, 600, or their actual start date. How do I get it to show the right dates?

Secondly, all of the civs start with _"Peoples" names. I'm guessing that I have to either just add some 500AD Dynamic names or code them in in either RiseandFall or DynamicCivs (or both).

Thirdly, the leaders switch around. Again, I have a feeling that I can fix that in DynamicCivs.

Lastly, and the most annoyingly, all of the civs instantly know each other, even without knowing any units or maps. Also, everyone has votes in the AP, even if they don't have any Catholic cities (China for example).

How do I fix these?

Hmm, how do I put in new soundtracks? I have the DoCsoundtracks installed but I'm not sure how to edit it... and I don't know what the base soundtracks apply to. What does "Christian" or "South Asia" mean? Are they supposed to last throughout the game?

Top Bottom