Modmods Requests Thread

Would it be possible to add an option when starting a game to disable tech stealing?
I like the espionage aspect of the game, but I also like to play with tech trading, tech brokering and tech diffusion off, so each civ has to do its own research, and tech stealing ”spoils” that.

Alternatively if it's something that can be easily done by changing one of the xml files then I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. :)

I second this :thumbsup: !

OR would it have to be a mod to a regular building with an enhanced effect assigned manually to civs with that trait.

The current XML would allow the Agricultural trait to either give a building construction speed bonus or a building happiness bonus.

However, you can make UB's that have a decreased production cost for that civ. That's how I got around that limitation.

I don't know how hard it is to add abilities for the traits

Is there a way to add the ability to give a % bonus to food or hammers, like we can science, culture, espionage, and gold?

Overall unit or building production modifiers, like can build all buildings faster or all buildings of a particular type, same thing with units? Obviously buildings you could add individually again.

What about adding an increase to yields from a specific improvement.

Okay outside of traits. How hard is it to make an event go off for everyone when they gain a tech and have access to a specific resource to upgrade their units. Best option would be an upgrade cost to apply that promotion. say for Iron armor over bronze, like a 5% strength bonus. I can make the promotions but I can't figure out how to trigger the event correctly.

Okay I will stop for now.

I don't know how hard it is to add abilities for the traits

Is there a way to add the ability to give a % bonus to food or hammers, like we can science, culture, espionage, and gold?

This already exists, the forge does this. Look for <YieldModifier> in the XML.

Overall unit or building production modifiers, like can build all buildings faster or all buildings of a particular type, same thing with units? Obviously buildings you could add individually again.

See modders guide to Afforess's Modmods. I have a UnitClassProductionModifier, a BuildingClassProductionModifier and GlobalBuildingClassProduction modifier.

What about adding an increase to yields from a specific improvement.

That would take some effort, but is do-able.

Okay outside of traits. How hard is it to make an event go off for everyone when they gain a tech and have access to a specific resource to upgrade their units. Best option would be an upgrade cost to apply that promotion. say for Iron armor over bronze, like a 5% strength bonus. I can make the promotions but I can't figure out how to trigger the event correctly.

Aren't there already events that trigger for the first person to get a tech, like the trade caravan event? I'm sure something similar could be made.

I meant a trait that adds a % bonus to food or hammers like the commerce traits for science, espionage, culture and gold.

As far as teh trigger, I tried to do it and followed what I thought would work, but not only did it not trigger for every player it didn't trigger for the first player either. I haven't tried again though, just wondered if it was possible since I couldn't get it to work earlier. thanks for the feedback.

I meant a trait that adds a % bonus to food or hammers like the commerce traits for science, espionage, culture and gold.

There's always the ExtraYieldThreshold, but no % bonus to yields. I will open a thread for specific XML tag requests when I finally get AND officially released.

There are so many cool techs and icons from Age of Empires 3. I think we should utilize this bounty and try to apply some of them to Civ 4. Especially since they have many of the same civilizations.

You noticed I have been using them. I also have been getting some from an Age of Empires 3 mod (yes they exist), The Napoleonic Era (Beta).

Sorry if it's already mentioned / a mod, but I'd really like to see a unit like Supply Crawlers from Alpha Centauri - an actual unit that you could use to set up cross-city supply chains. For example, if you have one city that sits in a plot of land that lends itself to manufacturing, you could avoid building farms, and subsidize it with a breadbasket area of your empire instead.

I'd actually prefer to be able to do this without a unit, representing a nation's logistics train, but I could imagine that it might get complicated to code that up.

Sorry if it's already mentioned / a mod, but I'd really like to see a unit like Supply Crawlers from Alpha Centauri - an actual unit that you could use to set up cross-city supply chains. For example, if you have one city that sits in a plot of land that lends itself to manufacturing, you could avoid building farms, and subsidize it with a breadbasket area of your empire instead.

I'd actually prefer to be able to do this without a unit, representing a nation's logistics train, but I could imagine that it might get complicated to code that up.

Actually, I think this has been done before... for food anyway.

I didn't have much time to look through the dipomacy related files, so i rather save the time and ask some experts. so here's the problem: generally i find it most annoying that i can explore the world quite early with a tiny boat and gain contact to the most of the 40 civilizations in the world although it will take me over a millenium to actually have real dealings with those civs on the other side of the world. nevertheless these civs will want me to aid them in their wars which is most annoying since there's no sense in this. starting as minor civs is a bit of a solution but not a real one.

therefore i wondered if it could be done to allow diplomacy iff a unit or the borders of the other civs are in your actual viewing range untill a specific tech is research (like writing). maybe there's just a 'bHasConstact' flag somewhere that would need to be switch back to 0 when the other civs leaves your view.

i saw that Afforess made something like embassies in his modmod. they could be used to allow diplomacy in case there's no sight contact. in this scenario the technology for free diplomacy could be deleayed even to radio.

This idea mostly pertains to air combat units.
How about having the Early Bomber Class become a new(or different) class called Dive Bombers. Also I think a few more UU's would be nessicary.

My Proposal:

Dive Bomber Class:

Dual Winged Dive Bombers:
- a combonation of the Early Fighter, Early Bomber, and the Naval Fighter
- can perform fighter engagement(though less effective than Early Fighter or Naval Fighter)
- can perform all bombing missions(also less effective than the Bombers)
- can intercept aircraft(very low chance, maybe like 10 or 20%)
- Have about the same range as the Early Fighter

Monoplane Dive Bomber
- same as the Dual-Winged Dive Bomber, but is more powerful.
- can be loaded onto Carriers(Which is much more helpful when landing reinforcements, or just plain landing, troops to invade an enemy nation)
- Range is about the same as the Fighter

The New Unique Units

The Curtiss SB2C Helldiver(America), Junkers Ju-87 Stuka(Germany), D3A1 Val(Japan), Ilyushin IL-2(Russia)
Replaces Dive Bomber
+2 range(Some should be different, but this is just a base)
- Starts with Torpedoes(which makes it really only +1 range)

Also the Me262 needs to be added(I already added it myself but it doesn't work very well), as well as the F-22(Yet to even get to that).(I'm also trying to add the Kikka, for Japan)

I think I could do this, but I would need to know how to go in and add(or change) a unit class. I might also need some art graphics(I'll tell a little later).

These changes could prove very helpful in early-modern naval invasions, and would also be a very nice addition to a very great mod.

I'd like to request a Holy Roman Empire modmod:

• Frederick Barbarossa (Leader) (maybe Aggressive/Charismatic?)
    Barbarossa was Emperor during the 12th century, and went on a crusade with Richard Lionheart (England) and Philipp II (France)
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_I,_Holy_Roman_Emperor)
  • Pfalz (replaces Forbidden Palace) (3 Allowed) (requires castle)
    The Holy Roman Emperors did not reside in a fixed "capital", instead they moved between several residences.
  • Schwerer Landsknecht (replaces Heavy Pikeman)
    In RoM, the pikeman was split into two, heavily reducing the use of the holy roman unique unit. splitting the Landsknecht also could reinstate its usefulness

I'm not sure what to do about those modern unique units... using the same units as the "roman empire" seems a bit random, as they don't really have anything to do with each other, more sensible sounds using units inspired by the austro-hungarian empire (WWI), as the last emperor of the holy roman empire (Francis II of the holy roman empire) disbanded it facing Napoleon in 1806, and was crowned emperor of austria instead. the dualism of austria and prussia later escalated into the forming of the german empire excluding austria)

[in that context, the existing "german" civilisation should rather be "prussia", as both Frederick the Great and Bismarck were prussian]

I actually think that there should be a Prussian civ and a German civ(both seperate and there). But I always hated how there was a HRE(mostly because it was a confederation, or a loose group of countries governed by a single government, for most of it's history), but I like how you put in that UB.

[in that context, the existing "german" civilisation should rather be "prussia", as both Frederick the Great and Bismarck were prussian]

Bismarck was a German Chancellor(the First), but yes he was Prussian (Ammbassador to France, I think).

Actually, Bismarck was also chancellor of Prussia, and political mastermind behind the three wars that lead up to the unification of germany [the "second reich", if you will], the german-danish war, the german-german [or prussian-austrian] war, and the german-french war.

Top Bottom