[Module in Development]The Myu Collective

Ooh... :eek:

Hadn't realized that about Dominate, seems to make it even stronger than I already thought it was.

Is increasing the cap something that can be done modularly? If not, I'm not sure that I really have to have a bunch of dominators running around controlling more than 3 minions apiece anyway, so I might just go more on the fear angle. Or maybe the 1 use fear + 1 use spellstaff.

(edit: oh, well I guess Dominate could be modded with bForceOverwrite... which I'd be more comfortable doing with a spell than with some other elements)

Yep, cap is in SpellInterface, which is modular.

Should be possible to simply modify the spell requirement (of course, your python file needs the full requirement!); Not sure if it is or not in your version.

Check the bottom of the main CvSpellInterface.py file. If you see nothing about modular python there, then it's not possible in 1.30 but will be in 1.31.

Easy work around if it's not possible, though... Just include the spell in the module, which a modified req (instead of reqDomination, reqDominationMyu, with your code added to the new req).

This brings up a good question. In order to overwrite a python function do you need to simply include the editted function in the modular python file or do you need to do some funny stuff and force overwrite a new python req into the xml of the spell?

Should be possible to simply include the edited version. At least in my files. Not sure in the released files. :p

EugeneStyles, would the Myu be more prone to staying in their under-home (in peaks and underground) or are they mainly surface dwellers. I ask because of an idea I had which allows for Dwarves to gain safe and secure tile yields from peaks, but its flavor is that of dwarves which love being underground.

Yep, cap is in SpellInterface, which is modular.

Should be possible to simply modify the spell requirement (of course, your python file needs the full requirement!); Not sure if it is or not in your version.

Oh, I guess I didn't entirely understand how modular python worked. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the way I thought it would work made any sense at all... :p

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, but I think I'm gonna go with single (or limited)-use Fear plus single-use Spellstaff for a couple reasons:

a) I'm not sure that Dominate specifically needs to be powered up any. Without the possibility for failure removing the promo, it seems plenty strong as it is.
b) I'm not sure that increasing the cap would be all that meaningful anyway. If I have 3 units dominated and want to dominate another, I can just attack with those units. If they happen to all survive, I can just disband the most-damaged or least-useful one (err... nvm that, I see you disabled disbanding for Dominated units... good catch there...).
c) If a unit already has Mind 3, it might even be stronger to let them Dominate twice in one turn than to let them keep more units under their control.

EugeneStyles, would the Myu be more prone to staying in their under-home (in peaks and underground) or are they mainly surface dwellers. I ask because of an idea I had which allows for Dwarves to gain safe and secure tile yields from peaks, but its flavor is that of dwarves which love being underground.

That's a good question. In general, I would say that they would be underground dwellers to the same extent as the Khazad. They originated as a group of Khazad that explored psionics because, as dwarves, they had not the capacity for arcane magic. Granted, they would not have had the capacity for psionic magic either, but those who were so eager for power worshipped Mammon and begged him to bestow on them mental powers with which to smite their foes.

Many of the Myu would long for the surface because they have been so starved for light and fresh-air during their long exile in the Underdark. But others of the Myu have adapted and feel perfectly at home in the Underdark. Surprisingly, it is the evil leader who would most prefer the surface and the good leader who would most prefer underground. But, on average, I would say they are as much underground-dwellers as the Khazad.

That said, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of utilizing peaks. I think there's way too much mountainwalk in the game, and I kind of wish that dwarves couldn't traverse peaks already. (But on the other hand, I *would* like it if dwarves could only traverse peaks in "tunnels", which I think you were talking about in the other thread... or maybe it was someone else?)

All-in-all, I'm happy with the Myu being the "psionic civ", and not necessarily the "underground civ". But I have considered making an Elven psionic civ (sort of a cross between Eldar and Eladrin with more psionics), and if I did that and you had done the development necessary to make the Myu into the "underground psionic civ", I think that might be okay...

So the answer to your question is... maybe... =)

I would suggest you develop your peak yield stuff as a Khazad add-on and if you want me to add it into the Myu as well, I probably would...

Failing Dominate does not remove the spell. Instead, you are limited to 3 dominated units per caster.

FYI, the help text still says otherwise, and when the spell is resisted, you get a message that says your unit has lost the ability to cast Dominate. It is, however, a filthy lie.

Top Bottom