Monarch Student XV - DeGaulle

Hi

Monarch, Marathon, 810 AD

Spoiler :
Well since there wasnt exactly a stampede of ppl tripping over themselves to give advice on my question in last report I went ahead on my own so you should have pretty good idea how THAT went :p

I decided to make the fishing village near the crab tho at rate it going it probably gonna be looooong time b4 it get useful

I decided to save GE and go for GL. I wanted to put it in Lyons since it has TONS of cottages. After teching out asthetics I am ONE flippin turn from lit and GL gets built in foreing land grrr. AND to just rub things in a cpl of turns b4 that HG got built letting me if I had JUST tried to go for that one with GE I would have made it.

SO after wasting a turn of turns on that move I started teching for CS and use ge for MC and try to race to machinery. It didnt EXACTLY work out that way.

First meh DoW on me and AGAIN he wasnt even IN wheooh. I SWEAR this ONLY happens on monarch where AI's attack on their own without ANY warning. No I am like 90% sure he wasnt bribed. A) meh in heathen religion so nobdy likes him so I dont think he has the relations with anyone to even take a bribe and b) his stack stormed in as soon as dow'ed which usually mean the ai making the move on his own.

Luckily his stack went after city where I was massing my own troops anyways and while he had TONS of HA's I had TONS of Ellies so his stack got handled ok. With cats and swords and ellies I started to go after meh's cities.

Meanwhile, I teched out CS, traded it to Salad for MC and to someone else for feudalism and then used GE to tech out machinery. Timing was nice cuz another GE spawned in paris so I used him to rush the palace in Lyons saving like 90 something turns and then switched to beuracracy.

Meh almost done. He down to one city which I think I am gonna let him keep for now and just declare peace for maybe his world map or osmething since that last city will be fighting off Bizzy's culture and I am not ready to attack him just yet.

Diplo sitch is kinda tricky. Since it seems like if I am gonna attack anyone soon it should be Bizzy but unfortunately bizzy likes me best so that mean backstabbing my best ally.

None of meh's cities have buddhism so I STILL cant switch to one grrr. meanwhile Rags is getting to be annoying. He dow'ed on Jao aske dme to join so I did to keep diplo up doe sit make him happy? NOOOOO he still at cautious and then JUST when it starting to get diplo points from shared war he gets peace with Jao leaving me stuck in war. I get peace with Jao even tho it costs me 20 gold and what happens? Not ONLY do I lose mutual struggle points like THAT but NOW I have diplo hits with rags for trading with his worst enemy grrrr. SO basically TRYING to get diplo bonus with rags just got me diplo hits with BOTH rags and jao and LOST me the wine I had going with jao grrr.

This why I HATE rags. I SWEAR its in his code to things like JUST to annoy me. Even when I TRY to get on his good side it like he deliberately does stuff JUST so he has an excuse to add diplo hits. watch if at some point I am able to convert to buddhism he just gonna convert to something else even if ALL his cities are buddhist and just one city with a diff one he will switch JUST to avoid diplo bonuses with me grrr.

And that is kind of where I am at. It looks like at SOME point I am gonna have to take on Bizzy but that probably gonna mean a backstab by Rags just cuz he is Rags and maybe Jao since thanks to dowing on him I am now his worst enemy. My ONLY hope at this point is to TRY and hit bizzy hard and then take at least ONE buddhist city and convert and hope that can hold ppl off. I really dont know how that gonna work.

Here is my empire at this point:

Tech sitch:

and demos:

Need to do MAJOR build up before I even try to take Bizzy out and diplo looks very dicey with rags at cautious and worst enemy of jao so no idea if I can get through this but will keep on until inevitable dogpile at which point Im probably gonna have to resign if I cant figure out a way to handle it.

Kaytie

@Gustave
Spoiler :

Workers, cottages, courthouses, elephants. In that order.

@Kaytie - i was a little late on giving advice i guess. - seems like you followed in unknowingly anyway. :)
Edit: Except for the philosophy part...

Hi

Monarch, marathon 1476 AD

Spoiler :
Okies, I let Meh live a bit until I was rdy to take on Bizzy. Meanwhile that lil dillhole rags DoW's on me grrrr.

I kill his stack and after a while he accepts peace and I DoW on Bizzy. After taking the city that was culture pressing Meh I dow on meh too and take his last city.

I start taking cities from Bizzy but toward the end he start getting curriassors which are lil too tuff to try especially since Jao dows on me grrr. But bizzy willing to cap so I let him and after awhile Jao willing to go for peace so I start to try and recover and build up land.

Salad beats me to lib by a MILE. I had teched out philo on my own got a GS to bulb edu from 27 to 7 turns and turn AFTER I bulb edu Salad gets lib race grrr.

But at least he is pleased AND willing to sign def pact so I figure that will keep rags off my back.

WRONG Rags DoW's anyways and Izzy joins in too.

Luckily they focus on Bizzy's cities more than me so I let him take the beating for the most part until they willing to go for peace.

Good news is afterwards Salad FINALLY starts sending missionaries my way so that plus the one buddhist city of Bizzy I took let me convert in hope it help. Nope it help with salad but thats it both Izzy and Rags still ticked at me.

Right now I been builing up my stack to figure out who to go after next. Here are how things look:

My empire:

Demos:

Tech sitch:

and diplo sitch:

Rags been trading off dow on me and jao so they both hate each other. Now odds are I COULD go after Jao and none of the others could get bribed in BUT knowing rags he will see it as chance to pick on me again and will probably dow even without being bribed.

Bad thing about going after Jao also is he owns AP. Know while he ONLY civ running ap religion EVERY other civ have at least one city running christianity which I think means he can call for holy war. Plus ap is in lisbon which is inland so even razing it will take a few turns after DoWing just to get to it which means he could call for holy war b4 I can raze it.

So I am thinking going after rags. He only has ONE christian city so it will be easy to avoid and it likely Jao wont be bribed in cuz he hates rags too. Izzy might join in but hopefully if she do she will spend most of time fighting bizzy than me. So Rags seems safer bet at this point just to avoid AP headaches. Plus he been a MAJOR dillhole the WHOLE game so he NEEDS to die hehe :p

Way things look like is Kill or cap Rags then Izzy then Jao for dom win. Salad gets a pass for being ONLY ai who been nice this game so I wont kill him unless I absolutely have to :)

Anways that my plan at this point so wish me luck :)

Kaytie

@tempest
Spoiler :
hehe yeah by time I noticed your advice it was too late for me to follow it hehe but tyvm for trying tho :). And at least some of what I did on my own you thought were what you advised so that means I wasnt totally playing dumb. ANd yeah I noticed how lots of ppl put that one city by copper/sheep on the copper and not the sheep so that was probably dumb move on my part but placing cities is still something I really have NOO clue at :/ ANd I did make the filler city anyways just cuz after CS I saw I could get some food there so it could grow and I just HATE wasted space especially hills that could be adding to hammer totals :).

Emperor - Epic - 1500AD

Spoiler :
I started the round by continuing my buildup for war with Bis. I flipped to US to see how effective buying cuirassiers would be. It actually worked pretty well, I had ~1500 gold saved up, making 150 per turn. Rushing a cuirassier takes ~300 gold after one turn is put into it. The other part of US that I completely forgot about probably helped more though. The +1 hammer on towns along with a golden age added 14-16 hammers to those cities. I made sure to draft as many muskets as possible as well. Finally I have a good enough army to take out Bis:

You can see in that picture that my SoZ gambit worked well. Not only did I keep the horses, I was starting to steal some cottages from Bis.

Anyway, the war started out well. I took his first two cities easily, leaving his 3 western cities to beeline for Berlin. Berlin had some nice wonders, but not as much as I was hoping for.

After that everything went to hell. Bis sneaked a stack through the fog to kill off my muskets guarding Berlin. I retook it, and next turn Izzy declares peace with Mehmed and declares on me the same turn, and retakes Berlin for herself. At this point I was mad, I mean Bis currently has two of Izzy's cities, and she was at pleased with me until she made 4 or 5 stop trading/war demands over a 10 turn span. I retook Berlin again, and I didn't see any more troops from Izzy since she didn't have OB with Bis, plus she was still in an AP war with Rag.

The next turn after that, Mehmed declares on me. I couldn't believe this one. Bis has declared on him twice. Yeah right the AI isn't stacked against the human player. He stole two workers off of me, and ended up suiciding a medium sized stack against one of my cities. Then he gave me some gold for peace.

After dealing with those nuisances, I got back to finishing off Bis. He was pretty much crippled after losing his capital, SoD and secondary stack. It still took longer than I would have liked though. I capped him after taking all but two cities. Those cities block Rag and the zealots from getting to me, although I think Joao could still get me since he needs boats. Here's his land:

A lot of green land. I've started cottaging over everything, but it will take a while before they mature. I already built the HE in Paris, so I'll get IW up in Berlin once I get to steel.

The bad news about the Bis war is that I let the other AIs close the gap tech wise.

I'm thinking I'll break my MT monopoly to get chemistry and hopefully some other stuff.

I'm ready to declare on Mehmed, but he has a ton of units running around his land, even though he only has 5 cities. He also has steel. Hopefully I can wipe him out before he passes that tech on to someone else. I could wait until rifling to wipe him out easily, but I should be fine as long as I hit his stack with mine and not the other way around.

Monarch, Epic

I had a long post almost finished, but when changing between tabs, I accidentally closed the tab the reply was in. :cry:

So here's the short version up to 1500AD

Spoiler :

Settled 6 more cities in my territory. Built Stonehenge, Pyramids, and Hanging Gardens. Mehmed founds Hinduism. Beeline engineering. I attack him with trebs, swords, elephants, and xbows, he still has archers and axemen. After Mehmed is dead, Rag attacks, I easily defeat his stack. Teching toward Steel. Going to attack Germany, up to Berlin and accept capitulation. Here are the screenshots.

Sorry for the lack of detail, but I don't want to type all that again.

Emperor/epic, 1130 - 1804:

Spoiler :

Building cuirassiers to attack Bis. Why Bis and not Meh? Meh is pleased and can't declare, Bis is pleased and CAN declare war. Bis is bigger and tends to become a dangerous late-game opponent. And I can eventually let Meh live and make him my BFF for an UN win. We'll see.

1340 - Expensive, but worth the price. This way Bis sends his main stack all the way to Ragland:

1360 - And here it is:

1420 - Bis and Rag sign peace. Are you kidding me? 8k beakers to bribe him and he doesn't even see Rag's borders. Bah.

1425 - DoW.

1430 - Frankfurt and Munich captured.

1435 - And AP forces peace. Great.

1485 - DoW again. Wait for his stack in Munich.

1490 - Munich is conveniently located 4 tiles from Berlin, so his 1-move stack ends his turn right where I want it. Stack destroyed and siege flanked to tiny bits. I know he has a second stack, so keep waiting in Munich.

1500 - AP calls peace again, but I defy. Meh votes no, so it wasn't even necessary.

1510 - 2nd stack killed.

1535 - Rag dogpiles Bis.

1560 - Berlin:

1575 - AP calls peace AGAIN. I hope Meh will vote No again, so I don't defy. Of course the idiot votes yes and we are at peace again. Just great.

1590 - Frankfurt pass under ottoman control.

1625 - Will this ever end? Dow Bis again. Half stack is upgraded to cavalry at this point.

1645 - Finally I'm the new AP boss.

1702 - Bis is dead:

1704 - Meh converts to Islam? Now seriously, what's the point? One tries to be careful with diplo and he pulls out this garbage.

1706 - A lot of people with hands full, so I call def pact between members. Success:

1712 - And Joao declares vs Salad. N.1:

1736 - Meh signs peace with Joao and is cautious with me now. I fear dogpiling as soon as people start signing peace with Joao.

1738 - Rag DoW Isa. Def pacts aren't active anymore so I'm not dragged in that war.

1744 - I adopt FR. Meh is pleased again (safe), but Isa drops from friendly (religion+theocracy) to cautious. I'd rather get declared on by Isa, thankyou.

1752 - Peace with Joao.

1756 - Defensive pact with Salad.

1772 - And Isa capitulates to Joao? No cities captured and different landmass, but she's lost a city to Rag. Really bad news. Isa is always a soft target and is quite big in this game. A lot of votes lost.

Empire at 1804:

Meh and Joao are teching at an alarming rate:

Diplo is a mess. I hope for a war between Meh and Joao at some point:

Isa capitulation was totally unexpected and kinda screwed my plans. At this point I think I'll make Meh my new BFF (he's spread Islam to me, so I can easily push him to friendly) and go collect some votes to the E. Stupid Isa isn't an option anymore, but I can take Salad and Rag for myself. Artillery is almost done and I'm switching into hammer mode with levees and factories everywhere.

If Joao and Meh start a war I can probably dogpile and get a chunk of Isa for myself.

And final part, emp/epic, 1804 - end:

Spoiler :

1812 - Rag declares vs Isa+Joao.

1842 - Isa hates me, no open borders, so I can't move my stuff to Salad. Screw it, I declare vs Isa and Joao. He's still busy vs Ragnar and I have a decent stack in Marseilles if he lands something.

1848 - Isa breaks free and Rag signs peace with Joao. Joao still doesn't talk to me.
I bribe Meh:

And get Rag out of my way:

Isa is done:

1851 - Peace with Joao and I declare vs Rag, starting from his spanish cities.

Now it's me+Isa vs Rag and Meh vs Joao.

1861 - Joao builds the UN. It's me vs him.

1862 - I'm UN secretary. To win I need Mehmed to friendly (easy adopting Islam) and Ragnar's votes (almost done, I think).

1882 - Spanish cities aren't enough, so I go and capture two of his core cities, capital included. Rag's out:

And I take his colony as well:

Check votes:

I need Mehmed. Switch to Islam.

1886 - Win:

Power:

Demo:

Stats:

Score:

Empire:

Techs:

Diplo:

Capital:

Another UN win in the late 800s, how original.

Next game will be a Fin leader (only Mansa so far). Probably Rag himself.

Epic/Immortal
War 1 - 1555AD

Spoiler :

Round begins with preparing/declaring war on Mehmed. Most cities have been producing War Elephants or Trebuchets. Once MT/Steel are done the slider is set to 0 for a while and the army is upgraded. Mehmed provides little resistance while providing some nice bonuses - ToS at 26gpt and the SoZ. Prior to the war also traded for Military Science from Bismark and every GG in this game will be an academy. Mehmed is gone in 1555AD. To the east Ragnar has made vassals out of Isabella and Saladin. He's actually pushing for a diplomatic victory here depending who runs against him. Thankfully the UN is not yet built and he's backwards like normal. He will be up next or at least some of his vassals.

War 2 - 1885AD and End

Spoiler :

He may be backwards but between Ragnar, Isabella, and Saladin they have a ton of troops. I bribe my BFF Bismark into war with me - he's no slouch either and is slightly my tech superior - and the army begins to wade through city after city heading east. Isabella is eliminated in 1852 at which time I sue for peace netting Medina and a large haul of gold. This was done in order to power tech to robotics and Mechanized Infantry - their mobility and ability to heal on the move would really speed things up. Just in case I begin building Anti-Tanks to upgrade upon completion of Robotics. This gives you MI with the armored target bonus and I have no clue where Ragnar is tech wise and don't want to be surprised by a ton of tanks. With this thought in mind Advanced Flight is nabbed via the Internet and all the leftover Cavalry are also upgraded to their modern component. With tanks/helicopters/MI the army is now very mobile. Fortified Infantry still hurt but at this point Paris is producing 1 of whatever I like per turn and new units are quickly flown to the front lines via airports. This leads to Ragnar's core all going down with 12 turns of each other. Along the way I gain enough population for a diplomatic win apparently. Cuts about 10 turns off of waiting for newly acquired cities' borders to pop.

A few end of the game style pictures -

Hi

Monarch, Marathon, 1807 AD

Spoiler :
Well I am just minding my own business trying to get my empire all togther, build units and build infrastucture and shomehow catch up with everybody. When all you know what kinda braks loose. First Rags been dow on me and jao all game and he decides it Jaos turn to be DoW'ed on so he declares on him. Then while that is going on Salad decided to DoW on Rags.

So since I didnt think it was fair the boys got to have all the fun and leave me and Izzy out:

First city I take I raze cuz it christian and I dont want any AP cheese happening. After that I have to walk through Bizzys territory and then rags has a city blocking me but I guess he figure he dont want trbl cuz he agree to open borders and I march into rest of Izzy's empire and start taking more of her cities.

I keep going till she just have 2 left that would be swamped by Salad's culture and then I let her cap. And thatw here things are at this point.

Here is my empire now:

with Izzys old cities:

Current demos:

Things are starting to improve in most categories now.

Tech sitch:

Things are lil better on tech front too.

Not sure where to go from here. Either Rags or Jao most likely. AP sitch has gotten a lil bit better since by razing the only christian city she had Izzy now out of ap block and then Rags spun off a colony and now that one christian city he had is owned by lincoln so taking Jaos cities means I dont have to worry about losing to a diplo vote. On other hand I stall have ZERO transports but do have a pretty good land army and me and Salad are buddies so I can just march through his lands and attack. Although even doing that I am gonna want to make SOME transports and get second stack so I can attack from two sides to make things go quicker.

But IF Im gonna go to trbl of making a navy I might as well go after jao, he a lil backwars, NOBODY likes him and he has a TON of nice land. And then after he delt with it rags turn. Like I said Rags been dillhole for pretty much hole game and if he THINKS giving open borders so I can go after Izzy mean all is forgiven he is VERY mistaken. Game will NOT be over until he gets the stomping he been asking for ALL game hehe :p

And IF all goes well by that time I will get enough land for a dom win and will be 2 for 2 on monarch diff games so wish me luck :)

Kaytie

Kaytie:

Spoiler :

Game is won. Don't bother with a navy, just take Salad and Rag for yourself. I don't remember Joao's power threshold to declare war, but I suspect you can prevent a DoW from him with raw power alone. Just stop making your cities prettier and alt+spam tanks everywhere :lol:

We have some great starting land in this game, but the neighbors are respectable warmongers, so this game isn't easy as it may seem. I think you can safely consider yourself a 100% monarch player.

Lansky:

Spoiler :

No love for mobile artillery? I think it's the most brutal modern unit. If I'm still fighting in the modern era I always beeline mobile artillery right after tanks.

Quick update to 1734 AD.

Spoiler :

The AI in this game seem to be teching very slowly. I don't know why, but first there was my treb vs archer war and now this. First to Liberalism in 1702 AD.

Usually when I head toward steel I assume I won't be first to Liberalism, as there's usually some Mansa or Ghandi beelining it from the start, and this is from my experience at prince. So I really figured I wouldn't have a chance at monarch. After my war with Germany, I figured it was time to rebuild my economy, so I researched Education. Then I realized, the Liberalism bonus was still there. :crazyeye: I took Steam Power.

So I stopped at 1734AD. #1 in score, land, and power. Techwise I'm ahead of everyone except Joao, who has Democracy, but doesn't have Steam Power yet, so I'd guess we're roughly even. I'm sure this game is basically won at this point, I just have to decide if I want to go for a more tedious (but more rewarding) domination win, or the lazy builder space win.

Lansky:

Spoiler :

No love for mobile artillery? I think it's the most brutal modern unit. If I'm still fighting in the modern era I always beeline mobile artillery right after tanks.

Spoiler :

Huge amounts of love for mobile artillery, but I had been pumping Calvary, Infantry, and Artillery. Going for robotics would get me MI and Helicopters via the Internet. So I just chose the tech path that let me upgrade 2 of my 3 main type of units. I also started to build Jets, but Ragnar's core cities were much easier to crack then I had expected. Ragnar had a huge espionage lead and I was mostly in the dark most of the war other than the random spy I managed to sneak in before it got caught. In retrospect I would have gone with Mobile Artillery as that would have been even faster with less unit loss.

Emperor - Epic - 1852 Diplomation victory.

Spoiler :
I started the round by declaring war on Mehmed. He has some very valuable land that I could use. I waited first turn to see where he would send his stack, he moved it next to one of my northern cities, and my cuirassiers moved up to wipe his stack out.

Cannons own cities, but they suck at defending against cuirassiers in the field. The first horse killed a cannon at ~75%, and the rest were flanked down to inconsequential strength.

A few turns in I took Istanbul, getting my second favorite wonder to capture, Notre Dame (behind the Pyramids.)

Mehmed wasn't easy to take out though, almost all of his cities were on hills, and he had some nasty guerrilla 2/CG jans that were hard to dislodge.

I actually played this war a few days ago, so I forget the specifics. Anyway, I got all of his cities despite heavy casualties, and his last city:

I would have taken peace before that for steel, but he wouldn't give it up. Oh well, he took the knowledge to his grave.

And his land:

Lots of green. I eventually cottaged over everything.

After that I started beelining communism for the Kremlin. Unfortunately, Joao got it about 10 turns before I did, so he had a significant head start on building it. The good news is that I'm industrious with stone. I went all out on production in Berlin, starving the city down to squeeze out every hammer, and going 100% gold to buy it as soon as possible. 4 or 5 turns later I was able to buy it for ~6500 gold, I figure it will pay for itself.

I beelined artillery after that, since the AI uncharacteristically beelined military techs themselves, making cannons not an efficient enough option.

The first target was Izzy. She was Rag's vassal, but she's on the way to Sal, so why not take her out.

That stack was only my leftover cuirassiers and pre built cannons that I upgraded. I started rush buying units in all of my cities every other turn there though, building up forces for later.

The Izzy war was uneventful. The majority of my artillery is at 7exp (2 GGs each in my IW and HE cities,) and riflemen don't hold up well against CR2/3 artillery. She was wiped out pretty quickly:

Her death was all her fault though. If she had broken free from Rag I would have gladly capped her and given her back her cities. Oh well, pay back for that surprise back stab earlier.

Sal is next, unfortunately, he's very well defended. You can see from when I killed Izzy, he's almost to AL, and that's after researching railroad for MGs and combustion for naval superiority. His land is also full of CG3/drill crap. Luckily it seems like the AI doesn't take advantage of the whole rifle/grenadier > MG upgrade though, since I didn't see any CG3 MGs.

The answer to a huge protective civ at tech parity or slightly ahead? The Kremlin of course.

No AI is stopping that before the modern era. I have plenty of back up units running around my land as well.

Joao was teching pretty well, and once I started seeing the wonders like Broadway and the Redentor come up, I knew the UN was right around the corner. I aimed to cap Sal as soon as possible which would give me the votes for a diplo win.

He ended up building it while I was taking Sal out. I won secretary, and the options came up the turn before I took his second best city, Medina. After I took that, Sal was ready to give up.

The knowledge of how to use pointy sticks as weapons helped my artillery operators out significantly.

His land:

Anyway, I thought I might win that turn, since technically, Sal hasn't gotten his turn to vote yet, and when he will, he'll be my vassal, but apparently not, so I need to wait for the next vote.

I decided to exact some revenge on Rag while I wait.

I only had time to go up and burn Bjorgvin before the next vote came up, but Rag got the point.

Here's the power graph, Joao was teching well, but he wouldn't have stood a chance if I was going for a conquest victory. This game was won when I finished the Kremlin.

Stats:

And the score:

Hi

@Ai Shizuka

Spoiler :
Kaytie:

Game is won. Don't bother with a navy, just take Salad and Rag for yourself. I don't remember Joao's power threshold to declare war, but I suspect you can prevent a DoW from him with raw power alone. Just stop making your cities prettier and alt+spam tanks everywhere :lol:

We have some great starting land in this game, but the neighbors are respectable warmongers, so this game isn't easy as it may seem. I think you can safely consider yourself a 100% monarch player.

yeah I think I have good shot at winning as long as I avoid ap headaches or letting ai get a sneaky culture win but I have blown games I thought looked good b4 so nothing is ever 100% certain until the victory notice happens

As it turns out rags was next target and if his lands not enuff I will pick Jao ahead of Salad just cuz salad been nice the whole game and dont really want to be mean to him unless I have to. So I really do need a navy at some point most likely.

As for me NOT at least trying to make my cities pretty????????????!!!! :eek: Im just gonna pretend you didnt even suggest that hehe :p

And somebody who been getting TOTALLY STOMPED on last two LHC games on prince level like I have is DEFINITELY NOT 100% Monarch level player :p

Kaytie

Emperor/Normal 1000 AD to 1500 AD
Spoiler :

Left 1 turn left on lib and aimed to get steel from it if i could. The war with Mehmed went on for another 200 years or so.

Unfortunately Germany got the last city - but at least the war is over now. I take steel from lib and start building cannons. I want to attack Bismarck but he is building a lot of units - i'll just keep building cannons and see what things look like when i have enough to attack someone.

Tech at 1500: Joao is a little ahead, Ragnar a little behind.

Will start building cuirassiers next turn - and also keep building cannons. I should be able to get enough to take on Bismarck i think - i scouted out his main stack which is in his capital. Might have to wait until cavalry/rifles come along also.

to 1790 AD
Spoiler :

Decide to attack Bismarck - waited for rifling and enough cavalry/rifles/cannons to do the job. Took these two cities on 2nd turn of the war - he actually recaptured Ankara a few turns later with his stack. A couple turns later i took the city way out west, and also retook Ankara - killing his stack.

Move up and take Munich.

Then Berlin.

Berlin from the inside... After this i take peace since i'm falling behind in tech. Need to catch back up for a bit and will finish him off with infantry/artillery.

Last edited:
But LHC games are a different story. And Boudi's island wasn't exactly amazing anyway. I think you are doing well at Monarch.

Lansky:

Spoiler :
Makes sense. It's a part of the tech tree I've pretty much ignored so far. My last game with Mech Inf was probably at Noble. Some experience with jets, modern armor and choppers. Going AGAINST mech inf, well, that's another story :lol:

Hey guys, Forum n00b here, so this may take a few edits before it looks pretty. Also, I sort of got into the flow of the game and totally forgot about screen shots.

Anyway, 4000BC - 1923AD Domination, Monarch, Epic
Spoiler :

So, I decided to settle in place, even though it was one off the coast. This location was a bit food starved, so I didn't think adding a bunch of two food sea tiles would help.

I got Oracle and Pyramids for an early lead. Ran Rep for a good portion of the game, then switched to US 1000AD, when Izzy declared on me for being a heathen. I wanted a way to rush units because I'd been neglecting military to boost teching. She sent a pathetic stack which was repelled, but got me into wartime production mode. Speaking of religions, Mehmed founded Judaism, Bismark and I adopted it. Izzy founded Buddhism, and I think she was alone in the faith. Saladin founded Hinduism and converted Ragnar. I don't remember what Joao was. Anyway, I took peace in 1220AD and got some cash as a result of the military build-up.

1370AD - World War breaks out, Ragnar declares on Izzy, then one turn later Bismark is bribed in against her.

1410AD - Bismark was actually having a pretty rough time; he lost two cities. I decided to stab my "friend" in the back since his main force was on the other side of his country.

1535AD - Bismark Caps to me after losing 5 cities. It was a slow war, but i got some pretty highly promoted Cannon (took steel from Lib.), Maces, and Musketeers out of it.

1585AD - One of the German cities I conquered culture flips to the Ottomans. He was warring with Izzy at the time, so I figured I could take it back pretty easily.

1620AD - After marching my army back from Germany I declare on Mehmed.

1732AD - Ottoman Civ is dead. Same turn, Izzy decides it would be a good time to DoW Bismark and me. Ragnar declares on her next turn, owns some face, and gets a cap in 1754AD.

Then a lot of peaceful military build up.

1862AD - Declare on Izzy / Ragnar. Capture the german cities she captured 200 years earlier, liberate them to Bismark. Eventually I took enough land that she was free of Ragnar. Destroy basically all of their units, Izzy caps 1878AD, Ragnar 1887AD. I have Infantry / Artillery at this point.

1891AD - Declare on Saladin.

1895AD - Capture one arabian city, and Saladin caps.

At this point I probably should just gone UN, but I wanted conquest. So, I gear up for a naval war with Joao, who has a decent tech lead.

1916AD - Declare on Joao, with a decent navy, Marines, and fighters. He has jets.

I captured 2 cities with my naval force. I also moved my SoD from the continent to his island, and caputer Lisbon with it. He caps 1921AD.
I really wanted a Conquest here, which I should have gotten I think. Anyway, It gave me a domination in 1923AD, and a final score of 56219.

Like most of my Monarch wins it was late, fugly, and derived through brute force. I really owe you guys a lot though. Before finding CFC I couldn't beat prince, and now I'm dissatisfied with monarch victories. Thanks for a fun scenario as well.

Emperor/Normal 1790 AD to 1912 (UN win)
Spoiler :

This is a nice wonder to have - made 2 switches later with it so it helped a bit. Eiffel Tower and Hollywood both came a few turns later also. At this point i have artillery, just need to finish up AL, make some upgrades and finish off Bismarck.

This GM came just in time to help with those upgrades.

Random tech screen - Joao has been and will be ahead all game.

Ready to finish off Bismarck. Isa declared on him awhile back, took 1 city but not much has happened since. My production with state property and lots of cities is way more than i need.

Took his last city on the continent then decided to vassal him rather than build transports (i didn't build a ship all game)

Joao actually won the UN secretary vote - i couldn't get both Isa and Sal's votes since they were both only at pleased without sharing religion. I had changed to theocracy to run their fav civic and get extra promotions. Decided to switch to Hinduism, get Sal to friendly and attack Isa. I went for laser just to have mobile artillery to make it fast. I just finally could see her power and realized my army was overkill. Probably won't need mobile artillery... (see 2 screenshots down... :))

Yeah, really didn't need all these troops and laser... Only took 1 city. Unfortunately i had just missed a UN vote for victory (i was secretary now) - i was about 60 votes short but would win the next one that popped up.

Meanwhile Sal starts a war with Ragnar and asks me to join - so i send my units all the way over to Ragnar hoping they can actually see some action.

Nope, not really - took 1 city and UN vote comes up ending it.

Here is tech at the end. Joao is way ahead, but unfortunately for him those techs don't give UN votes. He had beat me to the internet by a lot (around 1875) - i had just finished plastics and he had it. Wouldn't have helped me that much though since he was the only one with those techs.

Hi

Monarch, Marathon, 1885 AD

Spoiler :
SoI was building up my empire and making my cities pretty :p when Salad and Jao both DoW on rags. Like I said rags been a TOTAL dillhole whole game and not just with me Jao and Salad both hate him and by now they both waaay stronger than him so:

I figured I join in too before they get ALL his cities hehe.

After rags got taken care of it was more building up and prettifying until I felt I had enough units to go after Jao AND I navy to get the units there.

I already had this stack:

But I like to be 100% sure so I waited until I was able to get a second stack:

That was just a TEENSY bit bigger hehe :p

And when both stacks in position:

And thats where I am at at this point--plan is to take Joas cities until I get enough for a dom win.

Here is my empire at this point:

main empire:

Izzys old cities:

and rags' old cities:

Current tech sitch:

and demos:

Ai said at my last report that at THAT point game was won. I thought that it was still too early to make a call like that but now I am pretty confident it safe to say I am most likely gonna win unless I mess up BIGTIME somehow. I just need to take Jao's cities and wait for border pops and eventually I will get land % for dom win since I am already over pop %. But I AM capable of messing up bigtime so nothing is guranteed yet hehe :p but hopefully game in bag at this point but just in case, wish me luck :)
Kaytie

@gskyes
Spoiler :
don't forget about UN victory - it would be easier than domination and much faster than building a space ship. Since you're #1 in pop it doesn't matter who builds it - anyone but Saladin actually is fine. Switch to buddhism and theocracy and you should be able to get Sal's votes. Then it just requires you fighting a war against Isa/Rags. With Isa's land you have enough to win (if you get Sal's votes) so you don't really have to invade Rag's land.

Seems like taking Isa's land/building UN is much easier than taking isa/sal/rags land for dom, or teching all the way to space.

Depends on diplo with Sal though - if you have like -4 worst enemy trades, -3 declare on our friend penalties then don't bother with UN.

Good game though - weird Joao not teching lib, he teched pretty quick in my game. If Rags/Isa don't have rifling i'd say attack with rifles/cannons. If they do have it maybe wait for infantry/artillery.

Top Bottom