1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. CromulentRomulan

CromulentRomulan Chieftain

to be completely fair the remarks repeatedly raised regarding monopoly tourism in this thread are not questionable. And while can only speculate it would seem that the monopoly tourism is an oversight reflective of insufficient work on the product (team stretched too thin, bad priorities - who knows)

Myomoto likes this.
  2. InsidiousMage

InsidiousMage Prince

Attempting a monthly release schedule during a pandemic is like every possible bad decision rolled into one. It still baffles me that they haven't altered the release schedule at all. It seems like half of the recent patch notes are bug fixes. Utterly bizarre choice.

Myomoto likes this.
  3. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

FXS can only loose. Just imagine the cryout if they would have altered the release schedule. "they don't keep their promises. I want my money back..." I agree that due to the circumstances a change of schedule might have been advantageous, but nowadays, patience died and a ****storm waits around every corner.
    A better way from the companies point of view is to keep the schedule and wipe out the mistakes in the aftermath. I'm not pleased either, mind you. I actually stopped playing the game at all (huge maps and epic takes its time) since I can't manage to finish a game within the current update cycle and encountered unplayability several times...

4. blatchcorn

blatchcorn Chieftain

If I have minimal great works, but a strong culture output and two monopolies, how many national parks would be required to win a culture victory on immortal difficulty?

5. Myomoto

Myomoto King

What is this, some kind of crazy Civ highschool math question? :lol:

6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

No, those only work with trains.

7. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Sorry, don't have the time to read through the whole thread atm, but has anyone noted how since this last update trading in general is broken?
    You ask the AI for X and Y, and rather than negotiate you down like they were doing 80% of the time, they simply say they won't make the trade. And without the little red "x" indicating that there is an item that they won't trade under any circumstances.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Abaxial

Abaxial King

As I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, this mode rather changes the dynamic around amenities. It used to be that if you had, say, two silver, since you only get amenities from one of them, you trade the other one away for citrus or some other luxury you don't have. Now, it seems that by trading a luxury you lose control of it, so you have to hoard them carefully. Is that right?

9. Ansive

Ansive Prince

It only matters who controls the IMPROVED luxury (including city state territory). No disadvantage to trading your extra resources, you still get the gold/tourism bonus. (monopoly % does not change)

Zaarin and Uberfrog like this.
  10. blatchcorn

blatchcorn Chieftain

Lol I see your point but I was hoping for just a ball park figure like 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, or 10+

Myomoto likes this.
  11. Ansive

Ansive Prince

Well, some people win before even building national parks or getting any great works.

You can do the math to figure out your tourism % bonus (but your base tourism also matters a lot):
    "A monopolized resource will boost Tourism by 5% times the number of improved nodes times the number of civilizations who do not control an instance of that resource."

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Monopolies_and_Corporations_(Civ6)

If you own 10 dyes and there are 10 other players in the game (who don't own any) -> 500% bonus tourism (broken!)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Myomoto likes this.
  12. DBPirate

DBPirate Chieftain

This was a problem for me way before this update, but it has happened a bit more often than normal on my latest game.

13. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

You are not alone - the bug thread for it is here:

[NFP] - [1.0.9.9] Regression since patch: Make this deal more equitable broken, no counter-proposal from AI | CivFanatics Forums

nzcamel and 8housesofelixir like this.
  14. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

15. Eva-kun

Eva-kun Chieftain

The mode broken along with unbalance.

Just played with the mode off along with all the additional modes introduce in NFP. AI was playing similar to pre-patch. This should hopefully be patch on the next update.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  16. n_shai

n_shai Chieftain

This formula is way way off

I did a few tests and i'm yet to figure out how it actually works, but for statistics:
    i have a save game with 14 monopolies. Other civs (10 civs) have 0 copies of those luxuries

29/30 14/15 10/11
    12/12 11/11 12/12
    4/4 4/4 3/3 3/3
    3/3 2/2 2/2 2/2
    5 of those are corporations and have 5 products built each
    other 9 are industries
    I also have 50% of silver (9/18), which is not counted as a monopoly, but it's a corporation with 5 products
    I did not sell any of my luxury copies
    My tourism boost is 2100%

9 monopolies gave me a 1190% boost
    Based on civilopedia formula:

111 luxury copies * 5% * 10 civs = 5550%
    and i'm not even counting silver
    When i had dyes pillaged (i only had 2 copies) the boost was reduced by 100%.
    When i had 24/30 pearls coropration monopoly, i still had 2100% boost.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  17. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: I deleted 8 posts flaming the developers and responding to the flame, please report problematic posts instead of replying to them.

Please also keep this thread on topic or we will have to close it.

18. CromulentRomulan

CromulentRomulan Chieftain

Setting aside the monopoly tourism modifier what are people's thoughts on Products?

In every game I've played with them they have arrived too late to impact the game. I think they merit a rethink and they honestly appear a bit unfocused but they are an addition to the game that I'm glad the mode has endeavoured to include. The tourism and yields per turn they generate are inconsequential and the requirement to house them in a tier 3 building means that you can't export products to cities that might benefit from the % bonuses they bestow.

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I'm assuming that the Mo & Co Game Mode is Firaxis' way of testing the waters for an Economic Victory and more complete Economic Play in Civ VII. With that assumption (which may, of course, be completely Wrong on my part - wouldn't be the first time, GK) here are the major changes/additions I think they still need to explore:

1. Expand the Resources and Products, in that the Manufactured and City-State Resources like Cinnamon, Jeans, Toys, Perfumes, etc are not included yet. Manufactured goods are in fact the greatest source of both revenue and Trade in the Modern World, and getting "Quick Gold" from dominating trade resources from a City State should be a possibility from at least the Classical Era on, whether it's White Jade from Teotehuacan or Amber from a Baltic proto-city.

2. Expand the possible Monopoly/Corp resources to include Strategic as well as Amenity. The folks on the steppes made a very good thing out of trading good Horses to China and the Middle East, the latter starting in the Ancient Era, the former in the Classical, and later Oil, Niter (the Chilean deposits especially), Iron (Swedish ores from the late Middle Ages on), and Timber (ship timber from Norway) were all very lucrative Trade goods. I could make a good case for Bonus Resources as well, as salt cod (Fish) was the mainstay product of the Hanseatic League trade in the Medieval Era for an obvious example. That, however, will probably require a complete rethinking of the Resource system, so I'll leave it alone for now.

3. Possibly, with a rethinking of Barbarians/Tribal Huts, expand sources for Resources to include 'Barbarians' or other Non-City-Building groups on the game map. See above: the 'northern Barbarians' were a major source of good Warhorses for centuries to China and other 'civilized' neighbors, as was Amber to the Mediterranean Civs from barbarous northern Europeans. This could open up an entirely new aspect of game play in more varied interactions with these groups, which now are related to gobbling up Tribal Huts and defending against/attacking Barbarians only.

4. In the last Era(s) of the game, some of the most Gold-Producing 'Resources' traded are not physical, they are Intellectual Property or Entertainment/Production boosts. Among the most lucrative international 'Trading' Corporations/Monopolies in the Information Era are Apple, Microsoft (personal electronics and productivity electronics), Google (electronic services), Amazon (more efficient selling of other companies/nations products), and all the companies in Hollywood and Bollywood (personal entertainment) - none of which are directly related to trading any physical Resource from the map. This ties in with (1) above, in that manufactured Resources, including those 'manufactured' by creative rather than industrious labor, are the mainstay of modern commerce, not raw commodities.

20. Ansive

Ansive Prince

That's because the game is decided very early on. It's a basic flaw of the game.
    Good players will snowball many times faster than the AI.

They addressed this problem previously by reducing eurekas (slower tech), making late game buildings cheaper and stronger (so they would be worth building), increased city amenity requirements...

I'm guessing a way to play with the current implementation of products would be to start the game in a later era (like industrial).
    This way you might have enough time to build seaports and stock exchanges BEFORE the game is decided. (making them feel impactful)

They could either make products available earlier, or fix the problem of players teching/expanding/conquering too fast and the AI not keeping up.