• Extra Option

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Extra Option

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

aronnax

Let your spirit be free
NOTE: THE WINNERS HAVE BEEN ANNOUCED FOR THE 100 VOTE MARK

Okay the winners with the most votes at the final Tally after 100 votes are...

Congratulations Germany and Italy at 16 votes each!!!

These two are the Winners of the Western European Category and will Proceed to the International round.

Voting can still go on but the winners wont change until we reach 200 votes! :p So other hot contenders like Britian or Sweden can still bump them off.

I have been decidingly wondering what was the most loved, most respected, most cared about nation in the world in OT, and this post and poll is meant to serve that purpose. Since I can't fit 194 countries into the 25 Ballot Polls, I decided to take it region by region, picking the winner and runner-up into an international round. Hopefully, I can get at least a HUNDRED votes before I proceed to the next region.

RULES - Please follow them for a fairer poll

Rule 1) No voting for your own country
Rule 2) Please choose your answer base on the following catergories

1) CULTURE (Its eg. dances/music/tradition)
2) FOOD
3) GEOGRAPHY/GEOLOGY (For its eg. beaches/mountains/scenaries/climate)
4) LANDMARKS (Both manmade or natural)
5) HISTORIC PRIDE (Like the Britians proud of their Empire or the Americans for their Revolution)
6) POLICIES (Like Free Healthcare/neutrality stand/whatever)
7) AORAM (Amount Of RadioActive Monkeys)

Rule 3) No bias voting like a German voting for Austria or a Greek for a Cyprus because its the next closest thing.

Rule 4) Please comment a little bit on your choice and state your nationality
Rule 5) Please also add in if you want the next Poll to be an Open Poll
Um thats all.

The Candidates for the W. Europe Catergory

Commence Voting:goodjob: Thank you for your time

1) CULTURE (Its dances/music/tradition)
Germany.
2) FOOD
Whoever makes the most Knäckebröd.
3) GEOGRAPHY/GEOLOGY (For its beaches/mountains/scenaries/climate)
Norway.
4) LANDMARKS (Both manmade or natural)
France.
5) HISTORIC PRIDE (Like the Britians proud of their Empire or the Americans for their Revolution)
France.
6) POLICIES (Like Free Healthcare/neutrality stand/whatever)
Sweden - I cannot lie.
7) AORAM (Amount Of RadioActive Monkeys)
France.

France is the winner.

Germany for me. ionteresting to see that slavic countries now qualify as western when Finland dosent!

I wouldn't be much of an Hispanophile if I didn't vote for Spain now, would I?

In terms of landmarks and history it's amazing and only Italy really has it beaten there, but Spain's history is more interesting and varied.

The food's nothing brilliant but it is cheap and plentiful.

As for policies, they're doing pretty well. At the forefront of renewable energy production, gay marriage, regional autonomy and respect for minority languages and groups, high immigration with something close to an open-door policy and a relative lack of angst over it, very vigorous and varied press, effectively legalised marijuana... not bad for a mere 30 years of democracy, really.

Now if they can just stop funding the Catholic Church and get the hell over Gibraltar...

I'm curious about something though - if all those are in Western Europe, then is all the rest going to be in Eastern Europe? Because Croatia for example is in the central region, or if you don't consider such a region as valid, it's still in the Western half of Europe, which ends at the Black Sea.

Germany for me. ionteresting to see that slavic countries now qualify as western when Finland dosent!

Not really. Bohemia, Moravia and Slovenia were parts of Austria-Hungary, one of the great powers until 1918. Historically and culturally, Czech Rep. and Slovenia are more "Western European" than Finland. Anyway, I'd include Hungary, Slovakia and Poland too, but it's not my thread.

It's a tough call, but I'll vote for the Netherlands - a bastion of liberalism unspoiled by the Anglo-Saxon, Nordic, German or French pride. It's a small, successful and resilient country, made by its people.

EDIT: May I ask for a link to the blank map of Europe you used? Thanks.

You ******* :p - who decided that we're not part of Western Europe? :mad:

Spoiler :

I don't really care :cool:.

I'm curious about something though - if all those are in Western Europe, then is all the rest going to be in Eastern Europe? Because Croatia for example is in the central region, or if you don't consider such a region as valid, it's still in the Western half of Europe, which ends at the Black Sea.

Not really. Bohemia, Moravia and Slovenia were parts of Austria-Hungary, one of the great powers until 1918. Historically and culturally, Czech Rep. and Slovenia are more "Western European" than Finland. Anyway, I'd include Hungary, Slovakia and Poland too, but it's not my thread.

My method for dividing Europe was for neither Political nor historical reasons. I just drew a line down Europe and regulated it to fit the borders. Thats why Finland was out (too far East) and Czech and Slovenia made it (majority land on the left side of the line).

You forgot Liechtenstein.

Ah Crap! I knew I forgot something. Ill add it with the Eastern Europe Poll

Yeah I also gotta go with Spain. Granted, the food ain't hot but you can pretty much live on jamón and tortilla española for ages and not get sick of it, ever. Recently been to Italy and I have to confess that yes, Italy is prettier which surprised me. But some places in Spain are just too awesome for words so that kinda comes down to personal preferences, I guess Spain wins the landmark vote here (Alhambra, valle de los caídos, Toledo, el Escorial).

Historic pride (with the exception of the Franco era, but hey, we had Hitler) and culture (toros, jamón, blend of 3 religions over some time, arab heritage, beautiful language, flamenco, Dalí, Picasso and too many painters to number, literature of the siglo(s) de oro) go to Spain imho, as would the HOT CHICKS vote which btw is missing... inconceivable!

austria Hungary clearly spanned several European regions, merely having been occupied by it does not confer the status of Western European nation. How exactly do you consider Czech Republic historically and culturally more western than Finland?

You wopuld include Poland as Western European???:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My method for dividing Europe was for neither Political nor historical reasons. I just drew a line down Europe and regulated it to fit the borders. Thats why Finland was out (too far East) and Czech and Slovenia made it (majority land on the left side of the line)

Fair enough. I admit its not always an easy distinction to make.

I wouldn't be much of an Hispanophile if I didn't vote for Spain now, would I?

In terms of landmarks and history it's amazing and only Italy really has it beaten there, but Spain's history is more interesting and varied.

The food's nothing brilliant but it is cheap and plentiful.

History? History?!

Italy whips spains ass in history my friend.
Renaissance > Being conquered by Romans and Moors
And Pizza > Tapas

;)

I voted Britain. Largest Empire in the World. And defeated Germany in two World Wars.

Thats the kind of loyalty to the commonwealth I like to see (Y)

this thread could be aptly named "Which county are you from, western europe".

It's a tough call, but I'll vote for the Netherlands - a bastion of liberalism unspoiled by the Anglo-Saxon, Nordic, German or French pride. It's a small, successful and resilient country, made by its people.

EDIT: May I ask for a link to the blank map of Europe you used? Thanks.

Winner, the I took this map from Montergo's Wiki page. It was basically what you saw but with Montergo coloured green, with Longitude and Latitude Lines and non European countries coloured grey. Basically, I whiten out Montergo and the other countries, slowly got rid of the lines and thats the result. I also have one without the borders and rivers

The map now does not exist any more but Ill be happy to send to you through Email.

PM me your address and I can send it over.

Top Bottom