Votes: 5 1.3%
  • A Scandinavian civ

Votes: 52 13.2%
  • Another Sub-Saharan or a Pan-Sub-Saharan African civ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • other

Votes: 22 5.6%

• Total voters
Historically, Spain has been pretty important. Maybe not for the last two or three centuries, but by then there were no Romans or Persians either, as such.

What I don't understand is why the civ meant to represent native Americans is called the Iroquois and given a special mounted unit. Couldn't they make them a plains tribe instead? It would move their starting position farther west on world maps as well, which is important considering that otherwise the Americans will either get cramped in on the east coast or wipe them out early. I think they could just have left Native Americans as barbarians and put in some more important people. Oh well. I guess I can always change this myself.... ;)

Seems like the votes are spread, but as I see it The Scandinavians are in the Lead.

The Vikings should be in the game, I have heard somewhere that it even was the Vikings that founded what now is called Russia.

The Russians definatally named Ryssland (Russia) after the Vikings.

Ryssland = Rus - land...... Rus = Swedish Viking!

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Seems like the votes are spread, but as I see it The Scandinavians are in the Lead.

The Vikings should be in the game, I have heard somewhere that it even was the Vikings that founded what now is called Russia.

The Russians definatally named Ryssland (Russia) after the Vikings.

Ryssland = Rus - land...... Rus = Swedish Viking!

That's pretty much true, but what it has to do with Sweden? Is Trondheim in Sweden? Or is it actually Norway? Pardon my ignorance, if any :D
I would agree that Scandinavs played a big role in history (and not only as pre-medieval ages Vikings, there has been a big war between Russia and a Swedish kingdom, that dominated Baltic region in 1700's), but isn't there too many european civilizations already? How about Belgians then? :D
I voted mongols.

Yea I know there is too many European Civs, but There should be a total of 32 Civs at least!

What Sweden has to do with Vikings?

Sweden was the main Viking land! They origined from there. Ever heard of Birka (I think the city was called that...)? It was located were Stockholm is today.

And yes Sweden was a very important country in the Middle Ages, we fought many wars, and Russia was almost always our main enemy. Along with the Danish.

Once in history Sweden had Norway, Finland, Estonia, and those other countries around that area north of poland up to Finland. I can't remember their English names...

So we have been big.

Mongols, Yes. Of course! They should be in!

And isn't Egypt, Persia and Babylon Arabs?

Somehow, though voted five (one by me) times, no one mentioned Jews (Israel). I will do so.

We ([dance] I am too) had, and have a great influence on the world...

In the ancient times, we were the first monotheistic religion, and the other two (Islam and Christianity) came out of it. That means that The Jews have to be Religious :goodjob:.

At the modern times, Israel had a lot of wars for 52 years of existence as a independent country. We have one of the strongest (if not the strongest) armies in the Middle East, which can be seen throughout the Six Days War, which lasted for six days :)rolleyes:) and during those six days our forces (that were attacked by the Jordanians, Egyptians, Syrians and Lebanese) managed to conquer the Jordan part of Jerusalem (and beyond it till the Jordan river), Ramat Ha-Golan, which was a good tactic positions for Syria, and the Egyptian half island of Sinai, which was given back to them a a part of a peace treaty.

It seems like the Middle Eastern Civs are really missing, the Arabs, the Israelies.... i mean, it would have made sense to include them, they are a big part of history, why were they excluded in any case?

On the other hand, 16 Civs is way too little, we should have had many more civs and an editor that would allows us to add even more because after all, the civlization game is about a lot of civs :) and the fact that we can customize it and make it much more fun for us and the others in the civ community.
so basically, i'd chose every one of those civs to be included. I hope they are coming with an expansion pack with atleast these civs (the middle easter ones)

Shastram

:egypt:

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Sweden was the main Viking land! They origined from there. Ever heard of Birka (I think the city was called that...)? It was located were Stockholm is today.

No, not really. I mean, the Vikings (Germanic tribes, that went north exterminating the local - Celtic and others- inhabitants i the first three centuries AD) are known mostly for the feats of the Danish and Norwegian vikings, not the Swedish. Swede Vikings are mainly known for their influence in Russia (hence the name=Rus, Russia) and as mercenaries for the Byzantines (the "Varaggian" guard was consisted of Swede Vikings).

But in terms of influence in mainland Europe... who invaded Britain? Who set up Normandy? Who raided as far as Sicily (creating the appropriate Kingdom)? Who discovered Groenland and Vinland (the new world)? Who starred in Shakespears plays? :D

None of these feats conducted by the Swedish Vikings. All of them by the Norwegian and Danish Vikings.

And isn't Egypt, Persia and Babylon Arabs?

You can't be serious now... :rolleyes: You mentioned four totaly distinctive nations/ethnic groups with little or no bonds between them. Only religion is TODAY unifying the three of those. TODAY. In the past... better forget it.

It's like saying Italian, Brits, Greeks and Swedes are the same, just because they are all Christians. Tsk tsk tsk...

Yea I know all that, I meant the vikings that went to Russia.

I know that the Danish invaded britain, and all that stuff... I just wanted to point out that their were swedish vikings, somebody said:

"That's pretty much true, but what it has to do with Sweden?"

And that about Egypt, babylon and persia... I just guessed, I wanted peoples feedback.

The Middle East is allready represented with both Babylon and Persia, so it's argueable whether more Mid East civs are 'desperately needed'.

As for the other continents:

Africa is represented with two civs as well - Egypt and the Zulus.

Asia has five - China, Japan, and India, plus the Middle East.

America has three - the US, the Iroquis and the Aztecs.

Europe has a whopping number of 6 civs - Rome, Greece, France, Germany, Russia, and Britain. But IMHO it's defendable since Europeans have over the last 500 years perhaps most influenced (in one way or the other) the course of history.

And don't forget that Europe is Firaxis'/Infrogames' other big market...

There should be at least one south american civilization.

Eurpoe's high number of civs is totally justified. I mean...if the native Americans are getting 2 civs, Europe should rightfully get about 300 civs; though that's only if we measure a continent's importance in civ3 by the continent's contribution to historical progress.

Originally posted by kcstoli

That's pretty much true, but what it has to do with Sweden? Is Trondheim in Sweden? Or is it actually Norway? Pardon my ignorance, if any :D

Trondheim is in Norway to answer your question
:egypt:

I think the the civ that has the most right to be there is Spain. We mustn't forget that at the time when Elizabeth I ruled England, Spain was the number one power in Europe at that time, with England lagging behind in 3rd/4th place.

I coem to the defense of Civ3 and it's civs, as having too many (other than Spanish!) requires a lot more work done. If we did have 30 civs, think about all the luxuries that we have at the moment that would most likely have been cut out (e.g. Different face expressions of leaders).

This poll is rigged. There is no option to say that you're happy with things the way they are. There are 16 CIVs using every combination of the 6 traits that you can have. Adding more would clutter up the game. Just make some new ones in the editor if you don't like the ones supplied.

Originally posted by seghillian

This poll is rigged. There is no option to say that you're happy with things the way they are. There are 16 CIVs using every combination of the 6 traits that you can have. Adding more would clutter up the game. Just make some new ones in the editor if you don't like the ones supplied.

The purpose of the poll is to determine which civs that are not
in the game should be added if fireaxis produce an add-on pack or a sequel. I don't think many people share your opinion about the number of civs, but the poll is not asking whether or not you're happy with the current number of civs, but which civs should be added if there were to be more civs.

I don't see how adding civs would lead to cluttering unless there were several hundred. You would still be able to play with the same number of opponents in the game as before, only you would have more choice as to which civs they would be. Plus many people like to play as the Vikings, Celts, Mongols, etc.

As for the editor, it's not that easy. You can edit a few civs, but this leads to instability in the game. Also, it is very difficult and time-consuming to make even one new civ of the same quality as the default fireaxis civs. If fireaxis release a decent editor, perhaps this would change, but at the moment there are no modmakers who've successfully produced a stable, crash free edited or added civ with all the features of the default civs.

i;m not a mod maker but i've been told part of the problem is that the leader heads in the foreign advisor screen are hard-coded into the game. meaning it is impossible to create a custom civ and have the foreign advisor work properly.

as for 30 civs being too much work. obviously i don't work for fireaxis so i can't speak with certianty, but as i said they already have all the infastructure in place for making civs. they have video capturing tools to turn peoples real heads into leader heads, they have the art team to edit both this and the one unique unit. apart from this artwork and a paragraph of text, their is little more to a civ.

so go on i say. surprise everyone by making a whopping amount!
-ChumChum
:cooool:

Hi there:cool:
I suport your idea, dario, about the portugueses being the first people to explore the world, they where really visionary :scan: that time.
so mi vote goes to the protuguses.:goodjob:
altough i believe that many more civilizations deserve to be in the civ3
:skull: THERE IS NO KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT POWER:skull:
from mortal kombat

I agree that the Portuguese were great explorers:) But exploration doesn't mean they were a civ that should have been included with more reason than some other civs (no offense meant to Portuguese ppl:egypt: ) Anyway I still stay with my view that Spanish were way too powerful to be left out lol.

I agree that the Spanish and the Arabs should not have been left out of the top 16 civs, but I don't think many of the civs in the poll should have made it into the 16 civ game. But if they were to have another 16 civs, the Portuguese are definitely strong contenders, as are the others. Their pioneering achievements in exploration are significant. Although I'm not sure if they are significant for much else?:confused:

Originally posted by Dario

That's not true...
The first to explore the whole planet where, of course, the feared and powerfull portuguese
:D

Actually, that is not true either. The Chinese discovered all the continents (with the possible exception of Antarctica) before any European tribe.

Top Bottom