Moving settler...

McThomas

Creative Warrior
Hey :D

I have a addiction to settleing on Hill/Plains: 18 turn worker :D (epic)

but, how many turns is a max to use on the 1st settler?

i'd say 1 turn? how about you guys?

Never more then 1 turn. In fact i almost always settle in place. I no longer trust the blue circles from the advisor, he seems to have a preference for settling on the coast even if there are no resources.

First or second turn is often best. Might depend on your starting techs and whether resources have to be broken up into two cities. If you really want to pull your hair out, load up some ice games until you see a 7 seafood start and no convenient location for a second city.

2~3 turns is fine, even more too if it nets you a great capital. Back on Vanilla, players used to move for looong time periods (10ish turns) to block land on higher difficulties.

I only play at Prince, but I'm very near to moving up to Monarch. Is the decision to move a settler dependent on level? I've never moved the settler in any of my games (well, maybe once when I started on a flood plain and could move 1 space to a river plain and still settle-avoids the unhealthiness).

Settling in place seems to be the best idea because each turn you are out, the AI is busy researching techs.

Settling in place seems to be the best idea because each turn you are out, the AI is busy researching techs.

It's often a case of "slow down to go faster". The most common excuse to move is to settle on a tile that produces an extra hammer. An initial worker, under those conditions, can be trained in 12 turns rather than 15.

If you compare this play to settling in place @ turn 15, you'll find that at a cost of 1 turn of research and 1 turn of culture, you've acquired two extra turns of tile yield, two extra worker turns, and two extra hammers. And then it keeps falling behind from there, because of the extra hammer in the center tile.

In most cases, this is a great deal. Not so hot when you are trying to win a religion race from the start, for instance, or if by moving you are giving up good tiles.

(well, maybe once when I started on a flood plain and could move 1 space to a river plain and still settle-avoids the unhealthiness).

Moving is often a good idea when you start on a floodplain, but not to avoid unhealthiness, but to gain a floodplain in your BFC.
(It's removed if you settle on it.)

Top Bottom