MRG's Random Game of Randomness

Researching Combustion isn't that dumb. Now that we don't have anything to trade to Korea, how are we going to get it otherwise? However, it's awfully slow now, after the GA is over... If we don't beat Korea, no big deal, at least we then profit from the discount.

Now that we set up our rail network, we should garrison our eastern border with Infantry. Otherwise a sneak attack by Korea could easily wipe out our entire empire in one turn... :backstab: (And they still have a score with us to settle...)

What happened to our ship-chain to Constantinople?! I would have left at least a one-link strong chain intact there, in case we need to react to some unforeseen emergencies... After all, some of our most important assets are located over there, 2 luxes, Leonardo, iron (for rails) and horses, and they may need protection at some point.

Also the settlers could then be shipped over to Byzantium to fill the gaps.

Another Army is going to finish next turn. Do we want an Infantry Army? It attacks with same strength as a Cav Army, but with defense 20, it will be safe from attack even by Tanks...

We have now bought oil and saltpeter, but having our own is still preferable, so I would say the attack line Zaragoza, Santiago, Alicante should still be main objective, to secure these resources before the Portuguese or Egyptians do...

Last edited:
The Koreans kept sending privateers to attack the ship chain. Infantry army sounds like a good idea.

I have moved the original ship chain away from where it was. Korea kept sending privateers to attack our ships, but they don't seem to care about the beginning chain headed to southern Spain. I guess they just didn't want us having ships near their homeland.
OK, this is my gottit.

I assume the plan was to move the ship chain to our east coast and then sail east, for a beachhead near e.g. Cordoba? Do we need some Frigates* to cover the transfer-points?

*(Or Destroyers, if we somehow acquire Combustion -- though not sure what the plan for that was/is? Research it, or buy it when Korea gets it? We can currently learn it in 18T at SCI=40%, but SCI=50% will bankrupt us before we're done)

We could have more income/spending if we trimmed some fat off our forces, though. Given that we can now build Cavs + Arty (and Galleons), and build/draft Infs, we still seem to have obsolete units which could do with upgrading (Keshiks, Rifles, maybe the Galleys?), suiciding (Archers, LBMs -- not all of whom are in Armies!), or disbanding (Cannon), ideally into useful builds, e.g. Choybalsan's Market. OK to try and trim some of those away as opportunities present themselves?

I assume that most/all the Rambos we have near Spain are upgraded Maces/LBMs? Not sure why we're building more of them in a couple of high-shield core-towns, though -- when we could have Infantry for the same shield-cost?
Now that we set up our rail network, we should garrison our eastern border with Infantry.
We haven't got the rails up yet, but with RepParts, it shouldn't take long! My usual procedure would be to lay down the thin-net between neighbouring towns first, then bring the Workers/Slaves back to improve the core towns one by one, starting with the most important/ productive (i.e. Palace and FP-town). OK to do that here?

Presumably you mean garrisoning all the Cav-accessible towns, i.e. Chongfu to Taegwon, including Saynshand (Bayanhongor is protected by the Hills)? How many Infs per town? Would one each be enough to encourage any backstabbing Korean Cavs to go for the ungarrisoned towns further in?

Or did you want a solid wall of Infs?
We have now bought oil and saltpeter, but having our own is still preferable, so I would say the attack line Zaragoza, Santiago, Alicante should still be main objective, to secure these resources before the Portuguese or Egyptians do...
Will do my best, should be able to get at least Palma and Zara during my set. Combat-Settlers FTW!

I'll save some Settlers for Byz, though... I guess we're doing city-pox gold-/beaker-farms here? 🤢

OK, I'm now relatively caught up on what's been happening in my absence (I mainly wanted a look at the last couple of pages' worth of screenshots, because our holiday-apartment's WLAN / internet was too slow/erratic to transmit them to my phone while I was reading the posts).

I'd be able to DL the last save this evening, and play the next turnset over the next couple of days — if that's OK with everyone?

Sounds good to me. I'm also back, I guess I'll take the set after yours.

For now, just one Inf per town for "discouraging" any sneaky stuff. For a "real defense" we are still to weak anyway.
Later on (= after the rails are complete), here is a good way to secure a border without having to have that many units: just build a solid wall of level-2 fortresses inside our culture. These stop any incoming unit in its tracks...

I expect that own research will be cheaper than buying it, especially as we have more universities than banks. But we can still decide, when Korea indeed has it: any research we put into the tech, will be subtracted from the price, even if we decide to buy it. So we don't lose anything by doing a bit of own research.

But perhaps it's good to use the cash for upgrades for a couple more turns. After all, we own Leonardo's! I would hate to disband all those LBs, and Guerillas are currently among the best attackers (6), so why not use them! Then our core towns can still build infrastructure for a while, and we still have a big army!

Unit upkeep will take care of itself, while the war progresses... (That's my experience... Just capture cities, rush settlers and fill the gaps.) Perhaps this is the best turn of events:
  • Science to 0% for another while, use the money to upgrade
  • The strong army will result in more towns faster, which in turn will reduce the unit upkeep
  • And with the reduced unit upkeep we can then afford 50-60% science rate, when our universities really come to shine...

Just a brief update, because I'm still playing my set.

Most of our forces have now been fully upgraded, a thin rail net has been assembled across our original homeland, KK and Mandal's flatland and Hills are already fully railed (Mandal's Mountains don't need rails for 2T- Infs or Cavs), so I am now railing the remaining core-town tiles. Since we can now afford to start researching, I have also switched on the SCI%-slider for Combustion (Korea just got it, so that's made it cheaper as well).

Palma, Zaragoza, Santiago and Barcelona have fallen (Santi back-flipped, but we didn't lose any units, and I re-captured it immediately) and Vittoria should also fall next turn. With Barc's Horses, we can now build Cavs, which (I think) are preferable to Rambos for attacking the Spanish towns, which nearly all have Level 3-4 Cultural expansions.

Bella's countermoves against us have been predictably weak, since she's fighting everyone, and Cleo has been obligingly sending her crap-units (Spears, Archers, LBMs) to distract and then be slaughtered by the Spanish Cavs. So I've really only had to deal with a few Cavs sent towards Zara/Palma via (Barcelona and then) Toledo -- but I now have Infs moving that way to block roads, wasting the Cavs' moves by forcing them onto rough/unroaded terrain.

An Inf-Army, Settler and a few Arty + Cavs have also just been landed between Asturias and Santander. I was thinking to use the Army as a stack-anchor until we've taken both those towns, but first we'll need an actual stack to anchor! With our core getting railed up and a ship-chain in place (nearly finished!), that shouldn't take long, though. Then we can found a beachhead town of our own, and once that's done, we'll be able to ship-chain everything we'll need to finish the job across from Darhan (or possibly one of the more marginal towns to the northwest).

Spoiler [T]urn[L]og[D]on't[R]ead :
T 240, 1250 AD
Do a little light MM in former Byzantium, e.g. reassigning all mining Workers to irrigation, and switching most towns to building Settlers if they weren't already
IBT
Egyptians murder Spanish Cavs, make moves towards Zaragoza
Volcano erupts near Baruun! Luckily, all the lava misses the town

T 241, 1255 AD
At Palma:
Cannons + Arty redline vRifle + 2 rRifle garrisons, exposing vCav
LBM-Army kills vCav + rRifle
Cav-Army kills v+rRifles and captures town
We gain 12g, 1 Slave, Harbour, Rax, Duct + Market, all of which I will keep
Nearby vRifle moved into Palma and upgraded
New Hovd founded on Coal near Diu
Rambos + Arty arrive in Hovd thanks to RoP with Henry
Cav-Army, unfired Arty, free v+eCavs, and LBM-Army moved towards Zaragoza
v+e*LBMs upgraded in Valadolid
Can't upgrade the Keshiks, because we are selling our only Horse-resource -- to Korea! Why?!?
With Coal now connected, Workers begin railing out from KK
IBT
Kazan builds Hoover! Just 1 more SPT here will get us 2T-Infs!
Americans begin UniSuff

T 242, 1260 AD
More railing... KK now at 66 SPT, if only we could build Cruise Missiles...
At Zaragoza:
Artillery knock 3 HP off v+rRifle, revealing eCav! This is gonna be so easy...
eCav dies vs. eCav, revealing cRifle
Or maybe not so easy...
rCav retreats, vCav kills cRifle
vCav kills injured rRifle
Cav-Army kills injured vRifle and newly revealed vCav. Just.
vCav dies to injured eCav
eCav kills eCav, and takes the town
We gain 15g, Rax + Duct, which I keep, and a Bank, which I sell
Armies moved in and fortified, 4 vRifles and 2 Cannon upgraded
Rambo kills redlined vCav near Santiago, others fortify on Hills between Zara and Santi
vRifle, spare Cavs + unfired Arty head for Santi
IBT
Egyptian Cavs help us out ba killing a vRifle in Santi
Zara riots because I forgot to activate the Governator...

T 243, 1265 AD
At Santiago:
Arty redlines v+rRifles
eCavs kill v+rRifles, and take the town
We gain 11g, 6 Slaves, Rax, Market + Duct, all of which I keep
Armies + injured + spare Rambos moved in and fortified, 2 more vRifles upgraded
New Arty bombs and Keshiks kill 2 injured vCavs near Santi
Newly arrived Rambos fortified on Hills south of Santi, Zara + Vala
vRifle + vInf, spare Cavs + unfired Arty head for Barcelona
With Hoover + Factories online and most obsolete units now upgraded, it's time to start researching Combustion: SCI%=40% gets it in 17 turns at -11 gpt (SCI%=50 will bankrupt us in 4T)
IBT
Rambo near Zara repels Cav

T 244, 1270 AD
New Slaves road Horses near Vala, and we can finally upgrade our Keshiks!LBM-Armies kill 2 vCavs approaching Zara
At Barc:
Arties redline 3 vRifles
vCavs kill vRifles, one promoted
UNfortunately I don't have enough fast-attackers to kill the last(?) visible units (LBM + Cav), but the Arty redlines them just for fun
Spain is Commie, so Bella will likely draft over the IBT...
IBT
Spain lands 2 Cavs near UlaanB!
And Santiago defects! (right after I just cash-rushed a Worker there, as per typical)

T 245, 1275 AD
Near Zara:
LBM-Armies kill 4 vCavs
At Santi:
'Luckily' I left some Arty nearby to bomb the automagically generated r+vRifles into the red
Cav kills one, Rambo kills the other, and we regain the town (+13g)
At Barc:
Arty redlines 2c+vRifles
eCavs kills cRifles (no MGLs), rCav kills vRifle for a promotion, vKeshik kills LBM,
vCav kills redlined vCav ad takes the town
We gain 20g, 3 Slaves, Rax + Market (kept) + Bank (sold)
Spare units moved in, vKeshik upgraded
Cav-Army + unfired Arty moved into range of Vittoria
Arty bombs, LBMs kill Spanish vCavs near UlaanB
GAME SAVED
IBT
Egyptian Cavs now threaten Vittoria
Bella wants to talk. Nope.
Spanish Cavs kill a few American units
Pollution in Mandal!

T 246, 1280 AD
At Barc:
LBM+Archer-Army kills injured vCav
Town evac'd
At Vittoria:
5 Arty redline 3 rRifles
vCav dies promoting rRifle
Buggrit, buggrem. Cav-Army kills all 3 Rifles
eCav kills vLBM and takes the town
We gain 22g, 2 Slaves, Rax, Market + Duct
Between Palma + Toledo:
Arty bombs, eCav kills vCav
Spare/healing units move into Vitto
Small Arty-stack sent towards Merida
IBT
Spanish Friggit sinks a Galleon. Plenty more where that came from...
CRAP! I'd seen no Conqs so far, so thought Bella didn't have any, but she did! Barc captured: we lose 1g and gain WW!

T 247, 1285 AD
At Merida:
Arty redline, e+vCavs kill r+vRifles + vCav and take the town
We gain 16g, 3 Trebs(!), Market
At Barc,
Arty redline Rifle + Conq
Cav-Army kills Rifle, LBM-Army kills Conq
No gold, but at least the buildings are still intact...
Spares garrisoned here, skeleton Rambo-garrisons placed in all Conq-vulnerable towns as deterrents. We're getting spread a bit thin here...
Arty-stack heads for Salamanca
LBM-Army stack arrives outside Toledo
Gil has a little cash, so I ask what he wants for Electronics. We get Sani, WMap, 137g + 101gpt
Treasury now a little healthier (288g), but I need to raise LU% to 20% against WW (Combustion in 12T at +13gpt, but payments to Korea end in 3T...)
Rush a couple of Settlers in Byzantium (60g)
IBT
Portugal captures Zamora
Galleon repels Spanish Frig

T 248, 1290 AD
At Toledo:
LBM-Army barely scratches vRifle before retreating to heal. Guess we'll need guns here...
Arty-stack heads for Salamanca
Byzzie Settlers SE to fill-in spots
Ship-chained units will arrive in 2T, so take a risk, and found New Dalandzagad in southern Spain
IBT
eCav at Toledo defends vs vCav
Damn, built CivDef in KK by mistake...

T 249, 1295 AD
Lots of Worker-shuffling, found a few more Farms in Byz
IBT
We lost our incense!
Asturias has fallen to Egypt!

T 250, 1300 AD
Gil sells us Incense for Rubber + 7gpt
First two shiploads arrice in New Daland
At Santander:
Arty knock 4 HP off 3 v+rRifles
Inf Army kills 2 Rifles, vCav kills third and takes the town!
We gain 26g, 2 Slaves, Rax, Market, Duct + Harbour
At Salamanca:
Arty redline 2 rRifles
eCavs kills Rifles + LBM, and Kublai appears!
We gain 19g, 4 Slaves, Rax + market
Kublai builds Army (1st Salamanca Cavalry)
At Toledo:
Arty knock 4(?) HP off vRifles
vCav dies to vRifle
Cav-Army kills both vRifles, and takes the town
We gain 20g, 1 Slave, 1 Cannon, GREAT LIBRARY + Rax
More units ship-chained to southern Spain
GAME SAVED
Handover:

My Spanish adventures met with far more success than I had expected: in addition to the towns listed in my post above, we now also own Vittoria, Medina, Salamanca, Toledo and Santander. The north/west border of Spain got ravaged by Cleo and Henry before I got there, and Cleo also beat me/us to Asturias by 1 turn (but it may flip back to Spain, if we're lucky).

Thanks to our dogpile, Bella does not know which way to throw her units, and Spain now seems to be staggering, even if not yet down.

With the fall of Salamanca + Toledo on the last turn, we do now have a few Cavs within attack-range of Madrid -- and also a newly-formed-but-still-empty Army (Kublai's e*Cav in Salamanca is intended to start it off).

However, given Madrid's Cultural borders, we probably do not have enough fast units to reach and take it quite yet, so it might be better to just let the other AI-Civs beat their (slow) units to death on it, while we sweep around it to take Bella's other (smaller) towns first. We are now racing Cleo's Cavs for those southern/eastern towns! But our ship-chain to southern Spain is nearly complete, and will be completed once we send another couple of boatloads of units over.

That said, there are ~7 Arty also already in bombing-range of Madrid (covered by Infs, don't worry!), so these could be used to probe Bella's Palace-defenders if wished, and there are more Arty available nearby (Salamanca + Toledo) which could also be moved into range next turn.

We need to be careful though, because Bella has started(?) building Conquistadores as well as (or possibly instead of) Cavs. Thinking it was safe to leave it ungarrisoned, I already lost Barcelona once, which is likely why we now have some WW (sorry!) -- and why all the conquered towns near the Spanish front (now) have a Rambo-garrison, with the Governors switched on (and hence Clowns assigned) in those towns.

I have Settled some beaker/gold-farms in former Byzantium during the past couple of turns, and Workers are planting and chopping Forests for more Settlers (then irrigating -- not mining!!! -- the chopped tiles). However, none of the larger Spanish conquests came fully out of resistance in the turn after capture, so I have not been able to rush any Settlers there yet (and Byz is really too far away to supply Settlers to Spain, because Cleo has not railed her land).

With all the upgrades, and research on Combustion switched back on for most of my set, we are now a bit short of gold -- but we are also no longer exporting Horses to Korea. Wang would give us ~725g to renew his Horse-import, or ~1490g for our only hooked Rubber (he has no spare GPT). Selling Rubber should not be problematic because (1) we need Cavs more than Infs right now and (2) there is a Rubber-Forest outside Toledo, and a stack of Slaves near Palma who could be moved down to chop and road it.

Alternatively, if we zero SCI% again, we may be able to buy the remaining Combustion-beakers from him using these resources + GPT -- but I have not tested this. Depending on wht the team agree on, the next player (@choxorn?) could still sign a deal with Korea, before ending the turn.

One other reason we could do with some gold is for short-rushing Cavs (via Worker-buys) in Karakorum. It is currently getting 70 SPT, which is no bloody use for building anything remotely efficiently before Flight (Flaks), Rocketry (Cruises) or SynthFib (Modern Armour). Or... we could unhook our Salt and build 1T-Knights for upgrading (which I only just now thought of doing...) *facepalm*

Save is below...

Attachments

• MRG_1 Random Rampage 1300 AD.SAV
    281.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Looking good. Once Spain is eliminated we'll have to figure out who to go after next. Unless the AI does it for us again.

Got it, sorry for not getting to this for a few days.

1300 AD (Pre-Flight):

-This empire looks much bigger and more advanced than I remember it, I approve. We now have all the strategic resources except oil! For some reason they were just all spawned on the Western side of this continent, I guess

-Why all the wealth builds in the far off-cities? Seems to me like workers or settlers would be better.

-The entertainer in Tes definitely doesn’t need to be there, switch it to a scientist, which speeds up Combustion to due in 8 instead of 9.

-I don’t see any obvious MM tasks that need to be done anymore, so that’s nice.

-tjs mentioned a disconnect/reconnect scheme with Saltpeter for Knight->Cav upgrades- that might work in a few turns, but right now there’s no workers near our Saltpeter, and our Spanish conquests are generally both under-railroaded and short on workers, making this more difficult than it really needs to be.

-He also mentioned exporting rubber or horses for Combustion to Korea. I drop sci to 0 and see what they’ll trade it for. They’ll offer us Combustion for either Horses+297gpt+WM, Rubber+250gpt+6g+WM, or Horses+Rubber+206gpt+WM (our entire 335 gpt income wasn’t enough to get it without any resources), definitely a steep price- we’ll have it in 8 turns at 40% sci (384 bpt). I’ll leave this up to team discussion.

-For future considerations: We’re currently weak vs. Korea, average vs. Portugal, and strong vs. everyone else. I do note that Portugal has a very tempting Oil source under their recently-built city of Alicante, right near our new Spanish territory….

Think it might be better to wait a turn or two and see what the price will be for combustion then.

I mean it'll drop but it'll presumably just drop proportionately to what we put into researching it

IIRC, Wealth-builds in Spain are because those towns are neither flip- nor (backstab/) capture-proof yet, and until the Resistors are all quelled, we can't rush either (even if we had the gold to do so). So while I agree that Workers/Settlers would be preferable, there's a non-zero risk of losing any accumulated shields before the job completes -- whereas Wealth gives us a guaranteed small return on each turn a town remains under our control.

Not to mention that -- at risk of sounding like a certain delicate yellow flower who posts in the Civ3 GD forum ;) -- it has been my observation that towns seem to flip disproportionately often on interturns directly after I just cash-rushed something (case in point: Santiago actually back-flipped right after I cash-rushed a Worker, wasting that 30-odd gold... :aargh: )

Any Wealth-builds elsewhere are likely due to a lack of imagination on my part (or in a 1-shield town that would build a Worker faster than it grew to Pop2).

Last edited:
IIRC, Wealth-builds in Spain are because those towns are neither flip- nor (backstab/) capture-proof yet, and until the Resistors are all quelled, we can't rush either (even if we had the gold to do so). So while I agree that Workers/Settlers would be preferable, there's a non-zero risk of losing any accumulated shields before the job completes -- whereas Wealth gives us a guaranteed small return on each turn a town remains under our control.

yeah that's fair

Can't upgrade the Keshiks, because we are selling our only Horse-resource -- to Korea! Why?!?
Hmm, I had sold them our horses, because I expected we would hook up a second resource very soonish. (I planned on planting the new town not on the coal, but between the coal and horses, and then hook up both of these resources. Anyway, the prices they offered for those horses was simply too good to refuse... :mischief:

Or... we could unhook our Salt and build 1T-Knights for upgrading (which I only just now thought of doing...)
Remember that we build 60-shield Keshiks, not 70-shield Knights. So if we can get a few more towns to 60spt or 30spt, that might be well worth considering. However, at the moment I think we need any worker we have for rail-roading, don't we?

They’ll offer us Combustion for either Horses+297gpt+WM, Rubber+250gpt+6g+WM, or Horses+Rubber+206gpt+WM
That's between 4000 and almost 6000 gold, plus we would miss out all the gold we could earn by just selling horses and rubber for gpt! No way. I would sell horses and rubber for what we can get and then increase the science rate. (Taking advantage of our universities.)

BTW: I've been away for a weak without internet connection, but I guess you already noticed... ;)

I didn't notice but that's because I was able to get a teaching job and school has started. Also my commute is about an hour to the school. Crazy busy.

@choxorn everything going ok? It's been a little longer than a week. If you're busy like me that's totally understandable. Just let us know if you need a swap!

Sorry, busy week and a half or so, but I should be able to get to playing now.

Good News, Everyone! I've taken Madrid.

Bad News, Everyone! Vitoria flipped and its borders are so expansive I couldn't actually get it back this turn, but luckily it doesn't look like the AI can grab it.

Attachments

• MadridFalls.png
    MadridFalls.png
    885.7 KB · Views: 20
And now Spain's dead! Had to retake a few flipped cities along the way, but they're done now.

I have 4 turns left in the set, but figure I should pause to figure out- who should we go after next? Portugal? Egypt? We're at 18% land area, 29% pop, FWIW. Long as I'm asking, what's better to research next, Flight or Mass Production?

Spoiler :

1300 AD (Pre-Flight):

-This empire looks much bigger and more advanced than I remember it, I approve. We now have all the strategic resources except oil! For some reason they were just all spawned on the Western side of this continent, I guess

-Why all the wealth builds in the far off-cities? Seems to me like workers or settlers would be better.

-The entertainer in Tes definitely doesn’t need to be there, switch it to a scientist, which speeds up Combustion to due in 8 instead of 9.

-I don’t see any obvious MM tasks that need to be done anymore, so that’s nice.

-tjs mentioned a disconnect/reconnect scheme with Saltpeter for Knight->Cav upgrades- that might work in a few turns, but right now there’s no workers near our Saltpeter, and our Spanish conquests are generally both under-railroaded and short on workers, making this more difficult than it really needs to be.

-He also mentioned exporting rubber or horses for Combustion to Korea. I drop sci to 0 and see what they’ll trade it for. They’ll offer us Combustion for either Horses+297gpt+WM, Rubber+250gpt+6g+WM, or Horses+Rubber+206gpt+WM (our entire 335 gpt income wasn’t enough to get it without any resources), definitely a steep price- we’ll have it in 8 turns at 40% sci (384 bpt). I’ll leave this up to team discussion.

-For future considerations: We’re currently weak vs. Korea, average vs. Portugal, and strong vs. everyone else. I do note that Portugal has a very tempting Oil source under their recently-built city of Alicante, right near our new Spanish territory….

-At Lanzelot’s suggestion, I look to trade our excess Horses- and find that Korea, America, and Portugal all have zero gpt to trade. Korea will give 728 gold for Horses, which will let us deficit research, so I make that trade and up sci to 50%, Combustion due in 6 now at -91 gpt. I use 225 of the gold to upgrade 3 captured Spanish trebs to Artillery. To mitigate the gpt loss somewhat I turn all the non-resisting citizens in Palma and Zaragoza into taxmen, while also switching 4 towns in former Byzantium from Wealth to Workers (from what I can tell there actually aren’t any cities in Spain building Wealth), now up to -76 gpt.

IBT:

-Korea and Sumeria sign an MPP

-American LBM kills a 1/4 Spanish Cav, Egypt captures Cadiz, Spain kills 3 Egyptian Cavalry losing a Conquistador in the process, then Korea kills a Spanish LBM and Rifle, getting an MGL, Yi Song-Gye, in the process

-Karakorum: Inf->Inf

-Almarikh: Cav->Cav

-Baruun-Urt: Cav->Cav

-New Ta-Tu: Worker->Worker

-Sumeria completes Universal Suffrage in Ur

1305 AD (Turn 1):

-Galleon unloads 2nd Ta-Tu Army in Santander, I fill it with Cav’s

@Cordoba: Artillery knock 2 of the Rifles down to 2hp and the third to 3, I attack- Cav dies to 3/4 Rifle but redlines it, Inf Army kills Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, and we capture the city and a Cannon (3-1)

-2nd Ta-Tu army heads to Pamplona and kills a Rifle there (4-1)

-Cav kills a Spanish LBM near Madrid (5-1). I should have a lot of troops ready to attack the city… next turn. I bombard it for a bit, quickly realize there’s only 4 riflemen in the city and just one is a veteran, and decide to hold off on further bombardment.

IBT:

-Egypt loses some Cavalry attacking Madrid and Pamplona, Spain counterattacks with Longbowmen with mixed success against Egypt’s Cavs and America’s slow-moving-unit SoD, Korea and Spain sink a few of each other’s ships, a lot more Korean units show up and one of their Cavs kills one of the Rifles in Madrid

-Kazan: Inf->Cav

-Vitoria flips, taking a Guerrilla with it :mad:

-Mandalgovi: Cav->Cav

-Tsetserleg: Cav->Cav

-Ch’ongfu: Aqueduct->Market

-Ereen: Frigate->Library

-Tes: Library->Aqueduct

-Avrayheer: Barracks->Market

1310 AD (Turn 2):

-First order of business, take Madrid: Artillery redline all the units in the city, eCav dies to Rifle, eCav kills Rifle, eGuer kills Rifle, Archer/LBM army kills 2 Rifles, eCav kills Conquistador, we take Madrid and 4 workers (10-2).

-Two Cav armies each kill one Rifle in Vitoria, but to my profound irritation, Vitoria’s borders are just expansive enough that I have no other units in range of the city, and so it will remain Spanish. (12-2) On the bright side, I’m pretty confident none of the AI can reach it.

-Build New Baruun-Urt in former Byzantine territory

IBT:

-Egypt’s Cavs go 2 for 3 in Pamplona, leaving just a conscript rifle defending it, and a Korean Cav dies to the Rifle defending Valencia

-Karakorum: Inf->Inf

-Darhan: Cav->Cav

-Choybalsan: Arty->Arty

-Erdenet: Frigate->Frigate

1315 AD (Turn 3):

@Valencia: Arty redline everything, LBM Armies kill the 3 Rifles + LBM defending, we take the city, and Magellan’s Voyage! (16-2)

@Vitoria: Cav army kills Rifle taking heavy damage, other Cav army kills Rifle + LBM, we retake the city (19-2)

@Pamplona: Arty redline everything, Inf Army kills 2 Rifles, Cav kills LBM, we take the city and 8 workers, 2 of which were apparently ours originally (22-2)

@Seville: Cav Army kills Rifle (23-2)

IBT:

-Spanish LBM’s do battle against the AI units, winning and losing some. I’m surprised when I see a Sumerian MDI attack a Spanish LBM on what’s now Spain’s west coast, about as far from Sumeria as they could be attacking.

-Adrianople: Worker->Worker

-Ta-Tu: University->Army

-Kazan: Cav->Cav

-Tabriz: Cav->Cav

-Dalandzadgad: Cav->Cav

-Tsesterleg: Cav->Cav

1320 AD (Turn 4):

-Guerrilla retreats Conquistador and an LBM kills it (24-2)

@Seville: Redline everything, Cav kills Rifle, Cav dies to Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, Cav dies to Rifle, Cav kills Rifle and generates MGL Mongke, Cav Army kills LBM+Conquistador and we capture the city, the SoZ, and three workers (30-4)

-LBM kills LBM (31-4), and sees a Sumerian stack next to Leon consisting of a Rifle, a Guerrilla, and two… Horsemen?

@Murcia: Redline everything, an LBM army kills 2 Rifles, Cav kills Rifle, take the city (34-4)

-Cav Army kills Rifle in Logrono (35-4)

-Workers hook up the Rubber source near Toledo, I decide to see what Korea and Egypt will offer for it. Once again, neither has any excess gpt, but Korea will offer 1491 gold, which I take. Use some of it to rush a Harbor in Toledo and a Settler in Valladolid.

IBT:

-Sumeria’s landing party does diddly squat to the Riflemen defending Leon

-Karakorum: Inf->Worker (shortrushed into Cav)

-Toledo: Harbor->Worker

-Pamplona flips. Well, I suppose something was inevitably going to…

-Valladolid: Settler->Worker

-Choyr: Aqueduct->Market

1325 AD (Turn 5):

-WW looks like it’s getting a little worse, but I don’t think Spain’s long for this world, so I can handle it with a few specialists for now.

-Cav Army kills 2 Rifles in Pamplona and retakes the city (37-4)

@leon: Redline all units, Cav dies to Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, Cav kills Musket, Cav kills LBM, take the city (40-5)

@Logrono: Cav Army kills 2 Rifles, Inf Army kills 2 Rifles, Cav kills LBM, I take the city (45-5)

-Found New Ereen between Vitoria and Barcelona

IBT:

-Spain signs peace with Sumeria and Korea, and a bunch of the remaining AI units turn around and go home because our units occupy the only way to get to Spain’s last city.

-We finish Combustion, and I start Flight, due in 14 at 50% research

-Karakorum: Cav->Cav

-Kazan: Cav->Cav

-Murcia flips. You’re really lucky Spain’s almost dead or I’d just start burning you all for revolting!

-Tsetserleg: Cav->Cav

1330 AD (Turn 6):

@Almeria: Redline everything, Cav dies to Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, Cav kills Rifle, Cav kills LBM, take the city (48-6)

@Murcia: Redline the rushed Rifles, Cavs kill 2 Rifles (50-6), capture the city, and Spain is no more!

-Flips are no longer an issue so I send all our military into the former Spanish cities to quell the stinking resistance.

-Upgrade 11 Galleons to Transports for 825 gold

-Found New Batshireet on the west coast near some ruins

-Korea has both Flight and Mass Production, I check to see if they’re willing to trade but our advisor “doubts they will accept” 806 gold, 355 gpt, and Ivory for either of them. So that’s a no. We can get Flight in 14 turns or MP in 11 at 50% research, running us -90 gpt in the red. (Pause for Discussion of what to do next)

I think Bombers will be more useful than Tanks, so I'd rather go for Flight.

For our next target I think we should go for Portugal, because Henry doesn' t have Horses/ Cavs (IIRC). While we're doing that, we should also garrison our Byz/Spanish border, so that we can roll on into Egypt (and then America) after Portugal is done.

If we still need territory after that, then we can invade Sumeria...

Top Bottom