1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Music in Gods and Kings

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Guandao, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

In the demo for Gods and Kings, we were given a sneak peek of the music that Curran and Knorr have composed. I heard:

A main theme?, very beautiful singing, but I don't know the language.

The Carthage/Dido peace and war themes-sounds more like Rome's theme then Middle Eastern music, I wonder if it's based on real ancient music.

Attila's peace theme and war theme-peace theme sounds like it has a cello, I wonder if it's Hungarian music or something Central Asian, war theme is not tribal enough for my liking, more like an orchestra

Maria Theresa/Austria peace theme-sounds like classical music, maybe by Mozart?

Haile Selassie/Ethiopia war and peace theme- sounds familiar, not sure if it's Ethiopia's current national anthem

What do you guys think of the music so far? What kind of music do you think the other civs (Maya, Netherlands, Celts, Byzantines, Sweden) will have?

Main Menu Theme: singing in ???? language

Austrian peace/war themes: Mozart????

Byzantine peace/war themes:

Carthage peace/war themes: ancient music????

Celtic peace/war themes:

Dutch peace/war themes:

Ethiopian peace/war themes: something to do with Ethiopian monarchy???

Hun peace/war themes: Central Asian music???

Mayan peace/war themes:

Swedish peace/war themes: Du Gamla, Du Fria?????

Fall of Rome scenario music:

Into the Renaissance music:

Empire of the Smoky Skies music:

2. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

The Byzantines will probably have some sort of church choir as their theme similiar to civ4.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm definitely looking forward to the music. I like what they did in V vanilla and I expect that to continue.

4. SkaisonFire

SkaisonFire Chieftain

I'm Guessing The Netherlands will have the Wilhelmus,Seeing it refrences Willem Van Oranje.

5. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

It bugs me how familiar the Ethiopian music sounds. Austria's one is also very familiar, and is likely Mozart. I Vow to Thee, My Country, is my favourite. I don't think they'll top that for me. The music is one of the things I've been looking forward to most, admittedly.

6. Cicero63

Cicero63 Chieftain

I am not sure if I am correct but from what I heard of Maria Theresa's theme song it sounded a bit like Mozart's Don Giovanni

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Chieftain

You guys could always email the composers and ask. Since we've heard selections from the themes already from the demo, they'd probably be fine with revealing the inspirations for some of the tracks.

8. Liex

Liex Chieftain

If there is a civ that will never run short of good music, that civ is Austria.

(and Russia)

9. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I would love that. and I hope Byzantine peace's music are holy, and war music badass, to the point it can claim Russia's place in the most badass music in CiV.

10. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Mozart for Austria? Wonderful! I'm going to enjoy playing as them!

11. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

Mozart for Austria sounds accurate. From the brief clip they played it sounded like the opening for the Lacrymosa from his Reqiuem.

12. MARDUK80

MARDUK80 Chieftain

The Music sounds absolutely great so far. Would love the get the G&K soundtrack upon release (as I did with the Vanilla Pre-Order Deluxe (Babylon) version). :)

13. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I'm a big fan of Civ 5's leader compositions, and I'm looking forward to what they produce for the new leaders.

For the Celts, there are a lot of things they could go for: a puirt a beul would be similar to what they had (and I enjoyed) in Civ IV: something like this.

As for traditional instruments, uilleann pipes and penny whistles are used widely in Irish and Scottish music.

For the war theme, they might be an obvious choice, but I for one would be disappointed if bagpipes were not involved. :p

14. Eagle Pursuit

That would be awesome if the Celts got bagpipe music.

15. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

I'm sure the music is gonna be nice and all. But what I really want is a MUTE BUTTON. CiV is not the kind of game I want to shut down 50 times every day, just because I want to listen to something else for some minutes on my computer. Alternatively I'm also fine if they would make them game automatically muted if it's not in the focus (alt-tabbed out of the game).

16. Eagle Pursuit

That's not an unreasonable request, I would think. A small button on the interface that allows you to mute the game sound temporarily.

17. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

Is it really that hard to just mute all of the sounds without "pressing Accept" in the SOunds opition?

I can't wait for Dido's music, it sounds beautiful. And I can't wait to hear the other's too, I would love bagpipes, especailly since people are pointing out that Boudicca is more Scottish oriented, and I've always matched bag-pipes to Scotland.

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Except for the whole part where you have to listen to the bagpipes ;)

But fiddle, flute, etc. would all be spectacular.

19. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I' m going to try to send Geoff Knorr or Michael Curran an email. They haven't replied back to me since November. I wonder if they are allowed to tell me anything about the inspiration for the themes.

20. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

While we are at it, lets have an Ocarina!