My First Mac And I'm Loving It!

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Last week I made the switch and bought a 15" Macbook Pro. It's been a little over a week since my purchase and I must say, I'm extremely happy with my decision. We didn't make a full switch, as our desktop is still a Windows machine (Vista), but I find myself rarely turning it on anymore. The majority of what I do I've either found a Mac version that does the same thing, or figured out another way to do it. There are still a few things I need to work out, but I must say I'm very impressed with my Mac.

My original intent was to buy the mini-display to dvi adapter to hook up one of our pre-existing monitors that I believed was of better quality then the smaller Mac screen. The Apple Store was out of them and after I got it home I was rather shocked at how good the screen was on my MBP. I'd much rather watch shows from hulu.com on my 15" MBP then my 20" monitor.

I haven't downloaded very many, but I have been checking out some of the free, or trial-version, applications. One that I've come to really like is 1Password. Once my trial period runs out, I'm definitely buying it.

Though I haven't really used it, I also like the Stickies app. I like how you can alter each separate stickie, even making them translucent or have them float above everything. I haven't really used this yet, but I can see the benefits of it.

I've also installed App Cleaner due to my testing of apps. It's another good one.

I've also noticed that our iPhones gain more features when syncing it to iTunes on the Mac. For instance, we have our contacts set up in groups now. In fact, several things seem to work better with each other on the Mac.

I still have some trouble with minor things, such as wanting to hit F5 to reload the page. When I sit on the couch with my MBP I don't have the room for the mighty mouse (my daughter likes to sit with me or pile stuff on/around me) and the trackpad isn't always convenient, so I'm finding the key commands are the easiest.

I've also found myself switching away from Firefox. There's a significant difference in speed between FF and Safari, so much so that I've been using Safari as my default and dropped FF from the dock. I've also grown really fond of the Top Sites display.

I have a copy of Vista that I will eventually install on a partition, but I haven't done so yet. I really don't want to buy new versions of Civ4, though I may have to if my BTS disk really doesn't work. It doesn't work on the desktop, but several disks don't, so I believe its a computer specific problem, rather then the disks (read: I'm hoping it is). I'm also curious how Fallout 3 and Oblivion do on this computer. I didn't buy this computer as a gaming computer, but I am curious how it handles them. Granted, first I need to find out exactly how big of a partition I need before I do so. I'm thinking 20 GB.

Overall, I really like my Mac. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm very impressed with what I've learned so far. The nice thing is both Apple and a couple other individuals post podcasts that explain both tricks and how-to's regarding certain items on the Mac, so locating info is very easy when I'm stumped on how to do something. I even joked with my wife that when the desktop finally does die, I'm tempted to replace it with either an iMac or a Mini.

Just curious, but what all apps have the rest of you Mac users found as must have?

Just curious, but what all apps have the rest of you Mac users found as must have?
I haven't downloaded very many, but I have been checking out some of the free, or trial-version, applications.
For graphics work I do just fine with a combination of GIMP & GraphicConverter.
When I sit on the couch with my MBP I don't have the room for the mighty mouse (my daughter likes to sit with me or pile stuff on/around me) and the trackpad isn't always convenient, so I'm finding the key commands are the easiest.
Consider a trackball. I hate going back to a mouse when I'm on someone else's computer.
I've also found myself switching away from Firefox. There's a significant difference in speed between FF and Safari, so much so that I've been using Safari as my default and dropped FF from the dock.
If you stick with Safari be sure to stay up with the updates/patches. Browsers are always a security weakpoint & hackers seem to love the name-brands.
I have a copy of Vista that I will eventually install on a partition, but I haven't done so yet. ... Granted, first I need to find out exactly how big of a partition I need before I do so. I'm thinking 20 GB.
Parallels doesn't need partitions. The portion of the hd set aside for the windows virtual machine is expandable.

Its great to see a happy Mac convert here! :goodjob:

Really the only thing I do on a regular basis on my computer is mod/play Civ and surf the web, so there isn't a whole lot I can recommend for good apps, but one thing that I've come to love is the text editor I use, called Smultron. (Check to Mac Modding Index in my sig, under the utilities section.) Its a great free app, and although development on it has recently stopped, it beats the hell out of TextEdit! I also use GIMP, since its way faster and simpler than Photoshop (at least for me).

I've never used a trackball, but I use a wireless 3 button mouse instead of the mighty mouse, since the one that came with my iMac went slightly screwy. When I'm using Blender and other apps, having a RMB and MMB is a necessity, so if you haven't already config your mouse to use those. The only thing I've had to change is to hit shift for horizontal scroll, but using right mouse on the mighty mouse is a bit too awkward for me.

One tip that I can think of right now is shift--3 for fullscreen screenshot and shift--4 for a drag-box screenshot. This is the only way I know of that works to takes screens in Civ...

Just to reply on the bootcamp mention...
I'm curious as to what your hardware is (i.e. Ram, hard drive, processors, graphics card, etc.) If you can give up the hard drive space, then go for Bootcamp, as you'll get full access to your Ram. I think all of the new MBP's should have plenty of Ram to go around for Parallels, but if you don't mind booting and giving up the space, then I'd say Bootcamp is better.
Parallels is a great option, since you don't have to boot or partition your drive. If you don't mind shelling out a few more bucks, and you can access plenty of Ram (I think its a maximum of 1/2), then go for Parallels.
A third, much less desirable situation (i.e. mine ;) ) is Crossover. Its nice that it integrates fully with OS X and can access all of your available memory, but it has some difficulty running a lot of unsupported programs. The only people I've seen get Civ IV going are those with a Bootcamp partition or Civ Complete. (I've only been able to run Colonization :( ) The only reason that I have it is because it was part of a free giveaway, Tiger no longer has Bootcamp available, and I only have 512 Mb of Ram (we'll see how long it takes for me to get fed up with speed issues, I'm trying to hold off on more RAM until X-Mas, but Civ+Safari+2-3 modding apps really drags on my machine.)

I should leave the opinions on Bootcamp/Parallels to those who actually have them, but I couldn't resist giving my opinion on what others have said. Anyway, have fun with your new Mac! :)

and shift--4 for a drag-box screenshot.

Add a click of the space bar (after the above combo) and it switches from a drag-box to a little camera icon that takes a full picture of whatever window you are hovering over at that time. For some reason I couldn't get the .png screenshots to post correctly when I uploaded them to my server, so I used Tinkertool to switch them to jpeg and now uploading them works just fine. The png screenshots acted like files on the server instead of pics.

I'm curious as to what your hardware is (i.e. Ram, hard drive, processors, graphics card, etc.)

15" 2.53 with 4 gig of RAM. 250 GB HD and I believe its the 9400 graphics card.

I'm using Text Wrangler for my text editor. If I remember correctly, its a free version of BBCode. I'm not yet ready to pay for the full version. Edit: It's BBEdit from Bare Bones Software, not BBCode.

I have considered Parallels, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the money. It seems rather high, especially when I don't believe I'll be using Windows that much. Plus, recall that I still have our Vista desktop, so unless my wife is using that computer, I can always use it. Unless I can find Parallels cheap on eBay or someplace, I don't believe its worth it yet.

One thing that I don't like is that it doesn't accept micro SD cards in the SD card slot. Turns out my wife's camera uses the micro SD card instead. Oh well, just have to use the cable instead.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it exactly that pulls you to the mac? What makes it so much better for you? my school has some fairly modern macs in one of it's computer lab, and I just couldn't like it no matter how I tried, I went back to Win7 and was far happier.

One thing that I don't like is that it doesn't accept micro SD cards in the SD card slot. Turns out my wife's camera uses the micro SD card instead. Oh well, just have to use the cable instead.
You don't have a card insert you can put the microSD card into which you can then put into the SD card slot? I haven't had a problem when using one of those.

I cant say I like macs that much. Probably because ive been using Windows for pretty much all of my computing life. I know my way around windows, its familiar, and even after spending hours on the macs in the school lab, I can't say im comfortable with using them.

With that being said, its good that you're happy with your mac. I dont much care for the mac vs pc debate, as you should use what works for you.

Good to hear you're enjoying your new Mac, Methos.

You might want to have a look at VirtualBox from Sun. It's free, but not as full featured as Parallels. I haven't tried it with Civ4 yet so I don't know how well it handles DirectX3D, but it's OK as a general virtualization app for WIndows, Linux etc. It can run with a dynamic virtual disk, like Parallels. With 4GBytes of RAM you'll have no problem running a second OS.

If you add Control to the standard screenshot shortcuts, the image is placed on the clipboard instead of in a desktop file. You can then use Preview->New from clipboard to create a file in any location and format you like, or just paste it into a mail or document. Preview is a terrific application - check it out. Your server sounds as if it isn't configured to serve .png as an image file. If it's Apache, put:

AddType image/png .png

in the .htaccess text file at the top level.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it exactly that pulls you to the mac?

It wasn't so much what pulled me to the Mac, but what pushed me there. Though Windows 7 does seem like it'll be much better quality then Vista, I still have no desire to get a new computer with it installed. Actually, with either Windows 7 or Vista installed. I can honestly say that when I realized that there was a chance if I bought a Windows machine on it that it would have Windows 7, I actually had a bad taste in my mouth and no desire at all for it. So what pulled me towards a Mac? Why, Microsoft did.

You don't have a card insert you can put the microSD card into which you can then put into the SD card slot?

No, but the camera came with a usb cable, so we're good.

You might want to have a look at VirtualBox from Sun.

It was starting to work great, until I noticed after I put in my product key that it stated I must start from an installation of Windows. I forgot that I bought the Vista upgrade. Not sure where my XP install disks are.

Your server sounds as if it isn't configured to serve .png as an image file. If it's Apache, put:

AddType image/png .png

in the .htaccess text file at the top level.

Hehe, it's not my server, but CFCs. I've used png before, so not sure why it isn't working now. Oddly, when someone else tried to view the link they received the typical CFC page that states no such page exists. When I tried it I got the option to download the file. Using Tinkertool I reset it to save as a jpeg file and moved it to /Pictures/Screenshots and when I uploaded it, it worked just fine.

Hmm. Well, I use .png files with no problem on the GOTM server. Our SGOTM awards are all .png. Here's one ...

I've used png files on mine before too without any problem, so not sure why it didn't work this time. Maybe the default setting wasn't truly set at png, which doesn't really make sense, as I was able to view them fine on my Mac. No one could view them once uploaded.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to take pictures with the built-in camera. That first day I managed to do it with iMovie, which my daughter had a blast watching herself.

Use Photobooth. It should be in your Apps folder.

What's so bad about Windows 7, OOI?

(You can still get new computers with XP anyway, which does me fine.)

What's so bad about Windows 7, OOI?

Until it comes out, that's hard to say. My reasons are mainly due to past experiences with Vista. Yes, I've overcome them, but the question can be asked, why did I have to overcome them in the first place?

(You can still get new computers with XP anyway, which does me fine.)

We still use XP at work and if I can find my original XP disks then I'll install that using Virtualbox without upgrading to Vista.

Windows 7 RTM has been out for a while now, and its a major improvement over Vista.

You might want to have a look at VirtualBox from Sun. It's free, but not as full featured as Parallels. I haven't tried it with Civ4 yet so I don't know how well it handles DirectX3D, but it's OK as a general virtualization app for WIndows, Linux etc. It can run with a dynamic virtual disk, like Parallels. With 4GBytes of RAM you'll have no problem running a second OS.

I tried running Windows 7 Release Candidate on Virtual Box (with an XP Home host) in August, and the Direct3D support was pretty crummy. I tried with Half-Life as it's not that demanding and allowed me to test DirectX, OpenGL, and software rendering. OpenGL had a lot of artifacts, DirectX had even more, and software mode looked the best overall. The mouse movements also were far too jerky, although that may not be an issue in Civ4 as it is in an FPS game. VirtualBox's 3D support is still experimental, and it shows with a Windows guest. CompizFusion in Ubuntu works well enough (though probably a lot slower than a native install), but unless you have the time to experiment and see how it does with Civ4, I wouldn't recommend VirtualBox for playing 3D games. Perhaps with the 3.1 release they'll get it better - or perhaps the situation is better with a Mac host.

The only friend that I know of using Parallels has a GMA 950 in his MacBook, so Civ4 is a no-go for him. Civ3 works well, but it probably would run okay in VirtualBox, too.

I had heard that Apple had significantly improved their screens in recent Macs; apparently it's true. Always good to know. Also find it interesting that Microsoft was your main motivation to buy Apple - I haven't been thrilled with newer versions of Windows, either.

I have used Windows for years and I could not switch to a Mac. My aunt has an Intel Mac and I have used it with no issues. Though I would not switch to a Mac due because the programs that I use (mostly games) are geared for a Windows OS. I know there are emulating programs for Mac and dual-booting.

Top Bottom