Easy
Winged Spear

Ports:
Nemo
Troy
Negresco
Hall of Flames

In other news...
I was thinking that once the other teams figure out that we're the Byzantines we would call our armies Legions and units as Cohorts (Roman Groups of Soldiers) to express our Roman background. This is going after what I do when I play as the Byzantines.
Spoiler Example :
Cohorts in Army groups (Not armies but stacks) could have names like...
1st Legion, 2nd Infantry Cohort (Or... Main Stack 1, 2nd Swordsman in the Stack).
So, what do you guys think?

The Byzantines didn't use that military formation. If we were Rome, than that would be a good idea. But we aren't playing as Rome.

Plus, the naming convention would be more like "Legio I <insert region>"

I see the Byzantines as a Medieval Civ. In the Ancient Age they would have been the Romans or the Eastern Roman Empire. The Romans (and I believe the Eastern Romans did too) used the Legion formation.

I've picked up the impression that we wanted our city names to somehow relate to the word Eagle. The relation can be direct, like Eagle in a non-English language, or indirect, like Philadelphia, home of the NFL team named Eagles, or Captain John Smith and Lieutenant Morris Schaffer, characters from the movie/book Where Eagles Dare. Or something relating to birds/eagles in general (Aerie) or parts of birds (Tuscan Talon).

With that in mind, my suggested city names of
  • Nanny-nanny-boo-boo
  • This Space Left Blank
  • The Undecided
  • 5th Best City
  • Packers 31, Steelers 25

need to be removed from consideration. They were aimed at a city name to confuse our opponents, but do not relate to Eagles in any manner.

City Naming Idea
Back in MTDG 1, Team KISS had a city naming thread and each person was allowed to submit two city names. In MTDG 2, that did not work with Team FREE; no one submitted names. I didn't name the early cities of FREE; Kremlin, Kazungudom, Ishme-Shamash, Weltonspolt and Ninhursag-Ki were named by the turn player, Kuningas. Most of those I named had Free in the name or an allusion to it. (Some that did not: Marad-Dur, Numenor, Perelandra, Chicago XIII (it was the 13th spot on the dot map) and TaTuba). So, Sugar-Free Wheaties, Freetoes, Coastal Geeks and the inspired name of Lake Port were all mine.

Which brings me to this point: naming cities to reflect a theme is hard. And Eagles seems to be a lot more limited than Free. Which means we'll have to more creative.

What if we allowed each Eagle to submit only two city names? Would that be too restrictive? I think we would get a more focused effort on city names that way. If I/we can submit only two, they will have to good names and not off-the-cuff trash like This Space Left Blank.

Cities: I'm all for the 2 city names/ Eagle suggestion.

Other Realated News: What will our curragh be called? I usually name all of my ships something like... CPS (Celtic Peoples' Ship) Alesia (DD-02). If we want to use the name system for designating ship and type (the DD-02 thing) then I can give you my key (Curragh is CU-00).

For my ship name suggestions...
1. City Names in order of Importance (Capital is always first)
2. Players on our team (Cyc, Calis, CommandoBob, etc.)
3. Explorer-Based Names for Curraghs/ Fire-Based Names for Dromons
4. More Eagle-related stuff.

Tuscan Talon was my suggestion and was approved for our second city. I only make suggestions to help. I don't need to make a second and will go to the back of the line. I am honored to have named TT. In fact, if we ever do city Mayors, I'll volunteer as TT's. But I'd like to see others name a city before I get another turn.

And for explorers, Lewis and Clark get my vote.

Crystal Palace (in honour of my old local football team, nicknames the Eagles)
Tequila Sunrise (from the ageing, middle of the road rock band)
Lagos (the Nigerian football team are also nicknames the Eagles)
Baldeagle

Byzantine Empire was definitely Roman, Emperor Constantine(Roman) is how Constantinople is named. Also considered "New Rome"
In the 7th century becomes Greek

I too play as the Byzantines and in the The 3 Crusader Kings I use a combination of Roman and Greek names for leaders, Armies, units and ships.
I use " Behind the Name " to help me with this epic challenge. As mentioned previously by Sparthage I too use city names in unit naming like "Livius of Aeries" or "Livius Aeries the Swordsman" which is very over zealous but I enjoy writing about each units adventures, furture groups of units become Legions:mischief:

Edit; Admiral Marinus uses Greek Fire and defeats a major Navy

I don't have a problem with Legions or Cohorts or Campaigns of any label. This is the stuff a good Democracy game is made of. If one faction of our military uses names or titles tied to yesteryear or even recent military heritage, while another, say one focused on the future of our young nation, or perhaps from a different background, so be it. Great Generals tend to go their own way sometimes. The nomenclature of chess pieces on the world map may vary, but each General understands the essence of the piece. Just as each General must learn what their enemies call their chess pieces and what they represent.

With these groups of units named and possibly granted legendary status, this gives ample ammunition for the great writers among us who will record our glory days. Give them the names of our Commanders and Generals to call out as they peice together the stories of battles won and foes conquered.

I don't have a problem with Legions or Cohorts or Campaigns of any label. This is the stuff a good Democracy game is made of. If one faction of our military uses names or titles tied to yesteryear or even recent military heritage, while another, say one focused on the future of our young nation, or perhaps from a different background, so be it. Great Generals tend to go their own way sometimes. The nomenclature of chess pieces on the world map may vary, but each General understands the essence of the piece. Just as each General must learn what their enemies call their chess pieces and what they represent.

With these groups of units named and possibly granted legendary status, this gives ample ammunition for the great writers among us who will record our glory days. Give them the names of our Commanders and Generals to call out as they peice together the stories of battles won and foes conquered.
:clap: :hatsoff:

The S.S. ISDG.

Alright, two sections for me...

Ship Prefixes-
CFS- CivFanatics Ship
IES- Imperial Eagle Ship
EPS- Eagle People's Ship

Ship Names Based on Exploration:
Explorer
Voyager
Pathfinder
Enterprise (their continuing mission is to seek out new life where no Eagle has gone before)
Foglifter

Ship Prefixes-
CFS- CivFanatics Ship No thanks. CivFanatics has been WAAAY over-used in all DGs.
IES- Imperial Eagle Ship No thanks. Would rather not be seen as an imperialist.
EPS- Eagle People's Ship. Hmm. Now this has potential...
TSF- Thorondor's Soaring Fleet. Maybe.
NEE- Navy of the Eagle Empire. :) This one I like.

Explorer
Voyager
Pathfinder
Enterprise (their continuing mission is to seek out new life where no Eagle has gone before)
Foglifter.

These are good.

Would Eagleprise be too hokey?

Ship Prefixes-
EPS- Eagle People's Ship. Hmm. Now this has potential... :goodjob:
TSF- Thorondor's Soaring Fleet. Maybe. I don't like this one because I see ships as a single ship, not a fleet.
NEE- Navy of the Eagle Empire. :) This one I like. Same reason as above, though it would make a good official name for our glorious armadas.

Top Bottom